Sheikh Issa bin Zayed: torture scandal April 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I'm a seven generation American (My family has been in America for over 7 generations) I guess I just assumed that this kind of behavior was not done anymore. I'm just awgast by this. I guess it's my ignorance of the middle east. I have always been so interested in the Arabian (persian) area and would love more knowledge but I never would have thought in a million years, they would or could still do this.However, my personality is the kind that I see the good in everybody until they prove to me that they are bad. Obviously this Issa guy is BAD but It's hard for me to swallow that all Sheikhs are like this! You are right, I don't want to believe it. It's not me as a person who would believe this.It's just so sad!

I like to see the good side of the people too, but unfortunately as human beings there is a bad side while some others have an evil side, like this sheikh. Mostly of time these people (the royalty) are idealized and we (me) want them to be the perfect ones, I don't know why or maybe it is because the world is just full of bad news that we (me) need to see something good.:ermm:

What is almost as shocking to me is the naivete of many people, & of stary eyed people seeing only what they want to see or what is convenient for them to see... I love the light of truth.
I know I am one of the ones that you think posts fluff, but let me say this: What I see and what I know are two different things. When travelling to the UAE my team (coworkers) and I have our own basic set of rules: (1) NEVER, EVER be alone with a sheikh or a close aide/worker. (2) ALWAYS travel in groups of 3 or more. (3) NEVER accept a drink unless it is an unopened bottle of water. (4) ALWAYS fax ALL paperwork immediately. Send one of our aides out during a meeting if necessary. If the work is done on a computer then email immediately, as in right then and there. Hardcopies are FedExed directly from the hotel upon our return. (5) ALWAYS stay in the same hotel on the same floor with connecting rooms. (6) Stay in constant direct communication with the home offices. (7) The one with the least direct contact carries all passports. Less chance of them disappearing and more chance of getting out. (8) Get the work done and get the heck (just for you Warren) out. I know that in our disagreement earlier you thought I was infringing on your right of speech. Not so. Just because I don't know you does not mean that there is not a concern. This atrocity was over a disagreement of a grain shipment. Worse has happened to others that have only VOICED their dischord/dislike or who are too outspoken. And who would have believed me if the tape had not been released? Please don't anyone be naive enough to believe that a Western passport is protection. It only will provoke a faster response, if nothing else. And not close to the suffering of this poor man. The most common charge will be drugs. That one is like the catchall charge because it usually sticks. It doesn't have to be proven, just charged so they can hold someone.

Since I'm a seven generation American (My family has been in America for over 7 generations) I guess I just assumed that this kind of behavior was not done anymore. I'm just awgast by this. I guess it's my ignorance of the middle east. I have always been so interested in the Arabian (persian) area and would love more knowledge but I never would have thought in a million years, they would or could still do this.However, my personality is the kind that I see the good in everybody until they prove to me that they are bad. Obviously this Issa guy is BAD but It's hard for me to swallow that all Sheikhs are like this! You are right, I don't want to believe it. It's not me as a person who would believe this.It's just so sad!
Not all shiekhs would do something like this, but they will not stop it nor will they stand against it. Their inactions don't mean that they condone it, but they will not go against family. Remember that this is their brother, to convict him they will have to convict others.

And every day when the Abu Dhabi Police had sessions with Bassam Nabulsi in his cell, they sexually asulted him {edit} said "This is from Sheikh Issa Bin Zayed". {edit} then they would photograph him naked to humiliate him, threaten him with imediate death, threatened to kill his Son & to rape then kill his Wife. ...Yes, indeed, Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed... The "Honorable" Abu Dhabi Police serving their country... have performed their duty... & "all the correct procedures & policies were applied." Must feel proud to serve as a Police officer in the UAE. Making their Mother's proud & Sheikh Saif Bin Zayed's Mother must be proud to...

Where did you hear and read that? To my knowledge nothing from that took place. If Bassam mentioned it, how true could it be?

Last edited:
I was really trying to talk my husband into traveling to Dubai for a vacation. I'm now not so sure I want to do that. I don't want to give my hard earned money on a place who tries to show the world they are something they are not. How terribly disappointing!

You know actually it's really sad to see only one thing came out and everyone starts to hate the UAE but these things doesn't only happen in UAE these things happen all over the world... and people who are saying to stop traveling to Abu Dhabi because of this actually are hypocrits (in my eyes) cause in your own country it might just happens too only we don't hear about it and we don't see it.

@drummergirl... you say you and your co workers have these rules just traveling to UAE but i don't agree just to use these rules in UAE, cause all over the world people are like this not only in the UAE..

Now UAE is getting bad eyes and people say oh those sheikhs are horrible and i won't say it's not true it's just that it doesn't only happen in UAE it happens all over the world.

In the tape Nabulsi related how when his working partnership with Sh Issa deteriorated Sh Issa asked for the return of the torture tape that he (Nabulsi) was holding for Sh Issa. Nabulsi told Sh Issa that the tape was destroyed, but Sh Issa did not believe him and that was why Nabulsi was imprisoned. In the last few minutes of the tape, Nabulsi's legal representative relates that the alleged (and I use this term loosely only because a court has not confirmed/convicted) assaults on Nabulsi's person and the threats against his family were in an attempt to regain possession of the tape. *****How true could it be? IMO, the tape speaks for itself as to the lengths that Sh Issa will go if he believes he has been lied to or cheated. For a man, especially an Arab man, to make this claim is humiliating. Not something to take lightly knowing the light that it will cast upon him. To make a sexual assault upon another human being is aggregious. But the list of actions taken against him, and remember that this tape was actually out before the Abu Ghraib incident, is the exact type of actions suffered by those inmates. These actions were told to the American military as the most effective way to insult and humiliate a Muslim/Islamic male during "interrogations" in an attempt to extract information.

You know actually it's really sad to see only one thing came out and everyone starts to hate the UAE but these things doesn't only happen in UAE these things happen all over the world... and people who are saying to stop traveling to Abu Dhabi because of this actually are hypocrits (in my eyes) cause in your own country it might just happens too only we don't hear about it and we don't see it.

@drummergirl... you say you and your co workers have these rules just traveling to UAE but i don't agree just to use these rules in UAE, cause all over the world people are like this not only in the UAE..

Now UAE is getting bad eyes and people say oh those sheikhs are horrible and i won't say it's not true it's just that it doesn't only happen in UAE it happens all over the world.
You are incorrect. I said "when travelling to the UAE" not "just travelling to the UAE". I only mention the UAE as this is the area we are discussing. There are more extreme rules we use for the Baltic areas, but that area is not what we are discussing.

I think one thing has nothing to do with the other. The devil made this atrocity has nothing to do to continue to visit Abu Dhabi.

This has to do with JUSTICE (authorities) and the real essence of Being Human (Sheiks)

But when there is a lot of moneyyyy before any of that matter

If there was any real justice then money or title would not be an issue in the administration of that justice, those that are in a postion of power and abuse that power should be held accountable on a higher level.

If there was any real justice then money or title would not be an issue in the administration of that justice, those that are in a postion of power and abuse that power should be held accountable on a higher level.

Exactly. This is way the UAE will never hear the end of this. Jame Oliver the celebrity TV chef has resigned his position as Abmassador to The Jumeirah Group & deleted as associations to them on his website. I wonder if this is just the beggining.

I would like to think it is just the start. When the Olympics were held in Beijing a lot of the sponsors and celebrities refused to attend due to the Chinese record of human rights violations. Steven Spielberg refused to coordinate the opening ceremony events, the Philharmonic Orchestra refused to perform, and even a few of the athletes from different countries were actually banned by the Chinese government from entering their country due to their activism. It seems that the only way to make an impact large enough for them to listen is a campaign of adverse publicity and the effect it has upon their income.

Fien, if this happened in America, there would be heck (just for Warren) to pay. The American people would not stand for this kind of behavior.The people would know because it would be all over the media. However, that's not exactly why I would chose not to travel there anymore. I am more afraid that I would make a mistake and they would arrest me for something very stupid. Like kissing my husband on the beach. There was a statement not that long ago that said they would be cracking down on those things. I might forget and kiss my husband. Oops, there goes my passport and I'm jailed for who knows how long. That reason and because I don't want to give my hard earned cash out to people who are not deserving and if they don't punish this man, they are not deserving!

They are talking about what would happen if Prince Charles, William Harry did this & European Royals on another site. I'll post the link later.

Does anyone remember the media coverage when Harry wore the Nazi uniform? Or the disparaging remark about a Pakistani team member? I only stay current on certain threads, but there was one royal member that recently denied that the Holocaust even happened and that created a media uproar. I can't remember which one it was. I agree with you, Annastacia, the Western media would continue coverage and the public would demand an outcome. I should once again mention Abu Ghraib. When the pictures and videos were released there was an onslaught of coverage and demands of justice. How ironic that the people that demanded justice are the same ones committing the atrocities.

And the things what is happening in Guantanamo bay and what the Americans did to the people in Afganistan and Iraq? Those were horrible things what did they do to that? But Annastacia i get what you say and why your afraid of traveling to UAE but i see it as their rules which we have to accept if we want to see the country.

and drummer girl i'm sorry i thought you mean just UAE

The Americans did not know about Guantanamo Bay. We were outragged by what we learned. You are right about it being their land though. Point taken.

Let me make one thing clear. This is not a problem of Emiratis or Arabs or Religeon or Culture. You will find ordinary Emiratis as lovely endearing, welcoming people who are as intrinsicly good as people anywhere, who just want to live happy, prosperous peaceful lives. The problem is the Sheikhs... The majority of the big Sheikhs (not every one) but the majority are uterly vile, is almost as if they are not human at all. Horible, horible people who are completely whacko!

Last edited:
Let me make one thing clear. This not a problem of Emiratis or Arabs or Religeon or Cultur. You will find ordinary Emiratis as lovely endearing, welcoming people who are as intrinsicly good as people anywhere, who just want to live happy, prosperous peaceful lives. The problem is the Sheikhs... The majority of the big Sheikhs (not every one) but the majority are uterly vile, is almost as if they are not human at all. Horible, horible people who are completely whacko!

Marrying too many first cousins?

Let me make one thing clear. This is not a problem of Emiratis or Arabs or Religeon or Culture. You will find ordinary Emiratis as lovely endearing, welcoming people who are as intrinsicly good as people anywhere, who just want to live happy, prosperous peaceful lives. The problem is the Sheikhs... The majority of the big Sheikhs (not every one) but the majority are uterly vile, is almost as if they are not human at all. Horible, horible people who are completely whacko!

That is correct. I saw many comments on the youtube video of the Issa bin Zayed against Muslims and Arabs and that's not going with that.

And the things what is happening in Guantanamo bay and what the Americans did to the people in Afganistan and Iraq? Those were horrible things what did they do to that? But Annastacia i get what you say and why your afraid of traveling to UAE but i see it as their rules which we have to accept if we want to see the country.

and drummer girl i'm sorry i thought you mean just UAE
No problem.:flowers: The military personnel shown in the pictures and on tape were automatically court-martialed. One of them was a woman and when she was brought to trial she was pregnant (her boyfriend was the highest ranking military man on the tape). She admitted that someone had told her that if she was pregnant then the courts would be a little more lenient. She was mistaken. She was convicted and received 25 years, they took away her baby and her family gave away the baby in a private adoption to protect the baby. The rest received prison terms from 5 years to life. :nonono: The Afghanistani and Iraqi natives that were hired as "regional consultants" disappeared, they were never seen again. And of course the "intelligence" personnel that was from a multi-national task force just moved on.

Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere when this event took place?

Sheikhs are just like anyone else tommy1. Saying that they are horrible horrible people isnt fair. Do you know them to judge? Doesnt mean because one Sheikh screwed up means other Sheikhs are the same. I just find judging people or saying they are horrible without meeting them is quite unfair IMO. I am not saying that Sheikh Issa is a nice guy, he isnt but that doesnt make his other brothers or other Sheikhs like him.

Last edited:
Can we please stay on topic and not get into Guantanamo Bay & human rights since this topic is about Sheikh Issa bin Zayed and the torture scandal.

Thank you

Dazzling :flowers:
UAE Mod

Guys, four-letter words etc disguised with asterisks * are still four-letter words. Please don't use them in your posts.

thanks,
Warren
Lol, I know its a warning but it still made me chuckle.

I cannot say I'm surprised by this story, I've heard similar stories in the past about other Saudi/UAE royals; not as extreme as this awful case obviously but abuse of staff, workers etc.

There seems to be certain prevailing attitude amongst some of the Gulf royals that they are superior to others and may treat them as they choose. This isn't the first time a royal from this area has been accused of abusing someone.....it won't be the last.

Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere when this event took place?
I remember hearing of it in late 2007, then it just seemed to drift off the radar. The latest article from ABC News states that Sh Issa and the man, Mohammed Shah Poor, have settled out of court, and have settled their differences which means that neither one can decide to press charges against the other. Supposedly Sh Issa had the right to press chrges for theft and fraud, while of course Mohammed Shah Poor had the right to press charges for assault.

Dazzling, please can you tell me why that over the last 2 days, when ever I try to reply directly to your posts, (& I have much to say) that I am being logged out?

Last edited:
I remember hearing of it in late 2007, then it just seemed to drift off the radar. The latest article from ABC News states that Sh Issa and the man, Mohammed Shah Poor, have settled out of court, and have settled their differences which means that neither one can decide to press charges against the other. Supposedly Sh Issa had the right to press chrges for theft and fraud, while of course Mohammed Shah Poor had the right to press charges for assault.

Not attacking you drummergirl but this is just rubbish! Smoke & mirrors. "assault".

Last edited:
Sheikhs are just like anyone else tommy1. Saying that they are horrible horrible people isnt fair. Do you know them to judge? Doesnt mean because one Sheikh screwed up means other Sheikhs are the same. I just find judging people or saying they are horrible without meeting them is quite unfair IMO. I am not saying that Sheikh Issa is a nice guy, he isnt but that doesnt make his other brothers or other Sheikhs like him.

Of course sheikhs are not just like every one else. Every one else has to obey the law, sheikhs don't have to. Most sheikhs will behave OK. The problem is that the sheikhs that are not OK and do disgusting things like this Issa, can get away with it since they are protected by the socalled "nice sheikhs":D.
This is not about an individual sheikh being nice or not. The point is that all sheikhs are above the law and can do whatever he wants. That is the system, it simply creates abusive situations like this. I don't see how you can defend it.

Bettina, I agree with you 100%. You have said some of what I wanted to say. Strange things are happening the last couple of days since I last replied to Dazzling. When I try to reply to Dazzling, I am being logged out. Now it is happening whenever I try to make a post and not just from this computer. It gives me a feeling that my posts may be being filtered for content. Are people affraid that I will reveal "too much" about some of these sheikhs. Dazzling I dissagree with you verehemently. For heaven's sakes! I am aghast! This IS about appalling lack of Human Rights in Abu Dhabi, Dubai & all of the UAE. The UAE Sheikhs seek to present a tolerent, modern & "civilised" country. This makes open & vigourous scrutiny & critique, fair game. That means not dancing around this & other subjects (as is completly the norm in the UAE) but to tackle & take them to task head on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom