The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
And the things what is happening in Guantanamo bay and what the Americans did to the people in Afganistan and Iraq? Those were horrible things what did they do to that? But Annastacia i get what you say and why your afraid of traveling to UAE but i see it as their rules which we have to accept if we want to see the country.

and drummer girl i'm sorry i thought you mean just UAE
No problem. The military personnel shown in the pictures and on tape were automatically court-martialed. One of them was a woman and when she was brought to trial she was pregnant (her boyfriend was the highest ranking military man on the tape). She admitted that someone had told her that if she was pregnant then the courts would be a little more lenient. She was mistaken. She was convicted and received 25 years, they took away her baby and her family gave away the baby in a private adoption to protect the baby. The rest received prison terms from 5 years to life. The Afghanistani and Iraqi natives that were hired as "regional consultants" disappeared, they were never seen again. And of course the "intelligence" personnel that was from a multi-national task force just moved on.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Commoner

Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere when this event took place?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1 View Post
Let me make one thing clear. This is not a problem of Emiratis or Arabs or Religeon or Culture. You will find ordinary Emiratis as lovely endearing, welcoming people who are as intrinsicly good as people anywhere, who just want to live happy, prosperous peaceful lives. The problem is the Sheikhs... The majority of the big Sheikhs (not every one) but the majority are uterly vile, is almost as if they are not human at all. Horible, horible people who are completely whacko!
Sheikhs are just like anyone else tommy1. Saying that they are horrible horrible people isnt fair. Do you know them to judge? Doesnt mean because one Sheikh screwed up means other Sheikhs are the same. I just find judging people or saying they are horrible without meeting them is quite unfair IMO. I am not saying that Sheikh Issa is a nice guy, he isnt but that doesnt make his other brothers or other Sheikhs like him.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Can we please stay on topic and not get into Guantanamo Bay & human rights since this topic is about Sheikh Issa bin Zayed and the torture scandal.

Thank you

Dazzling
UAE Mod
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Guys, four-letter words etc disguised with asterisks * are still four-letter words. Please don't use them in your posts.

thanks,
Warren
Lol, I know its a warning but it still made me chuckle.

I cannot say I'm surprised by this story, I've heard similar stories in the past about other Saudi/UAE royals; not as extreme as this awful case obviously but abuse of staff, workers etc.

There seems to be certain prevailing attitude amongst some of the Gulf royals that they are superior to others and may treat them as they choose. This isn't the first time a royal from this area has been accused of abusing someone.....it won't be the last.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Staimur View Post
Maybe I missed it, but does it say anywhere when this event took place?
I remember hearing of it in late 2007, then it just seemed to drift off the radar. The latest article from ABC News states that Sh Issa and the man, Mohammed Shah Poor, have settled out of court, and have settled their differences which means that neither one can decide to press charges against the other. Supposedly Sh Issa had the right to press chrges for theft and fraud, while of course Mohammed Shah Poor had the right to press charges for assault.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Aristocracy

Dazzling, please can you tell me why that over the last 2 days, when ever I try to reply directly to your posts, (& I have much to say) that I am being logged out?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummergirl View Post
I remember hearing of it in late 2007, then it just seemed to drift off the radar. The latest article from ABC News states that Sh Issa and the man, Mohammed Shah Poor, have settled out of court, and have settled their differences which means that neither one can decide to press charges against the other. Supposedly Sh Issa had the right to press chrges for theft and fraud, while of course Mohammed Shah Poor had the right to press charges for assault.
Not attacking you drummergirl but this is just rubbish! Smoke & mirrors. "assault".
Old 04-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Sheikhs are just like anyone else tommy1. Saying that they are horrible horrible people isnt fair. Do you know them to judge? Doesnt mean because one Sheikh screwed up means other Sheikhs are the same. I just find judging people or saying they are horrible without meeting them is quite unfair IMO. I am not saying that Sheikh Issa is a nice guy, he isnt but that doesnt make his other brothers or other Sheikhs like him.
Of course sheikhs are not just like every one else. Every one else has to obey the law, sheikhs don't have to. Most sheikhs will behave OK. The problem is that the sheikhs that are not OK and do disgusting things like this Issa, can get away with it since they are protected by the socalled "nice sheikhs".
This is not about an individual sheikh being nice or not. The point is that all sheikhs are above the law and can do whatever he wants. That is the system, it simply creates abusive situations like this. I don't see how you can defend it.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Aristocracy

Bettina, I agree with you 100%. You have said some of what I wanted to say. Strange things are happening the last couple of days since I last replied to Dazzling. When I try to reply to Dazzling, I am being logged out. Now it is happening whenever I try to make a post and not just from this computer. It gives me a feeling that my posts may be being filtered for content. Are people affraid that I will reveal "too much" about some of these sheikhs. Dazzling I dissagree with you verehemently. For heaven's sakes! I am aghast! This IS about appalling lack of Human Rights in Abu Dhabi, Dubai & all of the UAE. The UAE Sheikhs seek to present a tolerent, modern & "civilised" country. This makes open & vigourous scrutiny & critique, fair game. That means not dancing around this & other subjects (as is completly the norm in the UAE) but to tackle & take them to task head on.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

TRF is not a vehicle for "open & vigourous scrutiny & critique" of "appalling lack of Human Rights in Abu Dhabi, Dubai & all of the UAE."
If members want to discuss that topic then please do so on another website.

So far we've let this discussion run pretty much as it has been posted, but the Forums are not to be used to pursue other or wider agendas.

thanks.
Warren
TRF Administrator
Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

It appears that I need to reiterate what I have just posted.

This thread is not about al Maktoums, al Qasimis, al Nuaimis or Sheikhs in general, nor is it about political or human rights conditions in the UAE or anywhere else.

Posts continuing this line of discussion will be removed.

Warren
Administrator
Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Oh well, I tried.

Thread closed.

= = = = = = =

To clarify: the thread was closed because members would not keep to the subject of Sheikh Issa, not because we are indulging in "censorship", as has been claimed. This is not the place to discuss the Ruling Family of Dubai, the lack of smiles from the Ruler of Sharjah (or RAK), the supposed arrogance of the al Nuaimis, the Holocaust, Guantanamo, Abu Gharib, Afghanistan, or Prince Harry's Nazi uniform.

When the Administrators and Moderators are confident that members will respect the boundaries of discussion, the thread will be reopened.
In the meantime relevant news material posted elsewhere will be moved to this thread; irrelevant material will be removed.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Wealthy brother of UK football chief linked to gruesome Gulf 'torture tape'

US calls for freeze on government aid to UAE and international anger grows as the half-brother of Manchester City's owner is seen on video shooting at, setting fire to and running over a helpless Afghan he had accused of cheating him in a business deal

Wealthy brother of UK football chief linked to gruesome Gulf 'torture tape' | World news | The Observer
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Gentry

Issa bin Zayed Al Nahyan

Issa bin Zayed Al Nahyan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Commoner

I don't know where to post this so Warren, if it's not in the right spot, please move wherever. BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | UAE to probe sheikh torture tape UAE to probe sheikh torture tape

Here's another good one. I'm happy to see these coming out. We'll see what happens next. AFP: Abu Dhabi vows to probe alleged royalty torture
Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Gulf-news.com article. Link below.

Quote:
Rights group hails positive step of Abu Dhabi Judicial Department
"New York based Human Rights Watch (HRW) has welcomed as a positive step the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department's (ADJD) decision to review a widely circulated filming of the torture of an Afghan trader in the UAE.
The Human Rights Office of the Abu Dhabi Judeicial Department believes that the events depicted on the video appear to represent a violation of human rights and therefore these events should be fully reviewed in their own right," said a statement published on WAM
The Abu Dhabi government "unequivocally condemned" the video that allegedly showed a member of the emirate's ruling family engaging in the abuse.
.... - Article
Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Aristocracy

Sheikh reportedly detained pending torture investigation - CNN.com

CNN.com 10 May 2009
A member of the royal family of Abu Dhabi who was captured on videotape torturing an Afghan grain dealer has reportedly been detained, a senior U.S. State Department official told CNN Saturday.

The official said the government of the United Arab Emirates, which includes Abu Dhabi as one of its seven emirates, told the State Department that Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al Nahyan is under house arrest pending an investigation, but that the United States has not independently confirmed the development.

On Saturday, Human Rights Watch called the sheikh's reported detention "a significant development" but said the UAE government needs to do more to restore confidence in its judicial system.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Commoner

Who is Issa's mother? Which of Zayed's three wives? Or is there another one?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have the latest 411 on this lawsuit?? and is Sheikh Issa, Sheikha Fatimas son?