Princess Marie of Denmark Visits Morocco: November 10-11, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmi

Heir Presumptive
City
-
Country
New Zealand
Wow to be going overseas to do her first solo engagement surprises me. I would have thought it would be in Denmark, but good for her. (Just so long as her second one is in Denmark)

Princess Marie of Denmark Solo visit to Morocco: 28 October 2008

http://www.bt.dk/article/20081015/royalt/810150378/
Marie debut in Morocco
For the first time Princess Marie represent Denmark alone. It happens in Morocco, where she helps to reinforce the connection to the North African country.

15th October 2008, 15:12
Princess Marie, there Lego boxes in 3500, when she 28 October trips to the Moroccan capital of Rabat. After a ceremony at an orphanage in the capital city blocks to be given to orphanages throughout the country.

The visit to the North African country is organized by the Foreign Ministry and will strengthen relations between Denmark and Morocco. That comes on top of the opening in 2007 of a new Danish embassy in Rabat and the establishment of a number of cooperation projects between the two countries.
It is the first time, Marie has to represent the Danish royal family abroad alone.

the link was posted in PMarie thread by Carlota http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f33/princess-marie-current-events-part-1-a-18694.html so thanks alot to her.:flowers::flowers::flowers:

I am not surprised that Princess Marie will have an official trip to Morocco. It will be easy for her to communicate there as Moroccans can speak French. ... if I am not mistaken...
Looking forward to seeing photos of Lalla Salma and her sisters-in-law in stunning caftans and European outfits.

Wow to be going overseas to do her first solo engagement surprises me. I would have thought it would be in Denmark, but good for her. (Just so long as her second one is in Denmark)

Quite a surprise for me, too. I wouldn't have expected any solo engagements for the first year anyway.

Surprising that this event still isn't on the official DRF calender. Nonetheless, the trip seems to be a good one and it should be easy since French is also spoken in Morocco.:D

Btw, the article is not from Billed Bladet, but from BT.dk.:)

I am not surprised that Princess Marie will have an official trip to Morocco. It will be easy for her to communicate there as Moroccans can speak French. ... if I am not mistaken...
right Al_bina,as she is frensh born and all members of the royal family of morrocco can speak frensh very well also most of moroccan are good in this language,so i think that would help her in her first trip outside.

This event should be a piece of cake for Marie, she wouldn't have to speak a word in Danish.

Surprising that this event still isn't on the official DRF calender. Nonetheless, the trip seems to be a good one and it should be easy since French is also spoken in Morocco.:D

Btw, the article is not from Billed Bladet, but from BT.dk.:)

I was thinking the same. Ít´s going to be easy for her as she is a French speaker, and at the same time she is representing a Danish Company.
And all this in her first solo enagement...It´s going to be her cup of tea. It´s great that the Princess work is beeing usefulness to strengthen relations between Denmark and Morocco
I´m unpatience to see this visit!!!

Last edited:
This event should be a piece of cake for Marie, she wouldn't have to speak a word in Danish.

i'm sure it was chosen because of that reason - no danish involved and the host country speaks her native language. however, it's not just that: i think it's quite brave of her to take a solo trip just months after the wedding, by herself and to a completely different culture.

thanks for the new thread on the visit! i hope the confirmation in the diary comes soon.l

However still I think she is going to be very nervous but it is really good that she is going to delivery Legos to the children that's a very beautiful cause and for that I think she will enjoy it very mucht :flowers:

Here is the Official Web page of the Danish Embassy in Rabat. May be in a few days we could check for some "official Program" or any official imformation about the trip.

Ambassade du Danmark, Rabat

Official confirmation

28/10 08
H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie overrækker på et børnehjem i Rabat en donation fra Legos Charity Fond til marokkanske børnehjem. Prinsesse Marie besøger Marokko som led i Udenrigsministeriets indsats for styrkelsen af relationerne mellem Danmark og Marokko. Overrækkelsen finder sted kl. 10.00.
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender

Last edited:
Great news but why is her first solo event in Morocco and not Denmark? Im pretty sure this will be quite difficult and lots of pressure on Marie IMO, I just think it would be esier if she started in Denamrk and then slowly moved abroad.
This seems like a very nice event. Also is charity something Marie will take up ?

I think don´t mind if it is in Demark or in other part of the world, the really importan thing is that she is working for Denmark and that she is beeing usefulness to Denmark.

She just has to present some boxes of Lego, how hard can it be? Get in the plane in the morning, arrive in Morocco (probably someone of the MRF will meet her), give out the boxes, smile, wave and go back. It's not rocketscience imo. You would have to be very, very unsure of yourself to not pull that off.

I think don´t mind if it is in Demark or in other part of the world, the really importan thing is that she is working for Denmark and that she is beeing usefulness to Denmark.

Yes, the question may be: How useful can this trip be? What will be the benefit or awareness be by handing out toys?

I understand Lego, if I recall off the top of my head correctly, is a Danish company; So a Danish company is giving away toys, by Denmark's newest princess, to another country... what is the point? What kind of awareness is being raised here? That orphaned children in Morocco don't have enough Legos or toys in general to play with? And is that what orphaned children really need... toys? I would think there is a bigger solution that needs to be addressed than handing out toys. I mean, sure it may or may not put a smile on a kid's face for five minutes, but then what? By the way, this isn't Marie's fault by no means, but the question and discourse following is an honest one.

:)

If Danemark makes Lego toys and Marie goes to the orphanage in Morocco to deliver to the orphans where is the harm? No one can do everything for everyone. It is a nice gesture and I am sure the children will appreciate the gifts.

It's not a question of "harm", but rather what is the point and issue at hand here? What is or will be the long lasting impact of handing out toys?
Sure it may be a temporary "happy high", but if there is a real issue at these Moroccon orphanages is handing out toys the answer? My guess would be, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Moroccan children in orphanages have needs I would believe the Moroccan government should address these needs.
Marie is going for that "happy moment" break and I applaud her for this.
I do not think that it is anyone else's responsibility to take care of the issues everyone has. I am sorry if I sound cold but I believe that we each have the power to take care of our own and outsiders may give us a moment of respite but they should not be saddled with the underlying problems.

even marie, or any other royal can harldy solve all the issues and problems in the world. if the moroccan orphanages have problems of any sort, it's not marie who has to solve them. marie is a danish princess, and therefore her work will probably be 80% focused on denmark and 20% on the rest of the world. if her activity is to hand out toys (like i have seen many famous people do) abroad, i would just see it as a nice gesture and a 'happy high moment' from denmark to morocco, with marie being it's representant.

You sound very far from being "cold". Nonetheless, you still haven't addressed the main issue and question: Does handing out toys, to foreign children, really solve anything or bring attention to a serious cause that affects another country directly like Denmark? And if the cause is to raise awareness of orphaned kids in Morocco then why is a Danish princess going there to do so? What's the point? Sure it's a cute gesture, but it has no real point to it... except as an advertisment for a Danish company and a nice photo-op for Denmark's latest "It" princess.

Nothing is being resolved here, with this day trip (or however long it may be.) And yes I do agree that problems within a particular country should be solved by that particular country... and not be resolved or taken up by a foreigner handing out toys to kids with no parents unless there is more to it such as an international problem like global warming or an international economic crisis.

Orphaned kids receiving toys from a Danish company isn't exactly an international crisis. It's a nice gesture with no real purpose... I mean let's get real here.

Marie isn't trying to change the world. She's just trying to brighten the lives of children, and I think that this solo event is great. Maybe one of her patronages will have to do with children?

You said it! It is a nice gesture. I cannot read more to it. Danemark makes the toys and Marie will go deliver them, receive a bouquet a few photos will be snapped and everyone will go back to their "normal" lives the next day. Isn't that more or less what all royals do?

I think it´s quite expensive for the Danish tax-payer to pay for those trips. Why can´t they just give the Lego toys to the Moroccon embassy in Copenhagen and the embassy can send it to Morocco or so. It´s ridiculous to send Marie to Morocco just to hand out toys.

I understand your point about the poor Moroccan orphans but the only other option would be to either FedEx the toys or not give them at all.
When Princess Diana was going around to hospitals and halfway houses, there was a bit of noise (actually more than a bit) and then she'd go back to Kensington Palace, wear a fine evening gown and go to a premiere and life was good.
Probably the publicity that this visit generates will make some well heeled Moroccans take a second look at the plight of the orphans. If this happens Marie did her job well. If it does not, she cannot be blamed because no one did something for them.
Firstly I do not believe she sets her agenda. The Palace does and it is good she starts dipping her princessly toes into the pool of duties.
On a side note Queen Paola had started those day care centers in Belgium a long time ago, (I forget the name). Perhaps Lalla Salma will take steps to do the same in Morocco after this visit.

Apparently, the main goal of this visit is to strengthen relations between Denmark and Morocco. I know that the thought of visiting an orphanage and handing out Legos during only one visit may seem trivial, but that isn't the main point of the visit. If the Danish government wants to strengthen ties with Morocco, it makes a lot of sense to send the royal who is fluent in French, especially since this is just a quick visit and not an intense meeting where trade agreements will be made.

There has been some discussion regarding this in the Morocco thread, and the first poster has shared some information about the idea behind this visit.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...morocco-28-october-2008-a-18696-new-post.html

Apparently, the main goal of this visit is to strengthen relations between Denmark and Morocco.

Exactly! This is what I have picked up in a Danish newspaper! Denmark opened a new embassy in Rabat last year, and the Lego-charity is just part of a bigger "charm offensive", if you like! There's far more to it than handing out some boxes of Lego! As French-speaking any of the Danish royals could have gone to Morocco; this is probably viewed as a good opportunity for Princess Marie to represent Denmark abroad. I take it that there won't be many Danish kids talking to her in Danish, so she'll be on fairly safe ground! :)

Well if you look at it from the point of view that any of the Danish royals could have gone, then I think that Marie was a good choice.

This visit is a great commercial for Lego, no doubt about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denmark has opened a recent new embassy in Rabat last year, now the Danish Ministry of Foreing Afairs put Marie on Marroco with the excuse of a charity trip. But I think this is more than a simply hand out of toys, is a "diplomacy operation" by the Danish goverment, and here is where Marie play an importan role as a member of the DRF, becouse this is her role, to be at the service of Denmark, and Danish goverment is using Marie for this.

The hand out of toys is just an excuse, this is really a diplomacy operation, wich every country does.

Last edited:
I don't think the presentation of the toys is just an excuse and Marie's visit is really a diplomacy operation.
I don't think the court would have chosen something that difficult for Marie's first solo engagement. And I don't think sending the newest member of the DRF - and not a very important one - is a great help to strengthen the relations between DK and Morocco.

Lego is a very important Danish company, their charity fund is donating lego boxes to Moroccan orphanages - not the first time Lego does something like this - and this time Marie will hand them over. Obviously the court thought this is something she is able to manage at this stage of her princess life and being a French native speaker.
Nothing wrong with that and hopefully the toys will make the children happy for a while. And it might also be one first little step - of I guess many to come - to strengthen the relationship with Morocco.

Back
Top Bottom