Audiences with Margrethe & the Political Role of the Danish Monarch: 2004 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: :p

Okay, QMII the okayed forming of a one party government and in ten minutes the new ministers will be presented to QMII at Amalienborg and shortly after they will appear for the traditional photoshoot down at Amalienborg Square.

The formal hand-over will take place in the various ministries tomorrow.

However, the former government will also go to Amalienborg where QMII will thank them for their service offer a cookie and a little refreshment and say goodbye.

So now she can finally enjoy her holiday. We should have a blistering hot weather next weekend.

- Looking at the list of ministers it's no surprise to learn that the vast majority are hardened experienced politicians.
But is sure is interesting that the second chairman of the party, Kristian Jensen, has become Foreign Ministers because that means he will more or less out of touch of what happens on a day-to-day basis within the party - but perhaps that's the idea...
Also interesting that the popular Søren Gade has not become minister, but rather a kind of chief whip. Well, at least that won't taint him because this government will inevitable swallow lots of camels! So he may become a serious contestant as chairman against the second chairman, once Lars Løkke (the current chairman and PM) step down or is being stepped down.

ADDED: Frederik was present.

Last edited:
Apparently it was Frederik who gave the short official thank you speech to the former government, when they went to Amalienborg today to say goodbye to the Monarch.

Even though QMII was present it is yet one more indication that a gradual transition is taking place. - And it's nice touch towards Frederik from his mother.

Apparently it was Frederik who gave the short official thank you speech to the former government, when they went to Amalienborg today to say goodbye to the Monarch.

Even though QMII was present it is yet one more indication that a gradual transition is taking place. - And it's nice touch towards Frederik from his mother.

Thanks Muhler,

Yes (as we also saw in the tv-portraits and read in the interviews at Margrethe's 75th birthday) Frederik and Margrethe cooperate very close these years. Now it's not just Frederik who learn from Margrethe, but just as much the other way - advice is now offered both ways.

In relation to cooperation with the Ministers we usually see the Minister for Trade and Development. One that most Frederik and Mary works closely with in relation to their work. Especially Mary.

I see we do not have such one in the new government? Those areas are guaranteed merged under the foreign minister, Kristian Jensen. A sympathetic man by the way.

This is great to read :flowers:
but i wonder why its so difficult for the court to write one sentence, indicating that Frederik was present?

We have seen Frederik and Mary take over more and more, especially during official visits...

Lovely to hear that Frederik gave a speech to the departing government. Both he and Mary seem to have enjoyed great relationships with several of the now former ministers – Frederik perhaps particularly with PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt and Mary, in light of her great efforts in developing countries, with two of the former ministers for Development Cooperation, Christian Friis Bach and Mogens Jensen.

but i wonder why its so difficult for the court to write one sentence, indicating that Frederik was present?

Oh, but that would demand an actual effort from the court's side so I wouldn't count on that happening :nonono: :p I've said it before and I'll say it again, kongehuset.dk needs much better web management – I wonder when they'll realise that.

:previous: Agree, these were two ministers who will be missed.

Wrapping up the coverage of this general election I thought I would tell you a little about the official handovers that took place at the various ministries today.
The formal change of government took place yesterday with QMII's approving of the new government, followed by her receiving the now relieved business ministers at a farewell audience. - So that Denmark is never without a government.

However, a long standing tradition in the ministries, no matter whether it's a change of government or a government reshuffle, is that the new and the relieved minister present each other with little gifts.
These gift are invariable humorous and a little taunting as well.

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/485/9/9485283-ministerieoverdragelse2015.jpg
In this picture the former PM, Helle Thorning, presented the new PM, Lars Løkke, with a set of clothes in the EU pattern with an admonishment that he should wear it once a month reminding himself of the policy of being an integral part of EU.
That is a reference to Lars Løkke about not being too influenced by the Danish People's Party who want less EU.
But it's also a little teasing poking of one of the reasons why Lars Løkke had such a bad person election (his personal votes were halved!). That is that he needed subsidies to finance him buying new clothes... (True!).

In return, Lars Løkke gave Helle Thorning, tickets for her and her family to a concert, complete with a selfie-stick.

- Various political commentators have said that the two of them can't stand each other.

However, that is far from common between all the other politicians who have exchanged posts today and they also presented each other with all sorts of weird presents.
I believe the new Minster of Justice got a sheriff's star. :lol:
http://jyllands-posten.dk/politik/ECE7837568/Søren-Pind-fik-sin-sherifstjerne/

Or here at the Ministry for Interior, where the relieved minister got a beach set, as he would surely need a long - very long - holiday...
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/485/9/9485271-ministeroverdragelse2015.jpg

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #27, 2015.
Written by John Lautrup.

Who has been talking to the former PM, Helle Thorning and the present PM, Lars Løkke, about the audiences with QMII in connection with the change of government. And this is what they had to say:

Helle Thorning met QMII to say good bye as PM: "It sure was a little sad but that's how it is.
There was a super fine mood as there always is when we are with Her Majesty. She said thank you for the co-operation and I thanked her on behalf of the former government for a really good co-operation with the DRF.
The government and the DRF perform many tasks together and that just works super well. It's professional but also always cozy".

Lars Løkke said: "I had a really good experience in presenting my new government for the Queen and as in all other interactions between the government and the DRF there was a good balance between something formal - because behind it all it is serious - and comfortable laid back.
It is not up to me to describe the chemistry between myself and the Queen. I think we have a very competent royal house and I have always had a good co-operation with the Queen.
And then I have noticed that we have a Crown Prince who in an ever increasing rate is taking an active part and who has also done so by the side of the Queen during this entire course around forming a new government".

thank you for keeping us all informed. Interesting to learn.
Nice to read that about Crown prince Frederik and his ever increasing role

Mit møde med majestæten - Aarhus

I love to learn about how things work behind the scenes.
In this case a Gerda Rasmussen has given a very detailed account on what took place when she went to a public audience with QMII.
She had previously been send an order for 48 years of employment with the newspaper Jyllands Posten.
And as tradition dictates as soon as convenient you go to a public audience with the Queen to thank her for the order.

And this is indeed what Gerda did this month.

She arrived at Christiansborg, the seat of Parliament, but also where a number of royal representation chambers are located.
The appropriate gate (The King's Gate) two sentries were standing outside.
Gerda went in and was received by a women, who welcomed her and told her to walk up a staircase.
At the top of the stairs two more sentries were standing guard. She walked in between them and into a large hall, where she was welcomed by another lady.
As you can tell from the picture Gerda is somewhat obese, so she needed a rest from walking up the stairs. The women fetched her a glass of water and told her to take her time to catch her breath and then approach the women again when she had recovered.

When Gerda had recovered, the women showed her into another large hall, where she was welcomed by a man who informed her to approach a table behind which four adjutants were standing.
Here she was welcomed by an adjutant who looked up her files in a briefcase and asked her to confirm a number of questions. (I find it interesting that the details he gave were wrong and the Gerda had to correct them. A neat little security check?)
Gerda was then asked to take a seat and wait.

The hall Gerda was waiting in was lined with chairs along the walls and there were some 70-80 people who were waiting for an audience that day.
Gerda waited for about an hour and a half and she noticed that no one called out names, instead an adjutant approached the person in question and quietly asked that person to follow.
Gerda learned afterwards that the adjutants had noted particular physical characteristics or manners of dress (some they would also know by name) in order to recognize the person from the 80 others present.

Then an adjutant approached her, said her name and asked her to come with him.
She was lead to another room, where a man welcomed her and briefed her in what to do. He told her to be herself, this was after all about having a good experience and she could talk about what she wanted. He suggested her to curtsy and not to worry about the door behind her when she walked in, someone would close it after her.

Then she was shown in and before her seated in a couch was QMII. (Beforehand QMII was standing, but she is getting older and her back troubles her).
Gerda did her curtsy and walked up to shake QMII's hand. Gerda wearing the traditional white gloves.
Gerda thanked QMII for the order and QMII replied. "You er welcome".
QMII started out by telling Gerda how impressed she was that she had worked the same place for 48 years and how much everything must have changed over the years. - That opened up Gerda who told QMII about this and that in regards to her work.
Until QMII stretched her hand forward, said congratulations to Gerda and wished her a nice trip home. That being the sign for the audience to end.

Gerda was really supposed to have curtsied again, but forgot and instead she turned around before the door and waved to QMII, who smiled back.

On the way out one of the adjutants asked her whether it had been a good experience. It had!

And that was that public audience for an ordinary Dane.

Last edited:
Mit møde med majestæten - Aarhus

I love to learn about how things work behind the scenes.
In this case a Gerda Rasmussen has given a very detailed account on what took place when she went to a public audience with QMII.
She had previously been send an order for 48 years of employment with the newspaper Jyllands Posten.
And as tradition dictates as soon as convenient you go to a public audience with the Queen to thank her for the order.

And this is indeed what Gerda did this month.

She arrived at Christiansborg, the seat of Parliament, but also where a number of royal representation chambers are located.
The appropriate (The King's Gate) two sentries were standing outside.
Gerda went in and was received by a women, who welcomed her and told her talk walk up a staircase.
At the top of the stairs two more sentries were standing guard. She walked in between them and into a large hall, where she welcomed by another lady.
As you can tell from the picture Gerda is somewhat obese, so she needed a rest from walking up the stairs. The women fetched her a glass of water and told her to take her time to catch her breath and them approach the women again when she was recovered.

When Gerda had recovered, the women showed her into another large hall, where she was welcomed by a man who informed to approach a table behind which four adjutants were standing.
Here she was welcomed by an adjutant who looked up her files in a breif case and asked her to confirm a number of questions. (I find it interesting that the details he gave were wrong and the Gerda had to correct them. A neat little security check?)
Gerda was then asked to take a seat and wait.

The hall Gerda was waiting in was lined with chairs along the wall and there were some 70-80 people who were waiting for an audience that day.
Gerda waited for about an hour and a half and she noticed that no one called out names, instead an adjutant approached the person in question and quietly asked that person to follow.
Gerda learned afterwards that the adjutants had noted particular physical characteristics or manners of dress (some they would also know by name) in order to recognize the person from the 80 others present.

Then an adjutant approached her, said her name and asked her to come with him.
She was lead to another room, where a man welcomed her and briefed her in what to do. He told her to be herself, this was after all about having a good experience and she could talk about what she wanted. He suggested her to curtsy and not to worry about the door behind her when she walked in, someone would close it after her.

The she was led in and before her seated in a couch was QMII. (Beforehand QMII was standing, but she is getting older and her back troubles her).
Gerda did her curtsy and walked up to shake QMII's hand. Gerda wearing the traditional white gloves.
QMII started out by telling Gerda how impressed she was that she had worked the same place for 48 years and how much everything must have changed over the years. - That opened up Gerda who told QMII about this and that in regards to her work.
Until QMII stretched her hand forward, said congratulations to Gerda and wished her a nice trip home. That being the sign for the audience to end.

Gerda was really supposed to have curtsied again, but forgot and instead she turned around before the door and waved to QMII, who smiled back.

On the way out one of the adjutants asked her whether it had been a good experience. It had!

And that was that public audience for an ordinary Dane.

What a wonderful experience!

thank you for including this Muhler.
Nice to read the details behind the scenes. :flowers:

Well, the first minister in the newly elected government has resigned today. That's almost a record! What is it? Three months?

It's the Minister for Defense, Carl Holst, who is resigning. And the less said about him, the better...

Anyway, since Joachim is Rigsforstander and a new minister must be expected to take office very shortly, I guess he will for once have to accept the resignation of Carl Holst and accept the new minister, whoever that may be.
I don't think Joachim has done that before.

After all I don't think this is important enough for QMII to rush home.

Well, the first minister in the newly elected government has resigned today. That's almost a record! What is it? Three months?

It's the Minister for Defense, Carl Holst, who is resigning. And the less said about him, the better...

Anyway, since Joachim is Rigsforstander and a new minister must be expected to take office very shortly, I guess he will for once have to accept the resignation of Carl Holst and accept the new minister, whoever that may be.
I don't think Joachim has done that before.

After all I don't think this is important enough for QMII to rush home.

Where is the Queen: if she is in France perhaps not, but if she is bored 'east west home is best':ROFLMAO:

:previous: I think I read somewhere the Regent Couple is in France, but not sure.

BTW the new Minister for Defence will go to audience at Amalienborg at 11.00 today, and be received by whomever holds the fort. Joachim?

BB confirms that Joachim will be the one receiving the new minister today at 11.00: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-modtager-den-nye-minister

I can well imagine QMII after receiving a call about the new minister turning to PH: "You know what, Henri? They are going to have a new Defence Minister tomorrow! Would you believe it?!?
The former government changed ministers more often than I changed shoes, the new government ain't no better!
I can hardly leave the palace for one day without a major government reshuffle! I'm beginning to suffer from chronic jetlag from shuttling back an forth to receive ministers and ex-ministers!
But that's it! This time I'm staying right here! The ministers can stand in the rain outside Amalienborg for all I care - that'll teach 'em"!

ADDED: Here is Joachim and the soon former Minister for Defense, Carl Holst: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/823/10/620x411-c/10823146-til-scanpix.jpg

Last edited:
:previous: I think I read somewhere the Regent Couple is in France, but not sure.

BTW the new Minister for Defence will go to audience at Amalienborg at 11.00 today, and be received by whomever holds the fort. Joachim?

BB confirms that Joachim will be the one receiving the new minister today at 11.00: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-modtager-den-nye-minister

I can well imagine QMII after receiving a call about the new minister turning to PH: "You know what, Henri? They are going to have a new Defence Minister tomorrow! Would you believe it?!?
The former government changed ministers more often than I changed shoes, the new government ain't no better!
I can hardly leave the palace for one day without a major government reshuffle! I'm beginning to suffer from chronic jetlag from shuttling back an forth to receive ministers and ex-ministers!
But that's it! This time I'm staying right here! The ministers can stand in the rain outside Amalienborg for all I care - that'll teach 'em"!

ADDED: Here is Joachim and the soon former Minister for Defense, Carl Holst: http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/823/10/620x411-c/10823146-til-scanpix.jpg

Wasn't there a funny drawing where the Queen was saying something like "You? Again?" when Helle came shuffling around with yet another new minister?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Tomorrow there will be a referendum here in DK in regards to EU.

Now, please bear with me, this is complicated stuff and even more complicated when trying to explain in English.

For a number of years DK has had a number of reservations in regards to a lot of administrative, especially judicial, agreements that works when dealing between EU countries. Like in divorce settlements, business disputes and so on. Instead we have had agreements with the individual countries or have had to settle in court about where and how to deal with such matters.
The proposal from the Parliament is that we leave the details as to how to work out the details in such matters which will in the future apply to the whole EU, to the EU Parliament. - It will then be up to the Danish Parliament to decide which DK will adhere to. I.e. a kind of joining on a volunteer basis.

So far so good. That makes sense when you glance at the proposal.

However, that means that we the voters will in the future leave all decisions in regards to having over Danish sovereignty to EU in these issues to a majority in the Parliament. I.e. they no longer have to put up the individual items for a general referendum as the Constitution demands. It will now become an administrative question.

There is currently a majority in the Parliament for leaving such future decisions in the hands of the politicians rather than having a lot of referendums.
And this is where the trouble starts!
Because there is considerably more skepticism in the general population towards EU than there is in the Parliament and the opinion-elite.

So the question is very much an issue of trust. Do we, the voters, trust our current and future politicians to follow what a majority in the population prefer? Especially given that DK politicians are very rarely voted in on their stance on EU.
The skeptics say: No! - No, we don't trust the politicians. If the question of having the Euro as currency in DK would have been up to the politicians, we would have had the Euro and not the Krone as currency now - and our economy would have been worse for it.

The yes side has IMO made a big mistake in trying to make the referendum about our membership of Europol. Europol is the EU-variant of Interpol, just with considerably more value for European countries.
They have claimed that if it's a no tomorrow, we will be kicked out of Europol and bandits and pedophiles from all over the world, not to mention Martians, will congregate on little DK and snatch us from our beds.
Nonsense! Says the no side. Norway and Switzerland have agreements with Europol. They don't have influence but these countries haven't become lawless and no one in Europe are the least bit interested in keeping DK out of Europol.

Okay, what about the other items then? It's complicated, but there are clear benefits in saying yes, rather than staying outside, says the yes-side.
Yeah, but how are these rules to be enforced? Will it be a better or worse deal than we have now? It's a bit murky. Says the no side. - Basically no one knows. Because no one can see into the future and foresee with certainly what rules will end up being implemented.

How about the common EU-policy on asylum and immigrants? You say there is a political agreement in the Parliament in keeping DK out of that one. But can we trust you? There is nothing written down. You, and future MP's are free to vote in joining the common asylum policy.
How insulting! Responds the yes side. Of course you can trust us. We've given our word.
ADDED: As this was written the PM said that DK risk becoming a magnet for refugees/immigrants. - Nonsense, responds the no-side. That's last moment scare-tactics.

But, says the no side, why do we even need more EU now? EU isn't doing too well at the moment! Schengen is breaking down. And the monetary union? The less said about that the better! And look at the Brits. They might leave!
Get real! Says the yes-side. We can't do without EU. EU has to be able to compete with USA and China and later on India and Brazil, otherwise we are screwed economically. That's the future. You may not like it, but that's the way it is!

- So now you should have a little idea about what's going on here in DK. :p

This doesn't involve the DRF directly. The Monarch still has to sign all laws here in DK, even if they are copied from EU.

But, if the vote tomorrow is a yes, the politicians are actually given free hands. They can completely disregard the populations in a number of decisions. It may cost them their seat at the next election, but by then there is no turning back if a law from EU has been passed and implemented. There is no clause of regret unless we leave EU altogether.
So even if 100.000 people stand outside the Parliament every single day in protest, the politicians can switch off their hearing aide and vote as they see fit.
The last hurdle is the Monarch. QMII can in theory refuse to sign. And thus adhere to the will of the people.

- I think resident Danes can deduce what my vote will be tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:
:previous:

Does the Queen actually have veto rights or is her signing just a formality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Queen actually have veto rights or is her signing just a formality?

In principle she is not supposed to have, let alone exercise her political opinion.
In theory she could veto a bill be refusing to sign. It would lead to a constitutional crisis, but the possibility is there.

The example I mentioned was of course extreme. Perhaps...
If the politicians alone get the power to select rules and regulations passed in the EU Parliament, without having to ask the voters.
Then they can go against the will of the people, because very few people follow the details about how EU regulations are administratively implemented in DK. The press sure don't!

That means that the politicians can quietly select and implement regulations that goes directly against the wishes of the population, or just as bad, due to negligence or simply because they don't understand it either, select something that turns out not to be to the best of the majority of population. - But no one really notice anything until it's too late.

The parties against all this will protest all right, but if we vote yes tomorrow, it's what a majority in the Parliament is in favor off that goes, not necessarily the will of the people. - Because we elected them, remember...

That's an awful lot of responsibility to place in the hands of 179 people, who are not shall we say universally competent.
It will also mean that the distance between lawmakers and ordinary people will be increased and just as bad, that ordinary people's interest and feeling of their vote mattering will diminish too.
With regular referendums the politicians at least share the burden with the voters and that means the voters are responsible too and that's important IMO.
It is of course annoying when the voters don't vote the way they are supposed to do. But that's democracy for you.

As one no-voter asked a politician who advocate no tomorrow: If we leave the decision making in regards to laws and regulation to the EU-Parliament. What do we need you (the national DK Parliament) for?

Last edited:
In the Netherlands, royal decrees appointing a new prime minister are countersigned by the incoming prime minister himself. In Belgium, it seems that they are signed by the outgoing prime minister instead. In Spain, it is the speaker of the Congress of Deputies who countersigns royal decrees appointing a new prime minister. How does it work in Denmark ? Does the Queen appoint the PM alone with no countersignature or does anybody have to ratify the appointment as in other monarchies ?

Well, after a general election. The Queen usually appoint a Royal Investigator, based on who a majority of the individual party-leaders recommend.

The Royal Investigator then probes the possibilities for forming a government - usually with himself as the leader.
The Royal Investigator then returns to the Queen and inform her that he now has a majority for forming a government. Again usually with himself as the PM.
The Queen then formally request him to form a government.

The Royal Investigator returns with the persons he wish to form a government with, requesting her approval. Of course the Queen know in advance who is coming.
The Queen approves the future ministers with her signature and at the same time they are presented to her - after all it's her they are working for and all the authority they have is in her name.

The ministers now go to the individual ministries where they have a little ceremony and formally take over, also by signing a paper. That is to ensure that it is always clear who is running what at any given time. And from that moment the new government ministers are in office - and that also applies to the PM.

Alternatively, if after a general election the government is still in majority, the majority of the party-leaders will simply point to the acting PM. Who will then inform the Queen that the government has a majority to continue and the Queen approves with her signature, for the records. But unless there is a government reshuffle there is no formal take-over at the ministries.

Last edited:
Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #45, 2016.

Where a Kalle Jacobsen asks that since QMII as the Monarch is the Commander-in-Chief, and as such also the military intelligence agency FET. Is she as such also the head of PET (the police intelligence service)?

Jon Bloch Skipper responds yes and no.
PET is under the Ministry of Justice, just like the rest of the police.
All government, regional and municipal authority in DK is in the name of the Monarch, legitimized by the signature of the Monarch (or Regent of Rigsforstander).
So technically she is head of PET, since they act in her name, but in reality PET is administered by the government, I.e. the Minister of Justice.
So QMII can't call the head of PET and order something.

Tomorrow Monday, a new government will be presented outside Amalienborg.

The current one-party government will be expanded with two more parties. The PM hopes this will help the right side of the Parliament to better co-operate. (And keep him in power...). - But it still takes at least 90 seats to have a majority and that is not the case. The new government will remain a minority-government. - And from a personal view I fear it will be a government with a pretty asocial politics if they had the had the majority to do what they want. So at the next general election I cannot see myself vote Liberal (the PM's party) as I have for many years. Not with that constellation of parties! Being Liberal IMO doesn't mean you have to kick the poor, sick and unfortunate.

Anyway, what happens is that the PM, Lars Løkke, tomorrow go to QMII and request she accept the resignation of the current government and at the same time he will inform her that he has not got a majority in the Parliament against him forming a new government, with him as PM (*). As such he will request that she accept a new government with him continuing as PM. - QMII will naturally accept.
Then the PM will present her with a new list of ministers and ask for QMII's approval. She will accept.
The ministers who are to leave their offices will later go to QMII and offer their resignation. Which she will accept and at the same time thank them for their service.
Then the new ministers will go to QMII and request that she approve of them. That QMII will do.

The new government will then be officially presented in front of Amalienborg. Then the formal handing over will take place in the various ministries in the hours to follow. And by mid-afternoon tomorrow we will have a new functioning government in DK.

(*) A government need not have a majority of seats voting for the government.
It only needs a majority of seats in the Parliament not voting against it.
Needless to say that it is much easier to govern if you have a majority of seats, but many if not most Danish governments have been minority governments, which means they often have had to work with the opposition.

Last edited:
Tomorrow Monday, a new government will be presented outside Amalienborg.

The current one-party government will be expanded with two more parties. The PM hopes this will help the right side of the Parliament to better co-operate. (And keep him in power...). - But it still takes at least 90 seats to have a majority and that is not the case. The new government will remain a minority-government. - And from a personal view I fear it will be a government with a pretty asocial politics if they had the had the majority to do what they want. So at the next general election I cannot see myself vote Liberal (the PM's party) as I have for many years. Not with that constellation of parties! Being Liberal IMO doesn't mean you have to kick the poor, sick and unfortunate.

Anyway, what happens is that the PM, Lars Løkke, tomorrow go to QMII and request she accept the resignation of the current government and at the same time he will inform her that he has not got a majority in the Parliament against him forming a new government, with him as PM (*). As such he will request that she accept a new government with him continuing as PM. - QMII will naturally accept.
Then the PM will present her with a new list of ministers and ask for QMII's approval. She will accept.
The ministers who are to leave their offices will later go to QMII and offer their resignation. Which she will accept and at the same time thank them for their service.
Then the new ministers will go to QMII and request that she approve of them. That QMII will do.

The new government will then be officially presented in front of Amalienborg. Then the formal handing over will take place in the various ministries in the hours to follow. And by mid-afternoon tomorrow we will have a new functioning government in DK.

(*) A government need not have a majority of seats voting for the government.
It only needs a majority of seats in the Parliament not voting against it.
Needless to say that it is much easier to govern if you have a majority of seats, but many if not most Danish governments have been minority governments, which means they often have had to work with the opposition.

Thanks for this note, as always, Muhler! I shall look forward to further developments in this interesting period in Danish political history!:flowers::flowers:

Thanks, polyesco. :flowers:

Yes, now the PM, Lars Løkke, has ensured he can sit in his chair for at least one more year. - But at a very high prize for one of the coalition parties! Liberal Alliance. They just haven't realized it yet... :D

Well, I won't shed a tear seeing that party going into a complete meltdown. A more apt name for that party would IMO be Selfish Alliance.
But at least the biggest, shall we say, empathy-challenged person in that party, Joachim B Olsen, didn't get a post. :D - Perhaps he was thought too inept or more likely the opposition and the support party, the Danish People's Party, would have crucified him at the first opportunity and otherwise refused to co-operate with the government.

The government now holds 53 seats and they need 90 seats to accomplish anything and that means they are totally dependent on the largest opposition party, the Social Democrats or the largest "right wing" support party, the Danish People's Party. That'll cost! - Especially since these two parties basically share more or less the same views on a large number of key issues. (*)
But the PM can remain in his chair for a little while yet - and that is all that matters...
Because had he called a general election now (because he really doesn't have a majority for the politic he wish to pursue) he would have been history, both as a PM and as a party leader and that would, at best, have meant oblivion in the EU-Parliament with the other has-beens.

One noticable minister today, is Thyra Frank. who has become Minister for the Elderly. She actually knows what she's talking about and has many years of experience. And she's very passionate. She has some very good ideas and I predict she will become the most lamented minister once this government falls.

(*) Basically we have two social democrat parties in DK right now. The "old" Social Democrats, who are finding their roots after the last disastrous period as government, where they were forced to pursue a politic in complete contrast to their voters.
And the Danish Peoples Party, which are right wing social democrats with a nationalist and somewhat xenophobic streak. (Read: anti-Muslim, anti-immigration from non-western countries).
The current government is as said above totally in the mercy of these two parties. So the two most influential people in DK politics right now is not the PM, Lars Løkke. But the chairwoman of the Social Democrats, Mette Frederiksen (who is very likely to become the next PM) and Thulesen Dahl, the leader of the Danish Peoples Party, who may very well form an official or unofficial union with the Social Democrats after the next election.

Last edited:
I thought it might be an idea to have a look at what goes on, when QMII receive an ambassador. Because as you know USA is going to have a new president and the peculiar thing about the US system is that they change ambassadors when there is a new administration.

QMII herself explained it very well.

At some point next year the current US ambassador to DK will have an audience with QMII (and perhaps Frederik as well), where he will formally say goodbye and I imagine he may be presented with an order or a commemorative medal.
He will still be the US ambassador though after that audience.

In the eyes of the DRF and protocol-wise an ambassador is the direct representative of his/her head of state, (I.e. ear to mouth) which is not necessarily also the government. That means that a new ambassador will be received appropriately as befits someone who is the direct representative for a foreign head of state.
And that means the ambassador will be driven in a horse-drawn carriage to Amalienborg escorted by Guards Hussars. (Good practice). Often the ambassador will wear a national costume (*).
At Amalienborg an honor guard from the Royal Lifeguard Regiment will meet him and here he/she will be received by members of the court and hand over (a copy of) his credentials, authorizing him as the official ambassador for in this case USA. At the same time he will present the letter of dismissal for the former ambassador.
When QMII have read these letters and they have been noted in protocols, later to end up in the Archive of the Realm.
Then the ambassador will be led in to a personal and formal audience with QMII (and perhaps Frederik) where he will be officially welcomed to Denmark and officially present QMII with his credentials. (Which of course she won't read here and now, since she already know the contents). - Then the new ambassador is officially the US ambassador, not before.
That's the end of the formal audience.
Shortly after follow a more informal meeting with QMII, which also include any staff the ambassador brings with him, as well as members of the court and perhaps representatives from the Foreign Ministry.
Here refreshments are served and the ambassador have a more informal chat with QMII, - but not about political issues though.

When the ambassador leaves Amalienborg he/she is now His/Her Excellency the Ambassador for the United States of America in the Kingdom of Denmark.

DK is one of the few countries where such an elaborate and formal ceremony takes place.
All ambassadors receive the same welcome.

(*) AFAIK USA doesn't have a national costume but I think it could be stylish if USA adopted one. And since the US diplomatic service started in the latter 1700's, a costume, complete with a tricorn hat, from that period would IMO be a stylish touch.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for explaining all that happens with a new Ambassador to Denmark. I really do like the pomp and the circumstance and the protocol that is followed to the letter in each case and to me, it makes it so much more meaningful.

I, also, would love to see a national costume such as you described. That's one thing that I think is missing in the USA. It would be so much more colorful and historically meaningful if the USA added a bit of pomp and circumstance to things. As it stands now, its pretty much boring. :D

DK is one of the few countries where such an elaborate and formal ceremony takes place.
All ambassadors receive the same welcome.

I think in most monarchies the ambassadors are driven to Palace's in an elaborate way. Even in Spain they are driven to the Place in a horsedran carriage.
here is a Video about Denmark. I only found it a bit surprsing that the Queen is ab bit informally dreseed (if she wears what she wore at the inspection of the Guards) for the actual ceremony. i had expecdted more something like she werars at the new Years Courts so she can also wear her Orders.
https://www.facebook.com/detdanskekongehus/videos/398711177134136/

QMII has the advantage of the home turf, she doesn't, so to speak, have to "outflash" her guests. ;)
Especially since not all ambassadors come in a national attire. That may explain her more informal wear. But I can imagine she wear an order from the country the ambassador is coming from and just change to a new one, when she meets a new one.

In fact we don't have a national attire in DK, we only have local costumes. And we also have the problem that a Danish ambassador also represent Greenland and the Faroe Islands, who can sometimes be a little sensitive when they are lumped in with the Danes.

Most of the times the ambassadors come in groups, two or three.
Each ambassador is picked up at Kastellet (Copenhagen Fortress HQ) about a kilometer from Amalienborg at a specific time, then driven to Amalienborg. While ambassador A is in audience, the escort returns to Kastellet for ambassador B.
While ambassador B is in audience and the escort returns to pick up ambassador C, ambassador A is waiting in a chamber chatting with gentlemen from the court and the Foreign Ministry.
I'll imagine all that will take no more than an hour, then it's time for an informal communal audience with refreshments and additional small talk, before the new ambassadors are picked up by cars from their embassies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom