Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Svendborg looks like a beautiful little place; it must have been lovely sailing around the town.

Where would they normally leave the Dannebrog yo go to Fredensborg? Would that suggest they would have gone up north instead of sail south?

Helsingør would be the natural place to disembark for Fredensborg. - You know, the town of Kronborg, Hamlet and all that.
The fastest route would IMO be sailing north up through Store Bælt, north across Zealand and enter Helsingør from the north.
If they were going to Copenhagen, the most natural route IMO would be south of Zealand.

Map: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vP9zpb8O...5Q/wd1qJiGaJjI/s1600/Denmark-physical-map.gif

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen and Ulrik Ulriksen.

Having finished her summer cruise in the town of Svendborg QMII received M&F and J&M at Dannebrog shortly before noon, Friday.
The ship sailed and went the long, but very scenic route west from Svendborg and up north through Lille Belt, the narrow sound between Funen and Jutland. Then east, north of Funen and Zealand, arriving in Helsingør Saturday at 11.00.
At some point during the way PH's ashes was spread over the sea.

- My qualified guess says a short distance from Svendborg, somewhere among the many islands there. Because our Marie was to attend an event at Gråsten Saturday forenoon, so it's likely she (and perhaps Joachim) left the ship within a few hours after the ceremony.

At some point prior to the ceremony Friday, PH's urn was buried in the private garden at Fredensborg. - There is no mentioning of a stone marking the place, nor is there any mentioning as to when that took place and who were present.
However, BB clearly know something, but has seemingly chosen to respect the DRF wish about the details about the ceremonies being kept private. Because a caption mentions that Joachim and Marie were present when the urn was buried. (That's hardly surprising, but still.)

- The scans will be uploaded in the Flag Day thread, when I have scanned the mag.

Some photos for reflection.

As you all know PH suffered from dementia and that has raised the awareness of that dreadful affliction here in DK.
Most who suffer from dementia/Alzheimers want to "go home" at some point as these poignant photos illustrate: https://politiken.dk/fotografier/Fo...ogen-der-kan-hjælpe-Jeg-vil-så-gerne-...-hjem
(The article may take time to load.)

Hence why so many, if not most, retirement homes here in DK have "bus stops", complete with benches.

Let us allow ourselves the selfish hope that no one near and dear to us ever get to this stage and beyond...

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm glad that close friends of Prince Henrik are expected to attend. I understand that the sole friend at his funeral was sent as a representative of all of his friends, but the others will surely appreciate the opportunity to formally bid him farewell.

A nice way to pay tribute to the prince.

Given that Prince Henrik was principally raised in Vietnam and that he was brought up speaking Vietnamese, it is notable that he was apparently perceived as simply a Frenchman by the Danes. Did he indeed lose his ties to Vietnam after he completed his education?

I'm glad that close friends of Prince Henrik are expected to attend. I understand that the sole friend at his funeral was sent as a representative of all of his friends, but the others will surely appreciate the opportunity to formally bid him farewell.

They did have an opportunity to bid him farewell on the 19th of February last year when friends and patronages had been invited for a special event.

Castrum Doloris for særligt indbudte gæster | Kongehuset

They did have an opportunity to bid him farewell on the 19th of February last year when friends and patronages had been invited for a special event.

Castrum Doloris for særligt indbudte gæster | Kongehuset
Thank you, that is an appropriately meaningful memorial indeed. It is a relief to have been wrong regarding the inclusion of his friends. [emoji2]
I was outside the church during the memorial ceremony and paid my respects before the castrum doloris afterwards. It was very dignified and very grand.

Given that Prince Henrik was principally raised in Vietnam and that he was brought up speaking Vietnamese, it is notable that he was apparently perceived as simply a Frenchman by the Danes. Did he indeed lose his ties to Vietnam after he completed his education?

Since Vietnam was a French colony during the period of Henrik's childhood, it is more likely that he grew up with French as his primary language and learned to speak Vietnamese as well...particularly as French was the language of the upper classes in colonial Vietnam.

Maybe that is why he was always perceived as principally a Frenchman. He was part of the large group of French expatriate aristocrats living in Southeast Asia.

Lovely gallery of Henrik from the DRF. In the second photo he looks so much like little Josephine!

Since Vietnam was a French colony during the period of Henrik's childhood, it is more likely that he grew up with French as his primary language and learned to speak Vietnamese as well...particularly as French was the language of the upper classes in colonial Vietnam.

Maybe that is why he was always perceived as principally a Frenchman. He was part of the large group of French expatriate aristocrats living in Southeast Asia.

True, that would account for the perception. Interestingly, though, a Norwegian historian Trond Norén Isaksen described Henrik as speaking better Vietnamese than French as a child.

He wasn't principally raised in Vietnam though. He moved back to France when he was 5 years old (where he was born). Of 18 years of childhood, he spent 11 in France. He returned in 1950 for two years where he finished school. He was a French born citizen, born to French parents, who lived for a time in a French colony. As an adult he served in the French army and in the French foreign office. He was exactly that, a French citizen. He was an expat at best during his time in Vietnam. It would be odd IMO if anyone considered him anything but French.

He wasn't principally raised in Vietnam though. He moved back to France when he was 5 years old (where he was born). Of 18 years of childhood, he spent 11 in France. He returned in 1950 for two years where he finished school. He was a French born citizen, born to French parents, who lived for a time in a French colony. As an adult he served in the French army and in the French foreign office. He was exactly that, a French citizen. He was an expat at best during his time in Vietnam. It would be odd IMO if anyone considered him anything but French.

You're right! I misread the dates in the obituary and stand corrected. :flowers:

Odd perhaps, but in some other monarchies it would have been more noticed - Prince Philip in the United Kingdom has been referred to as "German" though neither he nor his parents were German citizens and he lived in Germany for a mere year. In comparison, despite Prince Henrik's relatively short time in Vietnam, he has given the impression that his years living there significantly affected him and influenced his perspectives, as the bishop mentioned in his sermon.

You're right! I misread the dates in the obituary and stand corrected. :flowers:

Odd perhaps, but in some other monarchies it would have been more noticed - Prince Philip in the United Kingdom has been referred to as "German" though neither he nor his parents were German citizens and he lived in Germany for a mere year. In comparison, despite Prince Henrik's relatively short time in Vietnam, he has given the impression that his years living there significantly affected him and influenced his perspectives, as the bishop mentioned in his sermon.

Prince Philip is no German but as his maternal grandfather was Ludwig Prinz von Hessen-Darmstadt (named Von Battenberg) and his maternal grandmother was Viktoria Prinzessin von Hessen und bei Rhein, there is a firm teutonic part in him, of course. The labelling German is often used in a negative connotation, in disfavour of the Duke.

In a recent interview Joachim said this about the last days of his father:

Vi kunne godt se, at det begyndte at gå ned ad bakke med min far. De sidste to uger gik det relativt hurtigt, og gudskelov for det. Han nåede ikke at lide. Han nåede at leve. Og det skal man ønske for sine nærmeste. At de ikke lider.

"We could tell that it began to go downhill for my father. During the last two week it went (downhill) relatively fast and thank God for that. He didn't linger long enough to suffer. (The meaning of the next sentence is not clear to me, but I will translate it to something like this:) He lingered long enough for the family to say goodbye. And that's what you must wish for the dearest to you. That they don't suffer."

Last edited:
What a wonderful memory to hold on to.

The IMO currently best royal reporter on BB, Trine Larsen, has been remembering PH and the relationship between them, that over the years developed into a professional friendship.
Each year on her birthday, he sang the birthday song for her.

- A nice touch you rarely see between royals and royal reporters.

Very considerate of him. I can see why many of the Danes who met Prince Henrik were fond of him.

I have a question to ask in regard to the sermon given at the Prince's funeral. If I understood it correctly, the bishop remarked that along with the missing job description and title of a male consort, "other" circumstances probably had a role in the prince's feelings of being excluded and overlooked. What other circumstances was the bishop pointing to?

Mindre lykkelig følte prinsen sin rolle i det danske monarki og med årene kom hans kritik heraf stærkere frem. Han følte sig undertiden forbigået og overset, og gav den manglende arbejdsbeskrivelse og titulatur for prinsgemaler skylden. Andre forhold har sikkert også spillet ind, men hans kritik fyldte meget i spalterne og delte befolkningen i to grupper: De som forstod prinsens anfægtelser, og de som kritiserede ham.​

Mindre lykkelig følte prinsen sin rolle i det danske monarki og med årene kom hans kritik heraf stærkere frem. Han følte sig undertiden forbigået og overset, og gav den manglende arbejdsbeskrivelse og titulatur for prinsgemaler skylden. Andre forhold har sikkert også spillet ind, men hans kritik fyldte meget i spalterne og delte befolkningen i to grupper: De som forstod prinsens anfægtelser, og de som kritiserede ham.

"Less happy did the Prince feel with his role in the Danish monarchy and over the years his criticism of that emerged ever stronger. At times he fell passe by and overlooked, and blamed the lacking job-description and title for prince consorts. Other causes were surely also a factor, but his criticism took up a lot of space in the (newspaper) columns and divided the population into two groups: Those who understood the reservations of the Prince and those who criticized him."

The circumstances referred to can be anything. General dissatisfaction about not being number two in regards to the Constitution. I.e. feeling usurped by his oldest son.
Not feeling his title reflected his position within the family. I.e. as head of the family and an equal to his wife.
Feeling at times unappreciated for his work and ridiculed.
You continue the list.

Last edited:
In reading the above, IMO, The Prince loved his wife very much, however, he resented her being Queen and loved by her Country. The Prince wanted to be King and the head of Denmark, even though he was born in France and with that and other laws, it meant he never could be King. His resentment in many ways ate at him and we all saw in the last years. It was a very sad situation. I can only imagine how bad it was behind the Castle walls. I hope the Prince is resting in peace now. Again this is my own opinion.

Had PH been an ordinary Dane, no one would have lifted even half an eyebrow.

I'd say the vast majority here in DK are cremated. And I'll also say that the majority are buried in an unmarked grave.

It it quite common to have your ashes spread at sea.

Many are buried (usually an urn) in a forest, like PH will be. - Or more correctly PH's urn will be buried among trees in the private part of the park around Fredensborg.

A relative minority prefer to be buried in marked graves or family plots.

Then there are those who belong to other faiths like Jews, Buddhist, Muslims, Asa-followers and atheists of course who have their special plots in the state cemeteries, - which are for all.

What is unusual is that PH's burial wishes is singular among the DRF. Normally they are entombed, or buried in a coffin like Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.

DR: The former master of ceremonies Christian Eugen-Olsen (the guy I mentioned in the above post) said on DR1 that he's glad that PH whises to be cremated, with half his ashes being spread over the sea, and the other half being put in an urn and buried at Fredensborg. - Why? Because that shows that he saw himself as Danish. He repeats that ''PH is a Dane and has always felt like a Dane''.

So whilst his burial plans were singular for a very senior royal, they conformed to the experiences of most ordinary Danes. I wonder if it was his riposte to his acquired reputation as a "vain Frenchman"?

Okay, what I'm going to say now may be considered controversial by some, so be it.
I think the DRF have interpreted the court mourning very strictly, almost to the point of making a statement IMO.
I can completely understand the DRF not attending celebratory events. And I totally understand QMII taking a few weeks off for reflection, I would also take time off in her place. That's natural.
However, the DRF went almost completely under ground for these past four weeks, only attending what was absolutely necessary.
To me it is almost like they are saying: PH was not universally appreciated while he was alive, but this is how important he was to us. Get it!?!

I completely agree. I am very surprised by the very strict interpretation.

Was mourning interpreted more leniently in connection with Queen Ingrid's passing?

So whilst his burial plans were singular for a very senior royal, they conformed to the experiences of most ordinary Danes. I wonder if it was his riposte to his acquired reputation as a "vain Frenchman"?

Was mourning interpreted more leniently in connection with Queen Ingrid's passing?

Thank you. It is always interesting to hear the thoughts of people who were residents of the country at the time.

Could be, but I honestly don't think so. I think his wish about being cremated was genuine and in accordance with his beliefs, that leaned towards Buddhism.
It was no secret he loved the sea and Dannebrog and I think being partially buried at Fredensborg was so that his family could privately visit him, whenever they wanted to.

The mourning in regards to Queen Ingrid was never a topic as far as I can recall. Nor was it so sternly observed, again IRRC.

I was surprised about the reaction of France when he passed away.

Is there an English translation of the Bishops sermon at Prince Henrik funeral

https://www.bt.dk/royale/dronning-m...s-henrik-var-syg-i-meget-laengere-tid-end-man

In a biography about QMII that will be published shortly, QMII's very close friends, Birgitta Hillingså, says: "It became some really tough years for her and I think it was lonely for her at the end. You know from people who have had a spouse suffering from dementia that it is devastating and exhausting. But she never complained."

Because PH was actually affected by dementia for years before he was officially diagnosed.
Birgitta Hillingsø: "The poor man could read for himself in the papers that he didn't know what he was doing. I felt so sorry for him. It was good that he died before he deteriorated really badly. I think all were relieved for him."

The author is Thomas Larsen, who is royal reporter for the conservative newspaper Berlingske - that should guarantee a certain quality.

Agree. I think both comfort each other with a smile. Christian looking at the adult to see everything will be okay and the Queen looking at her grandson, the kids the future.

QMII who was a keen painter hasn't painted much since the death of her husband. She appears to miss the artistic inputs from her husband.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-henriks-doed-aendrede-alt-dronningen-mistede-lysten-til-at-male

"I have painted very little, since he died." Adding that she missed the artistic sense of PH.
"That might be the reason for me having painted very little for the past two-three years."
That was said during a recent documentary.

It seems the indirect influence Prince Henrik had on the Queen and her development was even greater than publicly known.

Back
Top Bottom