The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

may he rest in peace.

Old 11-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Courtier

I'm not sure whether this artist is the same man mentioned in one of the articles, nevertheless I found what he had to say about Baba Zayed interesting and insightful. An excerpt:

In a fitting gesture of farewell to the late President His Highness Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, a UAE-based artist ...

who has spent the last 25 years of his life crafting some 1,222 painstaking paintings and murals of Shaikh Zayed has created a unique art work on the life and times of the great leader, which he intends to present to the bereaved family of the late President shortly.

A tearful Liaqat Ali Khan, broke down as he spoke about his favourite artistic subject — Shaikh Zayed: 'To me he was my 'baba' (father), and what he has given to the people of Abu Dhabi and the UAE, will remain his legacy for years to come. I will never forget how one day, when I was at his palace for some work as part of my duties at the Abu Dhabi Municipality & Town Planning's Department of Agriculture, I saw his car passing down the drive to the gate, when suddenly security men chased away a man who had wandered in asking for water. Shaikh Zayed, who saw all this from afar, stopped the car at the gate and asked them what the trouble was, upon hearing that they had turned out someone who had come in search of water, he ordered them to go and find the man and bring him back, saying: 'What will he think, he came to the President's house for water and was actually turned away!' Such compassion for the ordinary people, was what made Shaikh Zayed truly a leader of his people.'

The artist, who has just completed work on his largest work yet — 12 picture panels of Shaikh Zayed's life from 1948, which is 400 feet high and 50 feet wide, amounting to a total area of 20,000 square feet, done using synthetic oil enamel.

'The last picture shows Shaikh Zayed sitting in his court, with his subjects sitting before him, content. I wanted to present this to him during Eid this year, but that was not to be,' Khan lamented.

Khan recalled the one occasion when he did actually get to meet his idol in the flesh... 'For me it was a dream come true, in 1997, I was asked to come to Al Bahar Palace, to meet Shaikh Zayed and present him with a painting I had done of him. It was one which outlined in pictures what he had done for the people of the country and for the world. So taken up was he with my explanation of what they were all about that he stood there for some 15 minutes looking at the painting and taking my hand repeatedly, he told me he had known me by my name, but never had the pleasure of meeting me. He asked me what it was he could do for me — a hospital or school in my village, etc. I told him I had only come to meet him, and wanted his long life and good health. Regardless, he gave me Dh1,00,000, as a goodwill gesture. What was even more wonderful, was the fact that although he was supposed to meet me for just 20 minutes, he sat and talked to me for almost two-and-a-half hours finally! His compassion, his humaneness and his deep love for his people was something that came through even to an ordinary person like me, the memories of that meeting are something I will always cherish,' he recalled nostalgically.

Liaqat Ali Khan who has earlier staked his claim to the Guinness Book of World Records, with his gigantic portrait of the late President at the Abu Dhabi Corniche, has been working at the Municipality for over 23 years, and is a degree holder in fine arts from the University of Peshawar.

For the past several years, Khan has been creating some mural or painting of Shaikh Zayed to coincide with the UAE National Day and Accession Day, and also gifting them to the late President on auspicious occasions like Ramadan and Eid.

'His face is etched in my heart and in the hearts of the people of this great country, and we will, I am sure remember forever, the greatness and simplicity of this man who is really the Father of the Nation, in every sense of the word,' he said.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Gentry

Unhappy

La La,thank you for articles about Sheikh Zayed.May God bless his soul.He was so great!I`m still crying...He was very charismatic and noble.He was real knight .Knight of the desert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00220.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	54472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zz7.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	54474  
Old 11-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Courtier

I offer you my heartfelt condolences, Samira. I was crying yesterday too. I still can't believe he's left us.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by La la
I offer you my heartfelt condolences, Samira. I was crying yesterday too. I still can't believe he's left us.
Thank you.My condolences to you,La La and to the people of Emirates.Sometimes I think he was a good angel sent by God to make this land a paradise.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Courtier

I could only get hold of these two pictures, from Nov 3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	emiratiwomen.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	54692  
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg baba.jpeg (193.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I could only get hold of these two pictures, from Nov 3.
La la,what do you mean ? Haven`t you seen pics on WAM,from Nov3?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Gentry

Unhappy

I think I saw sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed crying.[/QUOTE]Yes,you`re right he was crying.May God help them to go through these sad and tragic days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1036.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	54730   Click image for larger version

Name:	1011.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	54731   Click image for larger version

Name:	1008.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	54732  
Old 11-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by samira
La la,what do you mean ? Haven`t you seen pics on WAM,from Nov3?
Yes, but they didn't cover the commoners. I love to see more pictures of the mourning people on the street. Thanks for the pictures of Sheikh Hamdan and Sheikh Mo. I haven't seen them before. I love the fact that he's crying openly. So cute! :o
Old 11-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Yes, but they didn't cover the commoners. I love to see more pictures of the mourning people on the street. Thanks for the pictures of Sheikh Hamdan and Sheikh Mo. I haven't seen them before. I love the fact that he's crying openly. So cute! :o
Here you can see the commoners.From 9 to 14. From 1 to 9 are pictures of Al Nanyans and the dignitaries.
http://www.emi.ae/sh-zayed/gallery1.asp?page=9
Old 11-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by samira
Here you can see the commoners.From 9 to 14. From 1 to 9 are pictures of Al Nanyans and the dignitaries.
http://www.emi.ae/sh-zayed/gallery1.asp?page=9
Thank you! Thank you! :)
Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Thank you! Thank you! :)
You`re welcome !
Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Courtier

The Desert Weeps

Today the palm shed her tears
On news of a distant, whom in our hearts remains near
How are his children, when on them tragedy fell?
Our tears showered a dry desert until it be wet
We lost a wise man, a heroic man, he was our father
Yes we lost him and so did all humanity
Zayed of you there be pages of love in history

A caring Shaikh
Who taught a nation love and kindness
Oh father of the land, her past and present
You gave the land all her splendour

If death is a bridge over which you have crossed
To befriend you in death, impatiently we wait
God denies gifts and grants gifts generously
Though never has Allah given a greater gift than Zayed
Or denied us a more valuable gift than Zayed
And never was a nation happier than among Zayed
Or wept more than on the loss of Zayed

From A. N. Al Nahyan
Old 11-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Courtier

In time of silence
The mosques are silent now.
The last quavering notes
Settle into a whisper
On the warm Arabian night.
The streets lie still,
No impatient sounds of man and machine
To shatter this moment
in time as a nation weeps.
Tendrils of silence
Brush past,
At once alarming yet reassuring,
A bird cries into the night, and settles again.
Such silence.
He flew as the falcon.
Straight, true,
Visionary,
Pitching, soaring, riding the winds
Of time,
So sure of his course,
Father to his people.
A man amongst men.
I knew him not,
Yet I know him well.
He taught us all
The lessons of dignity, humanity, compassion.
Statesman of the world,
Shaikh Zayed, I salute you.
And now as dawn breaks,
And the Eastern rays peep over the peaceful sea,
I wait for the mosque call
To bring me comfort
As I, too, gently weep.
From Ms C. Grainger
Fujairah
Old 11-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Courtier

"The Desert Weeps" really made me weep. I was completely taken by this and another poem written by an expatriate. Interesting initials indeed. Does anybody know who this A.N Al Nahyan could be? Sheikh Zayed has a son named Nahyan right? Could be one of his grandchildren?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Courtier

You let us shine

A stranger that I was, you welcomed me
Into your midst; dignity that was sore
And almost lost once, you regained for me;
And for others too who reached your shore.
No one you returned empty-handed
Hard work we gave, blessings you shared
We felt at home in your midst undoubtedly,
More than we did in our own lands.
When the glitter and perils of the world
Fast deplete human qualities; great leaders
Hard to come by; you shone well above all
Those who forgot the values they vowed to stand for.
In you we found a true human to the core
A leader envisioning only the best for his people
Where our own leaders failed to inspire and guide
We found inspiration and guidance in your simple self.
We were blessed to feel your love and care for people
I wish we could carry a little spark from your vision
If that little spark could spread like fire
In a world that thirsts for leaders like you.
It is a Father that we have lost with your death
Adopted we may be, nevertheless we mourn with
Your sons of this land a land we wish and pray
Will continue to shimmer and shine the Zayed way.
From Ms T. Anthony
Abu Dhabi
Old 11-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Commoner

who is A.N al nahyan?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Gentry

La la,tank you for posting these beautiful poems.I want to add Sheikh Mohammed`s eulogy for Sheikh Zayed.

For My Father, My Leader, My Teacher

I never imagined that one day I would have to write an obituary for my master, father, teacher and leader. Nor did I ever imagine that my soul would announce the passing of the man who filled my soul with his brilliant presence until it merged and melted into his soul, becoming part of him as he became my whole existence and the essence of my soul.

By Allah, if death would accept a ransom, I would sacrifice my life for Zayed. If years of life could be offered, I would grant him the years of my youth and the sweetest days of my life.

O Merciful Allah! We submit to Your Will and Judgment with contented and acquiescent hearts but we are truly bereaved and the departure of our dearest beloved causes our hearts to bleed.

O Wise Allah! We accept Your Will but we are deeply wounded by the loss of the man You chose to lead our homeland, he upon whose hands rose the country, to which he was so faithful.

What words, what expressions can convey our anguish and our enduring affection for a lifetime we lived with Zayed, knowing no leader but him, no teacher of his stature, no head of state of his solidity, wisdom, patience, resolve and dignity?

Sheikh Zayed is absent in body, but his soul and memory will live on forever, inspiring us, giving us strength and pushing us forward.

The body is absent, but our Sheikh is ever present in the state he built, the nation he established and the example he set.

The body is absent but our Sheikh is still present in the factories, farms, parks and beaches, in our children’s first steps to school, university and workplace, on the first page of the homeland’s book, in the first line of the anthem at the hoisting of the flag.

O Sir whose influence extends from Ma’rib Dam to the precincts of the Aqsa Mosque, from the banks of the Nile and the Tigris to the schools, universities, mosques and factories throughout our vast Islamic world.

Wherever we turn, O Master, we see you in the eyes of your people, which sparkle even more with tears, revealing a never-ending reserve of love and an inexhaustible spring of loyalty.

Whichever way we turn, we hear your voice, so dear to the soul, and your words, vibrant with the essence of wisdom, love, advice, guidance and good counsel.

With you, my Master, our souls towered, our resolve flew high and the Emirates held its head high among the states of the world.

How can we not be proud of ourselves when we have you, the pure Arab, the true Muslim, the leader who inherited all virtues and added to them, the politician who combined politics with principles and morals, upholding them among his people and nation both in thought and deed.

How can we not be proud of ourselves when you have steered the homeland’s ship through turbulent seas and gales and, with your steadfastness and vision, led it to safety and security.

You are absent, my father, from our sight, but you are still present in the warmest, fastest-beating and most intimate corners of the hearts because yours was a noble story running through the veins of history and the homeland, a story comprised of your achievements, character, convictions, virtues and good deeds, which are known far and wide.

“Allah always loves those who are loved by their fellowmen.”

I bear witness that you have won the love of your people, of our Arab and Islamic nations, as no other leader has. We take solace in the fact that you will always be with us, existing in your faithful sons and loving people.

We take solace in the inheritors of your virtues, Sheikh Khalifa and his brothers.

We take solace in the foundations you established as permanent sources of good deeds, an endorsement of a saying by our prophet (may peace be upon him): “A human being’s deeds end with his death except for three: steady charity, useful knowledge and a righteous son who prays for him.” You, our great departed beloved, have all three and more.

We promise you, Sir, we shall always be as you wanted us to be: a consolidated and loving family.

We shall give without limit, take the side of justice, reject injustice and work in this land for the good of our country and our countrymen and for the progress and dignity of our nation.

“For Allah what He has given and for Allah what He has reclaimed. Everything with Him is by appointed date.” And we are satisfied with the Will of Allah, accepting what has befallen us. We do not speak except to utter that which pleases Almighty Allah. “But give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, who say, when afflicted by calamity: ‘To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.’”
Old 11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Thank you, Samira! May I know where did you find this eulogy?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Thank you, Samira! May I know where did you find this eulogy?
http://www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae/