The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think the problem is that with Queen consorts the 'consort' is never mentioned. People who don't care about royalty only read eg 'Queen Silvia' and might think that she kind of shares CG's position. The Daily Mail usually mentiones Queen Letizia or Queen Maxima and refers to them as 'monarch' what is wrong.
I personally think that only the monarch should be referred as King or Queen and the consort as Prince or Princess, rather the opposite of what Henrik is rooting for.

I always thought that with age, he has softened his opinion or can control himself better, unfortunately the opposite seems to be true.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I suppose even that is up for debate. Thee family started using the title count but were never officially ennobled.
The nobility on itself is not up for debate. The use of the title of Comte indeed is.

"Noble Jean de Laborde, baptisé à Nay le 12-5-1620, docteur en médecine, fils de Jean de Laborde, Jurât de Nay
en 1624, allié à demoiselle Jeannette de Bruchelles de Nay, bénéficiaire en mai 1655 de lettres d’anoblissement pour les maisons et métairies appelées de Monpezat et de Beaufranc, les deux sises à Moncaup, et de Paillas ou Saint Vincent, sise à Monpezat, sous le nom et titre de Beaufranc, le tout formant un ensemble de 150 journaux; allié (contrat du 16-8-1648) à demoiselle d’Abadie de Montaut"

"Noble Jean de Laborde, baptized in Nay on 12-5-1620, medical doctor, son of Jean de Laborde, Jurât (= Alderman) of Nay in 1624, married to the demoiselle Jeanne de Bruchelles de Nay, recipient in May 1655 of Letters Patent of Nobility for homes and domains known under the names Monpezat and Beaufranc, the two allowances situated near Moncaup and near Paillas or Saint Vincent, based in Monpezat, under the name and title of Beaufranc, forming a set of 150 journaux (= old land measures) married (contract 16-8-1648) with the demoiselle Jeanne d'Abadie de Montaut"

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Henrik is not the Count of Montpezat's son.
His Mother Renée Doursenot divorced in 1940 and married " le dit " Comte de Montpezat ". (Henri is born in 1934....)

When he married a lot was spoken about that because a lot of french people knew the situation.
The family was absolutely unknown !

But after the wedding,,his brother Etienne de Montezat was seen in all the extroardinary parties hosted by Count de Redé, Marie-Hélène de Rotschild, Viscountess de Ribes, Commandant Weiler etc.....

I forgot also the Diplomatic Tittle , Henri de Montpezat had when he married. Not that high...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

Henrik is the husband of Queen Margrethe II and its role is to help the queen in his role as monarch. And that would be equal to Henrik were king-consort.
Prince Henrik should not talk about these issues in their interviews because it is evil. Or at least should avoid saying these things, at least, to meet the Queen.
Henrik has an important role in Denmark and should accept things as they are. Nothing will change.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

A very ungrateful man. Why marry her in the first place? He knew the rules. But well, of course it's better to be a privileged Prince than an irrelevant little French Count

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 02-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Prince Henrik is not the Count of Montpezat's son.
His Mother Renée Doursenot divorced in 1940 and married " le dit " Comte de Montpezat ". (Henri is born in 1934....)

When he married a lot was spoken about that because a lot of french people knew the situation.
The family was absolutely unknown !

But after the wedding,,his brother Etienne de Montezat was seen in all the extroardinary parties hosted by Count de Redé, Marie-Hélène de Rotschild, Viscountess de Ribes, Commandant Weiler etc.....
André de Laborde de Monpezat is the father of Henri. Renée Yvonne Doursenot is the mother of Henri. That they were not married when Renée got pregnant does not mean Henri is not a De Laborde de Monpezat... come on.

When Louis XIV de France issued lettres d'anoblissement « pour les maisons et métairies appelées de Monpezat et de Beaufranc, les deux sises à Moncaup, et de Paillas ou Saint-Vincent, sise à Monpezat, sous le nom et titre de Beaufranc, le tout formant un ensemble de 150 journaux » already in 1665, it is nonsense to say "they were totally unknown"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
[...] Why marry her in the first place? [...]
Euh... because a handsome Danish Princess felt in love with a handsome French nobleman with the looks of James Bond? Picture: http://foto.jp.dk/thumbsnc/1440x960/...orig_50835.jpg

Old 02-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

What a graceless outburst by the Prince Consort...

IF he'd been born the son of the King of Denmark then he would be entitled to complain, however he wasn't !

He KNEW the score when he married his wife.. The Danish are hardly likely to want a Frenchman [by birth] to outrank a native Queen..

Dragging up the acts of ancient Scottish Queens Regnant will not further his case, or opinions of his intelligence...

I like the man, but he needs to 'know his place', and if he really cannot, at least he needs to confine his petulant outbursts to the privacy of his family circle, where [judging by the Queens wry smile] he is roundly laughed at...
Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Henrik gave up well with the kings Frederik IX and Ingrid?
Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Look at this picture, it says everything about the attachment and acceptance of King Frederik to his son-in-law.

Note that Prince Henrik stated his words in that interview while laughing a bit, with a little of twink in his eyes and a sort of irony. This is missed when discussing it on a web-forum. Note also that Prince Henrik does not at all want to "outrank" his wife. She is and remains Denmark's head-of-state. He only noted an -in his eyes- anomaly when the situation is compared with female spouses to Kings. The soup is not served that hot as it was made.... (a Dutch saying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
What a graceless outburst by the Prince Consort...

IF he'd been born the son of the King of Denmark then he would be entitled to complain, however he wasn't !

He KNEW the score when he married his wife.. The Danish are hardly likely to want a Frenchman [by birth] to outrank a native Queen..

Dragging up the acts of ancient Scottish Queens Regnant will not further his case, or opinions of his intelligence...

I like the man, but he needs to 'know his place', and if he really cannot, at least he needs to confine his petulant outbursts to the privacy of his family circle, where [judging by the Queens wry smile] he is roundly laughed at...
Well the Queen was not laughing at her husband, she felt trapped in front of a group of Dutch journalists and was hoping or praying the Prinsgemalen would stop riding his pet topic. When the Prince continued the Queen finally tapped him on the shoulder, Henrik looked her in the eyes "Oh.. I was going on again?" and both laughed about the situation.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Serene Highness

These are the moments when you really appreciate Philip in England because, for all of his tactless comments, he has really supported Elizabeth II with a great deal of respect for her position.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Duc et Pair,
I see you did not read the press at the moment of their wedding !
Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since 2002 when he escaped in France that prince Henry is saying that the husband of a queen should be named the king. In a documentary in the belgium 'place Royale' he said the same think, he said it was not well for the husband of a queen to be the consort prince' but the king . He did not joked , he was serious. He is a proud man who knew that he would be a prince consort before his wedding but he accepted it. It is not fair for her wife and her children.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Euh... because a handsome Danish Princess felt in love with a handsome French nobleman with the looks of James Bond? Picture: http://foto.jp.dk/thumbsnc/1440x960/...orig_50835.jpg

Yeah, but now he looks like 'Goldfinger'

She really was cute as a button.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 02-22-2015, 01:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Duc et Pair,
I see you did not read the press at the moment of their wedding !
No I was not even born back then...

In my understanding Rénee-Yvonne Doursenot had previously been civilly married to Louis Leuret before her marriage to Andre de Laborde de Monpezat. Her first marriage allowed Renée-Yvonne to marry André religiously in 1934, but the couple did not marry civilly until 1948.

Henri's eldest sister Françoise was born two years before her parents' marriage. But Henri himself and his younger siblings Anne-Marie, Joseph, Thérèse, Étienne, Jean-Baptiste, Cathérine and Maurille were all born inside the marriage of André and Renée-Yvonne.

Picture: André de Laborde de Monpezat with Henri's younger brothers Étienne and Jean-Baptiste. Especially Étienne was the spitting image of the dashing fiancée of Princess Margrethe...

Picture: here Jean-Baptiste de Laborde de Monpezat (head of the table, with brown colbert) is the spitting image of his eldest brother

Picture: Henri de Laborde de Monpezat and his brother Étienne

Picture: Étienne de Laborde de Monpezat

Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

By his tone, he seem to be very frustrated by the situation.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

To me the issue is less that Henrik has such thoughts but that he would think it okay to talk about it during an interview with the media about a state visit from another country. The Queen looked mortified to me and I'm not surprised, how graceless and mean of her husband, he must have known that it would be all that was talked about after the interview, never mind the state visit and even never mind the Queen's comments about the recent Copenhagen shooting.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
To me the issue is less that Henrik has such thoughts but that he would think it okay to talk about it during an interview with the media about a state visit from another country. The Queen looked mortified to me and I'm not surprised, how graceless and mean of her husband, he must have known that it would be all that was talked about after the interview, never mind the state visit and even never mind the Queen's comments about the recent Copenhagen shooting.
Exactly! I who haven't followed this didn't even know she had made a comment about that until now.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Well to be honest, Dutch TV showed the heartfelt and exceptionally well-formulated words of the Queen about the tragic events. The Prinsgemalen's words were just a funny fait-divers, a detail in the interview. The interview was really not only that bit which is so discussed here. :)
Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's really nice to hear. I'm glad they've chosen to put their main focus on the important part of the interview. Henrik's daft comments have sadly over-shadowed QMII's words about the shooting in the Danish press by far.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Majesty

The interview was shown in two parts. The first at 9.40 and the second at 25.00.

Both parts in English with Dutch subtitles. Lots of attention for the sparkling Danish jewels too from 29.00 on. When you click on the T (at least in Internet Explorer), you can see (Dutch) subtitles too. Some Danes do understand a bit of that.

Blauw Bloed, 21 februari 2015 - Een bijzonder interview in Denemarken

Tags
danish royals, i should be king, prince henrik, prince henrik king discussion