Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps. ?...it's very common to begin to crack jokes about the deceased and tell funny anecdotes and have a good laugh.
That's especially common if the person had many friends and was a lively person, as PH was. If the mood ends up being merry, it's considered a good send off.
The aftermath of a funeral is very often a somber-merry event. It's very difficult to explain, you have to experience it...
It's a culture and psychology thing I guess.
My point is, I (and I think I speak for most Danes here that I know) won't get offended by the odd joke about PH or cheerful remark. We may drop one ourselves. ;)
In fact I have restrained myself on that account while posting in this thread, because of this being an international forum with people from different cultures.

In my area of the US, filled with descendents of Irish, Hungarian, Polish immigrants, we too appreciate a humorous remembrance of loved ones. It's not unusual in Catholic burial services, if the Father knew the deceased, for them to share the odd tale that brings a grin to the faces of family and friends. Of course, they also focus on accomplishments. I remember making arrangements for my Dad's burial (he died of progressive issues from dementia) and the Funeral Director who knew our family fairly well, brought up old war stories about both my Dad and Mom and I know we appreciated the break for the intensity of what we had just been through. Humor can heal.
Love is complex and in mature societies we appreciate both the strengths and the challenges faced by the people we lose. And we appreciate in a variety of ways.
Henrik got a lot of critique here in my years on TRF. I'm happy to see people remembering and appreciating him in so many different ways here. He could be a pip - but then, can't we all? Better to chuckle about it than to hold it in!
My thoughts are with all of you who cared about him, all Danes and the delightful DRF in this time of loss and change.

Thanks for your thorough explanations Muhler (as always!)

I see Mary's wearing the diamond brooch she received from Henri in her early days as a princess. Apropriate.

Very sweet gesture.

What a dignified, sweet, close family. They are a real example. Just what a royal family should be.

Maybe it's because I've been battling the nastiest flu this week, but PH's passing has really affected me. No matter how old or privileged you are, sickness and death are always tragic. Here was someone's husband, grandfather, friend, father who will be missed. God bless them.

To Mr Muhler
What do you think about the message posted by your Minister of Culture Mette Boch
calling out the Danes on their hypocrisy regarding Prince Henrik .
To me she should say that after the Mourning.

To Mr Muhler
What do you think about the message posted by your Minister of Culture Mette Boch
calling out the Danes on their hypocrisy regarding Prince Henrik .
To me she should say that after the Mourning.

I totally agree with you, and she has got a lot of flak in return for that!
Especially as she hasn't been that respectful against the DRF herself.
Her timing was inappropriate, especially for a current minister and her attack was un-nuanced.

Well, she (and her party) is a nobody, and come next election she'll be forgotten.

- If someone wish to know more, I'll leave the summary/translation to someone else. I can't be bothered. I've got more important things to do, like cutting my toenails.

:previous: He was such a hunk when he was young! Lovely tribute.

Perhaps. ?

I don't know how it is with funerals in your countries. In DK we have an ancient tradition called "gravøl" = grave-beer. Beforehand people actually got drunk in honor of the deceased. Nowadays it's coffee and pastry - and sometimes a schnapps.
Initially the mood is somber, but unless it's a sudden death where everyone are still in shock or worse a child, it's very common to begin to crack jokes about the deceased and tell funny anecdotes and have a good laugh.
That's especially common if the person had many friends and was a lively person, as PH was. If the mood ends up being merry, it's considered a good send off.
The aftermath of a funeral is very often a somber-merry event. It's very difficult to explain, you have to experience it.

That has also been evident here in the days after PH's death. There are many funny anecdotes about PH these days. And the first bad jokes about PH have also surfaced. - As indeed they did after the death of Queen Ingrid
It's a culture and psychology thing I guess.

My point is, I (and I think I speak for most Danes here that I know) won't get offended by the odd joke about PH or cheerful remark. We may drop one ourselves. ;)
In fact I have restrained myself on that account while posting in this thread, because of this being an international forum with people from different cultures.

Muhler! I so appreciate your comments and your restraint in repeating the bad/ good jokes about PH! This custom of gravol (the word itself is a joke as 'gravol' in English is a drug commonly used by people to avoid getting sick while travelling!:lol:) However, and I am sure I speak for many of your devoted readers: please SHARE THE JOKES! We have a similar gravol culture in the Anglo world: it is called 'a wake'. In Newfoundland, people often have three days of wakes: for colleagues, friends and family, with different levels of jokes, drinking and seriousness for each group:cool: Wakes can become quite rowdy and are often celebrated with the casket in the same space: 'be quiet or you'll wake the dead' being a frequent joke! If fellow readers become offended by the jokes, you can always explain (as you already have!) that its a cultural thing; there are lots of other sites where readers so inclined can immerse themselves in more serious reflections on life, death and where to buy the best Danish beer:cheers:

Wow large banner showing a good looking Prince. Very nice from the French Embassy.
Often see Josephine and Athina together. Always looking very cute.

I've just gone through the pictures our Muhler has posted in the Fashion and Style of Royal Men and its prompted me to relate a scenario that keeps flashing through my mind these past few days.

I sincerely believe that when its our time to go Home, we are welcomed and embraced by our loved ones that have gone before us. I picture Queen Margrethe arriving Home when her time comes and not having any trouble at all finding her beloved Henrik in the welcoming committee as he'll be front and center wearing his (what I like to call) Zorba the Grape outfit. :D

:previous: He was such a hunk when he was young! Lovely tribute.

He really was, I must say!! Very handsome! :flowers:

Wow large banner showing a good looking Prince. Very nice from the French Embassy.
Often see Josephine and Athina together. Always looking very cute.

Josephine and Athina seem like really good friend, yes! And I noticed that Athina went home with the CP family. ? (Hi Tarlita!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for all of Australia (it's a big country), but in the part where I live in rural Queensland, funerals in recent times have been more about a celebration of a life, than grief at a loss. There's expression of sadness, of course, but you leave with a feeling of comfort in knowing that person, rather than feeling bereft in their absence.

Here it depends on how the person died. If it was sudden/tragic/child, it tends to be a lot more painful/mourning. If it was at the end of a long life, or long suffering, there is more of a sense of relief, piece, and celebration. Often we see a balance. A more formal funeral at the church, and then a more celebration of life. I know when my friend's son died last summer there was a very somber funeral at the church (what you expect when a 13 year old dies from an allergy attack). But then there was a celebration, a sports day actually as he was a little athlete, and at sundown they lit lanterns and had fireworks.

Josephine and Athina seem like really good friend, yes! And I noticed that Athina went home with the CP family. (Hi Tarlita!)

The girls were cute together. :flowers:

They are only a year apart in age and likely spend a lot of time playing together when the family gets together at holidays. Its always fun to have a cousin close in age when you have family get togethers.

Like mentioned before today at 18.00 PH's casket will be transported in a hearse to Christiansborg Palace Church.

PH did not want a state funeral and he is not getting any. This is IMO the closest thing to an official funeral procession there will be while still adhering to PH's wishes.

The hearse will be followed by cars with the DRF, just like yesterday.

The route, which is relatively short (see map) will pass by the French embassy. That is a nice touch IMO. - The well-liked French ambassador has become a familiar face here in DK in recent years - often for very tragic reasons though.

At Christiansborg. The casket will be carried into the church by ten officers from the Royal Lifeguards Regiment.

While this happens church bells will toll.

Then there will be a ceremony lasting about half an hour for the family and, I understand, a few very close friends.

All this will be shown live.

- Members of PH's family will also attend, I presume his sister and two brothers. I wonder if QMII will have them in her car. That would be a typical touch of hers.

Kongefamilien følger Prinsen på den sidste tur fredag - TV 2

This will take place after dark so no Dannebrog will fly, not even on half mast, unless the flag is illuminated.
But people may show up with colours, which in many, hopefully all, cases will be lowered 90 degrees.

:previous: Is there a particular reason that this event takes place in the evening?

I only ask because it would be difficult for others to see in the dark. Thank you.

Yes, to disrupt the traffic as little as possible.

Like mentioned before today at 18.00 PH's casket will be transported in a hearse to Christiansborg Palace Church.

PH did not want a state funeral and he is not getting any. This is IMO the closest thing to an official funeral procession there will be while still adhering to PH's wishes.

The hearse will be followed by cars with the DRF, just like yesterday.

The route, which is relatively short (see map) will pass by the French embassy. That is a nice touch IMO. - The well-liked French ambassador has become a familiar face here in DK in recent years - often for very tragic reasons though.

At Christiansborg. The casket will be carried into the church by ten officers from the Royal Lifeguards Regiment.

While this happens church bells will toll.

Then there will be a ceremony lasting about half an hour for the family and, I understand, a few very close friends.

All this will be shown live.

- Members of PH's family will also attend, I presume his sister and two brothers. I wonder if QMII will have them in her car. That would be a typical touch of hers.

Kongefamilien følger Prinsen på den sidste tur fredag - TV 2

This will take place after dark so no Dannebrog will fly, not even on half mast, unless the flag is illuminated.
But people may show up with colours, which in many, hopefully all, cases will be lowered 90 degrees.

I'm glad that Henrik's wishes for a small, private ceremony are being respected. I suspect there are more than a few royals who would prefer less pomp and more personal touches in the various ceremonies of their lives - weddings, christenings, funerals, etc. And given Henrik's well known frustrations with Danish royal life, (however valid or not the rest of us considered them), it's good that, in this at least, things will be as he wanted.

When the hearse reach Christiansborg. There will an honor guard from Jutland Dragoon regiment and the Copenhagen Boys Choir will sing.

- There will presumably be a ceremony of some sort in regards to spreading PH's ashes over the sea. Presumably by a navy ship, where the DRF can be present.
Probably not Dannebrog, she is in dock undergoing refitting at this time of year.
I imagine the burial of PH's urn at Fredensborg will be very private.
They can wait til summer with the spreading of ashes over the seas of Denmark. So it can be done from Dannebrog :flowers:

The Church Ministry has decreed that all state churches in Denmark are to toll their bells at 11.00 Tuesday and for half an hour after the funeral ceremony.
At the same time the ministry has requested the bishops to encourage the priests in the various parishes to mention PH at a regular service or at a special service in connection with PH's funeral.
Alle kirkeklokker ringer i forbindelse med prins Henriks bisættelse - TV 2

- Here we need the assistance of FasterB to explain what all this means. You are our expert in church-matters. ?

(..)
This means that the church takes part in the sorrow over the death of Prince Henrik and mourn him. As with all funerals the church bells toll when the casket is taken from the church to the grave. It´s a sign of respect for the diseased.

To mention PH at a service - well, all priests (should) mention the Queen and the DRF in the Sunday prayer. Again it´s a sign of respect towards QMII and the Danes.

:flowers: It's a perfect tribute

So handsome. aka James Bond

Can you imagine: the Ambassadeur de France, M François Zimeray, assembles in the Palais Thott (the fabulous residence where that banner was hanged) and meets his staff: "Mesdames, messieurs, the Prince has died. What can we do to honour him?"

And then someone puts up the idea to create that banner. "D'accord!" says the Ambassadeur. Then someone has to find a picture, another one has to find a befitting line which characterizes the Prince. Then a company has to be found which can print the banner. And of course the firm Ringsted Liftudlejning Aps has to be contacted to hang it safely at the façade of the Palais Thott: "Send the bill to the Ambassade de France, s'il vous plaît."

It is really touching. The Ambassade coud have done it with a meaningless twat on Twitter.

:flowers:

Can you imagine: the Ambassadeur de France, M François Zimeray, assembles in the Palais Thott (the fabulous residence where that banner was hanged) and meets his staff: "Mesdames, messieurs, the Prince has died. What can we do to honour him?"

And then someone puts up the idea to create that banner. "D'accord!" says the Ambassadeur. Then someone has to find a picture, another one has to find a befitting line which characterizes the Prince. Then a company has to be found which can print the banner. And of course the firm Ringsted Liftudlejning Aps has to be contacted to hang it safely at the façade of the Palais Thott: "Send the bill to the Ambassade de France, s'il vous plaît."

It is really touching. The Ambassade coud have done it with a meaningless twat on Twitter.

:flowers:

It's more than likely that the idea came from Paris, probably from the Elysée itself.
The Archives nationales were eager to share some letters between the Prince and the Général de Gaulle as well :

Lettre du prince Henrik de Danemark au Général de Gaulle - Noblesse & Royautés

Henrik's motherland didn't forget him. Touching tribute.

touching indeed that france remembered henrik. sweet detail on the banner. in fact, it hang at palais thott, where henrik celebrated his 80th birthday at a ceremony that they organised, where margrethe and marie attended. :)

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/mlunnamed78.jpg

very fitting!

I'm glad that Henrik's wishes for a small, private ceremony are being respected. I suspect there are more than a few royals who would prefer less pomp and more personal touches in the various ceremonies of their lives - weddings, christenings, funerals, etc. And given Henrik's well known frustrations with Danish royal life, (however valid or not the rest of us considered them), it's good that, in this at least, things will be as he wanted.

perhaps his wishes on the small ceremony came precisely from the frustrations he experienced during royal life. had he not had these frustrations, maybe we would have seen today a very different set of ceremonies for his funeral.

Information in English from the Royal House about what will happen tonight.

And the route the procession will take

Attachments

• IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
The flag above the Tower of London will also be at half mast today in honor of PH.

The TV coverage has started on both public service channels.
You should be able to watch it all at this link: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

Billed Bladet will also show live, but they will have fewer cameras, but at least also fewer journalists talking like they were possessed!
You should find the BB link here somewhere on this page:
BILLED-BLADET Play - Danmarks royale TV - Videoer med de kongelige

Here is a photo of PH's casket at Amalienborg, where it has been guarded by four conscripts from the Royal Lifeguard and from the crew of Dannebrog. As well as an NCO: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfQQVZjnAeK/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_ufi_test

Most unusual the flags above Amalienborg will remain at half mast until 18.00 - i.e. after sunset. Which is usually a big no no! Unless Dannebrog is illuminated.

At Christiansborg Palace Church. PH's casket will ten be guarded by officers of various rank, 24/7 until it is time for the funeral.

The reasons why there will be an honor company from Jutland Dragoons at the Church is that Prinsens Livregiment, which is now amalgamated into Jutland Dragoons was directly affiliated to PH.
(Dronningens Livregiment, which is also amalgamated, was affiliated to the queen consorts, and as such to Queen Ingrid.)

Last edited:
has the RF had to cancel any official events as a result of henrik's death and the funeral? i notice that their calendar is empty during the days before and until the 20th. i know frederik cancelled his attendance to the winter olympics but was wondering if other events had to be cancelled too, or whether the agenda was conveniently free at this period. i am just curious about the protocol when these events happen. i assume it is the done thing to cancel any engagements until the funeral, but i may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom