Prince Henrik: "I Should Be King" Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Henrik's complaining has hit the Danish media! Even as the main story of the more serious TV2.dk and there was a 2 minutes long clip from the press conference in the TV news this noon. After the clip ended the two tv-hosts looked a each other, smiled and said with a laugh "I guess there have been a family meeting after that press conference..."

It was the first time I saw the clip... And Queen Margrethe certainly don't think it was particularly enjoyable. First she looks down.. then she takes a glass of water.. before finally pats Henrik on his shoulder to signal it's enough now.

The Danes reactions have been as usual. Oh, get over it!

But to repeat Muhler's words. Royals are humans and humans have faults.

You can see the clip here at tv2.dk:
Ekspert: Dronningen sættes i penibel situation | GO'

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Prince Henrik's comments come across as rather childish. It's like when little children say they want to go first because they're the oldest child there. I agree, he should just forget about it and move on. He should also know better by now as given the fact that he's been a member of the Danish Royal House for quite a long while now, surely he's well aware of the fact that, as Roskilde has pointed out, he couldn't be King in the first place (as he married into the DRF) since Kings rank higher than Queens?

As a dude myself I find this embarrassing and a credit to the negative stereotypes about us.....Ofc he is lower than his wife she is Royal by blood he is Royal by marriage she is the reason my he is a prince ....
All I have to say to Henrik is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

:ROFLMAO: I agree with Elsa! ;)

Last edited:
Was Queen Margarethe the first's husband King of Denmark.

No, he was king of Norway. When he died QMI's son was next in line for the three Nordic thrones (these things happen I guess). But as he was a minor, QMI became Regent in her son's name.
Alas, her son died before he could become king. So she ended up adopting a new son, who was politically palatable for all three countries.

But strictly speaking QMI was never a monarch in her own right, but de facto there was rarely any doubt as to who was in charge! Hence she has been labelled Queen Margrethe I.

(I've written more about this very formidable queen in her own thread).

Oh my oh my how amusing to watch the complete car crash Henrik made the press conference! I don't understand his point at all, every male consort in Europe in recent times has been a Prince, Henrik moaned so much last time with his running away drama he was made Prince Consort so why doesn't he just leave it alone?! I feel so so sorry for Margarethe, she must have wanted to take a crown and smack him in the face with it! It also shows Henrik's lack of understanding to use the examples of Scottish Queen's (factually correct but not the best example to compare oneself to) and Maxima (Who is technically not Queen for the exact reason Henrik is moaning - making it fairer!!)

Is he going on about that again?!?

One should think that he in these days would have something better to worry about.
PH is not going to be king, won't happen, forget it! That has been made clear by both the politicians as well as the public opinion.
Gender egality does not apply here.

There are times when I want to whack PH in the back of the head with a shovel and this in one of those times! :bang:

Queen Margrethe did it for you...that hand on his back had claws of steel, I am certain:lol:

The Law of Succession and the Monarch.

The firstborn child of the monarch (or heir), is by law the crown prince/ss - when he/she turns eighteen and sign a pledge to obey the Constitution and is a member of the State Church. Not even the monarch can change that.
Everybody else's title is up to the monarch.

But as king traditionally outranks a queen and the Parliament okays any new title (even if it's usually a formality) at least in DK PH is and will remain a Prince Consort.

Personally I can't understand why it's so bloody important to him. Currently he holds the second highest position in the kingdom, no matter the title, one should think that was enough.
I hope for the sake of family-peace in the DRF that PH will die before QMII, so he won't get another fit when his son and daugher-in-law outranks him.

I mean, come on there are to put it mildly more important things on the agenda!

Muhler, your Prince Consort is of French origin; wars have been fought in France about 'le placement', who is more important! It is a French thing and he will never get over it.:flowers:

Dutch State Visit to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

Hahahaha this gave me the laugh of the day ? Prince Henrik will never get over it. He has not accepted this from day 1 and he will one day leave the earth bitter about this matter. He will probably be heard yelling from his grave that his casket is less decorated than the one for his wife. Yes a King would outrank a Queen regent and technically become the new regent but Henrik knows that and it is excactly what he wants.

As some of you have aldready said it is very stupid to bring up this matter with dutch journalists. Journalists from a country that has just had 3 Queen Regents with Princely husbands in a row with success.

I also fear that Henrik will not support Frederik if Margrethe dies before him. I kind of hope that Henrik has already moved in to Roskilde Cathedral the day the next accession takes place.
He will never accept being nr 3 in the house and will probably move to France permanently if that happens.
But maybe that would be a good thing for Frederik so he won't need to excuse his father each and every time he meets a journalist.

Last edited:
:previous: I too think it might be a benefit for Frederik if QMII outlives Henrik. At the very least it would spare him a lot of embarrassments in an already tough time because I have no doubt in the world that Henrik would throw multiple public hissy fits about being outranked by his son.

Queen margrethe has her hands full with Henrik lol .......

He´s been making a fool of himself once more! It´s so ridiculous and embarrassing. Henrik should finally realise that monarchy is mainly about traditions, and there´s no tradition for a consort of a queen regnant since many centuries to become a King.
For how many decades he´s sticking to this subject?!
IMO he´s damging the good reputation of the royal family with his childish behaviour!

I also fear that Henrik will not support Frederik if Margrethe dies before him. I kind of hope that Henrik has already moved in to Roskilde Cathedral the day the next accession takes place.
He will never accept being nr 3 in the house and will probably move to France permanently if that happens.

Well, strictly speaking he wouldn´t be "Nr 3" when his eldest son succeeds, but "Nr. 7" ranging after the King and Queen, their eldest son, then CP cHristian and the other royal children!

If QM should die before Henrik, will he still be titled Prince Consort? Or will he be known by the title of Prince, since there is no longer a consort? As the father of the king, he will still hold a prominent position in Denmark, I would imagine.

If QM should die before Henrik, will he still be titled Prince Consort? Or will he be known by the title of Prince, since there is no longer a consort? As the father of the king, he will still hold a prominent position in Denmark, I would imagine.

Maybe he will be know as The Prince Father (I don't think such a title has ever been used). I also hope he'll have a prominent role, helping the new King and Queen.

I think he will keep his title of Prince Consort. Just like US presidents are still titled President, even after having left the office.
Doesn't matter that much in day to day life, since he is generally addressed and referred to among ordinary people as Prince Henrik.

Actually, should PH live long enough, he can constitutionally speaking come after Athena, since she is in the Line of Succession and can act as Rigsforstander when she turns eighteen.
He will even come after queen Mary, should king Frederik (or QMII for that matter) decide to appoint her Rigsforstander. (I guess one reason why Mary hasn't been appointed Rigsforstander by QMII is that PH would get a major fit on the spot, since he has never been appointed Rigsforstander). Queen Ingrid was on a few occasions but PH could hardly object too much against that, since Queen Ingrid was a Queen, a Majesty and the matriarch of the family.

- Usually the DRF pick the next down the Line of Succession as Rigsforstander, but it's not a must. The only one who by law is automatically in charge if the Monarch is out of the country is the crown prince/ss, everybody else are appointed.

Maybe he will be know as The Prince Father (I don't think such a title has ever been used). I also hope he'll have a prominent role, helping the new King and Queen.

Henrik would demand being styled "His Majesty The King Father" and take precedence over the new King and Queen or move to France permanently.

I don't think his recent behaviour has caused any more damage in the eyes of the danish people. They know how he is, have never really liked him and he has never really liked them.

Seriously i hope Margrethe lives a long life and that it will end by age reason. Then Henrik will probably already have moved in to Roskilde Cathedral the day the next accession takes place and won't cause any problems for King Frederik X and Queen Mary.

Last edited:
I don't think I can hope for someone's death. Also, I never really understood all the cristicism towards the Prince Consort.

He has his flaws and may don't fully understand his role, but he has served his wife and Denmark for
almost half a century now.

If he outlives his wife and stop with doing duties, it'll be in order to have well deserved retirement, not because he had a fit.

I don't think I can hope for someone's death. Also, I never really understood all the cristicism towards the Prince Consort.

He has his flaws and may don't fully understand his role, but he has served his wife and Denmark for

If he outlives his wife and stop with doing duties, it'll be in order to have well deserved retirement, not because he had a fit.

you're giving him too much credit considering his past. He may have served Queen & Country well, but he still acts like a little child when he doesn't get his way.

It's annoying that even after all this time as Consort, he still doesn't get it. He acts as if being ~just~ the Prince Consort makes him less of a man. I do wish someone in the family would tell him to quit whining about it in public.

He just comes across as a childish little brat. It's not endearing.

I also don't wish someone to die. I just mentioned a likely possibility if Margrethe lives a long life as she is 6 years younger than him. And there is no secret that, that would cause less problems for the new King and Queen. Most people would be proud over seeing their child become the new monarch but i fear Henri De Laborde De Montpezat won't miss a chance to yell out his dismay and bitternes over being outranked by the younger generation.

He has serves his wife and his country for a long time but he has never been thankful over his situation and he do act like a little child or a very bitter old man (almost the same reactions haha) when things don't go his way. He has always given the impression of being a very bitter and stubborn person.

Last edited:
:previous: You are absolutely right, both of you. PH has "tunnel-vision" when it comes to his position in the family and in the society.
And I can't imagine he will ever change.

It was certainly a PR-blunder, which is probably why BT today wrote that PH had been shielded from the journalists today at a dog-show event by the DRF press office. - So no asking him questions. :whistling:
Usually he chats with the reporters present. Wonder if "aunt-queen" (as QMII describes herself when she's in a feisty mood) has been talking in very short shrift once the press conference was over? :angry::hiding:

Last edited:
I think Prince Henrik's attitude betrays a rather immature aspect of his personality and a fundamental lack of understanding not just of history but of how rank and precedence works. He kept going on in the interview about being "under" his wife. Does he not get the fact that he can never equal her in terms of rank? She is the reigning monarch, daughter of a king. Henrik has absolutely no basis for claiming equality in rank with her. When QM reached over to tap him on his shoulder to make him stop ranting, I almost could not believe it. I found his behaviour quite undignified. How can he want to be king and yet betray such a lack of self-control?

:previous: You are absolutely right, both of you. PH has "tunnel-vision" when it comes to his position in the family and in the society.
And I can't imagine he will ever change.

It was certainly a PR-blunder, which is probably why BT today wrote that PH had been shielded from the journalists today at a dog-show event by the DRF press office. - So no asking him questions. :whistling:
Usually he chats with the reporters present. Wonder if "aunt-queen" (as QMII describes herself when she's in a feisty mood) has been talking in very short shrift once the press conference was over? :angry::hiding:

I would think 'aunt-queen' would be more angry with the press handlers; how did Prince Henrik get on his high horse anyway? There must have been a question from the Dutch press that got him started; this is where the Danish press officer should have stepped in INSTANTLY to avoid the embarrassing scene that ensued:bang:

I just watched the video mmm I think he might be in dog house with his beloved dogs if the Queens face is anything to go by.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think Prince Henrik's attitude betrays a rather immature aspect of his personality and a fundamental lack of understanding not just of history but of how rank and precedence works. He kept going on in the interview about being "under" his wife. Does he not get the fact that he can never equal her in terms of rank? She is the reigning monarch, daughter of a king. Henrik has absolutely no basis for claiming equality in rank with her. When QM reached over to tap him on his shoulder to make him stop ranting, I almost could not believe it. I found his behaviour quite undignified. How can he want to be king and yet betray such a lack of self-control?
I am just stunned that he doesn't get the "Consort" thing. After all these years he has been a Consort and he still doesn't get that it is the title that defines him whether he be Prince or King, and would thus be "under his wife" regardless.

Should we expect him to decamp to his Chateau in high dudgeon for a couple of months?

I am just stunned that he doesn't get the "Consort" thing. After all these years he has been a Consort and he still doesn't get that it is the title that defines him whether he be Prince or King, and would thus be "under his wife" regardless.

Should we expect him to decamp to his Chateau in high dudgeon for a couple of months?
I agree. Most people would get it even before getting married. He must have been warned that even though most men your generation is boss you won't be if you marry A QUEEN OF A COUNTRY. At least Prince Phillip knew what he was doing, uttering "Am I very brave or very foolish?" before the wedding. He knew he would live a very unconventional life for a man of that generation. Henrik STILL doesn't seem to get it. Sorry for my ignorance, but what was his "rank"/status in France?

Prince Henrik: "I Should Be King" Discussion

I would think 'aunt-queen' would be more angry with the press handlers; how did Prince Henrik get on his high horse anyway? There must have been a question from the Dutch press that got him started; this is where the Danish press officer should have stepped in INSTANTLY to avoid the embarrassing scene that ensued:bang:

He was asked something about being Prince Consort and not King and he was provoked. But seriously, it doesn't take a lot to make him feel provoked, degraded and humiliated.

A normal person would have given a short answer about that it is serving The Queen and Denmark that is important and not the title. The Duke of Edinburgh would probably have answered by joking.

I asked my danish friends if they thought he would flee to his Castle in France now and they said "unlikely but we can always hope" :-D

Last edited:
I actually began to like him a little bit, but when he turned 80, I saw the interviews with him. And he was equally childish and controlling as before. He was a bad father and after what I have seen in documentaries, a bad grandfather too. I've seen and read so many documentaries / books about this family and nothing surprises me with this man.

Video.
Henrik gør det igen: Utilfreds med at være under Margrethe | GO'

Last edited:
[...] Sorry for my ignorance, but what was his "rank"/status in France?

According Wikipedia: "The Labordes were a well-to-do family originating from the region of Béarn in southwestern France which took the name Laborde de Monpezat, following the marriage of Jean Laborde to Catherine d'Arricau, Dame de Monpezat on 16 August 1648. Letters patent of ennoblement were issued by King Louis XIV of France in 1655

[...]

The family's requests to legally change their surname to De Laborde-Monpezat (on 14 July 1860) and then to De Laborde de Monpezat (on 19 May 1861) were granted by Emperor Napoleon III."

Henri de Laborde de Monpezat is simply a proud man, proud on his old French heritage. He seems to have hinted a couple of times to have the name connected to the House of Oldenburg-Glücksborg. On 30 April 2008, the title "Count (Countess) of Monpezat" (greve/komtesse af Monpezat), was conferred by Queen Margrethe II on both of her sons, and made hereditary for their descendants in the male-line for both males and females. So proud papa and grandpapa knows that his sons and grandchildren are all bearing his surname... In the arms of Prince Joachim, the De Laborde de Monpezat arms have been added as well (the red heartshield with the golden lion and the golden stars).

:flowers:

Let us just assume that Prince Henrik has a strong and conservative view on being a Pater Familias and is proud on his sons, his heritage and wants to see that acknowledged. Nothing wrong with that. The ranting against the "demotion" as Prince Consort is a bit overdone because he should not compare himself to Queens. He should compare himself to Albert von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, to Heinrich von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, to Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld, to Philip of Denmark and Greece, to Claus von Amsberg, all spouses who did not share their royal wives' rank.

He could also have compared himself with Mr Pieter van Vollenhoven, with Mr Erling Sven Lorentzen, with Mr Johan Martin Ferner, with Mr Christopher O'Neill, with Captain Mark Phillips, etc. all married to a titled wife but none of them have acquired any title or are addressed by their wife's titles. So Henri is really poorly informed on these matters and can better keep his mouth shut.

Last edited:

They probably couldn't imagine he would come up with a rant like that. And could and should they step in? It wasn't the journalist who was out of line. And to censor the Prince Consort in front of the cameras?:ermm: He would probably explode and head straight for the airport! :mad:
One of the reasons for his last fit, was that he felt the courtiers didn't show him enough respect.

Well, look on bright side. It may be somewhat embarrassing but at least it's entertaining... - from the outside. :p And no one can accuse PH for not being both colorful and human.

The Danish press has been fairly mild towards him this time. His latest rant has been shown on TV and reported in the papers but there is no public outcry like the last time he wanted to be king and hardly any politicians have bothered to comment. The general feeling here in DK seems to be a collective shaking of the head and a "grandpa is going on about you-know-what again". :nonono:

---------------------

:previous:
Yes he stems from minor nobility and it is not unknown that minor nobles can be very... aware... of their position...

Last edited:
I can assure that the Dutch media given access to Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik at Fredensborg were very polite, servile and well-willing. They were wearing ties and all respectfully started with "Your Majesty" or "Your Royal Highness". There was no intention to tackle the Danish royal couple.

:previous:
Yes he stems from minor nobility and it is not unknown that minor nobles can be very... aware... of their position...

I suppose even that is up for debate. Thee family started using the title count but were never officially ennobled.

Back
Top Bottom