Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, QMII cancelled three events and Mary cancelled a trip to Lithuania, celebrating it's 100th anniversary.

Watching the live link from DR1, (posted in an earlier post) Right now the last general rehearsal is taking place at Christiansborg.
In 18 minutes the funeral cortege will leave Amalienborg.

The drive is expected to last 15 minutes.

has the RF had to cancel any official events as a result of henrik's death and the funeral? i notice that their calendar is empty during the days before and until the 20th. i know frederik cancelled his attendance to the winter olympics but was wondering if other events had to be cancelled too, or whether the agenda was conveniently free at this period..

The kids are on school holidays this week and the week tends to be pretty empty apart from possible events QM has.

The honor company from Jutland Dragoons is lining up.
Complete with music corps and standard (estandart), not a colour because this is a cavalry regiment. An estandart is the third the size of a colour, since it is supposed to by carried by in this case a mounted dragoon.
Jutland dragoons no longer have horses, but main battle tanks.

They will play a funeral march.

The court is officially in mourning. It's up to the Monarch to decide how long the mourning period lasts.
In this case one month.

That means that the DRF will not take part in celebrations and festive events.
It also means the DRF will wear dark clothes in the mourning period.

The procession route is lined by police officers wearing black caps. Or more correctly caps without the white cover they usually use on festive occasions.

5 minutes to go.

Running commentary in this post.

The church bells have started tolling.

---------------

The crew from Dannebrog has lined up, showing their last respect for PH. The captain of Dannebrog is the Monarchs personal captain. And the most honorable command a navy officer can have.

-------------

The procession leaves now.

--------------

The Colour March is played as a salute.

--------------------

When the cars pass the Yellow Mansion next to Amalienborg, the court employees, who work in the administration there, bow.

-----------

Many if not most men along the route remove their caps and hats.

--------------------------

Approaching the French embassy.

-----------------

The popular French ambassador bowed slightly for the cars.

--------------

Closing in on The Naval Church, that is so closely linked to the DRF.

------------------

Closing in on Christiansborg. The funeral march is played.

---------------

There. The honor guard has lowered their estandart.

-------------

A very symbolic image. QMII standing alone until her family joined her.

---------------------

The bearers are all veterans from wars. Some will have tried this before...

--------------

The coffin is piped in. The grief of the DRF is respected. No frontal photos.

----------

A private ceremony at the church will now take place for the DRF.

And that's it.

I'll now leave it to our renowned newsdiggers to find and post clips and pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed while watching the live feed that as the royal family entered the church behind the coffin Nikolai and Felix did not follow them in. They turned off to the side as the inner church doors closed.

I was fine until I saw the solitary figure of Queen Margrethe watching her husband's coffin as it was removed from the hearse. That's when I started sobbing.

I've been watching the live feed from DR1 and that image of QMII standing alone waiting for her family to join her was so moving and symbolic.

Thanks for keeping us so informed Muhler :flowers:

It's over. The DRF are returning to Amalienborg and as such it's a normal transport, so they stop for red lights.

Despite the traffic lights and dimmed light because this took place after sunset, it actually worked IMO.

The darkness reinforced the somber atmosphere making it very special.

Sweet to see Athena holding Nikolai's hand.

- I also noted that Nikolai and Felix went separately. Perhaps they were to do something special, like singing? Their mother is very fond of singing. Or perhaps Alexandra were among the invited guests and they joined her?

Last edited:
I agree - I think the darkness really added to the atmosphere. I loved the fact that they had to stop for traffic lights on the way back. Seemed very Danish to me, lol!

Was the Family of Prince Henrik also there?

Very moving procession. Symbolic to see the Royal Family walking in the correct order. The Queen alone walks first, Frederik and Mary walks behind her, Christian walks behind them etc....

Thankfully the Queen's former Master of Ceremonies Christian Eugen-Olsen is one of the "experts" at DR. He guarantees that there is some form of quality, when the others are mostly babbling and overreacting to exactly everything.

And i admire the danes for staying outside to watch the procession in that weather. Having been in Copenhagen so many times that i've stopped counting since many years, i know that when it is cold weather there, it feels REALLY cold.

Looks like everyone traveled to Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg (The home of the Crown Prince Family) when they returned...

Last edited:
Loved the solemnity of the cortège. The royals do ceremonies in the way it should be done. Very moving!

I like how they were more relaxed for yesterday's viewing of the flowers but more sombre for today's occasion. The photo of Margrethe walking in front behind the coffin was saddening to see, indeed. Although she was with her family she still looked so alone - someone was missing.
Nice to see the family all holding hands.

very impressive photos.

The Royal House has put a Video from inside the Church on their facebook

How nice that they shared a video of the inside :flowers:
very moving

another gallery
https://kendte.dk/roert-taarer-kongefamilien-holdt-ceremoni-prins-henrik/?image=1
even with all the pain around, a beautiful smile between Frederik and the Queen
http://imageupper.com/s11/1/6/V1518810353316328_1.jpg

I saw pictures of Christian leaving the church today with tears. He had been so strong throughout the whole events.

and yes I think the youngest ones, Josephine and Athena have been great but they might not fully grasp the situation, which is understandable

Last edited:
The Royal House has put a Video from inside the Church on their facebook

Thank you for posting, Stefan. It was indeed a VERY small and intimate ceremony. I'm sure these were PH's wishes and I'm happy they were fulfilled. Also, I think for the family, too, it must be a relief to mourn far from prying eyes.

(On an aside note, the camera flashes are incredibly bothersome. I understand that it was dark but how many pictures does a reporter need?)

And here is Billed Bladet for this week.
The DRF coverage is almost exclusively about PH.
Deadline was before PH died, so most here is now irrelevant, but there are many lovely photos of the love between QMII and PH, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Also enjoy Josephine and Athena goofing in the group photo in scan #07. :lol:
BB #07, 2018

--------------------------

Was the Family of Prince Henrik also there?

They were supposed to be there.

I guess they were already there with the invited guests when the DRF arrived.

Clips and photos from DR1, if you wish to see some of what happened again: https://www.dr.dk/live/nyheder/live/2744177
The whole coverage will no doubt be uploaded soon.

I noticed that Josephine didn't really understand what was going on, or perhaps rather it hadn't really dawned on her I guess.
Well, she's a child. And a child can't be blamed for being innocent.

I also guess that Josephine, Vincent and Athena didn't have the opportunity to get to know their grandpapa as well and as often as their younger siblings.

ADDED: Clips from TV2, I'm not sure if you can watch those: Tusindvis af danskere fulgte i tavshed Prinsens sidste rejse fra Amalienborg - TV 2

ADDED: A 5 minutes video summary from Billed Bladet: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...familien-i-sorg-ved-christiansborg-slotskirke
The light is very poor though.

ADDED: A gallery from Berlingske: https://www.b.dk/nationalt/se-billederne-prins-henrik-baeres-til-christiansborg-slotskirke#slide-1

And for those of us who are fond of reading Daily Mail: Denmark's Prince Henrik's coffin arrives at palace | Daily Mail Online

More photos from BT: https://www.bt.dk/royale/ventede-helt-alene-kendt-praest-om-dronning-margrethes-optraeden-det-er-saa

I noticed that Josephine didn't really understand what was going on, or perhaps rather it hadn't really dawned on her I guess.
Or Athena. Or Henrik the younger.

I am surprised about the lack of emotions of the DRF showing in public and what a difference between Margrethe and Queen Beatrix when Prince Clause died! I think Beatrix was much more real and authentic!

I was remembering also Prince Claus Funerals.
There was such a strong love between Beatrix and her Sons specially the late Prince Friso , I don't see here. The Frederick's and the Joachim's on the other side

Emotions are internal and we cannot know them. Facial expressions are external and many times hide inner emotion.

I see strength and love of family in their expressions. I am reassured by what I see. :flowers:

I have to kindly disagree. While we haven’t perhaps seen open weeping from the Danish, their grief is still plain to see. Joachim was especially finding it difficult yesterday while viewing the floral tributes

I think Athena's purple coat last night was the one Isabella wore some years ago. Lovely to see the cousins close relationship especially during a very difficult time.

I am surprised about the lack of emotions of the DRF showing in public and what a difference between Margrethe and Queen Beatrix when Prince Clause died! I think Beatrix was much more real and authentic!

What a strange thing to write. Grief comes in many different shapes and sizes, it's not something we're able to control and it is possibly one of the most personal, intimate things we experience in this world – there is no protocol for grieving. Who are you to dictate what is "authentic" grief and what isn't?

gallery of the family leaving the church
https://www.seoghoer.dk/nyheder/kon...ederik-og-christian-i-sorgen#billede-63931-10
Wonderful Mary with her arm around Christian

Canon Salute for Henrik in London

and from U.S. representative Steny Hoyer (who Frederik and Mary met in their U.S. visit in 2016)

Tomorrow, 17 February 2018
The royal family participates in Castrum Doloris. Christiansborg Castle Church, kl. 10.15.
Den kongelige familie deltager i Castrum Doloris | Kongehuset

Just because Margrethe does not sob in public does not mean she does not truly grieve. Some people hide their strongest emotions until they are alone or with a select few. Others are not as introverted with their feelings.

Back
Top Bottom