Prince Henrik: "I Should Be King" Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the problem is that with Queen consorts the 'consort' is never mentioned. People who don't care about royalty only read eg 'Queen Silvia' and might think that she kind of shares CG's position. The Daily Mail usually mentiones Queen Letizia or Queen Maxima and refers to them as 'monarch' what is wrong.
I personally think that only the monarch should be referred as King or Queen and the consort as Prince or Princess, rather the opposite of what Henrik is rooting for.

I always thought that with age, he has softened his opinion or can control himself better, unfortunately the opposite seems to be true.

I suppose even that is up for debate. Thee family started using the title count but were never officially ennobled.

The nobility on itself is not up for debate. The use of the title of Comte indeed is.

"Noble Jean de Laborde, baptisé à Nay le 12-5-1620, docteur en médecine, fils de Jean de Laborde, Jurât de Nay
en 1624, allié à demoiselle Jeannette de Bruchelles de Nay, bénéficiaire en mai 1655 de lettres d’anoblissement pour les maisons et métairies appelées de Monpezat et de Beaufranc, les deux sises à Moncaup, et de Paillas ou Saint Vincent, sise à Monpezat, sous le nom et titre de Beaufranc, le tout formant un ensemble de 150 journaux; allié (contrat du 16-8-1648) à demoiselle d’Abadie de Montaut"​

"Noble Jean de Laborde, baptized in Nay on 12-5-1620, medical doctor, son of Jean de Laborde, Jurât (= Alderman) of Nay in 1624, married to the demoiselle Jeanne de Bruchelles de Nay, recipient in May 1655 of Letters Patent of Nobility for homes and domains known under the names Monpezat and Beaufranc, the two allowances situated near Moncaup and near Paillas or Saint Vincent, based in Monpezat, under the name and title of Beaufranc, forming a set of 150 journaux (= old land measures) married (contract 16-8-1648) with the demoiselle Jeanne d'Abadie de Montaut"​

Last edited:
Prince Henrik is not the Count of Montpezat's son.
His Mother Renée Doursenot divorced in 1940 and married " le dit " Comte de Montpezat ". (Henri is born in 1934....)

When he married a lot was spoken about that because a lot of french people knew the situation.
The family was absolutely unknown !

But after the wedding,,his brother Etienne de Montezat was seen in all the extroardinary parties hosted by Count de Redé, Marie-Hélène de Rotschild, Viscountess de Ribes, Commandant Weiler etc.....

I forgot also the Diplomatic Tittle , Henri de Montpezat had when he married. Not that high...

Last edited by a moderator:
Henrik is the husband of Queen Margrethe II and its role is to help the queen in his role as monarch. And that would be equal to Henrik were king-consort.
Prince Henrik should not talk about these issues in their interviews because it is evil. Or at least should avoid saying these things, at least, to meet the Queen.
Henrik has an important role in Denmark and should accept things as they are. Nothing will change.

A very ungrateful man. Why marry her in the first place? He knew the rules. But well, of course it's better to be a privileged Prince than an irrelevant little French Count :whistling:

Prince Henrik is not the Count of Montpezat's son.
His Mother Renée Doursenot divorced in 1940 and married " le dit " Comte de Montpezat ". (Henri is born in 1934....)

When he married a lot was spoken about that because a lot of french people knew the situation.
The family was absolutely unknown !

But after the wedding,,his brother Etienne de Montezat was seen in all the extroardinary parties hosted by Count de Redé, Marie-Hélène de Rotschild, Viscountess de Ribes, Commandant Weiler etc.....

André de Laborde de Monpezat is the father of Henri. Renée Yvonne Doursenot is the mother of Henri. That they were not married when Renée got pregnant does not mean Henri is not a De Laborde de Monpezat... come on.

When Louis XIV de France issued lettres d'anoblissement « pour les maisons et métairies appelées de Monpezat et de Beaufranc, les deux sises à Moncaup, et de Paillas ou Saint-Vincent, sise à Monpezat, sous le nom et titre de Beaufranc, le tout formant un ensemble de 150 journaux » already in 1665, it is nonsense to say "they were totally unknown"...

:flowers:

[...] Why marry her in the first place? [...]

Euh... because a handsome Danish Princess felt in love with a handsome French nobleman with the looks of James Bond? Picture: http://foto.jp.dk/thumbsnc/1440x960/fto/orig/orig_50835.jpg

What a graceless outburst by the Prince Consort...

IF he'd been born the son of the King of Denmark then he would be entitled to complain, however he wasn't !

He KNEW the score when he married his wife.. The Danish are hardly likely to want a Frenchman [by birth] to outrank a native Queen..

Dragging up the acts of ancient Scottish Queens Regnant will not further his case, or opinions of his intelligence...

I like the man, but he needs to 'know his place', and if he really cannot, at least he needs to confine his petulant outbursts to the privacy of his family circle, where [judging by the Queens wry smile] he is roundly laughed at...

Last edited:
Prince Henrik gave up well with the kings Frederik IX and Ingrid?

Look at this picture, it says everything about the attachment and acceptance of King Frederik to his son-in-law.

Note that Prince Henrik stated his words in that interview while laughing a bit, with a little of twink in his eyes and a sort of irony. This is missed when discussing it on a web-forum. Note also that Prince Henrik does not at all want to "outrank" his wife. She is and remains Denmark's head-of-state. He only noted an -in his eyes- anomaly when the situation is compared with female spouses to Kings. The soup is not served that hot as it was made.... (a Dutch saying).

What a graceless outburst by the Prince Consort...

IF he'd been born the son of the King of Denmark then he would be entitled to complain, however he wasn't !

He KNEW the score when he married his wife.. The Danish are hardly likely to want a Frenchman [by birth] to outrank a native Queen..

Dragging up the acts of ancient Scottish Queens Regnant will not further his case, or opinions of his intelligence...

I like the man, but he needs to 'know his place', and if he really cannot, at least he needs to confine his petulant outbursts to the privacy of his family circle, where [judging by the Queens wry smile] he is roundly laughed at...

Well the Queen was not laughing at her husband, she felt trapped in front of a group of Dutch journalists and was hoping or praying the Prinsgemalen would stop riding his pet topic. When the Prince continued the Queen finally tapped him on the shoulder, Henrik looked her in the eyes "Oh.. I was going on again?" and both laughed about the situation.

These are the moments when you really appreciate Philip in England because, for all of his tactless comments, he has really supported Elizabeth II with a great deal of respect for her position.

Duc et Pair,
I see you did not read the press at the moment of their wedding !

Since 2002 when he escaped in France that prince Henry is saying that the husband of a queen should be named the king. In a documentary in the belgium 'place Royale' he said the same think, he said it was not well for the husband of a queen to be the consort prince' but the king . He did not joked , he was serious. He is a proud man who knew that he would be a prince consort before his wedding but he accepted it. It is not fair for her wife and her children.

Duc et Pair,
I see you did not read the press at the moment of their wedding !

No I was not even born back then...

:lol:

In my understanding Rénee-Yvonne Doursenot had previously been civilly married to Louis Leuret before her marriage to Andre de Laborde de Monpezat. Her first marriage allowed Renée-Yvonne to marry André religiously in 1934, but the couple did not marry civilly until 1948.

Henri's eldest sister Françoise was born two years before her parents' marriage. But Henri himself and his younger siblings Anne-Marie, Joseph, Thérèse, Étienne, Jean-Baptiste, Cathérine and Maurille were all born inside the marriage of André and Renée-Yvonne.

Picture: André de Laborde de Monpezat with Henri's younger brothers Étienne and Jean-Baptiste. Especially Étienne was the spitting image of the dashing fiancée of Princess Margrethe...

Picture: here Jean-Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat (head of the table, with brown colbert) is the spitting image of his eldest brother

Picture: Henri de Laborde de Monpezat and his brother Étienne

Picture: Étienne de Laborde de Monpezat

By his tone, he seem to be very frustrated by the situation.

To me the issue is less that Henrik has such thoughts but that he would think it okay to talk about it during an interview with the media about a state visit from another country. The Queen looked mortified to me and I'm not surprised, how graceless and mean of her husband, he must have known that it would be all that was talked about after the interview, never mind the state visit and even never mind the Queen's comments about the recent Copenhagen shooting.

To me the issue is less that Henrik has such thoughts but that he would think it okay to talk about it during an interview with the media about a state visit from another country. The Queen looked mortified to me and I'm not surprised, how graceless and mean of her husband, he must have known that it would be all that was talked about after the interview, never mind the state visit and even never mind the Queen's comments about the recent Copenhagen shooting.
Exactly! I who haven't followed this didn't even know she had made a comment about that until now.

Well to be honest, Dutch TV showed the heartfelt and exceptionally well-formulated words of the Queen about the tragic events. The Prinsgemalen's words were just a funny fait-divers, a detail in the interview. The interview was really not only that bit which is so discussed here. :)

:previous: That's really nice to hear. I'm glad they've chosen to put their main focus on the important part of the interview. Henrik's daft comments have sadly over-shadowed QMII's words about the shooting in the Danish press by far.

The interview was shown in two parts. The first at 9.40 and the second at 25.00.

Both parts in English with Dutch subtitles. Lots of attention for the sparkling Danish jewels too from 29.00 on. When you click on the T (at least in Internet Explorer), you can see (Dutch) subtitles too. Some Danes do understand a bit of that.

Blauw Bloed, 21 februari 2015 - Een bijzonder interview in Denemarken

Last edited:
I feel mortified for the Queen watching that video. Henrik needs to educate himself. Not all queens in history have made their husbands king consorts as he claims.

They've been married a long time; she's probably used to his schtick and pays it little mind! With some exceptions, it's hard to teach an old (royal) dog new tricks. At least his comments don't make anyone but himself look foolish.

I actually began to like him a little bit, but when he turned 80, I saw the interviews with him. And he was equally childish and controlling as before. He was a bad father and after what I have seen in documentaries, a bad grandfather too. I've seen and read so many documentaries / books about this family and nothing surprises me with this man.

It was embarrassing, stupid and total lack of situational sense. Indeed. As I also has stated in my posts. But reading this thread I also think we should be careful not to make Henrik into a completely big awful man. I mean a bad grandfather? I don't think Christian and Isabella agree with you on that ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1435421381_71ebfb97ce45b11fa219396ea20136d7
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=60b44c772a278f85704902a0ad316120&oe=55485C5F
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet2.jpg
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet4.jpg
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet6.jpg

Last edited:
It was embarrassing, stupid and total lack of situational sense. Indeed. As I also has stated in my posts. But reading this thread I also think we should be careful not to make Henrik into a completely big awful man. I mean a bad grandfather? I don't think Christian and Isabella agree with you on that ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1435421381_71ebfb97ce45b11fa219396ea20136d7
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=60b44c772a278f85704902a0ad316120&oe=55485C5F
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet2.jpg
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet4.jpg
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...lige/2010/prins-henrik-omfavnes/omfavnet6.jpg

I've seen some of these and other images like this before. And I know that the grandchildren is fond of him, but I've seen him with them in documentaries and I found him very controling.

I have only read a page or two of the thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

It seems to me that Henrik has always had an issue with his status and "place" in the Danish royal family. If I remember correctly, we went through something similar in the 1980's when P Frederick came of age.

There were tales of Henri's depression and his resentment that his son would now outshine the father as the heir. That Frederick would get the good assignments, etc.

To me, it all speaks of a very insecure man. And at this point, I wonder if his age might have something to do with it as well. My own father is a few years older than he and Dad is getting very easy to set off.

Prince Henrik is 80 I believe. That is elderly and the elderly have their own set of insecurities, not the least is "am I still needed", "does my opinion count for anything" "the younger generation are replacing me".

Forgive my rambling, I think what I am saying is, lets cut the old boy some slack. With our sets of increasingly elderly royals, we are likely to see and hear a few good outbursts before they retire from sight entirely.

It is all a bit overdone. Like I showed in post #80 in this thread, you can see the video and the remarks were just a detail in the interview and it was all not that heavy-handed.

By the way, in the Netherlands also Professor Pieter van Vollenhoven (the husband of Princess Margriet) issued such frustration when all his daughters-in-law could be addressed as "Princess" (by courtesy) but he not. He did not make a point of it but it escaped him too.

When Mr O'Neill gets a son, he will face the same situation. A daughter-in-law married to his son can be addressed as "Princess" (by courtesy) while he is just a Mr O'Neill. There are indeed some anomalies in the titulature.

The children of Professor Van Vollenhoven should just be Mr/Ms Van Vollenhoven, the children of Mr O'Neill should just be Mr/Ms O'Neill. It was just the "desire" of Queen Juliana and now King Carl XVI Gustaf not to make a difference in A-grandchildren and B-grandchildren. In the UK the Queen was clear: the children of Captain Phillips are all Mr/Ms Phillips. Period.

Last edited:
:previous:

Two of the scenarios you mention aren't the same as the van Vollenhovens, or as Prince Henrik, as the men who married in - Chris and Mark Phillips - both declined titles upon marriage.

Had Chris accepted a title, he would have been the Duke of of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (as Jonas would have been had he and Madeleine actually married).

Mark Phillips was offered a title, but he and Anne turned it down and therefore his children didn't receive any titles either. In that case, it wasn't a case of the Queen being clear, it was a case of there was no conventional way for the Phillips children to have a title.

I'm not really sure what the point of comparing men who married younger children (daughters) of monarchs, not the actually heir, is in relation to this discussion. Titles given to the husbands and children through the female-line - provided the daughter is not the heir apparent - is not something typically done.

Last edited:
Methinks Henrik is getting old, and not in a good way.

Blauw Bloed showed an long interview concerning the coming Visit of the King and Queen of the Netherlands. The Queen spoke a long time , much longer as shown on other TV, She said She was His Godmother etc...

The Consort spoke shortly to say non senses. Consort since 47 years I should know that what he said should stole the show... Ridiculous behaviour !

I've seen some of these and other images like this before. And I know that the grandchildren is fond of him, but I've seen him with them in documentaries and I found him very controling.

He can be, but I don't thank that's a bad thing. With normal as well as royal children. You can easily be fairly strict and very loving at the same time.

I have only read a page or two of the thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.

It seems to me that Henrik has always had an issue with his status and "place" in the Danish royal family. If I remember correctly, we went through something similar in the 1980's when P Frederick came of age.

There were tales of Henri's depression and his resentment that his son would now outshine the father as the heir. That Frederick would get the good assignments, etc.

That was some ten years or so ago (time flies). The trigger was the New Year Court for the diplomatic corps, where QMII was unable to attend due to a fall. So Frederik and PH went alone.
That's official business, so it was Frederik who, as Crown Prince and direct substitute for the Monarch, gave a speech to the diplomats and it was also Frederik the doyen among the diplomats directed his speech to. But when they lined up to receive the personal new year wishes from the diplomats it was PH who was senior, because now they wished the family a Happy New Year.
In short PH was miffed because he felt he should have given the speech, and that it was him, the doyen should have addressed.

It was the final straw where PH felt (with some justification) that he had not been acknowledged by the public and the media. That the court administration didn't respect him (PH may think he is the patriarch, but constitutionally and administratively speaking QMII is in charge) and now his oldest son was usurping him - in public! So he felt humiliated and ran off to France.
And I have rarely seen a more toe-curling scene as the press meeting a few days later in France, where PH with QMII by his side assured that there were no problems and with Frederik and Joachim behind them. You didn't need a degree in body language to see F&J were embarrassed in that situation. - And a little while later PH was "promoted" to Prince Consort.

Back
Top Bottom