The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber princess View Post
I am quite sure that the first two men are brothers,you can see it in their face and they both have "bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan" after their first name! (bin=son of;Khalifa bin Zayed is the father and al Nayhan the name of the tribe they belong to!)
Over time you will get used to this system of names and you will better know your way around,also it tells you about the heritage of the people you meet- if you meet Sh.Khalifa bin Zayed for instance,you know that his father´s name is "Zayed"-in this case it is the name of the founder of the UAE, a very important person for every Emirati! If you meet a lady she will have her first Name + BINT + father´s name +Al ....(tribe) and by the name of the tribe you will know where they come from-Al Nayhans usually come from Abu Dhabi,Al Maktoums are residing in Dubai,in Ajman you have Al Nuaimi dynasty

The third man is not the brother of Sh Sultan & Mohamed of whom you posted the pictures,Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the President of the UAE!
I hope I didn´t mess up any informations,even after reading lots of information and seeing many pictures I often get confused with family relations,so don´t worry if you don´t recognize every face and name immediately:-)

Just for the sake of completion:If you meet an Arab lady ,they also sometimes use their husbands name, but they never "lose" their name like in old European tradition were you give up your family name for the man.Example:Queen Rania is using "Rania al Abdulla" on her twitter profile: https://twitter.com/Queenrania

. Helen Keller
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Just for the sake of completion:If you meet an Arab lady ,they also sometimes use their husbands name, but they never "lose" their name like in old European tradition were you give up your family name for the man.
Arab ladies never "use" their husbands names. Maybe you mean things like: Princess Haya, the wife of Sheikh Mohammed bR al Maktoum. In this case, you are right!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Royal Highness

Well,Queen Rania is using "Rania Al Abdullah",but maybe that kind of combining her first name with the husband´s name is not so usual in Gulf countries.
. Helen Keller
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well,Queen Rania is using "Rania Al Abdullah",but maybe that kind of combining her first name with the husband´s name is not so usual in Gulf countries.
Right, it is very unusual in Gulf countries.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Commoner

Masha'Allah, Sh.MohammedSK looks like an angel!
Photo by zayedbinsultan_fans • Instagram

H.H.Princess Haya, H.H.Dr.Sh.SultanKZ and Sh.KhalifaSK:
HiaMag"
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymeria View Post
Masha'Allah, Sh.MohammedSK looks like an angel!Photo by zayedbinsultan_fans • Instagram
H.H.Princess Haya, H.H.Dr.Sh.SultanKZ and Sh.KhalifaSK:
HiaMag"
Mashallah, indeed! Thanks for sharing these beautiful images. It is a optical illusion or Princess Haya wears an abaya? I love it when she does it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

No, I think your eyesight is good,it is not a fata morgana-Haya is wearing an abaya :-) You must be pleased now,right?
If you look at the next pictures,I believe we can see Sheikha Latifa,the show jumper,wearing a red shirt and blanc shorts with riding boots and the guy in uniform / riding suit next to her must be her brother or another contestant, I am not sure though. Maybe we get to see more pictures and videos of the jumps!
. Helen Keller
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Commoner

The first two gentlemen are:
-H.H.Sh.Sultan bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
-H.H.Sh.Mohammed bin Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
They are brothers and I believe 'full' brothers, H.H.Sh.Sultan is the eldest.

The third gentleman is H.H.Sh.Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, he is the father of the previous two gentlemen, the President of the UAE and the Emir of Abu Dhabi.
Note for clarity: Abu Dhabi is an emirate, intended as a geographical region, the capital city of this emirate carries the same name, the city of Abu Dhabi;
-H.H.Sh.Khalifa is the Emir of the emirate of Abu Dhabi
-H.H.Sh.Khalifa is also the President of the UAE, a federation of 7 emirates each one ruled by it's own Emir, the emirate of Abu Dhabi being one of them.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

It may seem ignorant to ask, but the animal representing the Al Nahyans (which is posted at the beginning of this thread),should it symbolize an eagle or a falcon? To me it looks more like a falcon,it would also make more sense because every man in the family seems to enjoy falconry,but most other royal houses and countries use an eagle for their flag...
I hope that I don´t upset anyone with this question,but the meaning of the pictogram is not completely clear for me:-)
. Helen Keller
Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It may seem ignorant to ask, but the animal representing the Al Nahyans (which is posted at the beginning of this thread),should it symbolize an eagle or a falcon? To me it looks more like a falcon,it would also make more sense because every man in the family seems to enjoy falconry,but most other royal houses and countries use an eagle for their flag...
I hope that I don´t upset anyone with this question,but the meaning of the pictogram is not completely clear for me:-)
Blauerengel, like all TRF members, you are more than welcome to post any question that is relevant to the topic in discussion (Al Nahyan ruling family in this case) and you may post in accordance to the TRF rules.

I am quite sure the animal depicted in the emblem is a falcon.
I found this article that may give you more information on the topic:
Abu Dhabi's new emblem: different logo, same vision - The National
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Royal Highness

I was also sure it depicts a falcon,but not 100 % sure;-)
I prefer the emblem that you posted in the link,to me it seems more artful and less bulky than the old one,the colours are nice (I only miss green for the UAE flag...) but in this new picture the falcon is more precise and does not look so similiar to an eagle.The beak,typical feathers and wings are well-done,much better than the old one!Also thanks for providing the information for this symbolic emblem.
How do you like the new emblem,Nymeria?
. Helen Keller
Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

Can you boost handsomeness? Yes, of course. Maybe you will find a possible answer here:

Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa al Nahyan 1

Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa al Nahyan 2

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Haha,I don´t think that Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa is easy to top,imanmajed;-)
He has a very expressive face,he could easily work as an actor because he can represent so many different emotions and convey feelings with his eyes and body language.Also,he has what Tyra Banks calls "smize"-smiling with your eyes,if you understand what I mean?
Only,in the second linked picture he looks a little bit annoyed,maybe his horse didn´t fare well at a race or something else was not going the way he planned it...
. Helen Keller
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Abu Dhabi's Falcon Aviation Services Plan Fleet Changes | Tarsus Group
You will see changes in the Falcon Aviation fleet in the short term,”-Sheikh Zayed
The company currently operates a helicopter fleet which includes a Bell 412EP, an Augusta A109S Grand, a Eurocopter EC-130B4 and a Eurocopter EC-135 Hermes. It’s fixed wing fleet boasts an Embraer Lineage 1000, and Embraer Legacy 600 and a Gulfstream 450.
. Helen Keller
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Haha,I don´t think that Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa is easy to top,imanmajed;-) He has a very expressive face,he could easily work as an actor because he can represent so many different emotions and convey feelings with his eyes and body language.Also,he has what Tyra Banks calls "smize"-smiling with your eyes,if you understand what I mean?

Quote:
Only,in the second linked picture he looks a little bit annoyed,maybe his horse didn´t fare well at a race or something else was not going the way he planned it...
For me he is in a sublime, reposing, graceful and resting in themselves state. "A little bit annoyed" looks different with us......

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
Can you boost handsomeness? Yes, of course. Maybe you will find a possible answer here:

Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa al Nahyan 1

Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa al Nahyan 2
As someone in the Instagram comments aptly put it "handsomeness overdose"!!!

I hope this makes your day!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
...Oh boy, does he make me giggle...
(Beware, Sh.ZayedSK's Facebook Fan Page isn't the most reliable source of information concerning Sh.ZayedSK).

And some news:
Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahyan praises Sharjah's support of UAE's culture and heritage - Zawya
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

(Beware, Sh.ZayedSK's Facebook Fan Page isn't the most reliable source of information concerning Sh.ZayedSK).

And some news:
Zayed bin Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahyan praises Sharjah's support of UAE's culture and heritage - Zawya
Hamdsomness overdose takes the cake! So cute and the phrase fits so well!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I love when he smiles! Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

...Thanks for sharing,Nymeria!What a funny picture-even though I must say that I expected something more "adventurous",maybe some picture where he is doing that crazy Harlem-Shake or something of that sort
But really,I am glad that he is not doing such things-or if he does,at least not in the public...!He seems to me rather conservative and traditional in his behavior,which I find good-especially in his position. (Conservative behavior and lifestyle do not have to be mutually exclusive with modern ideas and innovative thinking!)

@Imanmajed-how do you think a really angry face looks like? I thought that Arabs don´t like to show their feelings in public and therefore you have to look at the subtle details like crossed lines on the forehead or angry eyes...but maybe I am wrong:-)
. Helen Keller
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
@Imanmajed-how do you think a really angry face looks like? I thought that Arabs don´t like to show their feelings in public and therefore you have to look at the subtle details like crossed lines on the forehead or angry eyes...but maybe I am wrong:-)
Maybe I should post a picture of that.....You have to look at discreet details. Normally we hide our negative and adverse feelings in public to preserve our dignity, honor, reputation and pride. If you feel that our eyes changed to very black, very dark and surrounded by a strange glow accompanied by a extraordinary tongue clicking, then we are angry....or at least do not agree. Also common is to leave the room unannounced or/and stay disappeared for a while. If we remain silent abruptly during an animated discussion, then its also has importance. If we pull our eybrows up it means a "no, not in this way". It may happen that someone is pulling his clothes before chest. It says: "Without me!" We are master in indirect communication and strive to save the face. Emphasis is placed on avoiding open conflict. But if someone makes us very, very, very angry then maybe sometime we lost our inner balance openly. But it happens seldom.

Tags
abu dhabi royals, abu dhabi sheikhas, abu dhabi sheikhs, al nahyan, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, uae royals, young, zayed