Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi: Al Nahyan dynasty 2: August 2011 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well,tell Sheikh Hamdan that a simple belt could help him:D
Not that I am not used to men running around with their clothes in complete chaos,but for a future ruler he should at least make sure that his clothes stay with him/on his body all the time when he is in public or being filmed:p
Of course,it was just a private excursion and obviously my eagle-eyes were the only one to spot this,because nobody else noticed...

We had noticed too, but there were not the impression he ran around with his clothes in complete chaos while be filmed in public. .....For the next time we want to give him a belt. ;)

After this funny conversation, it's time to return back to the topic here......

Last edited:
We had noticed too, but there were not the impression he ran around with his clothes in complete chaos while be filmed in public. .....For the next time we want to give him a belt. ;)

->I was not referring to Hamdan when I said that lots of men run around with deranged clothes. Lots of men wear that Hip Hop-style with beggy panst and such stuff,or some run around like punks:p

After this funny conversation, it's time to return back to the topic here......

-> Which topic?
Sheikh Zayed´s style and beard or why the Al nayhan thread is less popular than its Dubai counterpart?:D

Personally I think it is because the Al Nahyans are more discreet and do less press-relation work,they have less press coverage and they maintain less homepages or twitter accounts/facebook fanpages etc.
Obviously,they don´t want to share their life with the public as much as the Dubai sheikhs & sheikhas do.
If you look at S.Mohammed bin Rashid,he has a homepage which has news and media updates almost everyday,a twitter account,facebook,press releases and also the same for most of his sons and some daughters as well. They just have a different approach to the media in general,every family has different opinion on how much they want to involve the media and share pictures etc of their members.

Blauerengel and Imanmajed, I agree with you both, I'm glad Sh.Zayed values his privacy since in our time privacy is incredibly precious...shows just how smart he is :D!!
The great majority of online photos of Sh.Zayed are news agency press coverage from events, initiatives and charities he attends, promotes and supports; I'll point out though that Sh.Zayed doesn't simply 'cut ribbons' or admire paintings...as Chairman & CEO of FAS Airlines and Vice Chairman of S.B.K Holding he works to make his companies successful, the livelihood of all the people who work for him are under his responsability. And then let’s not forget his duties as a Sheikh…all those functions and weddings must be time consuming, but from the smiling pictures, it is clear Sh.Zayed loves to be around his people!
A few ‘private’ photos have been shared, for instance on Instagram, but I’ve noticed that his close family (sisters, brothers, cousins and close friends) are very protective, and will not share a photo without his permission.
As for his brothers and sisters (close family in general) my impression is that everyone seems very level-headed, I think they are appreciative of the public attention but aren’t that fazed about it…after all why waste your time with such trivial persuits??(Note: in line with the strong values of uae women, there are NO photos available of his mother and sisters; I will also point out that they are all highly educated and successful in their own right, so they are a great example of how self respect and personal achievement can go hand in hand in an exterior-orientated world).
I’ve also picked up from random comments here and there, by people who have personally met Sh.Zayed, some infomation about his personality…charismatic, incredibly down to earth, kind and gentle…seem to be recurrent themes.;)

I think it is a good decision to keep the private life private and only share pictures from official events and charity-related occasions,maybe weddings as well as they are a festive occasion that needs to be celebrated & it is nice to share the pictures.

Personally,I am always sad they only show men´s wedding preparations,because I have heard that women´s wedding celebrations are very glamourous and the ladies wear lots of pretty,expensive dresses and jewellery...but of course,UAE women don´t show it to people who are not from family :-(

I think that Dubai is doing all the PR-work because they are relying on tourism to a large extent and while some countries don´t need to heavily advertise to get tourists,Dubai still needs to do lots of media campaigns to attract foreign visitors.
For Vienna I know that we have a very tiny budget for tourism advertisement,even though we largely rely on tourism-but here,most people come because they have been here already several times or because they watched a film about Vienna or for conventions that are very popular in Vienna due to our good quality of life. (And probably,Austria is a more affordable tourism area than the UAE).

Nymeria, you hit the nail! I agree with your observation and views. Abu Dhabi itself is more conservative than Dubai. Even the ruling family feels strongly committed to the traditions and values of the UAE. As you said: "in our time privacy is incredibly precious". I see it as well when someone protects his privacy and that of his family. It is a sign of self-respect, dignity, high level of personal discipline and a strong inner balance. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa al Nahyan is an honorable member of the al Nahyan family and one of the people I personally appreciate very much. He is a very gentle person!

Last edited:
Personally,I am always sad they only show men´s wedding preparations,because I have heard that women´s wedding celebrations are very glamourous and the ladies wear lots of pretty,expensive dresses and jewellery...but of course,UAE women don´t show it to people who are not from family :-(

They show images not publicly, because men have access to the pictures then also. Often it is forbidden for the guests to take private pictures of the event. At the womens weddings the ladies put their concealing clothings off in the hall and wear less covering dresses. Of course, there are also "foreign" people invited to the womens weddings who neither belonging to the family nor are Emirati. So for you as a woman it is no problem to participate in the celebration or to see these images, even if you do not belong to the immediate family. :flowers:

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree-of course they have a similiar facial shape ( after all they are related and from the same caulture and tribe), but if you look closely you see that young Sheikh Zayed has a different nose and also his brows are less bushy and more defined than those of the late Sheikh Zayed.
But they both have two eyes,two ears,black hair and a nose,so yes-they do look very similiar;-)
Lately you disappoint me,Majid-you did notice Princess Haya´s new haircut and colour,but you fail to see the differences in the faces of those two men!Also,in the UAE you see images of them very often,so you should be more acquainted with their face and know the differences better than me.

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree-of course they have a similiar facial shape .......Lately you disappoint me, Majid-you did notice Princess Haya´s new haircut and colour,but you fail to see the differences in the faces of those two men!Also,in the UAE you see images of them very often,so you should be more acquainted with their face and know the differences better than me.

And that's exactly the reason I know better the similarities between the two. It is not only the facial similarities, there are a lot of similarities in outer occurrence, character and nature of both.

Last edited:
And that's exactly the reason I know better the similarities between the two. It is not only the facial similarities, there are a lot of similarities in outer occurrence, character and nature of both.
Well, if we adopt the lenient standards of two brown eyes,two ears,black hair,red lips and a nose in the middle of the face,you also look exactly like Sheikh Zayed :D
Just like the rest of the UAE Royal family members - unless they happen to have light hair or blue/green eyes :)

Well, if we adopt the lenient standards of two brown eyes,two ears,black hair,red lips and a nose in the middle of the face,you also look exactly like Sheikh Zayed :D
Just like the rest of the UAE Royal family members - unless they happen to have light hair or blue/green eyes :)

If you like to understand me wrong.....feel free. But I think, I was clear enough in my previous statement!

When Sh.ZayedSK smiles, I see Baba Zayed.
On Internet I once came across an old black and white photo of Baba Zayed (I’m afraid I searched for it, but couldn’t find it) in his late teens, early twenties sitting on something (maybe a table or was it the back of a truck?), if I remember correctly he’s not wearing the ghutra and he’s looking straight at the photographer ...I wish I could find it so I could share it with you because it’s a beautiful (and heartbreaking) photo…but the first time a saw it I couldn’t help thinking of Sh.ZayedSK and how similar they look (I guess that was the time I fell in love with Sh.ZayedSK!!)
In my opinion the similarities are not in body/facial parts, Sh.ZayedSK surely has his father’s (especially the laughing eyes) and his mother’s (oh my gosh she must be beautiful) features; I think the similarities lie in Sh.ZayedSK’s overall expression and in his mannerisms…I guess for many emiratis of an older generation meeting Sh.ZayedSK must be like a throwback in time, for once again, only for a brief moment, their beloved Baba Zayed is standing in front of them…and then they see Sh.ZayedSK and understand that he is his own man destined for his own greatness, I can only imagine at that point, their heart fills with pride!

Nymeria,please share that picture with us if you can find it,I would love to see it and other people might enjoy it as well.I have only seen pictures of late Sh.Zayed as a mature man,the earliest could be in his mid-twenties/thirty-something (I am not good with guessing ages!) and most of the pictures that come to my mind were made when he was older,already with wrinkles and always surrounded by many tribal leaders or citizens.
I don´t know any picture where he is a teenager or adolescent,so maybe that would help me to see more similiarities between young Zayed and late Zayed-because I fail to see them in their appearance, while I am sure that they are similiar in character and the way that they are serving their country!
Also, I agree with you that young Sheikh Zayed´s mother must be very beautiful, he surely inherited lots of her looks as well as his father´s manners and appearance.

Last edited:
When Sh.ZayedSK smiles, I see Baba Zayed.
On Internet I once came across an old black and white photo of Baba Zayed (I’m afraid I searched for it, but couldn’t find it) in his late teens, early twenties sitting on something (maybe a table or was it the back of a truck?), if I remember correctly he’s not wearing the ghutra and he’s looking straight at the photographer ...I wish I could find it so I could share it with you because it’s a beautiful (and heartbreaking) photo…but the first time a saw it I couldn’t help thinking of Sh.ZayedSK and how similar they look (I guess that was the time I fell in love with Sh.ZayedSK!!) In my opinion the similarities are not in body/facial parts, Sh.ZayedSK surely has his father’s (especially the laughing eyes) and his mother’s (oh my gosh she must be beautiful) features; I think the similarities lie in Sh.ZayedSK’s overall expression and in his mannerisms…I guess for many emiratis of an older generation meeting Sh.ZayedSK must be like a throwback in time, for once again, only for a brief moment, their beloved Baba Zayed is standing in front of them…and then they see Sh.ZayedSK and understand that he is his own man destined for his own greatness, I can only imagine at that point, their heart fills with pride!

So true! You filled my heart with joy! :flowers::hug:

But they both have two eyes,two ears,black hair and a nose,so yes-they do look very similiar;-)
Lately you disappoint me,Majid-you did notice Princess Haya´s new haircut and colour,but you fail to see the differences in the faces of those two men!Also,in the UAE you see images of them very often,so you should be more acquainted with their face and know the differences better than me.

You have a right to disagree, but I find the way you delivered your disagreement to be quite grating and harsh, while also judging another person based on their opinion. We can all have our different opinions while still being peaceful to one another. :flowers:

Dear Kalila18,I know you only had the best intentions,but Imanmajid is old enough to speak for himself ;-)
By the way,we do have a certain way of joking around and using irony to say what we mean, so for outsiders our messages might seem a little bit strange but we have no bad feelings or intentions. We can manage our discussions without the help of other people as we are both civilised,educated individuals with a mind of our own,so don´t worry :)

Last edited:
Dear Kalila18,I know you only had the best intentions,but Imanmajid is old enough to speak for himself ;-)

Majid is old enough to thank warmly at Kalila for her foresight, good graces and open, friendly attitude. :flowers: Sorry blauerengel, but I agree with Kalila in all points, even if I have no bad feelings or intentions against you! Kalila´s respect for the dignity of others is priceless....:hug:

Last edited:
Ataya exhibition starts next month

Under the patronage of Shaikha Shamsa Bint Hamdan Al Nahyan, assistant to the President of Red Crescent Authority for Women’s Affairs, the fair will be held in Abu Dhabi Country Club from May 6-9 to highlight the need to improve the lives of children and adults, who suffer from the disorder so they can lead meaningful and bright life.

Ataya exhibition to focus on autistic children | GulfNews.com

I am quite sure that the first two men are brothers,you can see it in their face and they both have "bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan" after their first name! (bin=son of;Khalifa bin Zayed is the father and al Nayhan the name of the tribe they belong to!)
Over time you will get used to this system of names and you will better know your way around,also it tells you about the heritage of the people you meet- if you meet Sh.Khalifa bin Zayed for instance,you know that his father´s name is "Zayed"-in this case it is the name of the founder of the UAE, a very important person for every Emirati! If you meet a lady she will have her first Name + BINT + father´s name +Al ....(tribe) and by the name of the tribe you will know where they come from-Al Nayhans usually come from Abu Dhabi,Al Maktoums are residing in Dubai,in Ajman you have Al Nuaimi dynasty :flowers:

The third man is not the brother of Sh Sultan & Mohamed of whom you posted the pictures,Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the President of the UAE!
I hope I didn´t mess up any informations,even after reading lots of information and seeing many pictures I often get confused with family relations,so don´t worry if you don´t recognize every face and name immediately:)

Just for the sake of completion:If you meet an Arab lady ,they also sometimes use their husbands name, but they never "lose" their name like in old European tradition were you give up your family name for the man.Example:Queen Rania is using "Rania al Abdulla" on her twitter profile: https://twitter.com/Queenrania

Last edited:
Just for the sake of completion:If you meet an Arab lady ,they also sometimes use their husbands name, but they never "lose" their name like in old European tradition were you give up your family name for the man.

Arab ladies never "use" their husbands names. Maybe you mean things like: Princess Haya, the wife of Sheikh Mohammed bR al Maktoum. In this case, you are right!

Well,Queen Rania is using "Rania Al Abdullah",but maybe that kind of combining her first name with the husband´s name is not so usual in Gulf countries.

Well,Queen Rania is using "Rania Al Abdullah",but maybe that kind of combining her first name with the husband´s name is not so usual in Gulf countries.

Right, it is very unusual in Gulf countries.

No, I think your eyesight is good,it is not a fata morgana-Haya is wearing an abaya :) You must be pleased now,right?
If you look at the next pictures,I believe we can see Sheikha Latifa,the show jumper,wearing a red shirt and blanc shorts with riding boots and the guy in uniform / riding suit next to her must be her brother or another contestant, I am not sure though. Maybe we get to see more pictures and videos of the jumps!

Last edited:

The first two gentlemen are:
-H.H.Sh.Sultan bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
-H.H.Sh.Mohammed bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
They are brothers and I believe 'full' brothers, H.H.Sh.Sultan is the eldest.

The third gentleman is H.H.Sh.Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, he is the father of the previous two gentlemen, the President of the UAE and the Emir of Abu Dhabi.
Note for clarity: Abu Dhabi is an emirate, intended as a geographical region, the capital city of this emirate carries the same name, the city of Abu Dhabi;
-H.H.Sh.Khalifa is the Emir of the emirate of Abu Dhabi
-H.H.Sh.Khalifa is also the President of the UAE, a federation of 7 emirates each one ruled by it's own Emir, the emirate of Abu Dhabi being one of them.

It may seem ignorant to ask, but the animal representing the Al Nahyans (which is posted at the beginning of this thread),should it symbolize an eagle or a falcon? To me it looks more like a falcon,it would also make more sense because every man in the family seems to enjoy falconry,but most other royal houses and countries use an eagle for their flag...
I hope that I don´t upset anyone with this question,but the meaning of the pictogram is not completely clear for me:)

It may seem ignorant to ask, but the animal representing the Al Nahyans (which is posted at the beginning of this thread),should it symbolize an eagle or a falcon? To me it looks more like a falcon,it would also make more sense because every man in the family seems to enjoy falconry,but most other royal houses and countries use an eagle for their flag...
I hope that I don´t upset anyone with this question,but the meaning of the pictogram is not completely clear for me:)

Blauerengel, like all TRF members, you are more than welcome to post any question that is relevant to the topic in discussion (Al Nahyan ruling family in this case) and you may post in accordance to the TRF rules.

I am quite sure the animal depicted in the emblem is a falcon.
I found this article that may give you more information on the topic:
Abu Dhabi's new emblem: different logo, same vision - The National

Back
Top Bottom