The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

There will be a government reshuffle tomorrow after two ministers have announced they no longer wish to continue in the Parliament after the next election and as such they resign in order for a new minister to get to know the job before the next election.
That is of course the honorable thing to do.

The ministers are Esben Lunde Larsen, Minister for Environment and Foodstuff - and seriously I think the only one I will offend by calling him the most incompetent minister of the government will be his mother.

And Minister for Education and Research, Søren Pind, who is quite different. He is one of the most outspoken members of the government and not afraid of having and voicing an unpopular opinion. He is a man I sometimes want to buy a beer and at other times want to hit on the head with said beer. But at lest I can respect him.
He feels he has burned out.

It is not yet known who will replace them or whether there will be more replacements. That will be published tomorrow.

These two ministers will write their resignations requesting QMII to accept it. Which she will and at the same time thank them for their service.

Two new (or more perhaps) potential ministers will be presented to QMII withe the request of accepting them as ministers, which she will. And then she will congratulate them.

Later there will be a takeover in the individual ministries, with short speeches and traditionally there will be an exchange of gifts.

- It is IMO likely that Frederik will be present.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the government reshuffle has taken place.

Three ministers left.

One resigned with full honor. Søren Pind.
One was resigned. Esben Lunde.
And one was dismissed, Karen Ellemann, and recommended for the important post a Political Spokesman.

The three new ministers are interesting.
One is very competent, Jacob Ellemann.
One could be very competent, Tommy Ahlers, but I don't know him.
And the third is competent, Eva Kjer, but also controversial at times. But at least she is not afraid of speaking her mind.

Søren Pind, who chose to resign, because he felt he is burned out after 30 years in politics will be a loss for the government. Despite his somewhat, (or because of that) eccentric style, he had a very wide public appeal and being a man who stayed true to his convictions and who wasn't afraid of being controversial and go against the public opinion. That's rare among politicians, so even those who disagreed with him respected him.

Jacob Ellemann is by all accounts a very competent man.
He really ought to have been minister after last government reshuffle, but he was simply too good on his post as Political Spokesman to "be wasted as minister."
The Political Spokesman is the official voice of the party and he speaks directly on behalf of the party leader. But when the party leader is also the Prime Minister, then the Political Spokesman is also the official voice for the government and as such speaks directly for the Prime Minister.
In party political issue the spokesman is a not the chief whip, that's the job of the party Group Chairman - but he is the background holding a cane!

Now his job is vacant. And this is where his sister Karen Ellemann comes in. As mentioned previously she was dismissed as minister today, but the PM recommends that she will the new Political Spokesman - the party is almost certain to follow that recommendation.

But back to Søren Pind for a moment. Being a festive man, he recently proposed that the official minister uniform should be reintroduced. Previously the ministers wore a uniform when dealing officially with the Monarch. But no one has used it for years now. However, Søren Pind was give an okay by the PM to have a uniform made for him. And the entire press corps hoped he would wear it today at the audience with QMII and Frederik. - Alas, that didn't happen. But perhaps later when the handover takes place in the ministry.

Frederik was present at the audiences today.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

To the universal delight of all present, the festive Søren Pind, showed up at the official hand over in the ministry, wearing the official minister uniform: https://imbo2.tv2.dk/users/editorial...683ebe7c9c2e17
https://bdk.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...848388-fwe.jpg

In fact until some ten-fifteen years ago, the government actually had to submit an annual request to QMII for a dispensation for not wearing this uniform.
Then the dispensations was made more or less permanent, but Søren Pind, has lobbied for a long time for reintroducing the uniform when dealing officially with the Monarch.

Being a hardcore-Reaganite, Søren Pind has lobbied hard for a statue of President Reagan to be put up in Copenhagen. However, Copenhagen being a mainly left-wing city, so far without success.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Majesty

thank you Muhler.
Picture with the new ministers
H.M. Dronningen modtager nye ministre | Kongehuset

Frederik arriving, It's puzzling that they do not listen his attendance, when we know he attends.
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018...ec77176b56.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c830609/v8306...i81XWAS53g.jpg

the Queen
https://pp.userapi.com/c830708/v8307...87CtMow0Nw.jpg
Old 05-03-2018, 01:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Frederik arriving, It's puzzling that they do not listen his attendance, when we know he attends.
https://images.scribblelive.com/2018...ec77176b56.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c830609/v8306...i81XWAS53g.jpg
He isn't mentioned attending here either.
H.M. Dronningen modtager nye ministre | Kongehuset

Why not just add a "The Crown Prince also attended" ?, or something...
Old 05-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
To the universal delight of all present, the festive Søren Pind, showed up at the official hand over in the ministry, wearing the official minister uniform: https://imbo2.tv2.dk/users/editorial...683ebe7c9c2e17
https://bdk.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...848388-fwe.jpg

In fact until some ten-fifteen years ago, the government actually had to submit an annual request to QMII for a dispensation for not wearing this uniform.
Then the dispensations was made more or less permanent, but Søren Pind, has lobbied for a long time for reintroducing the uniform when dealing officially with the Monarch.

Being a hardcore-Reaganite, Søren Pind has lobbied hard for a statue of President Reagan to be put up in Copenhagen. However, Copenhagen being a mainly left-wing city, so far without success.
Dear Muhler! I love the uniform and am not surprised the Reagan statue was not supported in Copenhagen; is the ex-minister allowed to wear the uniform now that he has resigned? Such a pity otherwise On the other hand, maybe he, M. Pind, will have a statue with uniform, of course
Old 05-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Dear Muhler! I love the uniform and am not surprised the Reagan statue was not supported in Copenhagen; is the ex-minister allowed to wear the uniform now that he has resigned? Such a pity otherwise On the other hand, maybe he, M. Pind, will have a statue with uniform, of course
He would absolutely love a statue of himself, in minister uniform that is!
And oddly enough I think the the general public would appreciate the humor. So he would actually get away with it, I think.

Alas, that uniform was for serving ministers. And since he has retired from politics, that uniform is consigned to the closet.
Søren Pind actually thanked QMII, for the honor of being allowed to serve as minister. And again, the odd thing is that it did not sound corny, because people know that he genuinely means it.

We have lost a remarkable politician. Whether you like him or not, a politician with convictions is not that common.

And a little update: Karen Ellemann did not get the job as the party spokesman, and as such one of the most highly profiled positions in DK politics. That went to another woman. Instead she got the job as group chairman, which is roughly equivalent to being the chief whip.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Today the PM has called a general election to be held on 5th June - on Constitution Day.

What happened was that the PM sought an audience with QMII and requested her approval for the government formally resigning, but staying in place as a business ministry, due to a general election to be held on the 5th June in accordance with the Constitution - that says that there cannot be more than four years between a general election. That deadline for this election was next month.
QMII has naturally formally approved the request.

And now we are in for four weeks of politics 24/7! Because we also have the EUP election.
Four weeks is actually pretty long time for a general election. Three weeks is more usual.
I fear for not only my bloodpressure and for my ears falling up but also very much for my sanity!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Today the PM has called a general election to be held on 5th June - on Constitution Day.

What happened was that the PM sought an audience with QMII and requested her approval for the government formally resigning, but staying in place as a business ministry, due to a general election to be held on the 5th June in accordance with the Constitution - that says that there cannot be more than four years between a general election. That deadline for this election was next month.
QMII has naturally formally approved the request.

And now we are in for four weeks of politics 24/7! Because we also have the EUP election.
Four weeks is actually pretty long time for a general election. Three weeks is more usual.
I fear for not only my bloodpressure and for my ears falling up but also very much for my sanity!

Couldn't the European elections and the general election be held on the same day ? Then it would be a three-week GE campaign.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Couldn't the European elections and the general election be held on the same day ? Then it would be a three-week GE campaign.
They can and it was speculated that they would be.

But the PM has decided to separate the two elections, otherwise the EUP election would be overshadowed by the national general election. And the government coalition, especially the PM's party, have a number of EUP candidates who would very much like some media attention!
Old 05-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Nobility

I fear for not only my bloodpressure and for my ears falling up but also very much for my sanity![/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 3 weeks? Here in the US, it's almost nonstop! Our current president filed for re-election on the day he was inaugurated. As for your blood pressure and sanity, I can relate! Take care.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

With 29 days to the election this is going to the be longest campaign period since 1976.
There are currently nine parties in the Parliament, thirteen parties can run for Parliament. (A new party requires a number of verified signatures from adult Danish citizens in order to be eligible for Parliament.)

The election drums have been beating over the horizon for months now, but now it's election, election, election for full throttle. Not least in regards to the party leaders, who will be here there and everywhere. Especially on TV.

One of the parties running is downright xenophobic and there is little doubt that it is openly racist as well - certainly in regards to Muslims. In that regard it follows a general trend not only in Europe, but worldwide, but that's another topic.
That party, as well as the party leader, will be covered and represented in the media on equal terms with the other parties and party leaders. And I believe that is not only wise but right.
The best way to stand up against the brown shirts is to hear what they have to say. To ask questions of them. The more they talk, the worse for them - in the long run.
I actually believe the party will end up in the Parliament after the election. (As a protest from a not insignificant segment of the population, who for various reasons have issues with immigration.) But the party will only be there for one period. Of that I'm convinced. It's a one-issue party and such parties don't live long. We've seen that before.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The issues during this election can be boiled down to three issues:

Retirement.
The retirement age in DK is currently among the highest, if not the highest in Europe. For me it's 68.
Someone aged 18 today can be expected to remain on the workplace until 74 (probably longer) and very understandably there is a considerable concern among many people, not least those who have or have had a physically demanding job, that they will even make it until retirement age. Not all have the option or the abilities to find a job that is less physically demanding.
So the politicians are trying to come up with all sorts of ad hoc solutions to address the problem of the many who are being worn out before retirement age.
And how do we afford to take care of those who are worn out before time?

Immigration.
The all time classic since 2000.
How do we deal with the arguably serious problems with lacking integration. How do we reduce the number of people who are difficult to integrate or difficult to employ and how do we kick out those who are criminals or idlers.
How do we attract those qualified foreigners we want and need?
Eastern Europeans are now settling in very considerable numbers in DK, with all intentions of being integrated. (The education system is major attraction, but also the informal interaction on Danish workplaces between leadership and employees is attractive.) How do we avoid these people from being hurt as a consequence of, shall we say, "motivating legislation" aimed at those who don't want to integrate?
Since the majority of the parties have a policy that is "hard on immigration" there is a lot of competition in this area!

The third issue is climate and what to do in order to make DK even more ecologically sustainable.
In short: How can DK contribute in saving the planet for our grandchildren?

All other issues are basically secondary.

The DRF and all serious talk about a republic is not even on the table.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Today is Constitution Day here in DK. It is also the day we vote in the general election. - Four weeks of politics and even more politics are over.
One more week and I swear the PM would promise those voting on him to personally come to wash our kitchen floors once a week!

I have absolutely no idea of the outcome and who will be the next PM. No idea at all.
The leader of the opposition, the Social Democrat, Mette Frederik, is set to win. But her allies to left, are the kind of allies where you don't need enemies!

The current, Liberal, PM Lars Løkke might actually end up remaining in office, because the opposition can't even agree on what color red is.
On the other hand, two new parties, that may be voted in, are the kind no PM can touch with a sanitized barge-pole.

So the likely outcome is a minority center-government. Dependent on the votes of a couple of center-parties who will demand a very high and pretty unpalatable price for supporting the government. No matter whether it will be a center-left or a center-right government.

I predict it will take days before we are even sure of who will become the next PM.

Since the result is so murky, it is more than likely the current PM will go to QMII and advise her to call a Queen-round. Where each of the party-leaders in an audience with QMII will point to the person they believe should head the next government. - However, since several of them have pledged to point to themselves, that is hardly leading anywhere!
So QMII will have to appoint a Royal Investigator. That is likely to be the head of the two parties with the serious candidates for a PM, that has had the best election. Either the Liberals, the PM's party. Or IMO more likely the leader of the Social Democrats, Mette Frederiksen.
She will then start negotiations in order to see if there is a possibility for her to form a government.
In other words will there be enough votes for her, to form a working government?
Can she form a coalition government?
If she forms a minority government will there be majority of votes against her?
Will it be possible for her to form a minority government, promising to work with her opposition in enough key issues that they will not attempt to topple her?
And all that is likely to take time!
Once (most likely) Mette Frederiksen has finished negotiations, she will seek an audience with QMII informing her that
A) She is able to form a government. In which case QMII will request her to do so.
B) She is unable to form a government. In which case QMII is likely to appoint a new Royal Investigator. Most likely the acting PM, Lars Løkke, to see if he can form a government instead.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Queen's round...

Very interesting! So, the Monarch of Denmark is still personally involved into the process of forming a new government?

Plus this thingy with the Royal Investigator! Looks like her summer vacation isa already coming to an end.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, QMII has a direct constitutional, albeit formal, role.

The first exit-pol is out.

The Social Democrat leader, Mette Frederiksen, is most likely to form a new government. And become the second (and no doubt way more qualified than the previous) female PM in Danish history. On paper she already has a majority in her favor - but and that is a big but - the prize demanded by at least two supporting parties may be too high.
So as I see it she is forced to work with the opposition, otherwise this will be a one period government and she personally will be politically history after the next general election.
Also, because even though the opposition seems to have won today, the Social Democrats themselves have actually gone slightly back. If she has to swallow too many political camels, the Social Democrats will face a disaster at the next general election.

The current PM is probably political history after this election. He has spoken in friendly tones about EU, so perhaps he will be shipped off to the European Parliament in five years, along with other political has-beens.
But it sure will be different to separate from his ministerial chair! He has used used very strong glue to remain sitting...

The two new and I don't hesitate to call them xenophobic parties are just on the edge of getting in. 2 % of the votes are required for a party to be represented in the Parliament. So that will be interesting.

The most dramatic result tonight is the massacre of Danish Peoples Party. It has been said, and only half jokingly, that they constituted the actual government with the government as support for most of the past nineteen years.
They have been punished by their voters for not being able to pressure the government into having an even tougher stance than they already have in regards to immigration and integration. DK has one of the toughest legislation in Europe in that regards as is.
Also, they missed one of the main topics of this general election, climate changes. They were unprepared for this.
At the same time two extreme parties went to election with even tougher stance on immigration than the Danish Peoples Party and that took away voters.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Update.

With a little more than 50 % of the votes counted, it is now in my estimation 90 % certain the leader of the Social Democrats, Mette Frederiksen, will be the new PM.
Or perhaps more correctly, she will be the Royal Investigator, tasked with finding the basis of a new coalition government.
It may actually very well end up with the Social Democrats forming a one party minority government, perhaps in coalition with their allies to the immediate right, Socialist Peoples Party.
The reason is that even though she almost have a total majority behind her, she will be totally dependent of a center party, the Radials, who had a great election.
The problem is that the Radicals have an economic policy that goes totally against the rest of the socialist wing and an immigration policy which goes against what a majority of the population wants. The rest of the parties of the parties on the left hate their guts!
To make it even worse the Radicals have a tendency to say: Our way or no way, and mean it!

And if they don't get their way with Mette Federiksen. I.e. making her accept and implement almost everything the Radicals want, they will have no qualms whatsoever in pointing to the (still) current PM, Lars Løkke. He has been willing to ditch everybody and everything in order to stay in power, during this election, so he is likely to accept and form a minority government with the Radicals and the Conservatives. That it may cost that government coalition dearly at the next election, that's a problem four years away. As sais before he is glued tightly to his seat!

So the outcome of this is by no means given!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

At 11.00 the PM went to QMII to formally announce the resignation of the government. The government will continue as a business ministry until a new government takes over.

From 14.00 the various parties represented in the Parliament have in turn been to an audience with QMII. Each party will point to the person they believe should head a new government.
Most will point to the leader of the Social Democrats, Mette Frederiksen.

QMII will then appoint Mette Frederiksen as Royal Investigator, with the task of trying to form a new government.
And then the difficult negotiations will start!

---------

ADDED.

Frederik was present at the audiences today.

That is in line with the impression I have of Frederik now running the court on a day to day basis - of course still with QMII having the final say.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:21 AM
Majesty

Thank you Muhler.

More info on the audiences today attended by the Queen and Crown Prince
Regeringsdannelse i Danmark | Kongehuset

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-mor-paa-job-0

on the calendar
The Queen receives the Prime Minister. HRH The Crown Prince is also present. Christian IX Palace, Amalienborg
6. June 2019, 5:15 pm
HM The Queen receives the leader of The Social Democratic Party Mette Frederiksen.
HRH The Crown Prince is also present.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Majesty

We dont get pictures from inside but here is Frederik arriving to the audiences
https://external.faep22-1.fna.fbcdn....Dy-If2zXeGIvaN
https://ekstrabladet.dk/incoming/lkx...20190606180800

Tags
margrethe, margrethe ii, queen margrethe