Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler of Abu Dhabi current events: 2004-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

desertrosemrk

Courtier
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan

President of the United Arab Emirates and hereditary Emir and Ruler of Abu Dhabi

Born 1948, succeeded his father Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan on 3 November 2004.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Sheikh Khalifa
Picture From Al Ittihad

Attachments

• in_1_b.jpg
    in_1_b.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,936
  • 000ola_01_b_161105.jpg
    000ola_01_b_161105.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,663
Last edited by a moderator:
President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan (R) greets Jordan's king Abdullah II upon the latter's arrival to Abu Dhabi, 26 June 2006. The king is on a two days visit to the Gulf state

from profimedia

Attachments

• NWS-1082670.jpg
    NWS-1082670.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 870
French president Jacques Chirac (L) welcomes the President of the United Arab Emirates Khalifa bin Zayid al-Nuhayyan, 21 July 2006 at the Elysee Palace in Paris.

from getty

King Abdullah II (L) meets with President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan in Abu Dhabi, 15 January 2007

http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=2&ShowPicture=4490906&pos=16
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=2&ShowPicture=4491149&pos=15

President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan ® welcomes President of Pakistan, upon the latter's arrival to Abu Dhabi, 25 January 2007

http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20070125/7215e040c59b7g.jpg
http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20070125/7215e040c588ag.jpg

Sheikh Mohamed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum the Crown Prince and Ruler of Dubai (left), Ali Abdullah Saleh, President of Yemen (Centre) and Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, stand during the national anthems before the final of the Arabian Gulf Cup between United Arab Emirates and Oman, in the Zayed Sports City Stadium on January 30, 2007, in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_preview.php?idp=13294995
http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_preview.php?idp=13294623
http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_preview.php?idp=13297691

Khalifa sends letter to Saudi Monarch
Feb 14, 2007 - 08:26 -
Riyadh, KSA, Feb. 14th, 2007 (WAM)---President H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan sent today a letter to Custodian of the two Holy Mosques King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud of Saudi Arabia dealing with cooperation between the UAE and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and issues of mutual concern.
The letter was delivered to King Abdullah by Sheikh Saeed bin Zayed Al Nahyan who is on a current visit to Saudi Arabia to attend activities of the 22nd edition of Al Janadriyah National Festival for Heritage and Culture which was opened today by the Saudi Monarch.
The meeting was attended by UAE Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Al Asri Al Dhaheri.
WAM

Photos:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/desertrosemrk/Satelliter5tgyhj.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/desertrosemrk/Satellite3456tyguhj.jpg

Book on Khalifa's tour stresses ties - article

Mohammad, Sultan discuss bilateral ties

WAM
Published: August 05, 2007, 23:05
Abu Dhabi: General Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, yesterday received Prince Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz, Crown Prince, Minister of Defence and Aviation and Inspector General of Saudi Arabia - article

hello to everybody,
thanks a lot for your help.
know i have another question: how many children have sheik khalifa bin zayed?
you're a wonderful team and sorry my bad english

2 sons and not too sure how many daughters.

He Has Two Sons - Mohammed And Sultan And At Least Two/three Daughters...

A handout picture released by the Emirati news agency WAM shows Emirati President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan (R) meeting with his Uzbek counterpart Islam Karimov (L) in Abu Dhabi on March 17, 2008. Karimov is on an official visit to the United Arab Emirates for talks on economic links.

pic 1 -- pic 2
(anp)

Our foreign policy rejects violence, extends bridges of cooperation with all peace-loving nations: President Sheikh Khalifa

....His Highness praised the Commanders, Officers, NCO's and Soldiers of the UAE Armed Forces for their allegiance, dedication and sacrifice which he said enabled "this homeland to stay big, secured strong and prosperous, and fare into future with steady, confident steps strengthening a victorious civilized march founded by our ancestors who wisely appreciated the unified armies' paramount role in defending the homeland, bringing prosperity to the people and building the nation." Sheikh Khalifa made his remarks in a speech carried by the Dira' Al-Watan magazine (Arabic for Shield of the Nation), on the occasion of 32 nd Anniversary of the Unification of the UAE Armed Forces...
- Full Article (WAM)

hello to everybody,
thanks a lot for your help.
know i have another question: how many children have sheik khalifa bin zayed?
you're a wonderful team and sorry my bad english

2 son's & 6 Daughters:flowers:

it´s not that often Sheik Khalifa takes the spotlight, it´s been said that not only does he have his permanent resident in the more peaceful Al-Ain but that he also in many ways admire the older tribal lifestyles as opposed to the more energetic powergroups like the Bani Fatima Al-Nahyans or the Maktoums of Dubai.

it´s not that often Sheik Khalifa takes the spotlight, it´s been said that not only does he have his permanent resident in the more peaceful Al-Ain but that he also in many ways admire the older tribal lifestyles as opposed to the more energetic powergroups like the Bani Fatima Al-Nahyans or the Maktoums of Dubai.

His permanent resident is in Abu Dhabi, his weekend house is in Al-Ain where if not mistaken his mother lives.
Sheikh Khalifa has always been out of the spotlight, even in his fathers days. I think he lived where there was someone very powerful doing all the work and meetings where he attended but didnt really do anything much. Now, he seems to only be meeting visiting leaders, opening meetings etc.

His permanent resident is in Abu Dhabi, his weekend house is in Al-Ain where if not mistaken his mother lives.
Sheikh Khalifa has always been out of the spotlight, even in his fathers days. I think he lived where there was someone very powerful doing all the work and meetings where he attended but didnt really do anything much. Now, he seems to only be meeting visiting leaders, opening meetings etc.

So at weekends he returns to the desert Oasis that is Al-Ain, to me it sounds like it´s where his heart is really.
Not that it matters that much given the abundance of bright and ambitious young Royals willing to devote their energies to push the UAE/Abu Dhabi forward the emirate got

dazzling, i want to make sure that i am following what you are saying. is shiekh khalifa mainly a figure head with sheikh mohammed or someone else running the show?

dazzling, i want to make sure that i am following what you are saying. is shiekh khalifa mainly a figure head with sheikh mohammed or someone else running the show?

Maybe I can try to answer that one...it might take some time to read I´m afraid.

Right up to the announcement of Zayed's death, even those locals and veteran expatriates who considered themselves among the best informed had got it all wrong. Indeed, with the exception of just one publication, almost all had predicted the succession of Zayed's astute, dynamic and highly visible third-eldest son, Muhammad. Only one year previously, Muhammad had been appointed by his father to the all-new position of deputy crown prince, a move interpreted by some as deliberately smoothing the way for the succession. However, in accordance with primogeniture, the eldest of Zayed's sons and Abu Dhabi's crown prince since 1966, Khalifa, was quietly proclaimed the new ruler.

Khalifa got no full brothers. A bloc of six of Zayed's other sons are, however, full brothers, and most significantly their mother, Shaikha Fatima bint Mubarak al-Qitbi, was Zayed's favored wife and continues to be regarded as the UAE's "First Lady." Predictably, as something approaching a cohesive political bloc in an otherwise highly fragmented dynasty, they have collectively grown in power as they have grown older.
Partly due to their Western education, they are thought to have much in common with emerging technocratic elements in the Council of Ministers and the Federal National Council. Crucially, they have between them gained important control over foreign affairs and parts of the military, domestic intelligence, information services, and other institutions closely connected to national security.
The eldest of these Bani Fatima is the crown prince Muhammad.

To contain the power of the Bani Fatima President Sheikh Khalifa got support from a more splintered fraction that often are referred to as the Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa, they where the main powerbrokers during the late Emirs reign and with him basically built the UAE from scratch.
Indeed, of the late Khalifa's six grandsons, all assumed important positions of power during the early years of Zayed's administration. The eldest of these, Hamdan, was one of the most vociferous supporters of Zayed's cause in 1966 and was at one point even considered as a potential crown prince should anything happen to Zayed's sons. He was the first chairman of Abu Dhabi's new Public Works Department and then became the UAE's deputy prime minister for much of the 1970s and the early 1980s. The second eldest grandson, Mubarak, served as Abu Dhabi's chief of police during the critical first few years of Zayed's rule and was later rewarded with control over the Ministry of the Interior. Tahnun, the third of the Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa, has for some years been a member of the Supreme Petroleum Council and a former director of the Abu Dhabi National oil Company (ADNOC), in addition to holding the deputy chairmanship of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council (Abu Dhabi's emirate-level cabinet). Perhaps most significantly, Tahnun remains the governor of Abu Dhabi's eastern region, which includes the enormous responsibility of governing the emirate's second largest city, Al-Ayn.
Notable among the other grandsons have been Saif, who was chairman of the Abu Dhabi Planning Department and the UAE's minister of health for much of the 1970s, and Surur who was the original chairman of Abu Dhabi's Department of Justice, the chamberlain of the Presidential Court for a long period, the chairman of the Abu Dhabi Department of Water and Electricity, and at one point also the chairman of the UAE Central Bank.

Today, many of these grandsons remain influential, and many of their own sons have formed the latest generation of the loyal Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa. In particular, Hamdan's son Khalifa is the chairman of Abu Dhabi's Department of Economy, while his other sons include Hamad, a successful businessman with the nickname "The Rainbow Shaikh' given his fleet of multicolored cars, and Sultan, chairman of Protocol and the Presidential Guest House. Mubarak's eldest surviving son, Nuhayyan, is minister of education and the president of Zayed University, with his other son, Hamdan, serving as the chairman of Abu Dhabi's Civil Aviation Department (and at one point being the chairman of Gulf Air). Similarly prominent are Tahnun's sons, who between them hold positions on the Abu Dhabi Executive Council, the chairmanship of the powerful General Industry Corporation (essentially a government parastatal),

Despite their ongoing influence however, they and their sons are nowhere nearly as powerful as they were in Zayed's early years. For example, Hamdan bin Muhammad's position of deputy prime minister has been lost to Hamdan bin Zayed, while Surur bin Muhammad's chairmanship of the UAE Central Bank has also been lost (remarkable, given that many believed Surur could have become Khalifa's new crown prince following Zayed's death77). Similarly the Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa have lost the directorship of ADNOC, the chamberlainship of the Presidential Court, and indeed almost all of the ministerial portfolios that they held during the 1970s and 1980s. Clearly, they have been squeezed, mainly by the rising Bani Fatima, and, although there has been some intermarriage between the two blocs, they remain a completely distinct faction. Crucially, of Zayed's sons, they have always been closer to Khalifa, as he is, of course, not a part of the Bani Fatima and therefore regarded as the best potential balancing force. In addition, Khalifa's mother, Shaikha Hussa, was a sister of the Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa, and most of Khalifa's daughters have been married into this branch, further reinforcing any future Khalifa-Bani Muhammad bin Khalifa link.

So as you can imagine HH Sheik Khalifa is by no means a figurehead, it´s just that there are two main blocks of power so his powers are limited in certain areas.

thank you very much for this info, but i would like to know, sheikh saif bin zayed became interior minister , is he also a son of sheikha fatima ?cz minister of interior is also one of the most powerful positions in this country

thank you very much for this info, but i would like to know, sheikh saif bin zayed became interior minister , is he also a son of sheikha fatima ?cz minister of interior is also one of the most powerful positions in this country

Welcome to TRF abudhabilady :flowers: Sheikh Saif is not one of Sheikha Fatima's son's.

schwalker, thank you so much for taking the time to post this article. very interestisng. it was what i had expected.

Thanks everyone..

A bit shortsighted of me not to mention who the Bani Fatima are but here goes!

Sheikh Muhammad. crown prince and very much the architect behind the modernisation of Abu Dhabi. He´s still very much considered the military leader of UAE.

Sheikh Hamdan, deputy prime minister.

Sheikh Hazza, heads the security and intelligence services. Not a man to cross..

Sheikh Tahnoun, heads the presidents private department.

Sheikh Mansour, minister of presidential affairs (The Royal chamberlain really)

Sheikh Abdullah, minister of foreign affairs (Updated)

Last edited:
i think sheikh abdullah's title is foreign minister. what have you heard about hazza, "not a man to cross"? are you just making reference to his job being head of intelligence? who do you think will be cp should sheikh mohammed become president? do you think that he will name one of his (mohammed) sons as cp, or do you think he will pass the position to one of his brothers or nephews?

Last edited:
You are correct, my list is a bit old and I was to lazy to update it even though I listed Sheikh Nuhayyan as minister of education earlier..My excuses!

Sheikh Abdullah is the "new" foreign minister. The confusing part is that his brother Hamdan used to direct foreign policy under Sheikh Zayed.
As for Sheik Hazza not being a man to cross, let us just say that he sort of combines the authority of US institutions like FBI, CIA and homeland security in one person but I was mainly thinking about him being the president of the Abu Dhabi Combat Club...:D

As for who becomes the next emir and who that person would appoint as crown prince it´s way to early to speculate about given that non of the involved are that old.

A handout picture released by Emirates News Agency (WAM), shows Emirati President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahayan (R) talking to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown during his visit to UAE in Abu Dhabi, 03 November 2008. British Prime Minister Gordon Brown arrived in Abu Dhabi on 03 November as he completes a four-day Gulf tour which already took him to Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Brown has already received assurances from Saudi Arabia and Qatar that they will contribute to an International Monetary Fund (IMF) account to stabilize national economies rocked by the global financial crisis. Brown will seek similar assurances in Dubai. Before starting his trip, he said Gulf states are currently better positioned to lend than other nations, as several years of record oil prices have left the monarchies sitting on huge cash reserves. EPA/EMIRATES NEWS via ANP

Picture

Shaikh Khalifa's full speech on National Day

...My Brothers and Sisters, The march of our federation has crossed several milestones on the plain of the social and economic development, as it has built an institutional life on strong foundations.

As we continue the process of building our nation with the same power and determination, I look forward to receiving more participation from the people in this endeavour, with all faith in the importance of building an interactive relationship between the two poles of our political existence and the social pyramid.

With this faith, I am solicitous to continue to strengthen our democratic process and to develop it until we reach the aspired level of its participatory role... - Full Speech

December 2008
Khalifa receives greetings from his Tunisian counterpart
Article

Khalifa calls for rain prayers on Saturday
Article

Khalifa issues decrees
Article

January 2009
Khalifa arrives in Riyadh
Article

Khalifa congratulates President Obama
Article