Is the Morocco Monarchy in Trouble?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenngirl

Aristocracy
Country
United States
This is my very first try at creating a new thread. I hope I do it properly! However, I have a bad question to ask. :(

I heard today on the radio that the government of Morocco arrested 500 people in suspicion that they wanted to kill the king and bring in another government.

Has anyone else heard this? I jumped on the Web to see if there was anything on the news and did not see anything. I am hoping that someone over in that area would know more details.

I don't want to start an argument about religion or whatever. I just think that the King and Princess seem like a neat couple and I hope nothing is wrong with the country. And, of course, they have the most adorable Crown Prince!!!:)

Personally,I think that the moroccan monarchy is not in trouble more than the rest of the middle eastern monarchies,and it will be the last one to worry about troubles which could be caused by religious.

The moroccan kings used to have always opposants,remember in the 70's,King Hassan II was into to be killed by general Oufkir twice,the attempts of overtrowing are not always due to religion or so,but it's more a question of power.

tenngirl said:
This is my very first try at creating a new thread. I hope I do it properly! However, I have a bad question to ask. :(

I heard today on the radio that the government of Morocco arrested 500 people in suspicion that they wanted to kill the king and bring in another government.

Has anyone else heard this? I jumped on the Web to see if there was anything on the news and did not see anything. I am hoping that someone over in that area would know more details.

I don't want to start an argument about religion or whatever. I just think that the King and Princess seem like a neat couple and I hope nothing is wrong with the country. And, of course, they have the most adorable Crown Prince!!!:)

If this go to happend. I'm afraid for the Moroccan people. It will be BIG chaos in Morocco and many people will be killed. I don't hope so.
Please tell us what is your source of information?

I heard it on a talk station here in America. The lady was Laura Ingraham and I went to her website to see if she had a link to it. I thought she had quoted it from the Washington Times or Post. But I did not find anything. :confused:

I was really bothered because it seems that the King is a stabilizing force in the country and I think he is an American ally. We need as many of those as we can get!!

Are you from Morocco? If so, and your family has not said anything, maybe it was just an error on the part of the newspaper. Unfortunately, you cannot believe most of what you read in them anyway!

tenngirl said:
I heard it on a talk station here in America. The lady was Laura Ingraham and I went to her website to see if she had a link to it. I thought she had quoted it from the Washington Times or Post. But I did not find anything. :confused:

I was really bothered because it seems that the King is a stabilizing force in the country and I think he is an American ally. We need as many of those as we can get!!

Are you from Morocco? If so, and your family has not said anything, maybe it was just an error on the part of the newspaper. Unfortunately, you cannot believe most of what you read in them anyway!
hi tenngirl am moroccan i didn't hear about any trouble in my country just in you're post I can Confirms that there is no trouble maybe the station explain un corctly an event
sorry for my bad english:eek:

I know what you mean. I came accross the same thing 2 years ago. Although it was about the Saudi Royal family. An Embassador to Saudi Arabia gave a presentation at my University, that he thought that the 'house of Al-Saud ws on it's last legs' as he put it.

It frightened many people and when they attended the presentation, they found out that it was merely a hipothesis. Most disagreed with his thoughts about the matter.

What I mean to say is, don't worry about it even the most official sources can sometimes get it wrong ;)

tenngirl said:

I remember speaking to a Moroccan friend who said that alot of his family were quite disappointed with King Mohammed VI and felt quite let down by him as they didn't feel as though he had followed through on all his promises. However, I've not read or heard of there being a very strong/vocal Republican movement in Morocco (like Spain for example) so I think the Monarchy is relatively safe at present.

Just yesterday Abdelmoumen Diouri ex member of the movement who Tried to kill king hassan 2 returned to morocco after 35 years of the exile in frensh,not only him alot of opposed to the monarchy return to morocco after hassan 2 Death(abraham srfaty,familly of benbarka...), I don't think that a Regime who fells in danger Will allow for those to return:wacko:
when Mohammed VI became a king in 1999 Most of people here in morocco and even in The foreign states Thought that he can't Ends Six months as king one of These people were my familly Especially my father ,I remamber an articl in le monde say that king hassan2 was the last king in the Alaouite dynasty. but after 7 years alot of Opinions Changed, finally he Accomplished in 7 yeas more than his father in 38 years:(big reforms,big Projects,freedom of expression not like UK or USA but better than other arabic country...),yeas some poeple want more and I am one of them who think that m6 can do better especially in The political domain but I think that think change for good and maybye we have here in morocco a very good Opportunity to make our country better.
I want to Indicat something there is strange Relationship between people here in morocco and the monarchy perhaps they Criticizes her but also they don't trusth any one when There is adifficult decisions to take.......

Last edited:
I did not hear of anything going wrong or something bad usually when there are problems in the government or politics of a sovereign state like that of Morroco it would be know by the public.

True! In view of his reforms etc, many have stated that although not everything promised was achieved it was better than the previous reign. :flowers:

shrifia said:
Just yesterday Abdelmoumen Diouri ex member of the movement who Tried to kill king hassan 2 returned to morocco after 35 years of the exile in frensh,not only him alot of opposed to the monarchy return to morocco after hassan 2 Death(abraham srfaty,familly of benbarka...), I don't think that a Regime who fells in danger Will allow for those to return:wacko:
when Mohammed VI became a king in 1999 Most of people here in morocco and even in The foreign states Thought that he can't Ends Six months as king one of These people were my familly Especially my father ,I remamber an articl in le monde say that king hassan2 was the last king in the Alaouite dynasty. but after 7 years alot of Opinions Changed, finally he Accomplished in 7 yeas more than his father in 38 years:(big reforms,big Projects,freedom of expression not like UK or USA but better than other arabic country...),yeas some poeple want more and I am one of them who think that m6 can do better especially in The political domain but I think that think change for good and maybye we have here in morocco a very good Opportunity to make our country better.
I want to Indicat something there is strange Relationship between people here in morocco and the monarchy perhaps they Criticizes her but also they don't trusth any one when There is adifficult decisions to take.......

i believe that what tenngirl heard on the radio was about the bombings that happened in morocco 3years ago because afterwards the authorities said that they had arrested quite a few people that were suspected of wanting to kill the king and overthrow the monarchy

imane44 said:
i believe that what tenngirl heard on the radio was about the bombings that happened in morocco 3years ago because afterwards the authorities said that they had arrested quite a few people that were suspected of wanting to kill the king and overthrow the monarchy
really imane44??!!!
I never hear about Attempt of assassination m6!!! I think that the few people arrested had a relation with the bombings that happened in casablanca not killing the king.

Morocco will not be spared from unrest, royal family member says
Madrid/Rabat - Morocco will probably not be spared from the unrest spreading in Arab countries, King Mohammed VI's cousin Moulay Hicham said in an interview published Monday.....Source

Tunisia’s “Jasmine Revolution” Jolts the Arab World
2 weeks ago I posted on Zawya.com & some other LinkedIn groups the following comment about Tunisia Jasmine Revolt & last saturday I followed up with the update on Egypt. Please give your thoughts:

Tunisian popular revolution, which can be called “The Lesson” is just a sign of "L'Air du Temps" or " The Beginning of the End" for all dictatorship regimes wherever they are and particularly in the Arab world. Thus gives a great indication that Algeria & Egypt can be next...while the Kingdom of Morocco under the leadership of King Mohammed VI had, since his accession to the reign in 1999, perfectly understood early signs and needs of the growing population and applied appropriate political changes, actions and socio-economic programs

However, in order to secure a better transition to a more peaceful and promising future for each of those targeted Arab nations, each democratic opposition needs to review its political strategy, socio-economic programs with realistic models that take into consideration a better and optimal use of national resources, reduce social deficit, promote employment, provide better housing programs and conditions, improve freedom of speech and access to the information and Not to leave a chance for radical Islamist movements to take advantage of the situation etc.

Nevertheless, I wish Tunisian brotherly nation a very peaceful & democratic transition with effective democratic institutions that guarantee equality, accountability and a better economic and social success.

For more info, please log on the following link to view full article & comments on Zawya.com platform:
http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidANA20110115T115455ZMVC22#commentA110116011358

Sincerely,

By Hassane Alaoui Mdarhri
Last Saturday Jan. 29, I added the following update on Egypt Unrest
What is currently happening in Egypt has been already predicted by me as well as many other international observers 14 days ago (Please see above my comment posted first in Zawya.com on Jan. 15).

For sure, Algeria will follow same trend and Yemen is expanding it...While the political stability in the Kingdom of Morocco in this turbulent time is only a result of the right vision of HM King Mohammad VI and his ongoing capacity of addressing complex socio-economic issues since his succession to the Throne in mid-1999.

The 3 questions that I have now are as follow:
1- Will dictatorship regimes in the Arab world have same faith of disgrace like their previous peers in Central & East Europe had during 1990s?

2- How strong is democratic opposition in these countries compare to radical Islamist organizations?

3- How quickly democratic parties in these countries can settle their differences in order to form national democratic coalition based on effective socio-economic programs and transparent political institutions with the aim to organize free democratic elections in the coming 6 months and prevent the region from being at the mercy of radical Islam?
</SPAN>

I look forward to all your comments.

Thank you,

Hassane Alaoui Mdarhri

I think after what happen in Tunisia and Egypt no arab regime is spared from sush protest,but that does not mean that will for sure happen and in similiar ways ,although arab countries have some many similarities problems but also have different circumstances and even degree of the regime hate.

Here an intersting article to see:
Morocco unlikely to see contagion from Egypt-Fitch
NEW YORK, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Morocco is unlikely to suffer contagion from protests in Egypt and Tunisia in the short term, Fitch Ratings said on Tuesday as it reaffirmed the country's credit ratings.....Source

I hope that no revolution or populist revolts will occur in Morocco. His Majesty and his advisers will take appropriate measures to address topical issues, thereby placating people.

i hope so Al bina,yet things are quit in here there is no sign off any troubles,ppl don't feel like they need to go out like Egypt or Tunisia cause the King is very very popular.
BUT i think change is good and its the only way to avoid sush revolutions and that will allow the monarchy to stay for long years ahead.

Prince Moulay Hicham talked again about ME troubles and the chances of an upcoming revolution in Morocco on France TV chanel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjWF0HNTVY&feature=player_embedded

He didn't say that there's chance of upcomin revolution in Morocco. He exactly said Morocco will not be an exception for need to reforms of constitution and changes, and it's going into an EVOLUTION not a REVOLUTION like what's it seen in other ME coutries.

I am not moroccan, but I am very close to Morocco, and I know that there's no feelings of hate against the King or the moroccan monarchy.

You cannot lump the situation of different Arab countries as one.

There was no doubt that under Hassan II, levels of repression were quite high- lessening, presumably, due to the Western Sahara issue and Western pressures. He gradually allowed democratisation and a new constitution.

Under Mohammed VI, that process has continued. In fact, elections in Morocco are the most democratic in the Arab world, the fact that parties which had been in opposition to Hassan II have since become part of government would attest to that. It compares favourably to the sort of regimes that existed in Egypt and Tunisia- namely republican dictatorships whose leaders and close associates held not only absolute power, but looting much of its wealth.

So while it is not perfect, Morocco is better-placed to deal with problems because the monarchy has overseen a democratisation process through which this can be channelled. The people of Egypt and Tunisia never had such an opportunity. In fact, even the absolute monarchies of the Gulf states have done a better job of both looking after their citizens and listening to their concerns.

The present King was very intuitive in bringing in more democratization to Morocco during his reign especially when Al-Quaeda set off bombs in, I believe, Rabat a few years ago. He and his family stepped up their accessibility and support of the public as one part of an effort to stave off radical Islamists. The King was also wise enough to realize that in autocratic and corrupt states such as Egypt and Tunisia, radical Islamists have success in winning over converts to their causes.
Laura Ingram is a extreme right conservative commentator in the US and I wouldn't place credibility in anything that comes out of that woman's mouth. She is comparable to Rush Limbaugh, an idiot. She also came out with extremely racist remarks about President Obama until the GOP told her to cool it.

You cannot lump the situation of different Arab countries as one.

There was no doubt that under Hassan II, levels of repression were quite high- lessening, presumably, due to the Western Sahara issue and Western pressures. He gradually allowed democratisation and a new constitution.

Under Mohammed VI, that process has continued. In fact, elections in Morocco are the most democratic in the Arab world, the fact that parties which had been in opposition to Hassan II have since become part of government would attest to that. It compares favourably to the sort of regimes that existed in Egypt and Tunisia- namely republican dictatorships whose leaders and close associates held not only absolute power, but looting much of its wealth.

So while it is not perfect, Morocco is better-placed to deal with problems because the monarchy has overseen a democratisation process through which this can be channelled. The people of Egypt and Tunisia never had such an opportunity. In fact, even the absolute monarchies of the Gulf states have done a better job of both looking after their citizens and listening to their concerns.

Good analysis David. Actually the process of democratisation had started under reign of late King Hassa ll, and his son is doing good concreete job. It's not only communication an mediatisation for western medias, like it's done in Jordan for example.
In Morocco, people used from long time to show their hanger without any frictions with the power. Medias can some how touch to moroccan royals and critisize them when they want, and even the cousin of the actual King is outspoken about things his cousin the King have to improve, those things are not allowed in any other Arab or Muslim country so far.
The sucess of the moroccan monarchy is due basically to moroccan royals who behave like moroccan people and not like foreigens who came from an other planet to rule them as it's the case in some ME countries.
Morocco has lot to improove, but it's in good way.
There's no comparaison between the moroccan monarchy and any other arab regime or monarchy.

Good analysis David. Actually the process of democratisation had started under reign of late King Hassa ll, and his son is doing good concreete job. It's not only communication an mediatisation for western medias, like it's done in Jordan for example.
In Morocco, people used from long time to show their hanger without any frictions with the power. Medias can some how touch to moroccan royals and critisize them when they want, and even the cousin of the actual King is outspoken about things his cousin the King have to improve, those things are not allowed in any other Arab or Muslim country so far.
The sucess of the moroccan monarchy is due basically to moroccan royals who behave like moroccan people and not like foreigens who came from an other planet to rule them as it's the case in some ME countries.
Morocco has lot to improove, but it's in good way.
There's no comparaison between the moroccan monarchy and any other arab regime or monarchy.

In terms of democratic practice you are right. The only other Arab countries that can approach Morocco in terms of democratic practice, i.e. free and fair elections, would be Algeria and to an extent Lebanon. The issue here is not only democracy, but also quality of life and social security.

While countries such as UAE and Qatar do not possess democratic institutions, their rulers do communicate with their citizens, and provide for their citizens in terms of welfare and living standards. That's much better than what we saw eventuate in Egypt and Tunisia, whose rulers are much more cynical. At least in an absolute monarchy, what you see is what you get.

The present King was very intuitive in bringing in more democratization to Morocco during his reign especially when Al-Quaeda set off bombs in, I believe, Rabat a few years ago. He and his family stepped up their accessibility and support of the public as one part of an effort to stave off radical Islamists. The King was also wise enough to realize that in autocratic and corrupt states such as Egypt and Tunisia, radical Islamists have success in winning over converts to their causes.
Laura Ingram is a extreme right conservative commentator in the US and I wouldn't place credibility in anything that comes out of that woman's mouth. She is comparable to Rush Limbaugh, an idiot. She also came out with extremely racist remarks about President Obama until the GOP told her to cool it.

You are right on the mark.

David and Sephora you're made some very important points about the situation, although you're not Moroccan(I think) I see you are well informed:flowers:

I just want to make something clear here protests for better life has never never been something unsual in Morocco...I was eating my breakfast this morning while watching the news the France 24 channel reported(and sound like an exclusive breaking news) that 1000 unemployedytoung men protest in front of parliement...while those protest exist from let's say:forever.young used to go in the front of the Partliment sit in looong strikes asking for a job and some get a job via the govenement other no other join the group when they cant find a job and replace those who go and so go on .... not like it's a good thing or something but this situation isn't new...what I want to say is going out in march to protest you'r life condition isn't something rare or unsual here and sure can't be relitded now in what happen in Tunisia or Egypt...

Hassan II began what can we call it a democratisation of the country he was so clever to know that the only way for his rule and the monarchy to survive is to open the doors for the other to share in the making of the state futur so the big opposed to the monarchy Mr youssefi get back to Morocco and was appointed by Hassan II as PM to set a "consensus government" .... his son M6 have also adds (and still) to this experience he set a programes and plans for change in every domains in the country and ppl started to fell some changes in their life he also promises a free and democratic elections and that what happen and for the first time in our history and maybe a first for all the arab countries we go an elected PM in elections called free and fair by international observers.
the PM don't have as much power as the king yet I admit that but I think things is coming slwoly to that and this is what we expect in the end to happen.

David and Sephora you're made some very important points about the situation, although you're not Moroccan(I think) I see you are well informed:flowers:

I just want to make something clear here protests for better life has never never been something unsual in Morocco...I was eating my breakfast this morning while watching the news the France 24 channel reported(and sound like an exclusive breaking news) that 1000 unemployedytoung men protest in front of parliement...while those protest exist from let's say:forever.young used to go in the front of the Partliment sit in looong strikes asking for a job and some get a job via the govenement other no other join the group when they cant find a job and replace those who go and so go on .... not like it's a good thing or something but this situation isn't new...what I want to say is going out in march to protest you'r life condition isn't something rare or unsual here and sure can't be relitded now in what happen in Tunisia or Egypt...

Yes while protests have happened in Morocco and Algeria, but it seems they are working in both countries to meet protesters' demands. They are better able to do so because they have freer systems of government. Compared to Egypt, Tunisia, Syria and Yemen whose regimes are cynical and downright hypocritical in their practice. I say that because that is what they are- they take the forms of republics with "elective" leadership, but in reality they are just like the worst absolute monarchies.

Hassan II began what can we call it a democratisation of the country he was so clever to know that the only way for his rule and the monarchy to survive is to open the doors for the other to share in the making of the state futur so the big opposed to the monarchy Mr youssefi get back to Morocco and was appointed by Hassan II as PM to set a "consensus government" .... his son M6 have also adds (and still) to this experience he set a programes and plans for change in every domains in the country and ppl started to fell some changes in their life he also promises a free and democratic elections and that what happen and for the first time in our history and maybe a first for all the arab countries we go an elected PM in elections called free and fair by international observers.
the PM don't have as much power as the king yet I admit that but I think things is coming slwoly to that and this is what we expect in the end to happen.
Yep it's kind of like the French Fifth Republic system, where the head of state (in this case the King) and the head of government (the PM, officially accountable to Parliament) share the executive power.

There was the "Years of Lead" with deplorable human rights abuses. There was also the threat Morocco would go the same way as Iran, except that it wasn't nearly as bad. The Western Sahara issue afforded the King the chance to win support from the opposition, which is what happened, and was linked to the liberalisation of the system under the monarchy. You also cannot discount the role the Carter and Reagan administrations played- either the pressure to respect human rights, and the need to justify American aid (which happened elsewhere too)- that would have led Hassan to liberalise his rule.

The guided reform process under the Alaouite monarchy, thus, is preferable to most other state models existing in the Arab world.

Egypt: After Mubarek, What's Next?
This Friday Feb. 11, 2011 marks history for Egypt as Mubarak was forced to step down after over 3 decades of dictatorship. It's almost one month after Tunisia's revolt and the escape of Zine "Al Haribine" Ben Ali.
So, let's discuss the new reality and answer the following questions:
1- How will be the transition process and the amendment of the constitution in Egypt?
2- Who will be the contenders for the presidential election?
3- Will Egypt keep its commitments in the peace process with Israel & the rest of the World?
4- Will Muslim Brotherhood engage in democratic process and accept tolerance & cohabitation principles with all other Egyptian communities & the rest of the world?
3- Which country will be next in the rest of the Arab world?
As previously said, it is worth to believe that Algeria will follow the trend and then Yemen and Syria will surely face the same destiny etc.
Thank you,

Egypt: After Mubarek, What's Next?
This Friday Feb. 11, 2011 marks history for Egypt as Mubarak was forced to step down after over 3 decades of dictatorship. It's almost one month after Tunisia's revolt and the escape of Zine "Al Haribine" Ben Ali.
So, let's discuss the new reality and answer the following questions:
1- How will be the transition process and the amendment of the constitution in Egypt?
2- Who will be the contenders for the presidential election?
3- Will Egypt keep its commitments in the peace process with Israel & the rest of the World?
4- Will Muslim Brotherhood engage in democratic process and accept tolerance & cohabitation principles with all other Egyptian communities & the rest of the world?
3- Which country will be next in the rest of the Arab world?
As previously said, it is worth to believe that Algeria will follow the trend and then Yemen and Syria will surely face the same destiny etc.
Thank you,

What does a post about Egypt and Tunisia is doing in moroccan monarchy topic??? There's no relationship! It's like comparing apples with oranges
As we said before, there's no comparaison between moroccan monarchy and those regimes, even not gulf monarchies which are close to that in term of non respect of democracy, can't be compared as the absolute power is a part of the tribal arab tradition.

Sephora - I'm not comparing anything here and I know how to make a difference between apples & oranges. FYI, please log on the following links to view some of my recent posts in LinkedIn:
Competences Marocaines A L’ Etranger Group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=44685&type=member&item=40445979&qid=90e00d58-151e-441e-a744-bad5257e7092&goback=%2Egmp_44685

Morocco Board News Group, Washington DC:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=2284236&type=member&item=40450323&qid=ae29d16e-9b72-45c3-b361-7906c049fde7&goback=%2Egmp_2284236

Having said that and whether you like it or not as we are in a global village, if something of big magnitude happens anywhere in the world, be sure it immediately affects everybody and more importantly the neighbors.

In this respect, for any case analysis we must use a breakthrough thinking assessment process that helps evaluate each factor, parameter of the overall situation, determine the correlation and interdependence that exist between each point and player, put together all possible Scenarios/Action Plans then discuss and decide accordingly which strategy/plan you need to implement and pursue based on the findings/situation.

For the specific situation in the region, we must admit there are natural, cultural, religious and political correlations between each country and even though the Kingdom of Morocco under the leadership and right vision of HM King Mohammed VI is well ahead of its peers in the Arab world in terms of democracy, human rights, political stability, social housing programs etc, we have to be vigilant, pay great attention for anything happening around us and, be proactive and not reactive. Nobody is immune and for that we need to constantly adapt our country's strategy and communication with the neighbors as well as the rest of the world.

Furthermore, we have to consider this unpleasant situation in the rest of North Africa as an opportunity to capitalize on our political stability and national cohesion around HM King Mohammed VI and better sell Morocco's image, products and source to all our partners and target markets around the world as a matter of fact Tunisia and Egypt are direct competitors to Morocco in the area of Tourism, Textile & Garment, Agro-industry, outsourcing etc and there are many orders placed and vacation planned in both countries that unfortunately for them have been canceled for security reason and Morocco can be a great alternative for those clients and tourists etc.
Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom