Prince Henrik's Plans for his Final Resting Place: August 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on your first post. :flowers:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

LOL Thank you! I usually just browse around the forums but this man-child made me angry enough to actually sign up and write something :bang::bang::bang:

I can't see how he was a diplomat working in foreign countries before marry into the royal family. Maybe his diplomatic skills disappeared with age? And to think most royals are good at putting up a front for the cameras...

1. I've been following norgesvennen QMII (the Norway friend, as the norwegian media calls her) for a long time.

2. She often gives interviews to Norwegian magazines when she is in Norway.

3. She has always said (as late as this year) that she is going to sit on the throne till she dies.

4. That's why I have repeatedly said that this is what she's going to do.

5. But now I start to agree with Muhler, and I actually think an abdication may be a possibility.

It would be a VERY sad end to her reign if it is forced upon her by her petulant FOOL of a Husband, and I cannot see her retirement would be especially happy - giving up a life's work to keep company with a crotchety old misery guts ?
Far better [for her] to keep on doing what she does best,representing the nation and people she loves and serves.
Best for her, but perhaps not for the Crown Prince and Crown Princess ?

Whatever the considerations were, a choice is always personal.

When the Prince feels that he does not deserve an equal treatment to his spouse after death, because he did not receive equal treatment during life, then that is a pretty consequent way of handling. No hypocrisy here: his stance during lifetime is his stance after lifetime. This consequent way of acting is actually refreshing.

PH has recently been hospitalized and has undergone surgery. Perhaps he is more ill than we know. Even an 83-year-old Prince may fear death, and like the moving Dylan Thomas poem, he is raging 'against the dying of the light.'

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. People facing death are not always stiff-lipped and noble.

There are a lot of emotions that come with brushes with the end of life - whilst I don't agree with the wording and the way it has been released, PH was previously Catholic (I am Protestant myself btw) and maybe as he approaches his winter days is feeling more the loss of his 'birth' denomination and country, and QMII aware of what he gave up is giving back? whilst history has been of a tradition for 'years' there is no reason that QMII and PH must be buried as per before - look at the changes when William the Conqueror arrived in England, and the 'traditions' that were lost then, and the many that have been either turned over or put aside. I think today we feel the loss of traditional structures in so many ways that we cling to what went before as the strength of who and what we and our various Royal families are. It was only a generation or two before that the younger offspring of a Monarch were 'kept' and lived a life of indulgence. Now we have people making comment when the heir to the heir (and his wife) W &K) don't happen to perform a public duty in a period of time, despite the fact that they are not on the Civic list .... yet. I do not have issue with the feelings of the Danish People as they support their Queen, but QMII and PH have always seemed to love each other, even through opposing views.

It would be a VERY sad end to her reign if it is forced upon her by her petulant FOOL of a Husband, and I cannot see her retirement would be especially happy - giving up a life's work to keep company with a crotchety old misery guts ?
Far better [for her] to keep on doing what she does best,representing the nation and people she loves and serves.
Best for her, but perhaps not for the Crown Prince and Crown Princess ?

It's taken me a while to post anything on this thread because I'm so so sad and upset for the Queen and really didn't know what to say. Other people were expressing things so much better than me (and thank you Muhler, as ever, for keeping us up to date with the news in Denmark). Thank you Whevale as I think you've summed up how I feel - I think it would be a tragedy for Queen Margrethe if she felt compelled to abdicate because of this. I always try to think the best of people but I just can't at the moment think of Prince Henrik as anything other than an 'old misery guts' :bang:

As far as I can work out I think she is still at Graasten with Princess Benedicte as she still has some engagements to carry out before she goes to France on Tuesday when the Crown Prince becomes Regent. I'm sure she is getting a lot of support from her sister. One of the many things I have admired about QMII is that she is such a devout Christian (I'm a lay preacher in the Church of England) and have always been impressed when she has talked about her faith. I pray that that is helping her at this time.

Hello!
I know that I have not been here for a very long time... I am sorry for that. I have decided to come back to take part in the discussions again.
I have to say that I am deeply shocked by the news about Prince Henrik. I cannot believe it! He did wrong as a Husband. I suppose he is more focused on his title than everything else! :(
Oh, I cannot imagine how Her Majesty feels... so many years of marriage and suddenly something like that. Certainly, it is difficult not only for her, but the whole family.

Ready for an eye-opener?

H.K.H. Prins Henrik begraves ikke i Roskilde Domkirke | Kongehuset

This is official from the court. PH does not wish to be buried next to his wife at Roskilde Cathedral.
He will however be buried elsewhere in Denmark, the location is yet to be disclosed.

There have been rumors for the past few days that PH wished to be buried in France, but so far I've opted not to mention it, as it would be speculation.

QMII has known about PH's decision for some time and is accepting the decision.

-----------------

This is interesting!

There have been speculations for a while that the Regent Couple have de facto separated. This will add credence to that notion.
Unless there is a very good reason as to why, why will he not be buried next to his wife?
Especially since a pretty expensive and elaborate sarcophagus is being made for them, so that they can be interred together inside Roskilde Cathedral.

At present I can only conclude that there is now a complete break-up between PH and QMII.
I cannot help speculating that this is a kind of pay-back if you will from PH aimed at QMII.
This is going to hit the news big time here in DK!

The sympathy PH got from the public, be that fairly silent, from his recent surgery, will be gone by the end of this day.
It will be seen as PH once again letting down his wife, and the Monarch.
It is very likely also to be seen as another, shall we say, fit by PH.
Whatever, unless there are very good reasons for this decision, PH's popularity is going to drop like a rock!

It will also rekindle ongoing speculations about QMII abdicating, now going from "she has deserved it" to "perhaps it's better if M&F take over".

Poor Margrethe II her husband comes off as a self absorbed toad. I watched Prince Philip retire with dignity yesterday. From rumors and reports he bristled at his secondary role early in QE2's reign but he would never ever publicly (repeatedly) shame Her Majesty or the royal family in this way.
Initially Prince Philip was treated quite shamefully by courtiers and certain ministers of the government. They sought to marginalise him in any way they could. It is known that he believed that he had as many rights as an amoeba, but he manned up, gritted his teeth and prevailed as a loving if somewhat irascible, husband, father and Prince Consort. 95 years old and a man among men. That Prince Henrik timed this to "Announcement" to the last day of Prince Philip's "working life" or the first of his "Retirement", I am in no doubt.

However, it is only by extreme arrogance that he could compare himself to Philip. Henrik's behaviour has become more and more insulting, humiliating and in this final announcement, nothing less than malicious. For a man who has claimed to love his wife he has treated her abominably with his petty insults, causing her public humiliation and for a woman of her strength and love for her husband, the pity of her people must have been a bitter pill to swallow over the years.

But this, to be publicly seen to be rejected, even after death, must have caused her anguish and pain to such a degree that I do not see how their marriage can survive. The atmosphere must be toxic because if he blames her for not being King Consort, his anger and jealousy toward his son Frederik for holding that power in his mother's absence must be almost overwhelming.

I know of no solution. I doubt that HM will divorce him, being a woman of faith and love for a most undeserving husband. But this time he has gone too far and Denmark itself may have the last word.

Last edited:
Part of me wishes he'd live out his final days in a French abbey and that he takes a vow of silence as he out of control and is an embarrassing liability to the DRF.

Part of me wishes he'd live out his final days in a French abbey and that he takes a vow of silence as he out of control and is an embarrassing liability to the DRF.

That sounds like a really good solution as you're right - he is an embarrassing liability at the moment, sadly.

I feel very sorry for his wife the Queen ,his children and grandchildren what a tiresome old buffoon Prince Henrik has become.

Whatever the considerations were, a choice is always personal.

When the Prince feels that he does not deserve an equal treatment to his spouse after death, because he did not receive equal treatment during life, then that is a pretty consequent way of handling. No hypocrisy here: his stance during lifetime is his stance after lifetime. This consequent way of acting is actually refreshing.

No hypocrisy? - You said it!
Refreshing? - Can't say I agree with you there though.

I don't know if you are married, but I can tell you few wives would that one lying down!
If I pulled a similar stunt against Mrs. Muhler, not because I didn't love her, but because of misgivings and failed ambitions of mine, which she is not responsible for and cannot do anything about, while trying to help and accommodate me for years, she would go absolutely ballistic! We are not merely talking about a permanent sleeping arrangement on the couch! She'd be seriously mad!
And even worse, she would be deeply hurt.

- And all that is something QMII must endure.

Where other wives would have thrust the divorce papers down PH's throat, A divorce is almost unthinkable from QMII. It's for better or worse, she pledged that before God.
She can't even kick him out of the palace, but I doubt PH & QMII are going to see a lot of each other in the future, no matter what happens.
QMII's ultimate retaliation would be a divorce, but I cannot see her taking that step. She would find that too damaging both for the monarchy and for her own legacy. She would abdicate before going that far.

As for PH having religious qualms about being interred at a Protestant cathedral.
Well, PH has never shown signs of being particularly religious, if at all. And should he suddenly reverting to become a Catholic again, why not just say so? I'm sure a Catholic funeral service could be arranged if need be. It's after all only QMII and the Regent who must be a Protestant.
Instead the statement from Lene Belleby of the court was very clear. And a commentator yesterday said she is very discreet in regards to the DRF "bordering on being silent". It was because PH feels discriminated against that he has chosen to distance himself from not only the DRF, but also his wife.

The self-declared ultra royalist, Jim Lyngvild, who is also not afraid of speaking his mind when a member of the DRF goofs, says: "It might be that the man is suffering from mild dementia or going nuts. But I will not stand for this. That you first say: that I will not celebrate my golden anniversary with the women who has been by my side for a whole life, and that you will not be buried with her. Then get a divorce. Leave her. Renounce your apanage, you old a**hole".

:lol::lol::lol:
The bolded sums up my feelings exactly!

I don't think this reflects negatively on the DRF. If anything I feel a large amount of sympathy for them for putting up with him all these years. If he is willing to embarrass his wife publicly like this, imagine what he does in private!

The first comment from the family: Prins Joachim: Det er ikke en nyhed for os - TV 2

At an event today at Copenhagen Town Hall, Joachim said to Ekstra Bladet:
Det er ikke en nyhed for os i familien, og vi er indforståede med det, = "It's no news for us in the family and we accept it".

- Well, he could hardly say anything else.
Just like QMII, Joachim and all the other members of the DRF can hardly say they do not accept it.

----------------

LIGE NU: Her er Joachims reaktion på prins Henriks chok-nyhed | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
To BT Joachim said: Vi i familien har vidst det i noget tid, og vi er ligesom dronningen indforstået med det,« - "We in the family have known for some time and just like the Queen, we accept it". (Or perhaps even more correct: We are in acceptance.)

The first comment from the family: Prins Joachim: Det er ikke en nyhed for os - TV 2

At an event today at Copenhagen Town Hall, Joachim said to Ekstra Bladet:
Det er ikke en nyhed for os i familien, og vi er indforståede med det, = "It's no news for us in the family and we accept it".

- Well, he could hardly say anything else.
Just like QMII, Joachim and all the other members of the DRF can hardly say they do not accept it.

----------------

LIGE NU: Her er Joachims reaktion på prins Henriks chok-nyhed | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk
To BT Joachim said: Vi i familien har vidst det i noget tid, og vi er ligesom dronningen indforstået med det,« - "We in the family have known for some time and just like the Queen, we accept it". (Or perhaps even more correct: We are in acceptance.)

Yeah that's pretty much what I expected. They can't really say 'I agree' or 'I disagree' with Henrik's decision. So 'I accept' seems reasonable. If their mother has accepted it, who are they to say no :sad:

Is it possible he has the start of dementia? It does sound awfully petty to refuse the burial next to his wife. When I read statements like, "Henrik also risk losing all the sympathy and respect he has build up over his many years in Denmark" it sounds like he may not have been so petty in the past. I have not followed him closely and don't know for how long and how strongly he has been so childish but I'm just wondering.

Joining the above opinions, I have no words for Henrik's new tantrum (actually I have, but I'd better keep them to myself) and I would totally support and applaud QMII if she decides to divorce him, or go for a de facto separation, or at the very least send him to France for good. Better to be done by the court than let it be done by the danish people, I think. What a pity that he owns his own French castle to the same country he's now insulting. How ironic life can be :whistling:

I actually can see how this could indirectly damage the DRF -nobody like a Spaniard to know how individual behaviours and selfishness can damage the whole monarchical institution, you know ? - but I really hope the Danes will know how to differentiate between the members of the RF. That's why I think they'd better put a public distance between theirs and Henrik's ideas, and the sooner the better, as hard as I imagine it might be for them.

Muhler;2007810 As for PH having religious qualms about being interred at a Protestant cathedral. Well said:
very[/B] discreet in regards to the DRF "bordering on being silent". It was because PH feels discriminated against that he has chosen to distance himself from not only the DRF, but also his wife.

I'm sure there are several catholic's buried in Rosklide Cathedral from the time before it became a proterstant Church. And if Prince Henrik would have problems with that or the choosen location this could have discussed before the Plans for the fuenral was made puiblic several years ago.

I actually saw (from my office tv) Joachim on TV2's Good Morning Denmark, then he didn't want to comment on it.

Last edited:
Instead the statement from Lene Belleby of the court was very clear. And a commentator yesterday said she is very discreet in regards to the DRF "bordering on being silent".

Muhler, who do you believe to have chosen Lene Balleby's indiscreet statements yesterday?

Is it possible he has the start of dementia? It does sound awfully petty to refuse the burial next to his wife. When I read statements like, "Henrik also risk losing all the sympathy and respect he has build up over his many years in Denmark" it sounds like he may not have been so petty in the past. I have not followed him closely and don't know for how long and how strongly he has been so childish but I'm just wondering.

Just as in the retirement thread PH is an endlessly fascinating study of human psychology! The wonderful thing about PH's psychology is that everyone can have an opinion and be right.
Dementia is indeed a plausible thought, but in that case he should be suffering from advanced dementia for years now.
I think it's perhaps more a question of him being obsessive. Many people are obsessive without being clinically insane. That's a stage many teenagers go through when they are fan of someone. But PH has in the last few years taken the step to becoming irrationally obsessive. He's still not insane, mind you. Not enough to lock him up.
We can debate endlessly as to why he has become so obsessive. To the point of public self destruction. My bids are extreme egocentric and a serious megalomaniac streak.

I can hardly imagine how terrible it must be to see your husband, father, father-in-law and grandpapa, self-destruct in full public glare.

PH sure has had his problems here in DK! he was welcomed with open arms at first. Dashing and a bit exotic as he was. The problem with marrying into a tribe as PH did, is that you are either accepted by the tribe or you are not. It's 0 or 1, nothing inbetween.
PH early on annoyed the tribe. He wasn't serious enough about learning the language. (To his own regret and you'd be surprised how important that is!) He came across as arrogant, a kind of look-at-me, look-at-meee, oh and there is my wife. He also had considerable problems about his position when on the job. Not walking in front of QMII, which he tended to do. And back in the 70's that annoyed most women! There are persistent rumors that Queen Ingrid told him off on several occasions.
On top of that Danish humor is hard! It's very self-deprecating and if you take yourself too serious, you are in for a hard time!

Yet, PH did his job. He stood by QMII's side, without much recognition.

Then he had his tantrum at the fateful New Year Court where Frederik had to stand in for QMII, as the head of state. PH could not accept that. He could not accept that he was not standing in for the head of state, despite the Constitution saying clearly that if the Monarch is incapacitated, the Regent steps in.
That PH felt usurped by his own son is totally alien to the general Danish mindset. Where I and most Danish dads in such a situation would be over the moon with pride for our sons, PH felt snubbed.

Okay, then PH got a chance to really convey what he felt and there was a general feeling in the tribe that okay he may have goofed, but perhaps we didn't give him that much of a chance.
And PH became increasingly popular and in fact got a bit of a cult status among the young.
Then he vented the idea about becoming king and was told in no uncertain terms: No! Not gonna happen! Never! Forget it! - Let's not talk more about that!
Then he aired his misgivings at the now infamous Dutch interview, visibly embarrassing QMII. - That was bad!
Snubbing his wife at the jubilee, only to stroll around in Italy a couple of days later, was infuriating!
Then the very odd and sudden retirement and now this!
- The family may be more tolerant, but the public patience has now run out.

(Shortened)

I actually can see how this could indirectly damage the DRF -nobody like a Spaniard to know how individual behaviours and selfishness can damage the whole monarchical institution, you know ? - but I really hope the Danes will know how to differentiate between the members of the RF. That's why I think they'd better put a public distance between theirs and Henrik's ideas, and the sooner the better, as hard as I imagine it might be for them.

This is one step too far for the Danes. And I believe I can safely say that I speak for practically all of us.
There was a lot of resentment when he snubbed QMII in connection with her jubilee. That was a public humiliation and we do not like to see our Queen humiliated! And now he's done it again, and done it big time! Unless he's locked up in a rest-home within the next few month I cannot see how PH will be forgiven by the public for that one!
PH may be separating himself from the DRF as an institution. But the price is that the Danes are separating themselves from him.

Muhler, who do you believe to have chosen Lene Balleby's indiscreet statements yesterday?

Lene Balleby does not say a word that is not approved or approvable by QMII.

That Joachim today has used the exact same phrases suggests to me that this was something QMII and her sons agreed on.
Probably aided by advisors.

Jyllands Posten has an editorial today: En dum beslutning af prins Henrik. Men han fortjener også respekt - Leder - Debat

It is hard, but as can be expected by a serious newspaper, it's also fair. As a business paper it very much acknowledge the good things PH has done for Denmark.
The editorial basically laments that PH has done such a foolish and self-absorbed thing.

- Perhaps other Danish members, or someone who can read Danish will translate some quotes?
It's a good and well balance editorial, well worth a read.

----------------

The interesting articles are pouring in right now! Sorry, but I really have to cook dinner.

Here PH's very close friend Erik Brandt is very frank indeed! It is also very much worth a read!

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2017-...enrik-i-dag-vil-du-vide-hvor-jeg-vil-begraves

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone even thought that Prince Henrik wish to be laid to rest in a more serene spot in the future? Not all husbands and wives are buried together you know. It doesn't mean they don't end up together in the next phase upon transition.

next phase upon transition.

Is this 'transition' some kind of Mystical/Religious event ?

When the Queen in placed in Roskilde it will be in perpetuity.. I imagine that Henrik plans to placed [wherever he is placed] also in perpetuity [nobody plans or expects to be moved about once a funeral has occurred !]

Last edited:
It seems that the media attention became stronger since the news have appeared.
I believe that Danish Royals will cope with it but it may be not easy - at the beginning at least. I hope that everything will be OK. I would like to see a happy Danish Royal Family again because I have a respect for them.
Muhler, thank you so much for all explanations! :)

Is this 'transition' some kind of Mystical/Religious event ?

When the Queen in placed in Roskilde it will be in perpetuity.. I imagine that Henrik plans to placed [wherever he is placed] also in perpetuity [nobody plans or expects to be moved about once a funeral has occurred !]

I'm talking about death. It's our prerogative where we wish to be buried. I'm sure Queen Margrethe is perfectly fine on his decision.

Has anyone even thought that Prince Henrik wish to be laid to rest in a more serene spot in the future? Not all husbands and wives are buried together you know. It doesn't mean they don't end up together in the next phase upon transition.

Again, Henrik has every right to be buried where he wants, eg not sure the Spanish Kings will be buried together. Nobody would say a word if he wanted his last rest eg in his home country, France.

What makes this so outrageous is the reason why, as petty revenge that the didnt get the King consort title. That's a massive snub to his wife (one of many), who he married as future Queen, as he still wants to be buried in Denmark, only not by her side.

Again, Henrik has every right to be buried where he wants, eg not sure the Spanish Kings will be buried together. Nobody would say a word if he wanted his last rest eg in his home country, France.

What makes this so outrageous is the reason why, as petty revenge that the didnt get the King consort title. That's a massive snub to his wife (one of many), who he married as future Queen, as he still wants to be buried in Denmark, only not by her side.

How do you know he's doing this out of revenge? The man just want to be buried in a location of his choice. Who are we to get highly upset because a person want to lay his bones in a different location of his wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom