Sheikh Issa bin Zayed: torture scandal April 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TRF is not a vehicle for "open & vigourous scrutiny & critique" of "appalling lack of Human Rights in Abu Dhabi, Dubai & all of the UAE."
If members want to discuss that topic then please do so on another website.

So far we've let this discussion run pretty much as it has been posted, but the Forums are not to be used to pursue other or wider agendas.

thanks.
Warren
TRF Administrator

It appears that I need to reiterate what I have just posted.

This thread is not about al Maktoums, al Qasimis, al Nuaimis or Sheikhs in general, nor is it about political or human rights conditions in the UAE or anywhere else.

Posts continuing this line of discussion will be removed.

Warren
Administrator

Oh well, I tried.

Thread closed.

= = = = = = =

To clarify: the thread was closed because members would not keep to the subject of Sheikh Issa, not because we are indulging in "censorship", as has been claimed. This is not the place to discuss the Ruling Family of Dubai, the lack of smiles from the Ruler of Sharjah (or RAK), the supposed arrogance of the al Nuaimis, the Holocaust, Guantanamo, Abu Gharib, Afghanistan, or Prince Harry's Nazi uniform.

When the Administrators and Moderators are confident that members will respect the boundaries of discussion, the thread will be reopened.
In the meantime relevant news material posted elsewhere will be moved to this thread; irrelevant material will be removed.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Gulf-news.com article. Link below.

Rights group hails positive step of Abu Dhabi Judicial Department
"New York based Human Rights Watch (HRW) has welcomed as a positive step the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department's (ADJD) decision to review a widely circulated filming of the torture of an Afghan trader in the UAE.
The Human Rights Office of the Abu Dhabi Judeicial Department believes that the events depicted on the video appear to represent a violation of human rights and therefore these events should be fully reviewed in their own right," said a statement published on WAM
The Abu Dhabi government "unequivocally condemned" the video that allegedly showed a member of the emirate's ruling family engaging in the abuse.
.... - Article

Sheikh reportedly detained pending torture investigation - CNN.com

CNN.com 10 May 2009
A member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi who was captured on videotape torturing an Afghan grain dealer has reportedly been detained, a senior U.S. State Department official told CNN Saturday.

The official said the government of the United Arab Emirates, which includes Abu Dhabi as one of its seven emirates, told the State Department that Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al Nahyan is under house arrest pending an investigation, but that the United States has not independently confirmed the development.

On Saturday, Human Rights Watch called the sheikh's reported detention "a significant development" but said the UAE government needs to do more to restore confidence in its judicial system.

Who is Issa's mother? Which of Zayed's three wives? Or is there another one?

Does anyone have the latest 411 on this lawsuit?? and is Sheikh Issa, Sheikha Fatimas son?

Sheikhs are just like anyone else tommy1. Saying that they are horrible horrible people isnt fair. Do you know them to judge? Doesnt mean because one Sheikh screwed up means other Sheikhs are the same. I just find judging people or saying they are horrible without meeting them is quite unfair IMO. I am not saying that Sheikh Issa is a nice guy, he isnt but that doesnt make his other brothers or other Sheikhs like him.

Hi... yes it not fair to judge Sheikhs. They are not horrible people at all and Sh. Issa is a very good person in heart and soul. I was his employee and I was present on the eventful day. I just want to say that Sh. Issa Bin Zayed as a person is a good man. He loved his employees. ThE people who cunningly plotted and said these things about him are the real "horrible people" in this story.. who looking for a way to make a few sleezy millions.

SH. ISSA IS A GOOD PERSON AND A GOOD SHEIKH - END OF STORY!!!!

The last news was that he was detained.

Not sure which wife # his mother was, not she isnt from the 3 wives. Sheik Issa isnt Shk Fatima's son.

H.H. Sheika Amina from Al Ain is Sh. Issa's mother. I think Sheikha Amina is the fourth Queen Mother.

I read sómewhere that he did survive actually, but I can't find the source again. Has there been any comments from the rest of al-Nahyan members? All can't be that awful right? (I hope)

Yes he is alive and still continuing his business as normal with full freedom. There was no suppression and he lives as a normal expatriate in UAE.

Why didnt anybody get his side of the story in video? He would say the truth thats why.....

Of course. But not just this Sheikh... You can't think that. It's just that Sheikh Issa Bin Zayed hasn't got the intelegence, the IQ to realise that if he abuses his position to abuse the Human Rights of an American Citizen (Nabulsi), then he will expose him. Believe it there are hundreds even thousands over the years who have suffered the same fate at the hands of other Sheikhs too! Believe it, they just were not as thick as Sheikh Issa Bin Zayed to do it to a Western Nationality from countries that have a free press. This is the only reason this came out...

Nabulsi is the real culprit in this case. The Afgan was a scapegoat that Nabulsi used to create and to defame and blackmail Sheikh Issa Bin Zayed. Nabulsi is a con artist who was methodogically emptying the Sheikhs coffers. The Afgan was one of the suppliers hired by Nabulsi and his gangs to swindle the steal. They were infact looting Sheikh Issa who had placed all trusts in the hands of Nabulsi to run the affairs of his palace.

Only because that this was a case involving the first family of the UAE, people "for" and "against" Sheikh Issa were and are afraid to get involved.

The truth and the heart of the matter lies much deeper my friends.

The jury here in the States would fry his 'behind' just like he did to that man on the video plus they would give that man some monetary compensation!

Does your Jury protect con artists and thieves just because they are Americans?:eek::ermm:

This proves absolutly that there is NO RULE OF LAW in UAE. It proves a vile thourghly corrupt, retarded & unsophisticated rational & reveals the volatile & insecure personalities of the UAE leadership...

Although it is not a democracy.. people live in UAE without fear and in freedom. Compared to most most of the foremost democracies UAE is one the the best places to live in if you abide by the rules.....:ermm:

Where did you hear and read that? To my knowledge nothing from that took place. If Bassam mentioned it, how true could it be?

Bingo!!!!:lol:

Of course sheikhs are not just like every one else. Every one else has to obey the law, sheikhs don't have to. Most sheikhs will behave OK. The problem is that the sheikhs that are not OK and do disgusting things like this Issa, can get away with it since they are protected by the socalled "nice sheikhs":D.
This is not about an individual sheikh being nice or not. The point is that all sheikhs are above the law and can do whatever he wants. That is the system, it simply creates abusive situations like this. I don't see how you can defend it.

I am sorry to say that the law previals for all in UAE. The law protects the innocent in general and police investigates all and any abuses in the UAE, even if it involves the Sheikhs. But ofcourse the line of protocol has to be followed in the case of VVIP's and this is followed and the police department gets the OK to proceed with cases involving VVIP's.

In this instance the police department got into action within hours and all the concerned were interogated without any undue harassement.

If the Afgan had settled out of court then he must have had bigger issues to cover up and most probably taking advantage of the situation. If the Afgan has no allegations why is Nabulsi so interested in the Afgan. He is using the Afgan to get the millions. Nabulsi was no businessman. He was just a sales agent who was trying to sell some gym equipment for the palace gym. He then gained the confidence of Sheikh Issa and managed to become the secretary of Sheikh Issa's palace and from then on he posted all his uneducated family membersin almost all the key positions in the palace and started to loot. It was when his scam was exposed that he was arrested and tried in court. He was given ample time to accept and return what he had stolen but he refused and it then he was arrested and tried.

I am sure if he had accepted and apologised to Sheikh Issa, he would have been pardoned.

i agree that nabulsi was more interested in making money from this than he was interested in human rights, ok he has american passport but his mentality is still that of an lebanese palestinian, i know how this people think and what they do in uae to make money.
bad luck for sheikh eissa that he ran away to usa, if sheikh eissa was that inhuman he would let nabulsi disappear , but i agree a western passport protects you in uae, we are not all the same here.
the police is treating people different that is a fact.my asian housemaid is definetely not treated in the same way like me.
i feel safe and comfortable in uae but maybe as a westerner it is easy to say this.

i agree that nabulsi was more interested in making money from this than he was interested in human rights, ok he has american passport but his mentality is still that of an lebanese palestinian, i know how this people think and what they do in uae to make money.
bad luck for sheikh eissa that he ran away to usa, if sheikh eissa was that inhuman he would let nabulsi disappear , but i agree a western passport protects you in uae, we are not all the same here.
the police is treating people different that is a fact.my asian housemaid is definetely not treated in the same way like me.
i feel safe and comfortable in uae but maybe as a westerner it is easy to say this.

Yes Nabulsi is a thief. All can see he had vile intentions when he took and smuggled the video out. The things are not as it is seen in the video. It was edited to look that way. All his claims of harrasment are untrue. He stole a lot of money from Sheikh Issa and had all along plotted the scheme to blackmail Sheikh Issa. Before his dismissal the accounts of the palace were audited and it was found that he misappropriated huge amounts of money. He was not arrested or harrased. He was only asked to repay the money that he had stollen. When he failed to do so he, a case was charged against him. It was then that the cat was out of the bag.

Under normal circumstances he would have had to spend a longer time in prison for his crime but as you mentioned, being an American citizen, he had requests from the American embassy and his wife requested Sheikh Issa for his release and Sheikh Issa had pardoned him and requested for his release. He and his family left with all their assets.

Under his management he was keeping Sheikh Issa ignorant of the going ons in the palace affairs and also at the same time plotting to defame Sheikh Issa with intentions of black mailing him. That is how he had cunningly plotted against Sheikh Issa and the also cooked up vile stories about Sheikh Issa and the government. The police department under Sheikh Saif is just and are run by capable hands. Only when the law is broken, then they are strict and just. Nabulsi met his justice with the goverment because of his wrong doings and not because of injustice.

Another point about prefrential treatment of different nationalites, it is not the mistake of the UAE government if other embassies do not look after their own people. If the Western governements look after their citizens better than the Asian embassies, it is not the fault of the UAE government. And the number of citizens from asian countries surpasses any of the western countries.

Like I said earlier, UAE is one of the best places to live in if you abide by the rules. Although it is a Muslim state, it is considerate of all other religions of the world. The UAE governmnet allows people of all religions to practice their religion in full freedom and celebrate other religious festivals in freedom. In all my years in UAE I never felt oppressed.

By nature Sheikh Issa is a queit and nature loving person. He loves the dunes and landscape and is very much interested in farming and beautifying his property. He is honest and never misuses his athority or the government machinery. If you are truthful to him, he will do anything to help you nomatter to which category you belong to. We should not crusify him just beacause he is a royal and expect him to be saint. He should be given the chance atleast of a normal human being.

By nature Sheikh Issa is a queit and nature loving person. He loves the dunes and landscape and is very much interested in farming and beautifying his property. He is honest and never misuses his athority or the government machinery. If you are truthful to him, he will do anything to help you nomatter to which category you belong to. We should not crusify him just beacause he is a royal and expect him to be saint. He should be given the chance atleast of a normal human being.

so sheikh eissa should concentrate to beautify his farm in schlickenriedt after his trial is over, i am sure he will enjoy the snow now more than his farm in abu dhabi:lol:where the incdident took place:p

so sheikh eissa should concentrate to beautify his farm in schlickenriedt after his trial is over, i am sure he will enjoy the snow now more than his farm in abu dhabi:lol:where the incdident took place:p

and so he does.........:hmm:
is that a place in germany you are talking about...

and so he does.........:hmm:
is that a place in germany you are talking about...
yes it is a small villlage in south bavaria, he owns a very nnice farm there, have you been there? by the way no one there is scared from sheikh eissa cz no one so far cheated him there:lol: and in that place you dont find americans with lebanese palestinian origin

yes it is a small villlage in south bavaria, he owns a very nnice farm there, have you been there? by the way no one there is scared from sheikh eissa cz no one so far cheated him there:lol: and in that place you dont find americans with lebanese palestinian origin

yes i know the place....... and no I had not gone there....
once he told me the two places he loves most are the dunes of his farm in Al Ain and the other Germany....

you seem to not savvy some ppl..:)

article on Shk. Issa's medication

I have a questions for NKVC. It said in the newspapers online from the UAE that a doctor in Al Ain said that Sheikh Issa is on medicine for some type of mental illness, and that this medicine can cause him to behave violently or erratically at times. Do you know if he was on medication for any illness or if he was known to suffer from a mental disorder?

I watch video is dont peopel right.sheikh issa is dont a good man! He dont love christians when he dont love christians why he buy house and life in christian country.and obama and erdogan say in new york times about sheikh issa what he make is not a normal arap world! Who he is a good men?i hope allah forgive him

All terorisim come from arabic countrys sorry 11september many peopels die !why? Whell sharia in quran dont write kill a peopels from another religion other.sorry i give turkish and christian peopels right.i travel turkey is modern christians orthodox muslim live side by side and help.turks better as why arab

I shy i am from abu dhabi realy i hate shk issa who i watch video and another video who he say christians dont a peopels and laugh watch in youtube

I have a questions for NKVC. It said in the newspapers online from the UAE that a doctor in Al Ain said that Sheikh Issa is on medicine for some type of mental illness, and that this medicine can cause him to behave violently or erratically at times. Do you know if he was on medication for any illness or if he was known to suffer from a mental disorder?

No Sheikh Issa has no mental disorder. He does not take medication for any mental disorder. He had an accident and injured his spinal cord and takes medication for that.

He is not erratic.. he is a very normal person in nature.

All terorisim come from arabic countrys sorry 11september many peopels die !why? Whell sharia in quran dont write kill a peopels from another religion other.sorry i give turkish and christian peopels right.i travel turkey is modern christians orthodox muslim live side by side and help.turks better as why arab

Hello deniz.
Sheikh Issa respects all religions. I am a chirstian who worked under him and he allows my freedom and he speaks about Jesus and how we will be saved. He allows us to go to church and never treated us differently. In Abu Dhabi we go to church on Fridays and he allows me to go on thusrday evening to attend church on Friday.

Another point I wish to say is when the movie, " The Passion of the Christ" was released, it was his father the late Sheikh Zayed Bin Said Al Nayan who viewed the movie and allowed the movie to be shown in UAE. I went to see the movie and while we were coming out of the theater I saw many muslims crying. They are a very passionate people too deniz. Some stray incidents by some lunatics cannot be taken as the general trend of all muslims. I have been in the middle-east for about 25 years. I have very good brothers and sisters from the muslim community. It is not like what you think.

And you must not forget the crusades against chistians was started by Christians themselves. We must not forget we have more than 600 versions of the bible because of the disparities in Christianity and the Muslims have only one book - The Quran.

They do not kill people of other religion in UAE.
This is more prevalent in other countries.. even in Christian countries. There was never a regious riot in UAE. There is no prefrential treatment. All are treated well if not equal. It when people judge with a biased eye that we think that all Muslim countries are fanatics. The general propaganda started by people with vested interest are the ones guilty of creating a division and inciting ill feelings. Crime, injustice against other religion, social unrest and insecurity are less in UAE

I have more Muslim brothers and sister than my own religion and we all live happily together.

Okey,you mean this andg why you dont watch youtube?jesus is prophet isa in quran son from maryam.dont son for good

I shy i am from abu dhabi realy i hate shk issa who i watch video and another video who he say christians dont a peopels and laugh watch in youtube
can you please give me the link for the video? where he says that christians are not human beings?

What NKVC is saying about life in the UAE in respect to religious freedom is correct and true portrayal. It is the same in other GCC countries also, with the exception of Saudi Arabia where there are no churches. People live side by side in the UAE (and other GCC countries) with no problems, even though Islam is the state religion. I have Christian friends in UAE, and I respect them because they have a deep and serious love of God and they live good righteous lives.

Thank you for the reply about his mental state. That was reported in Gulf News and Khaleej Times on their websites.

Back
Top Bottom