Links, Fanart and Videos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bird in the picture is a kind of grouse or quail. Shot on a hunt in England / Scotland. With this animal you don´t hunt, but it is hunted by you. ;) It is one the smallest types of pheasants. Based on the coat pattern and the size of Sheikh Hamdans catch, it is a female. This small bird isn´t responsible for the scar on his eyebrow.....

Thank you! I don´t know that kind of birds that well,I am more acquainted with singing birds,ducks,falcons (we have many different kinds of falcons who look & hunt differently),buzzards and eagles-because we have a lot of them in Austria! Especially close to the highway you often see small falcons or buzzards,I believe they are waiting for other birds to be knocked over by cars,but I am not sure,maybe they just like to watch the speed of the cars...

Here is a picture of a grouse whose colour looks similiar to Hamdan´s catch: BfN | NaturSportInfo | Informationen zu Birkhuhn

I also think Sheikh Hamdan´s photomodel-bird is/was a female because they are usually smaller and less colourful,male grouses have beautiful head "accessoires",almost all birds have a prettier male than females who are smaller and with less interesting coloured feathers...
Here is a pretty picture of Austrian "Hazel-grouses" (Haselhuhn in German) that clearly shows the different looks of f&m: http://austria-forum.org/attach/Wis...Haselhuhn/scaled-600x460_37_100_Haselhuhn.jpg

When you chose a bird for falconry do you prefer males or females? I think females must be easier to train while male birds are more impressive for their size & feathers!Can you tell us?
In Hamburg I have seen many "Wanderfalken",they have a bird protection area around the airport -creating such protected natural reservates is a great idea,however around the airport not very smart because they have a lot of bird strikes:sad:
That doesn´t only kill/injure the birds but also creates a huge danger for the pilots & their passengers when they depart or arrive with the airplanes...
In other airports they hire people to make the birds fly away and sometimes they also shoot at them-either with blank ammunition or real one....

A bit out of topic but how did Sheikh Hamdan actually got his scar on the eyebrow?

I don´t know how,I was just making a silly joke when I said that maybe he got picked on by a bird....

I also don´t know when he got it-we would need to take a look back at the pictures till we see it.Or maybe imanmajed can fill us in,as he was so sure that it was not a "bird strike" :D

Here is a picture from 2006 where you can clearly see his brows are intact: Hamdan bin Rashid orders severe penalties for traffic violatorsUAE - The Official Web Site - News

Whatever (Whoever? :boxing: broken-:heart:ed woman?!?) was responsible for that scar-It must have happened somewhere in 2007...

Last edited:
The scar was there long befor 2006 , I think this photo either was photoshopped or taking in a way that did not show the scar.

Well,than it probably happened during his childhood,nothing exceptional-only that it is visible in his face,but for a man I think a few scars don´t diminish his beauty,sometimes a few scars can add to the charms and tell a story:)
My brother fell on the radiator when he was very young,he was sent to hospital and his wound was stitched,however he still has a little scar on his head-but it is only visible to ppl who know.

When you chose a bird for falconry do you prefer males or females? I think females must be easier to train while male birds are more impressive for their size & feathers!Can you tell us?

Female falcons are better for hunting. This selection has nothing to do with the trainability. Females hunt more aggressive and more successful than males. That's the reason why we prefer to choose female falcons.

Last edited:
In pictures: Earth Hour in the UAE

Major landmarks including Zayed Grand Mosque and Burj Khalifa go dark for an hour: In pictures: Earth Hour in the UAE | GulfNews.com

Earth Hour sees landmarks go dark in Abu Dhabi | GulfNews.com

Thanks for the pictures,I had to look for a very long time at the first one to recognize it is a human wrist with some kind of watch-isn´t it?
Especially Shaikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi looks great at night,very beautiful!Nice to see that so many ppl are coming together,making music and having a great time-in Austria we didn´t have many gatherings outside for the simple reason that winter struck back! (Yes-we did already have some pleasant springlike days full of sun...!) But now with all the snow and wind it´s not comfortable to spend much time outside unless you are doing some kind of sport to keep warm!

Thanks for the pictures,I had to look for a very long time at the first one to recognize it is a human wrist with some kind of watch-isn´t it?

;) Yes it is a human wrist with a kind of logo of Earth Hour Day. But it isn´t a real kind of clock.;)

Sheikh Majid inaugured the Zayed university Carnival 2013 :) @blauerengel as I said :)

Thanks for sharing. Sheikh Majid inaugurates the ZUC since years. It would have been very surprised if he had not done it. The event has existed for eight years and Sheikh Majid is a sponsor to the Zayed University Carnival for the third consecutive year.

Sheikh Majid inaugured the Zayed university Carnival 2013 :)

@blauerengel as I said :)

Thanks for sharing:)
By the way-Sheikh Mansour also visited Zayed university for the same event,but not together,it is interesting that lately they seem to do a lot of double visits!
First Sheikh Hamdan visited a health-related event,than Sheikh Majid visited the same event and was shown around in the same areas (there are videos in previous posts)-so I can only explain that when there is an inmportant event that takes more than one day they decide that each day one of them is going. (Like here- Majid´s visit was on 20th March and Mansour on 21st March, must have been a very exciting week for all the students :)
It is also interesting to see that always whenever one of the sheikhs are visting a university, they are guided and shown around in the building by women.Emirati ladies seem to be clearly more active & interested in higher education than their male counterparts (sorry,Imanmajed!You must be that notable exception from the rule...) You can see that they are proud and confident women, it is nice to watch them explain and show around dignitaries in their alma mater so gracefully. By the way-on Zayed uni HP they have pictures of the visits and also further information:Current News
Notice that Sheikh Mansoor has opted for a sandy-coloured khandourah (obviously an avid follower of TRF who is willing to accept my sartorial advice on colours) while Sheikh Majid stubbornly refuses to give up his beloved white khandoura:p

Last edited:
It is also interesting to see that always whenever one of the sheikhs are visting a university, they are guided and shown around in the building by women.Emirati ladies seem to be clearly more active & interested in higher education than their male counterparts (sorry,Imanmajed! You must be that notable exception from the rule...) You can see that they are proud and confident women, it is nice to watch them explain and show around dignitaries in their alma mater so gracefully. By the way-on Zayed uni HP they have pictures of the visits and also further information:Current News

It´s okay. You are right! The women in UAE are more interested and enthusiastic for higher education than men. The Emirati men have more to strive to move forward on a higher path if they do not want to be completely overhauled by our ladies. Maybe I´m a proud notable exception from the rule.....;), but more I suppose that there are other male exceptions exist. Admittedly in a minority. My family wants me to strive for excellence. And with my best I honor my country.

Notice that Sheikh Mansoor has opted for a sandy-coloured khandourah (obviously an avid follower of TRF who is willing to accept my sartorial advice on colours) while Sheikh Majid stubbornly refuses to give up his beloved white khandoura:p

:p I have passed your suggestions. However, your request could not be comprehended, because the men regularly wear colored khanduras also (especially common in the younger generation). Don´t forget: you see only a small part of the wardrobe of the Sheikhs in the press. Therefore it seems that randomly you see Sheikh Majid in a white khandura always. At the same time white is the classical, more traditional version.

These colored khanduras and gutrahs currently "en vogue" in UAE. Does this represents a hope for you? ;)
9d336959-23e0-4105-8063-cf9bf36f736b_zps10be1b42.jpg

Last edited:

Sheikh Majid! You can see very good carvings.

@ blauerengel He is wearing a black kandura ! (this is still not a colourful outfit, but this is not white either so I guess you're pleased :) ?)

It´s okay. You are right! The women in UAE are more interested and enthusiastic for higher education than men. The Emirati men have more to strive to move forward on a higher path if they do not want to be completely overhauled by our ladies. Maybe I´m a proud notable exception from the rule.....;), but more I suppose that there are other male exceptions exist. Admittedly in a minority. My family wants me to strive for excellence. And with my best I honor my country.

-> Paraphrasing the first man who landed on the moon (Armstrong once said "That's one small step for man and one giant step for mankind." back in 69!) You could say "A bad thing for the UAE,but a very fortunate thing for me because I will have more job opportunities,better career options and later on a wider selection of possible marriage possibilities-because women prefer acchived men who can afford to give them a good standard of life. (Also,if you want to have several children,lavish wedding or multiple wives you need a well-paid job unless you constantly want to annoy your family when you´re asking them for money....)

:p I have passed your suggestions. However, your request could not be comprehended, because the men regularly wear colored khanduras also (especially common in the younger generation).<-1)
Don´t forget: you see only a small part of the wardrobe of the Sheikhs in the press. Therefore it seems that randomly you see Sheikh Majid in a white khandura always. At the same time white is the classical, more traditional version.

These colored khanduras and gutrahs currently "en vogue" in UAE. Does this represents a hope for you? ;)
9d336959-23e0-4105-8063-cf9bf36f736b_zps10be1b42.jpg

1)Can you show me? I constantly see Sheikh Majid in white,but maybe if you see him everyday you can make a statistic of how often he wears which colour and also which colour he wears most often and which one is his least-favoured colour.Of course supplied with pictures as proof and for the enjoyment of all the ladies on this board ;)
(I have never seen him in green,also don´t remember any appearances in red clothes...mostly I see him in black & white!He does seem to like blue and sandy-colours most,but obviously he is not too keen on bright colours.)

Last edited:
You could say "A bad thing for the UAE,but a very fortunate thing for me because I will have more job opportunities,better career options and later on a wider selection of possible marriage possibilities-because women prefer acchived men who can afford to give them a good standard of life. (Also,if you want to have several children,lavish wedding or multiple wives you need a well-paid job unless you constantly want to annoy your family when you´re asking them for money....)
:lol: If you look at it from this side ....well......but there is a small problem with your point of view: My job opportunities limited to the family business, which we manage and in this context I always get my money from my family, despite I work hard in my job! Also, it may happen that I worked a lot, but in the end see little or no money because the business did not work or only half. In the same way my family have a very large say in "possible marriage possibilities" for me. All together (job and marriage/s): I call it my general risk of life....My fate is determined of God....

1)Can you show me? I constantly see Sheikh Majid in white

I showed you a video, where you can see Sheikh Majid with different coloured khanduras.:p

....but maybe if you see him everyday you can make a statistic of how often he wears which colour and also which colour he wears most often and which one is his least-favoured colour.Of course supplied with pictures as proof and for the enjoyment of all the ladies on this board...

;) It seems, I have a new job....."statistician of colours"

I have never seen him in green,also don´t remember any appearances in red clothes...mostly I see him in black & white!He does seem to like blue and sandy-colours most,but obviously he is not too keen on bright colours.)

:eek: ohhhhh, RED .......if you are a man, this is not a colour that you should wear in UAE - never, not, under any circumstances.... the search for a man in a red khandura is therefore hopeless.....

Last edited:
Why is red such a taboo? I think red kandourah would be too overpowering with such a strong,vibrant colour,but why not wear a red t-shirt or poloshirt? Nasser bin Hamad wears soft pink regularly,which is a risky colour for men,as it is usually accociated with girls but I think on tanned men it looks nice.

Today I have a video for all the muslims on board-
it is from 2011,´from the most crowded place in the world,Mecca!
(Click on the link,it should work-only embedding is not possible for this video!)

I have spotted from the Al maktoum family:Mohammed,Hamdan,Majid,Achmed and also other sheikhs from the UAE.
For Arabic speakers: What do the comments below the video say? I would guess lots of "Inshallah","Mashalla" and "Allahu akbaar"s, am I correct?

Here is a compilation of pictures from different ppl who made the Hajj:

Why is red such a taboo? I think red kandourah would be too overpowering with such a strong,vibrant colour,but why not wear a red t-shirt or poloshirt?

The colour RED stands for a certain sexual preference of some men....

Today I have a video for all the muslims on board-it is from 2011,´from the most crowded place in the world,Mecca!

I have spotted from the Al maktoum family:Mohammed,Hamdan,Majid,Achmed and also other sheikhs from the UAE. For Arabic speakers: What do the comments below the video say? I would guess lots of "Inshallah","Mashalla" and "Allahu akbaar"s, am I correct?.......!

Inshallah in arabic: انشاء الله
Mashallah in arabic: ما شاء الله
Allahu akbar in arabic: الله أَكْبَر‎

Unfortunately I can't see multiple comments on this video. Below the video is a short comment in Arabic, which can be translated as: "pictures of some celebrities in Mecca". Top left hand corner there is only one referencing to a video channel of someone with the name Issa al Moosa. Thats all. Other comments I can´t find.

Maybe it was written: Labbaik -Allahumma - Labbaik ......(لَبَّيْكَ اللَّهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ ) It is the beginning of so called Talbiyah, a recital of the following words by the pilgrim during Umrah and Hajj:

Labbaik Allahumma Labbaik. Labbaik, La Shareek Laka, Labbaik. Innal Hamdah, Wan Nematah, Laka wal Mulk, La Shareek Laka
(لَبَّيْكَ اللَّهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ، لَبَّيْكَ لاَ شَرِيْكَ لَكَ لَبَّيْكَ، إِنَّ الْحَمْدَ وَالنِّعْمَةَ لَكَ وَالْمُلْكَ لاَشَرِيْكَ لَكَ )

Translation: "Here I am at thy service O Lord, here I am. Here I am at thy service and thou have no partners. Thine alone is all praise and all bounty, and thine alone is the sovereignty. Thou have no partners."

The Talbiyah is a prayer as well as an assertion of the pilgrim's conviction that he intends to perform Hajj only for the glory of Allah. The pilgrim starts the recital upon changing into the Ihram (state of consecration), and continues to recite it frequently throughout Hajj.

Last edited:
The colour RED stands for a certain sexual preference of some men.... QUOTE]

Oh, now I understand :p
But when people of Bahrain wear red,which is also part of their flag,is that also considered "strange"?
Here in Europe it is more the pink colour that is difficult,because most girl clothes are pink.It is really annoying,I want to buy something for my niece but I only see pink and fuchsia,with silly stuff written on it-everything from "Princess" to strange slogans for older girls :ohmy: (I must say that I dislike pink ;-)
If you buy pink clothes for a boy they will probably ask you if you are not afraid he will turn gay:ROFLMAO:
Many ppl don´t know that originally-e.g. in Spain,the baby boy used to be dressed in red and the girlies got blue-coloured clothes.It is a sillly stereotype IMO.Scientific research has shown that up to the age of six years girls and boys like the pink colour-but when they get older,society,media & their close friends tell men that pink is embarassing and only for females...

Oh, now I understand :p
But when people of Bahrain wear red,which is also part of their flag,is that also considered "strange"?

Yes, a little bit if the men wear pure red clothes.....there may be exceptions to the rule during national day.....of course any red-colored imprints, shades and patterns are not meant by my statement.

Last edited:
So I will not bring you red coloured clothes,now that I know that!
If a lady wears red,is this considered strange or can girls wear all colours they want?

So I will not bring you red coloured clothes,now that I know that!
If a lady wears red,is this considered strange or can girls wear all colours they want?

Ladies can wear all colours they want.

Oh,than I am happy! Why do they opt for black so often than? I particularly enjoy the blue colours that are worn by Touaregs and other people in Marocco,very beautiful colour!
Here you can see one with some embroidery/decorated fabric: Tuareg Man Dressed In Traditional Clothing With Ait
Here a different shade of blue, a little bit darker: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aroundthemall/wp-content/files/2007/10/tuareg.jpg
And because it is so nice,I will share another one - please also look at the beautiful animal: http://cperigen.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tuareg-sahara.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad you hinted at Tuareg people who belong to the Berber people !

It's not directly linked to the topic but a bit of new knowledge doesn't make any harm :). I think that any science and knowledge is always beneficial:p

here you can see some pictures of berber people's outfits. Notice that outfits are extremely colourful wich contrasts with black abayas from Arabian Peninsula...

Traditional dresses :

cute little girl :
[.ஐ.◊.ஐ.] LeS ChLeUh "BeRbReS Du SuD"... [.ஐ.◊.ஐ.] - chleh et fiere de le'tre hamdolilah !***<3...

Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://www.expressottawa.ca/media/photos/unis/photo_530731_resize.jpg

That's very very very colourful in fact :) !!!

An old berber woman Résultats Google Recherche d'images correspondant à http://idata.over-blog.com/2/82/52/36/Voyage/Zarzis2--71-.jpg

I really Wonder why people In uae ,especially women ofently wear black ??

Oh,than I am happy! Why do they opt for black so often than? .....

I really Wonder why people In uae ,especially women ofently wear black ??

This is deceptive, because you get to see only her black abaya (which is traditionally black and now often found in many fashionable variates and with embroidery). Black absorbs all wavelengths of visible light. Therefore the black colour is the best to conceal what is underneath. It is cultural rather than religious. In the shimmering heat of the desert black is clearly visible over a large distance. White or sandy-colour are indistinguishable from the surrounding area. Maybe the choice of colour originated in old days so people can differ a group of women from a group of men from afar. Specially in times of tribal battles the colour differences (white and sandy-colour (men) versus black (female) guaranteed the women not be harmed during fights.

Another traditional clothing of women in UAE, the Jelabia Mukhawara, is very colorful. It can be worn under the abaya or at home. Therefore, on the road, you'll probably not get to see.

Here you will find pictures:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/114562185/Dress_robe_dubai.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__Qrnvh5mADc/TRRAOnU8MUI/AAAAAAAAITo/IKuXs-6Qwls/s1600/Dubai%2BMuseum%2Btraditional%2Bcostume.JPG
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~ericsoli/women.jpg

Even otherwise, the ladies wear everything you can imagine under the black abaya. Also western clothing, for example jeans and t-shirt, can be worn under a abaya.

Last edited:
Haha !! sorry I didn't see you message before posting @ Imanmajed!!

I didn't know the jelabia mukhawara ! It would be nice to see women wearing this more often even if I guess that's more uncomfortable to wear at work or outside

It is said that black colour attracts the sun .

One more reason to get rid of black outfits !

It is said that black colour attracts the sun. One more reason to get rid of black outfits !

It is a myth that black attracts the heat, rather retain the energy of light. Darker colors like black are better absorbers of light and thereby become better radiators of heat. It's more that it just doesn't reflect light as much as lighter colors do. The darker the object, the better its emission of heat because it is a better absorber of light. The human body constantly produces heat, which must be passed somehow to the outside. Black clothes are better for dissipating heat.

1978 three zoologists at Washington State University have studied the issue for birds - white against black plumage. Her conclusion: It depends on the circumstances. In a calm enviroment, black birds was especially hot, a white feather dress cooled better. The results are returned, however, as it was a light breeze blowing in excess of 10 kilometers per hour. Because the wind carried away heat from the body and thus supports the heat radiation, the black birds suddenly had the advantage. The best was to have fluffy black feathers - that is the recommendation: wear dark, wide falling clothes at high sunlight. A black abaya is such a wide falling garment. It is perfect for the heat in Dubai.

Last edited:
I don´t want to start of yet another argument,but I must say that I can´t believe black is better in the sun,because as you rightfully wrote-black absorbs all the light (also the warm rays!) while white is reflecting all the light/sun.
I had one BMW with black leather seats that got extremely hot when I left it standing outside with the sun shining on it,that´s why I put in white towels to make it more comfortable to sit on. (Now the modern cars have active cooling inserted in the seat,that way you don´t sweat on your back in the summertime.) I sold that car and now I have a newer car with beige leather seats that are much more comfortable during summertime.Also,there is a difference between leather and textile seats,leather is getting much warmer and stores the heat longer than textiles,but that is just my experience. Maybe other people feel it differently or don´t mind the heat.

Back
Top Bottom