The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
It's incredible on so many levels that he doesn't seem to be able to shut up about this ridiculous subject. Not only is he putting the Queen in a super uncomfortable position (the Queen without whom he wouldn't be a prince in the first place!), he also comes off incredible sexist (as though it's somehow a bad thing that his wife ranks higher than him) and he's hurting the otherwise improving relationship between himself and the Danes.

Come on now, it only takes a glance through history to see that officially, a King ranks higher than a Queen. When time comes, Mary won't be any higher ranking than Henrik is now – regardless of her title as Queen Consort. It's really unflattering that he doesn't seem to learn from prior mistakes. Some things are better left unsaid.
Agreed.
Just when he was improving his popularity by being a nice grandpa, he brings up this topic again.
He needs to let things go. No way it will be changed now.
Margrethe must have the patience of an angel lol.

And like Muhler says, if Henrik is still around when Frederik becomes King and Mary Queen, I hope he would have enough sense and love to support his son and not show resentment towards him.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Courtier

As a dude myself I find this embarrassing and a credit to the negative stereotypes about us.....Ofc he is lower than his wife she is Royal by blood he is Royal by marriage she is the reason my he is a prince ....
All I have to say to Henrik is:

Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes but it is also the Order of Precedence. At the New Years Reception, at State Banquets, at ceremonial or protocollary events it is always 1 Dronningen, 2 Prinsgemalen, 3 Kronprinsen, 4 Kronprinsessen.
Yes, I know that, but I have never really thought about if PH "really" is nr 2 or if he just arrives, sits etc as nr 2 for practical reasons.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The position of Prince Henrik has been settled after these problems in 2002

The Queen decided that the Prince would have the style and title of H.K.H. Prinsgemalen and always and ever enjoy a precedence with or directly after her. The other problem the Prince saw (the independent budget and income for the Dutch Prince-Consort) has not been tackled yet. I can see where he comes from. In the Netherlands the position of Prince-Consort has evolued in an independent role, thanks to the (almost overshadowing) prominence of Prince Bernhard. Since 1972 the Dutch Prince-Consort has an own independent income and and own independent Budget. Prince Henrik however is in these matters still "an annex to his wife" and must indeed so now and then feel as the fifth wheel to the wagon.

That he was "overlooked" for the New Year's Reception, after decades of service to Danmark indeed was painful and unneccessary. Since then the Danish Royal House has set the things straight but apparently Prince Henrik still holds some grudge.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
As a dude myself I find this embarrassing and a credit to the negative stereotypes about us.....Ofc he is lower than his wife she is Royal by blood he is Royal by marriage she is the reason my he is a prince ....

that song also came to my head when I was reading this news
Old 02-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Is he going on about that again?!?

One should think that he in these days would have something better to worry about.
PH is not going to be king, won't happen, forget it! That has been made clear by both the politicians as well as the public opinion.
Gender egality does not apply here.

There are times when I want to whack PH in the back of the head with a shovel and this in one of those times!
I'm sorry that he brought the topic up when speaking to the press. Too bad HM could not publicly deliver a swift kick to his shins.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post

that song also came to my head when I was reading this news
haha, well it's very appropriate in the given circumstances
Old 02-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The firstborn child of the monarch (or heir), is by law the crown prince/ss - when he/she turns eighteen and sign a pledge to obey the Constitution and is a member of the State Church. Not even the monarch can change that.

Everybody else's title is up to the monarch.

But as king traditionally outranks a queen and the Parliament okays any new title (even if it's usually a formality) at least in DK PH is and will remain a Prince Consort.
Thank you.

I am sure Prince Henrik's rank would not change if (hypothetically) his title changed. The king traditionally outranks the queen when he is the sovereign and she is the consort, however, Queen Margrethe II is and will remain the sovereign.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think the Consort Prince outranks the CP, but in QM's absence CP ranks higher. I think it happened during one of the New Year receptions when Frederik outranked his father when standing in for QM and Henrik flipped, went to Caix and the Queen had to travel there to appease him and bring him back
Correct.

In the constitutional context the crown Prince(/ss) will always outrank anyone else when the monarch isn't around. The Law of Succession states that clearly because then the crown prince(/ss) automatically becomes Regent or act as Regent.
The same thing applies to the appointed Rigsforstander when the monarch and crown prince is abroad. - So PH could easily end up having to step fives steps back and again being outranked by Joachim and soon even Nikolai, because a Rigsforstander is primarily picked among those in the Line of Succession.
- Judging from his previous behavior PH will lock himself for two months sucking his thumb, should that happen.

It really is a cultural thing I believe. PH is very conservative in regards to identifying himself as the patriarch of the family! And that's why he has problems accepting being "usurped" by his son.
Whereas I would be beaming with pride like a lighthouse on speed in seeing my son taking over and doing a good job at it.

I fear and believe PH would retire almost permanently to Cayz should he be alive when Frederik becomes king. And this IMO not only childish but unfair and must unsupportive towards his son who will be in an unpleasant and new position as it is. Not to mention the grief Frederik will feel.
But royals are humans too and humans have faults...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Majesty

And as can be expected (sigh) the news about PH again whining about not being king has hit the Danish news: Se klippet fra hollandsk tv: Henrik åbner for konge-snakken nok engang - Royale | www.bt.dk

http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongeli...n-kone/5448732

The sympathy is somewhat limited and apart from saying that he is only human I see no reason to defend him.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Henrik's complaining has hit the Danish media! Even as the main story of the more serious TV2.dk and there was a 2 minutes long clip from the press conference in the TV news this noon. After the clip ended the two tv-hosts looked a each other, smiled and said with a laugh "I guess there have been a family meeting after that press conference..."

It was the first time I saw the clip... And Queen Margrethe certainly don't think it was particularly enjoyable. First she looks down.. then she takes a glass of water.. before finally pats Henrik on his shoulder to signal it's enough now.

The Danes reactions have been as usual. Oh, get over it!

But to repeat Muhler's words. Royals are humans and humans have faults.

You can see the clip here at tv2.dk:
Ekspert: Dronningen sættes i penibel situation | GO'
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think Prince Henrik's comments come across as rather childish. It's like when little children say they want to go first because they're the oldest child there. I agree, he should just forget about it and move on. He should also know better by now as given the fact that he's been a member of the Danish Royal House for quite a long while now, surely he's well aware of the fact that, as Roskilde has pointed out, he couldn't be King in the first place (as he married into the DRF) since Kings rank higher than Queens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
I agree with Elsa!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Was Queen Margarethe the first's husband King of Denmark.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Was Queen Margarethe the first's husband King of Denmark.
No, he was king of Norway. When he died QMI's son was next in line for the three Nordic thrones (these things happen I guess). But as he was a minor, QMI became Regent in her son's name.
Alas, her son died before he could become king. So she ended up adopting a new son, who was politically palatable for all three countries.

But strictly speaking QMI was never a monarch in her own right, but de facto there was rarely any doubt as to who was in charge! Hence she has been labelled Queen Margrethe I.

(I've written more about this very formidable queen in her own thread).
Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Muhler, I saw her Grave at Roskilde 's Church.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Serene Highness

Oh my oh my how amusing to watch the complete car crash Henrik made the press conference! I don't understand his point at all, every male consort in Europe in recent times has been a Prince, Henrik moaned so much last time with his running away drama he was made Prince Consort so why doesn't he just leave it alone?! I feel so so sorry for Margarethe, she must have wanted to take a crown and smack him in the face with it! It also shows Henrik's lack of understanding to use the examples of Scottish Queen's (factually correct but not the best example to compare oneself to) and Maxima (Who is technically not Queen for the exact reason Henrik is moaning - making it fairer!!)
Old 02-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Is he going on about that again?!?

One should think that he in these days would have something better to worry about.
PH is not going to be king, won't happen, forget it! That has been made clear by both the politicians as well as the public opinion.
Gender egality does not apply here.

There are times when I want to whack PH in the back of the head with a shovel and this in one of those times!
Queen Margrethe did it for you...that hand on his back had claws of steel, I am certain

Quote:
The Law of Succession and the Monarch.

The firstborn child of the monarch (or heir), is by law the crown prince/ss - when he/she turns eighteen and sign a pledge to obey the Constitution and is a member of the State Church. Not even the monarch can change that.
Everybody else's title is up to the monarch.

But as king traditionally outranks a queen and the Parliament okays any new title (even if it's usually a formality) at least in DK PH is and will remain a Prince Consort.

Personally I can't understand why it's so bloody important to him. Currently he holds the second highest position in the kingdom, no matter the title, one should think that was enough.
I hope for the sake of family-peace in the DRF that PH will die before QMII, so he won't get another fit when his son and daugher-in-law outranks him.

I mean, come on there are to put it mildly more important things on the agenda!
Muhler, your Prince Consort is of French origin; wars have been fought in France about 'le placement', who is more important! It is a French thing and he will never get over it.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Serene Highness

Dutch State Visit to Denmark: March 17-19, 2015

Hahahaha this gave me the laugh of the day 😂 Prince Henrik will never get over it. He has not accepted this from day 1 and he will one day leave the earth bitter about this matter. He will probably be heard yelling from his grave that his casket is less decorated than the one for his wife. Yes a King would outrank a Queen regent and technically become the new regent but Henrik knows that and it is excactly what he wants.

As some of you have aldready said it is very stupid to bring up this matter with dutch journalists. Journalists from a country that has just had 3 Queen Regents with Princely husbands in a row with success.

I also fear that Henrik will not support Frederik if Margrethe dies before him. I kind of hope that Henrik has already moved in to Roskilde Cathedral the day the next accession takes place.
He will never accept being nr 3 in the house and will probably move to France permanently if that happens.
But maybe that would be a good thing for Frederik so he won't need to excuse his father each and every time he meets a journalist.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I too think it might be a benefit for Frederik if QMII outlives Henrik. At the very least it would spare him a lot of embarrassments in an already tough time because I have no doubt in the world that Henrik would throw multiple public hissy fits about being outranked by his son.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 AM
Serene Highness

Queen margrethe has her hands full with Henrik lol .......

Tags
danish royals, i should be king, prince henrik, prince henrik king discussion