The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Dubai

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: --, United States
Posts: 185
i have heard that the wedding was very hush-hush which i find odd. notice the only child at the wedding was sheikh hamdan bin mo. he didn't realize he was going to a wedding. he was supposedly told that it was an official (meaning business) trip. haya said after the wedding that they were going to have a huge wedding celebration in dubai within the coming months. it was rumored that things turned sour when mo returned. his children were not happy especially not rashid. big wedding celebration has never happened. as far as haya being a trophy wife, are we looking at the same woman?
__________________

__________________
  #382  
Old 10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Humera's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 6,667
I'd like to request that everyone be careful about airing any rumours and commenting on Princess Haya's private life. None of us can claim to know for certain the circumstances surrounding her marriage to Sheikh Muhammad.
Please also refrain from resorting to name-calling and using terms like "trophy wife." So far I haven't edited or deleted anything because I didnt think the phrase was used in a deliberately offensive manner. But just keep in mind that the Forums is not the place to demean royal figures.

Humera
Royal Family of Dubai Moderator
__________________

  #383  
Old 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
TamaraKhan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burlöv-Singapore, Sweden
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joumana
Thank you very much for the article.

I realy wonder what does she mean with:


Was she secretely engaged without the knowledge of her family?
This means in other words she was Sheik's mistress or girlfriend who dated him for three years before marriage,because I won't call a secretive relationship as engagement,but she's trying to embelish the things,as it's not very good thing to be a mistress or to have an intime relationships in muslim culture before marriage I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Yes Humera I wrote that she is still with her father's name. I'm only curious is what about "of Jordan" as she is a wife of the Ruler of Dubai?



Quote:
originally posted by dazzling
Quote:

what do you mean "of jordan"



I think she meant since Haya is now the wife of Dubai's ruler and the "1st lady" of Dubai (even if I don't agree for this nomination),she might keep her title of princess,but without "of Jordan",like Rania for example she's palestinian born in kuwait,but she's the Queen of jordan,nobody calls her Queen Rania of Palestine or of Kuwait where she was born,or the royal born women,Queen Sofia of spain,she's a Greek Royal,but she's not called Queen Sofia of Greece,or Princess Sofia of Greece before being a Queen or Spain when General Franco allowed the spanish the royal family to back to Spain.


__________________
  #384  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98
In an interview with a German newspaper (published in April 2004; she is rather popular in Germany because she lived here for a while) she told the journalist that she met her future husband in 2001 at a horse event and was secretly engaged to him for three years before she asked her brother King Abdullah for permission to marry him. Only the day before her marriage she called the rest of the family to invite them. She asked her grandmother to provide for flowers and a cake. The dress for the marriage had been made for here by a small sewing works in Amman to keep it secret. The next day there was lunch in King Abdullah’s house. “That was it”.
She said that she is living with her husband like other couples, that she doesn’t think a lot about the fact that she is “the second wife”. “This is not an issue. Everybody can see that I am Sheikh Mohammed’s wife.” She concedes that before the marriage she took her time to think thoroughly about the step into a polygamous marriage. “The matter is not to possess somebody. I love this man, therefore I respect the fact that he had married somebody else before.” “What is better: to live like this or to divorce, to repudiate somebody, expel her from the family.”

http://www.wams.de/data/2006/04/16/874849.html

Sorry, my translation is far from being perfect.

Obviously the marriage was not an arranged one.
This interview does make it seem very much like Haya fell in love with him. At the risk of being a devil's advocate, however, one could argue that the purpose of the article/interview was, after all, to convince readers that it is a love marriage. From what I can see so far, Haya and Sheikh Mohammed have a very nice friendship, but honestly I don't see it as more than a friendly business arrangement. Haya is the public wife, the "ambassador to the West" if you will. It's only a bonus for them that they share interest (hers of the heart, his of the financial) in equestrian sports and enjoy each other's company.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #385  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: --, United States
Posts: 185
everyone keeps saying the she is is known to the western world. that is not true. queen rania is very popular in the states. she fits the mold of a fashion icon. think princess diana. i have seen queen rania on talk shows. most recently, oprah. she comes across as very articulate and informed. i have seen interviews with haya on you tube and other sites. she comes across as very "girlie" and uninformed. not impressed at all. she talks like a 12 year old. giggles at inappropriate moments. she must have graduated at the bottom of her class at oxford. i do not see the woman that her credentials state she is.
__________________
  #386  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:26 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,403
Well, I live in the US, and I don't pretend that Haya has anything like Queen Rania's publicity, but on the same token, Haya has been well-known to me long before she married into the Dubai family. She has international standing in the equestrian world, has competed in the Olympics and numerous other sporting competitions for show jumping. Now she is the FFE president. For a man like Sheikh Mohammed who has huge investments in the equestrian world (obviously, nothing more than horse racing, but not limited to it) that is important. But far beyond the financial, business aspects, I think they just share an affinity there. She said they met at a horse event. The equestrian world brought them together and it is probable that it is their favorite point of conversation, the bonding point if you will.

Yes, I think she competed in the Sydney Olympics, no?

You guys all make good points about the comparisons. As miss b said a few posts up, Haya can't be compared to Queen Rania, who really is the "Lady Di" of the Arab world. Nor can the Arab royalty be compared to the
European royalty. The media tries, but even so, they compare it with the view in mind that the European ways are somehow better. The Western media tends to portray Jordan as better because it is more like the West than other Arab countries. But that is a very narrow-minded view.
The fact that Sheikh Mohammed ("Mo," as you call him) even has a Westernizing agenda, or at least a Westernizing PR campaign for the international perspective, proves that the only way to truly succeed on the international business/finanacial arena is to be "more like the West."
So I think that is guiding all of his actions because finance and business is the most important thing for him. Haya is very popular in Europe, I think, because she has spent so much time there, she is very European, she was educated there, and she has so many European jet-set friends.
It reminds me of Peter the Great in a sense. Even he married a woman (his second wife) who was from the foreign ghetto of Moscow, very Westernized in her views, and she was part of his plan to open up a "window to the West" for Russia.
Peter and his Catherine were true lovers. Maybe Haya and "Mo" are a "great love story" too. It's possible. It is hard for me, coming from Western perspectives, to understand a love marriage that is polygamous(sp) but there again, I reveal my ignorant, limited view. Just because I have no experience with it and I truly cannot understand it....
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #387  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 AM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Yes, she was in the Sydney Olimpic 2000. More http://www.princesshaya.net/profile.shtm
__________________
  #388  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Veram98's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: at different places, Germany
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
my comment was regarding the olympics. didn't she also compete in the olympics? i think she carried the jordanian flag into the arena. that is where she did not place. i think the olympics have stiffer competition than the pan arab games. people that really follow the competitive jumping say she is an okay jumper not anything great. haya tends to embelish her accomplishments. if you read her interviews and compare them to what really happened, they are worlds apart. there are many videos of her on the forums. i have watched all, and she does not come across very well. immature, silly, come to mind. remember this is not a 19 year old girl. this is a 30 or 31 year old woman. royal friend, found your insight interesting regarding haya/mo, love story of the century.
She obviously is not a really great rider. During the Olympics in Sydney her horse refused two times at the jump and she fell to the ground.

I saw her once on TV discussing in a talk show with others, she was younger then, about 25. I liked her, she seemed to be a very pleasant young lady but maybe not the most intellectual woman on earth.

The love story of the century - hmm, certainly not, but the way she looks at him shows me that she is in love (something I have my problems to understand). This is my opinion and I see therefore no reason to doubt her words concerning this matter, but others are of course free to believe that she was forced or pushed into this marriage.
__________________
  #389  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,097
Well..I guess that depends on your definition of great! She was great enough to make the Olympic team..and not many people can do that.

It always amazes me (and this isn't directed to you Veram98 because others have commented on this in other threads) that some people try to lessen the accomplishments of some who compete at the Olympics but don't necessarily win. Don't get me wrong...while I am sure its truly a thrill to win at the Games....for some of the participants the ultimate satisfaction is because they actually compete in the Games.
__________________
  #390  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,403
Veram, I am coming to agree very much with your assessment of her being at the very least "in like" if not love. I lean strongly now toward it being her choice, although I maintain that people and events around her had their own share of influence, which is normal, of course. Who is not guided to some extent by their family, their friends, their circumstances, even, and perhaps especially, in marriage?
Moreover, I grant one possible argument to those in favor of polygamous marriages: It is common for men and women who are deeply in love with their spouses to have affairs, therefore why can't it be so that a person cannot love multiple spouses? He could be very much in love with Haya, thus making the business advantages that much easier to jump onto. No one can say it's not possible. Anyone who says a person can only be in love with one person does not know much yet about life.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #391  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Veram98's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: at different places, Germany
Posts: 676
Yes, I agree Zonk. I was maybe a bit too harsh in my words. I just wanted to say that she was not good enough to win a medal, there are a lot of riders who are more accomplished. But I think she worked hard to get the qualification and was herself very happy and proud to be able to compete in the Games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Veram, I am coming to agree very much with your assessment of her being at the very least "in like" if not love. I lean strongly now toward it being her choice, although I maintain that people and events around her had their own share of influence, which is normal, of course. Who is not guided to some extent by their family, their friends, their circumstances, even, and perhaps especially, in marriage?
Moreover, I grant one possible argument to those in favor of polygamous marriages: It is common for men and women who are deeply in love with their spouses to have affairs, therefore why can't it be so that a person cannot love multiple spouses? He could be very much in love with Haya, thus making the business advantages that much easier to jump onto. No one can say it's not possible. Anyone who says a person can only be in love with one person does not know much yet about life.
I know Western man who live in fact not less polygamous than Sheikh Mohammed: a wife + a mistress for decades + a lot of love affairs. One of my best friends is the wife in such a constellation and she is deeply convinced that her husband loves her.
__________________
  #392  
Old 10-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: --, United States
Posts: 185
some have said that the only reason she made the team was that her father was king of the country she was representing. she booted another rider who was more skilled. once again, i do not follow show jumping. that is what i was told.
__________________
  #393  
Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,097
Veram98....no problem....like I said...my statement wasn't directed just to you (well..part of it was..the great part). If you read any of the Charlene (girlfriend of Prince Albert) threads (and not to start a comparison between) the two...many make disparaging comments about her being South African champion swimmer. Like its nothing! And she woke up one day and said...I am the South African champion swimmer.

I have never seen Haya ride...but in order to make the Olympic team, I am sure she beat a lot of talented and qualified candidates to do so. And as we have seen from Zara Phillips (grand daughter of Queen Elizabeth) sometimes people put down your talent because of who you are related to. Yes, having loads of money (particulary in an expensive sport) is a step up, but if you don't have the talen and determination it really means nothing.
__________________
  #394  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Veram98's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: at different places, Germany
Posts: 676
One of PHaya's former trainers (Paul Schockemühle) was quoted recently (while she was in Aachen) that she was perhaps not the most talented rider but very "persistent". This and the fact that she could buy very good horses (as a king's daughter or sister; her father was already dead when she qualified for the Olympics) helped her to do not so bad in international competitions.
__________________
  #395  
Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: --, United States
Posts: 185
everyone keeps saying what a lovely couple they make. if you look at the pics, haya is always looking at him. mo rarely makes eye contact with her. i always remember the interview posted with mo and haya when her horse won. he turns to walk away and plows right into her. never said i am sorry, took her hand, even seemed to notice that he ran into her. she stood there with this fake grin on her face. i was embarassed for her. everyone keeps asking why haya married mo. why don't we ask why mo married haya.
__________________
  #396  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ocala, United States
Posts: 14
Thank you Zonk for such a decent post!

I would certainly dread to hear some of you speak of my riding!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Well..I guess that depends on your definition of great! She was great enough to make the Olympic team..and not many people can do that.

It always amazes me (and this isn't directed to you Veram98 because others have commented on this in other threads) that some people try to lessen the accomplishments of some who compete at the Olympics but don't necessarily win. Don't get me wrong...while I am sure its truly a thrill to win at the Games....for some of the participants the ultimate satisfaction is because they actually compete in the Games.
__________________
  #397  
Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Joumana's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Morocco, Netherlands
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
was princess haya around? i was curious as to how sheikh mo's sons interact with her. if she was there, does she appear to be close to any particular one of his sons? just curious.
According to the pictures from the beginnen of the marriage, I think that Princess Haya is close to Sheikh Hamdan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
everyone keeps saying what a lovely couple they make. if you look at the pics, haya is always looking at him. mo rarely makes eye contact with her.
I'm agree with you. Haya is always looking at him on the pictures.
I think that she knows the power of a picture very well. So I think she wants to show how she is in love with Sheikh Mohammad and give a romantic idea about them relationship for the people who don't believe on them relationship.
__________________

It was too good to be true...
  #398  
Old 10-25-2006, 03:09 AM
sommone's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 886
Why is it that people continue to say that Haya isn't known in the Western world? That's not true. Majority of the west may not readily be familiar with her, but there is a population of western people who are familiar with Princess Haya. I guess it depends which circles you float in. I will readily admit until I joined TRF a little over 2 years ago, the only royalty I was remotely familiar with and thought existed was that of England. Please pardon my ignorance, but that is the truth. If you have an interest in Equestrian sports, then you may or may not know of her. If your interest lies in royalty, you may or may not know her. If your interests lie in humanitarian efforts and charities, you may or may not know her. If you are familiar with the country or Jordan, or the Middle East for that matter, you may or may not know her. If you are familiar with her father, you might have an even better chance of knowing who she is. It just depends. So to say she isn't known in the west wouldn't exactly be truthful either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
everyone keeps saying what a lovely couple they make. if you look at the pics, haya is always looking at him. mo rarely makes eye contact with her.

I guess whether or not they are a lovely couple would be completely left to ones own individual opinion. I'm not sure which pictures you are looking at, but I have seen plenty where he does in fact make eye contact with her. Just because there is no eye contact with her in some photos, that doesn't mean that they aren't a lovely couple, or he doesn't have an interest in her, or bored with her, or whatever else may be presented as proof he doesn't really love her. That can't be determined by looking at few photos which only capture a brief "snapshot" of a person's life. Now whether he loves her and vis versa, I personally don't know. I hope that their marriage goes beyond political and financial gain for Shk Mo, but if it doesn't, then it is what it is.

I would also like to point out one more thing. Princess Haya may not be the Michael Jordan, if you will, of equestrian sports, but I give her credit for at least having the courage to pursue something she loves. That speaks volumes, IMO, about her. I'm glad she's not letting what people say about her or the fact that she isn't one of the leading persons in the field of the sport itself keep her from competing.
__________________
I'm back!!! Did anyone miss me?
  #399  
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 AM
Veram98's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: at different places, Germany
Posts: 676
At the beginning he wasn’t used to be seen in public with a wife and felt obviously sometimes a bit uncomfortable, especially when she clung to his arm or wanted to hold hands. In public Arab and Muslim couples usually do not show any feelings and do not touch each other. But he is learning.
__________________
  #400  
Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Mahoogie's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 312
Princess Haya is a beautiful woman and a horse-loving person, no doubt about that..I think those are the qualities why Sheikh Mo liked her and marry her..If she is an ugly or old Arabian princess, I dont think Sheikh Mo would ran after her even if King Abdullah would beg the sheikh to marry his sister..I dont think that this is an arrange marriage like others were speculating..Haya and Mo had a mutual understanding.Sheikh Mo got attracted with Haya, and Haya felt very flattered by the attention she got from this romantic and powerful man.
__________________

__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Haya at Cartier International Dubai Polo Challenge 2006-2009, 2013 desertrosemrk Ruling Family of Dubai 51 02-24-2013 07:44 AM
Princess Haya of Jordan to Sheikh Mohamad Bin Rashad Al-Maktoum of Dubai: 2004 shy Royal Weddings 274 02-19-2012 11:53 PM
Sheikh Mohammad & Princess Haya current events 1: June 2004-December 2005 houri Current Events Archive 129 12-08-2005 06:05 PM
Sheikh Muhammad & Princess Haya getting married? bluetortuga Ruling Family of Dubai 44 05-10-2004 02:53 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]