The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

Unfortunately, I believe he is "ill". I did some searching and discovered that he was making inappropriate comments as far back as 2002. I think we are just seeing a progression of the illness. How difficult this must be for the family given they are in the limelight.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM
Courtier

in a lighter vein, i read somewhere that the only plausible solution now is to declare that in future wife of king will be princess consort, not queen..
the reaction of mary and her aussie media fans would be priceless, though..
and thats not a big deal..when the time is right, a gentle nudge to a sympathetic politician is enough to get the parliament grant her the style of queen "as per social convention," just like maxima got it done..

Old 10-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
in a lighter vein, i read somewhere that the only plausible solution now is to declare that in future wife of king will be princess consort, not queen..
the reaction of mary and her aussie media fans would be priceless, though..
and thats not a big deal..when the time is right, a gentle nudge to a sympathetic politician is enough to get the parliament grant her the style of queen "as per social convention," just like maxima got it done..

I don't think Mary would care what she was called !!!!
Neither would us Aussies we are not like the Camila gang who are so distressed at thought of her not being called Queen

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't think Mary would care what she was called !!!!
Neither would us Aussies we are not like the Camila gang who are so distressed at thought of her not being called Queen
I agree about Mary. She was raised an Aussie. She might actually be pleased with such an outcome.

And I can't imagine her Aussie followers would get their knickers in a twist if Mary wasn't called Queen. She'd be just as interesting as wife of the King and mother of a Crown Prince no matter what she's called.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Again, I think we are seeing the effects of old age.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

If his comments are due to old age then what is the reason for Prince Philip's often very in-appropriate comments starting a long time ago? Prince Henrik is "mad as hell" about his perceived "slight" and young or old, it has bothered him for a very long time.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Majesty

this is true. gender equality needs to work both ways. if this were a woman, she will probably be queen and not just princess. why doesn't henri get the same treatment? is there word on what mary's title will be when frederik becomes king? i bet she will get to be styled as queen, in which case it's unfair for henri to be prince only.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he comes of incredibly uneducated every time he opens his mouth about this subject. As though he doesn't bother to enlighten himself on the matter. As though he virtually doesn't know that, historically, the title of "King" has ranged higher than the title of "Queen".

He also comes off as extremely ungrateful. Title-wise, he would be nothing if he hadn't married QMII (this title of Count the DRF is pushing is highly dubious). That alone should just make him grateful that she has elevated him to Prince and since Prince Consort. While I like Henrik and genuinely believe him to be a very grounded person (evident by the way he can talk and have a laugh with anyone), I think it's very insensitive and first world-like of him to keep bringing this up. And he's not doing himself any favours by continuously doing so, that's for sure.

That said, I would love to see Queen Consort Henrik happen

Quote:
But you can't compare the two cases. There was no precedent for Henrik's case but a nice solution in form of Prince Consort has been introduced for him, yet he keeps moaning about not being the King. In Camilla's case, she's (probably) refusing the title of Queen because she's afraid of the reactions it would feed. And IMO that's wrong. Camilla has every right to use the title of Queen and so she should.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I think he comes of incredibly uneducated every time he opens his mouth about this subject. As though he doesn't bother to enlighten himself on the matter. As though he virtually doesn't know that, historically, the title of "King" has ranged higher than the title of "Queen".

He also comes off as extremely ungrateful. Title-wise, he would be nothing if he hadn't married QMII (this title of Count the DRF is pushing is highly dubious). That alone should just make him grateful that she has elevated him to Prince and since Prince Consort. While I like Henrik and genuinely believe him to be a very grounded person (evident by the way he can talk and have a laugh with anyone), I think it's very insensitive and first world-like of him to keep bringing this up. And he's not doing himself any favours by continuously doing so, that's for sure.

That said, I would love to see Queen Consort Henrik happen

But you can't compare the two cases. There was no precedent for Henrik's case but a nice solution in form of Prince Consort has been introduced for him, yet he keeps moaning about not being the King. In Camilla's case, she's (probably) refusing the title of Queen because she's afraid of the reactions it would feed. And IMO that's wrong. Camilla has every right to use the title of Queen and so she should.

I'm not comparing them I'm saying we Aussies wouldn't care

Old 10-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Majesty

While Denmark has a Prince Consort who is, at present, a thorn in the side of the DRF, raging at the "dying of the light", you mostly have a country that grins and bears his eccentricities or maybe grinds their teeth thinking, "this too shall pass".

The thing that intrigues me about this thread is all those non-Danes who seem to think that centuries of history should be tossed aside and the Consort named either King or Queen or Prince and Princess, for no other reasons that they think that is the way it should be.

Now if those people were from monarchies set up in such a way it would irritate me but not overly so. However, most of these "radical" calls have come from those in Republics who have no monarchy.

To me the questions are:

Do these people think theirs is the only way; or

do they think we should all fold up our tents, split the crown jewels and become a republic within in their utopian dream?
Old 10-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
While Denmark has a Prince Consort who is, at present, a thorn in the side of the DRF, raging at the "dying of the light", you mostly have a country that grins and bears his eccentricities or maybe grinds their teeth thinking, "this too shall pass".

The thing that intrigues me about this thread is all those non-Danes who seem to think that centuries of history should be tossed aside and the Consort named either King or Queen or Prince and Princess, for no other reasons that they think that is the way it should be.

Now if those people were from monarchies set up in such a way it would irritate me but not overly so. However, most of these "radical" calls have come from those in Republics who have no monarchy.

To me the questions are:

Do these people think theirs is the only way; or

do they think we should all fold up our tents, split the crown jewels and become a republic within in their utopian dream?
I'm from a monarchy which will have a Queen Victoria and Prince Daniel in a near future and another Queen after that if all goes well. I have just pointed out that this is a real discussion that has to be talked about within the monarchies since it doesn't seem fair that a male consort is not curtsied too while a female consort is. I think the best thing would be the King-Queen/Queen-Prince version but that the accompanying appendix of "Consort" makes it majesty. So if you're a princess or a crown princess you're a your highness and ranked after that. But if you are a prince consort you become a your majesty and the same rank as a Queen consort.

So what I'm saying is that Henri has a small point, but is a fool.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm not comparing them I'm saying we Aussies wouldn't care

you don't speak for me. I do care
Old 10-19-2015, 06:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Sorry, what do you care about?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
So do I.

I can't see why we in the holy names of political correctness and gender equality should "demote" Mary to princess consort. Especially as the current system has worked fine for more than a thousand years.
And also since PH is a dying breed. I.e. the type of man who per default see himself as the patriarch of the family and therefore must have a corresponding title.

Look at Albert in UK, he wielded more power and more influence than PH could ever hope for, yet he seemed perfectly contend with his "modest" title. - And that was 150 years ago.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

If the other monarchies, don't follow suit. It would be the same problem of the wife of the King is a Princess Consort. No other European monarchy has the husband of a Queen Regent as a King Consort. Henrik is in the same position as Philip.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Serene Highness

Many years ago we were always taught that the title of KING is the highest of all in the land. Queen second. The reason Prince Philip was not made King was because he would have had a higher position in the country over his wife, a queen. That was taught back in the 50s when Queen Elizabeth II took the crown. Men always took top billing and Philip definitely was not top in country so he could not be king. It was the way things were and taught.

Now, times have changed along with titles, etc. and people want everything to change with it. I see nothing wrong with a complimentary title of king if in fact his wife is still recognized as head of country. She would still have all the rights and responsibilities of queen while he just had his wanted courtesy title. But, it would have to be made clear that if the queen died, he would not be head of country and not reigning king. That honor would be passed on to the heir. Really I don't see the fuss as long as guidelines were set in stone, so to speak.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Serene Highness

Except I think that would open a can of worms. Sometime in the future a country could have a "power" hungry king and it could become a problem. NOW, the problem seems to be just PH, and honestly, he needs to get over it. He knew the rules of the game when he married QM. Maybe down deep he expected he could change things. If he truly is that old school he may have thought he could wield enough influence as a husband to change things. He just seems like an angry, foolish old man.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Except I think that would open a can of worms. Sometime in the future a country could have a "power" hungry king and it could become a problem. NOW, the problem seems to be just PH, and honestly, he needs to get over it. He knew the rules of the game when he married QM. Maybe down deep he expected he could change things. If he truly is that old school he may have thought he could wield enough influence as a husband to change things. He just seems like an angry, foolish old man.
Exactly. The thing is that in some documents it says "the king" and not the monarch. Which doesn't matter much right now. But if there was a King Consort that wanted to take of advantage of that it could get really nasty. So they would have to change documents (which usually is a rather long process). So it's just easier to keep it as it is for the moment.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
NOW, the problem seems to be just PH, and honestly, he needs to get over it. He knew the rules of the game when he married QM. Maybe down deep he expected he could change things. If he truly is that old school he may have thought he could wield enough influence as a husband to change things. He just seems like an angry, foolish old man.
I don't know about foolish, just an old man that might be going through a bit of on-set dementia. Sometimes this is a slow process that takes a good twenty years to form, starting when the person is in their 40/50s. It happens more than we realize but doesn't manifest until later in life. Whatever the reason, his family will protect him and his loving grandchildren will make sure he is happy.

Sure he knew when he married he wouldn't be "king" and that his wife would always hold a higher station in life. Maybe he was tired of playing second fiddle after all these years and wanted to stir a bit of trouble and see what happens. You never know, some people might have seen his side of things. Strange thing happen all the time. I just don't believe he looks all that well anymore.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
[...] So they would have to change documents (which usually is a rather long process). So it's just easier to keep it as it is for the moment.
Well it is not that difficult to change all documents in one go. When in 1890, after only Kings, suddenly a Queen became head of the state (in the Netherlands), a simple Act was published:

"As long as the Crown is worn by a Queen, in all legal documents, all titles of offices and all offical namings, the word King must be read as Queen, with respect for all necessary linguļstic changes connected to this."

This means that -for an example- a verdict with the rubber stamp "In The Name Of The King!" still is lawful, even when there is a Queen, thanks to this ultra-short Act. So it will all by all not that difficult in today's monarchies to adapt linguļstic changes in formal documents.

Tags
danish royals, i should be king, prince henrik, prince henrik king discussion