Sheikh Muhammad's marriage to Princess Haya & her role in Dubai

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SheriBeri said:
I see this is a touchy subject. I am not from here so I tend to look at her accomplishments more universally. (i.e. did not know she did not "represent" UAE women, my apologies). As to donating money, would that not be ShMo who would endow her the $$ to donate? don't know. How about the time she spends in promoting the various charities (especially the children related charities - even Sh Mo does that, doesn't he?). Please enlighten me. I also think her looks are lovely. Very regal. Don't know what you would expect her to wear. She evidently doesn't wear abayas, so what would you suggest? It seems she doesn't stand a chance with some of the people here in UAE, is that correct? Why?

princess haya is princess of jordan... wife of sheikh mohammed, ruler of dubai. she is not associated with any part of the local women. sheikha hind represents the local women of dubai and sheikh fatima represents the locals of the country. princess haya targets childrens charities because she knows that, that is the way to garner symapthies and likings from the people. although, you will barely find 10 local women who support her in anyway.

i suggest she dress more appropriatley, like the wife of a ruler of a muslim emirate. i am not saying she should wear the abaya or sheila. she needs to adopt a new image, an image of a woman who is the tulers wife.

he endows her more than her share of $$$$...... with all the running around trying to help the poor and the needy, we have not heard once of her generosity reaching passed her stables and horses.

I think PH enjoys children charities because it is something that she is interested in, not to garner any sympathy. Why does she need sympathy? She has charitable causes related to children in Jordan as well.

I have always thought that one of the responsibilities of Princess Haya was to be the face of modernity in Dubai - not for a moment do I believe that anything she does is without the expresss desire and consent of
Sheikh Mohammed.

not sure how she is not dressed appropriately, i think she looks lovely, cultured and intelligent. i wasn't aware of the hostility toward her, i'm sorry to learn this, is it because she is a second wife? or from another county. i mean no disrespect.

bbb said:
not sure how she is not dressed appropriately, i think she looks lovely, cultured and intelligent. i wasn't aware of the hostility toward her, i'm sorry to learn this, is it because she is a second wife? or from another county. i mean no disrespect.

it is not that she is a second wife, because she is more like the 100th wife. it is because of her constant limelight fixture and all the credit people (like this forum) tend to give her, when infact she has done nothing, nothin at all when it comes to dubai or the UAE. it is very tiresome when people keep saying how great she does, when all she does is show up, take a few sincere or important looking pictures. there are so many other local women and sheikhas who do alot more for their people and their country and they are never credited or even acknowledged.

the UAE is not her country. she is always refered to as Jordanian princess, never UAE PRINCESS (except for a small glitch, once). she might highlihgt an event with her presence, but locals do not like her or support her. There are about 800,000 locals, all of whom support their rulers and their families. You can not expect them to all of a sudden abandon their sheikhas who have helped them with open hands for over 30years.

ofcourse she does it with the consent of sheikh mohammed, but it does not mean that the people will follow her and love her because of his consent. I would like to make a bet that you will not find 10locals who care about her or her cause.

Princess Haya

Princess Haya did not force Sh Mo to marry her, did he? Wasn't that of his choosing? I cannot see anyone forcing Sh Mo to do anything he doesn't want to do. Perhaps he sees in her a very good representative of the modernization of Dubai and UAE. That does seem like where the UAE is heading full tilt. Since Sha Hind cannot or will not be photographed because of her customs or Sh Mo, then he can have PH do the public honors for various charities. Sha Hind must have already gotten alot of charities that she sponsors, so PH has to get charities that have not already been represented. Do you think he possibly has one modern public wife and one traditional national wife? Could be, and what is so terrible about that? I am personally not for multiple marriages, but I don't frown upon them if that is the custom in that country. PH is a representative for Sh Mo whether one likes it or not, and the more she can represent him in various charities and events, the more publicity the leader gets without having to actually take time to appear there. :p

ZZZ said:
it is not that she is a second wife, because she is more like the 100th wife. it is because of her constant limelight fixture and all the credit people (like this forum) tend to give her, when infact she has done nothing, nothin at all when it comes to dubai or the UAE. it is very tiresome when people keep saying how great she does, when all she does is show up, take a few sincere or important looking pictures. there are so many other local women and sheikhas who do alot more for their people and their country and they are never credited or even acknowledged.
Everyone including yourself, is entitled to their opinion of Princess Haya. You don't have to agree with it, but at least respect it. I can say I don't share your opinions of the princess, but I respect them, and my replies demonstrate this, respectfully. I find it offensive the way you just dismiss other people's thoughts because they aren't similar to your own. If you are so tired of reading what people have to say, then maybe you shouldn't come to this forum at all, or better yet, skip a large percentage of the posts. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. It is merely a suggestion.

Another suggestion, if you are so concerned about other Sheikhas not being recognized for their work in the UAE, then you are more than welcome to create threads about them to inform people instead of complaining about it here in PH thread. I can tell you that outside of Sheikha Hind, and I don't know very much, I'm not even remotely aware of the other Sheikhas, or what they have done for the UAE. I don't claim to know anything about the relationship of Haya and the people of the UAE, but if everyone there shares your sentiments of the princess, she has my deepest sympathies. While it is left up to each individual to determine whether or not Haya is contributing to the UAE, I still believe Haya is doing a great job in her charitable endeavors, and is an additional asset to the country.

Last edited:
PHaya and respect of UAE people

I have read about only two TRF members who are vehement against PH (ZZZ and ElJood). Is it because she is Jordanian or just that she is not UAE? Are either of you in the household or close to the family? No one has said that Sha Hind is not important, but you must admit that we outsiders must make our opinions on what we see and hear. We occasionally see articles about Sha Hind (without pictures) but see much about PH and also pictures. Lack of pictures is no one's fault as that seems to be the culture here for very traditional women, and I respect that. I always ask before I take a photo of women here. What I am saying is that many of us can identify PH by sight because not only do we get to read about her events, there are pictures and we see her on TV. It is simple exposure to the media that allows us to feel we "know" her and can appreciate her more. What would you suggest is a good way for non-UAE folks to get to know the Sha? I think it would be wonderful to see and meet a Sha if that is what is done, but outsiders don't know about this. Have YOU met the Sha or ShMo?

Everyone including yourself, is entitled to their opinion of Princess Haya. You don't have to agree with it, but at least respect it. I can say I don't share your opinions of the princess, but I respect them, and my replies demonstrate this, respectfully. I find it offensive the way you just dismiss other people's thoughts because they aren't similar to your own. If you are so tired of reading what people have to say, then maybe you shouldn't come to this forum at all, or better yet, skip a large percentage of the posts. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. It is merely a suggestion.

Another suggestion, if you are so concerned about other Sheikhas not being recognized for their work in the UAE, then you are more than welcome to create threads about them to inform people instead of complaining about it here in PH thread. I can tell you that outside of Sheikha Hind, and I don't know very much, I'm not even remotely aware of the other Sheikhas, or what they have done for the UAE. I don't claim to know anything about the relationship of Haya and the people of the UAE, but if everyone there shares your sentiments of the princess, she has my deepest sympathies. While it is left up to each individual to determine whether or not Haya is contributing to the UAE, I still believe Haya is doing a great job in her charitable endeavors, and is an additional asset to the country

if i have offended you, it was not intended. i was merely trying to explain a local point of view of haya. i respect everyones opinions, but i do not agree with them. i express my point of view as do others, no one os forced to read them, agree with them or answer them; this is a forum with a thread about haya - all i am doing is voicing my opinion. how have i dismissed other people's opinions? by not agreeing? and then pointing out why i do not agree?

when i said i was tired of the way haya is always portrayed as the best thing that has happend to the UAE, it is because it is tiresome to always hear how great she is. she has her pros and her cons. but this thread seems to only shed light on her good and not her bad. think of me as balancing the scales. when i choose to not post at this forum, i will do so.

i am not so concerned with other sheikha's, i a merely reminidng you that there have been great women before her who did not have to seek the limelight whne they did it. you are not remotley aware of other sheikha's because they are nott photographed at every turn. she is an ADDITIONAL asset to the country, but she is not an asset to the country.

Princess Haya did not force Sh Mo to marry her, did he? Wasn't that of his choosing?

ofcourse she was not forced, but there were alot of speculations of her and why she was spending so much time around his stables and with him. many people say that king abdulla suggest he marry her or she will have to leave. and yes, he choose her at the end, but let's not portray her as this young, vibrant, educated and beutiful wife who captured his heart - he has been known to do this, alot. she (by standards of outsiders) married an already married man, who had children with other women. she married into a a very traditional and religiouse situation of marriage (nothing modern about marrying a man old enough to be her father,or have enough kids to start his own country).

I have read about only two TRF members who are vehement against PH (ZZZ and ElJood). Is it because she is Jordanian or just that she is not UAE? Are either of you in the household or close to the family?

it is because she is credited for everything little thing that happens in dubai - i.e. she is the face of modern dubai..... ahhhh, since when???? i do not know el jood, and i am not in the house of anyone or close to any of them. i am merely voicing opinions about the way locals really view situations (i am not claiming to speak for everyone, so no jumping to conclusions please).

No one has said that Sha Hind is not important, but you must admit that we outsiders must make our opinions on what we see and hear. We occasionally see articles about Sha Hind (without pictures) but see much about PH and also pictures. Lack of pictures is no one's fault as that seems to be the culture here for very traditional women, and I respect that.

like you said, pictures is what draws person closer. sheikha hind is very accesabile at public events - she can be easily approached and is very nice to talk to, she has time for everybody, no exceptions. like you said outsiders depend on pictures way too much.

on another note - anyone notice how she refers to herself as HRH Princess Haya of JORDAN.

ZZZ said:
if i have offended you, it was not intended. i was merely trying to explain a local point of view of haya. i respect everyones opinions, but i do not agree with them. i express my point of view as do others, no one os forced to read them, agree with them or answer them; this is a forum with a thread about haya - all i am doing is voicing my opinion. how have i dismissed other people's opinions? by not agreeing? and then pointing out why i do not agree?

when i said i was tired of the way haya is always portrayed as the best thing that has happend to the UAE, it is because it is tiresome to always hear how great she is. she has her pros and her cons. but this thread seems to only shed light on her good and not her bad. think of me as balancing the scales. when i choose to not post at this forum, i will do so.

i am not so concerned with other sheikha's, i a merely reminidng you that there have been great women before her who did not have to seek the limelight whne they did it. you are not remotley aware of other sheikha's because they are nott photographed at every turn. she is an ADDITIONAL asset to the country, but she is not an asset to the country.

ofcourse she was not forced, but there were alot of speculations of her and why she was spending so much time around his stables and with him. many people say that king abdulla suggest he marry her or she will have to leave. and yes, he choose her at the end, but let's not portray her as this young, vibrant, educated and beutiful wife who captured his heart - he has been known to do this, alot. she (by standards of outsiders) married an already married man, who had children with other women. she married into a a very traditional and religiouse situation of marriage (nothing modern about marrying a man old enough to be her father,or have enough kids to start his own country).

it is because she is credited for everything little thing that happens in dubai - i.e. she is the face of modern dubai..... ahhhh, since when???? i do not know el jood, and i am not in the house of anyone or close to any of them. i am merely voicing opinions about the way locals really view situations (i am not claiming to speak for everyone, so no jumping to conclusions please).

like you said, pictures is what draws person closer. sheikha hind is very accesabile at public events - she can be easily approached and is very nice to talk to, she has time for everybody, no exceptions. like you said outsiders depend on pictures way too much.

on another note - anyone notice how she refers to herself as HRH Princess Haya of JORDAN.

IF you are going to quote me, don't take and twist my words to suit you. Calling people's opinions tiresome is offensive so maybe you should choose your words carefully. No one is saying you can't criticize Princess Haya. I think the mods expect you to be fair, even when criticizing, and not just spout rumors and allegations about her if you don't have the proof to back up what you are saying. The general consensus here is that most members who post on her threads really like her, and that is why you read a lot of postitive remarks about her.

Again, I wasn't telling you you can't post here, or don't post here, I was merely making a suggestion not to visit if you don't like what you are reading. If I called your views and similar ones like yours tiresome, and believe me, I have seen my share of them way before you even got here, then it would be rude and disrespectful to you. Another thing, if you aren't so concerned with the other Sheikha's, then why bring them up? No one is denying their existance or their importance to the country. And yeah, IMO, she is an additional asset to the UAE. HRH Princess Haya of Jordan is the title she was given, so why is that a problem?

Last edited:
sommone said:
IF you are going to quote me, don't take and twist my words to suit you. Calling people's opinions tiresome is offensive so maybe you should choose your words carefully. No one is saying you can't criticize Princess Haya. I think the mods expect you to be fair, even when criticizing, and not just spout rumors and allegations about her if you don't have the proof to back up what you are saying. The general consensus here is that most members who post on her threads really like her, and that is why you read a lot of postitive remarks about her.

Again, I wasn't telling you you can't post here, or don't post here, I was merely making a suggestion not to visit if you don't like what you are reading. If I called your views and similar ones like yours tiresome, and believe me, I have seen my share of them way before you even got here, then it would be rude and disrespectful to you. Another thing, if you aren't so concerned with the other Sheikha's, then why bring them up? No one is denying their existance or their importance to the country. And yeah, IMO, she is an asset to the UAE. HRH Princess Haya of Jordan is the title she was given, so why is that a problem?

i am posting on what i hear from within the country..... if you don't like what people say or think, thats fine, but im bringing a local perspective. you say that you are on the outside and judge from your place, its the samething as me. this is a forum to discuss haya - fact, fiction, image, character, the list goes on......

ofcourse i care about the sheikhas, but i do not care to start a thread where because they are not photographed, they are not appreciated.

to you she maybe an asset, to us, she is an ADDITONAL asset - like you stated previousley (no need to change your mind, just for the sake of my point).

her title is not a problem, but titles are either given through birth (like haya) or through marriage (like rania). but once the title to the person given by birth, is married, they adopt their husbands title.

look, before the mods start erasing things (seeing that we both have content in our posts that really do deal with haya), lets agree to disagree.....

ZZZ said:
i am posting on what i hear from within the country..... if you don't like what people say or think, thats fine, but im bringing a local perspective. you say that you are on the outside and judge from your place, its the samething as me. this is a forum to discuss haya - fact, fiction, image, character, the list goes on......

ofcourse i care about the sheikhas, but i do not care to start a thread where because they are not photographed, they are not appreciated.

to you she maybe an asset, to us, she is an ADDITONAL asset - like you stated previousley (no need to change your mind, just for the sake of my point).

her title is not a problem, but titles are either given through birth (like haya) or through marriage (like rania). but once the title to the person given by birth, is married, they adopt their husbands title.

look, before the mods start erasing things (seeing that we both have content in our posts that really do deal with haya), lets agree to disagree.....

I have no problem with that...I'm not in the mood to debate anyhow. I just wanted to point out something that I thought was disrespectful to me. Just for the record, I didn't change my mind for the sake of your argument. I didn't realize I left out the word additional since I was in a hurry. However, I have since corrected my mistake as not to cause any misinterpretations.

Last edited:
To those of you who are not PH fans, may I ask why you don't like her getting in the limelight as his wife, when I believe you stated that he has other women, other wives, lots of children. So what's one more wife in the family (not meant disrespectfully) and if she is doing nice things, why not have them in the press? Is it the fact that she does receive so much press? If so, what would your feelings be if Sha H got more press? Would that even things up for you? There does seem to be alot of interest in PH (if you look at the number of "hits" on the PH threads as compared to the Sha Hind threads, they speak volumes).

Last edited by a moderator:
"(nothing modern about marrying a man old enough to be her father,or have enough kids to start his own country) "
i'm not sure u meant this funny zzz but it made me smile and wonder how many wives and children does he have and does PH live in UAE with him. And is not being photographed a privacy issue or the personal choice of these ladies in terms of their culture and religion which should be respected and not questioned? i'm sorry if this has already been discussed, i mean no disrespect.

bbb said:
"(nothing modern about marrying a man old enough to be her father,or have enough kids to start his own country) "
i'm not sure u meant this funny zzz but it made me smile and wonder how many wives and children does he have and does PH live in UAE with him. And is not being photographed a privacy issue or the personal choice of these ladies in terms of their culture and religion which should be respected and not questioned? i'm sorry if this has already been discussed, i mean no disrespect.

he has 3 wives that people know about, sheikha hind (first lady of dubai), a moroccan/algerian (she is the mother of maitha and majed) and princess haya. there have been others, but know one is able to put a number on it or even identify them. his children from sheikha hind and the morrocan/algerian one are the most visible (and manal, who's mother is lebanese).

not being photographed is both privacy and tradition. if you open your self up to one picture, you have allowed the world in and can not control it (you sort of become public property). tradition is also a big part, a wife is very sacred, very protected in the arab world, men don't like their friends looking at their wives.

thank you zzz
i'm a Texan and our men don't much like others looking at their wives either

ZZZ and others thank you for the native opinions. To me rania and haya are new westernized modern women who truelly appreciate the power of Media PR-politicians usually call them "spinning". Personally I like more of Sheikha Hind`s style-understated, old fashioned with values which says that the true kindness needs no advertizing-of course, Mo wanted a PR person for new modern image of his place so it goes both way but when people like rania and haya are the only ones being recognized or taking credits, then I think it is another story. To me, they are more of show-off type-needing to prove themselves to the world-maybe they need to due to their strategic positions-but if I could choose either types, I would rather choose the ones who do good without extra publicity to create thier image. I have always thought that the real good ones do not need to be on TV. One noble British gentleman in his 40`s said the same thing. The real good ones are the ones the world does not know...

Show offs

Julial, I somewhat agree with what you are saying about show offs and PR and spinning, but what about getting publicity or the meeting or charity they are working on? We don't know much about Sha Hind's contributions because there doesn't seem to be much PR about these. In today's world, media plays an important role in communicating what is being done and who is doing it. By doing so, more attention is drawn to that event and by doing so, more money is gotten or more people will talk about the event, thus "stirring the pot" so to speak and getting the event on people's minds.

PH and the rest of the "show offs" are recognizable people who are supporting causes to give the world knowledge of things they might ordinarily not know about (i.e., Hunger being worse in certain countries, war torn countries trying to re-establish themselves, global warming, inhumane treatment of animals, and the list goes on and on). I am glad that we have people who will take these tasks onto their shoulders, as we need someone to "put it out there for us to see".:)

I am aware that many charities feel that getting a celebrity or two onboard helps their cause but to be honest, when it comes to things like the earthquake in Pakistan, the tsunami, the kids being injured in wars around the world, the famine in Niger, we don't need well fed multi-millionaire types to tell us to donate as the pictures of these terrible tragedies speak for themselves and anyone who is a decent human being is moved to try to help. I just hate it that a lot of these celebrities then take all the kudos for attending a charity ball, giving a small speech, eating haute cuisine dinners and dressing up in designer clothes when the real heroes are the people on the ground working to help those people day after day without the benefit of Hello magazine or a huge PR machine behind them. Also, wehen you look at the salaries of the Directors of these charities, you have to wonder where your money actually goes!!!!

These celebrities don't show us these things, the news and journalists do. For example it was the journalist Michael Buerk from the BBC who first highlighted the famine in Ethiopia back in the 1980's not Bob Geldof. Not to disparage LiveAid in any way but Bob Geldof wouldn't have heard about the Ethiopian famine if it hadn't been for the BBC and other news organisations. So I am afraid I don't buy into the ' celebs educate us about things we wouldn't otherwise know about' type mentality and let us not forget all the great PR these celebs get from putting their names to various causes - it is a two way street and not always 100% altruism.

Celebrities and royqlty get plenty of good PR from their charity dinners, lunches and balls not to mention the all expenses paid trips. It is news editors who show and highlight happenings in the world not royalty.

ZZZ said:
he has 3 wives that people know about, sheikha hind (first lady of dubai), a moroccan/algerian (she is the mother of maitha and majed) and princess haya. there have been others, but know one is able to put a number on it or even identify them. his children from sheikha hind and the morrocan/algerian one are the most visible (and manal, who's mother is lebanese).

not being photographed is both privacy and tradition. if you open your self up to one picture, you have allowed the world in and can not control it (you sort of become public property). tradition is also a big part, a wife is very sacred, very protected in the arab world, men don't like their friends looking at their wives.

Thank u for the info. BTW i have no problem with PH opening herself up to the press for good causes if it means the charities etc get more money!!

I guess it is a personal (and cultural ) preference according to women`s personalities then.
Some want limelight, some want to be left alone. :) As long as Sheikh MO loves both of them!

She looks nice.

Sorry little stupid question - but is Haya some kind of first wife know?
I know that she is his next wife not first.

Last edited:
although no one is for certain (these matters are never made public), my understanding is that she is his third wife. sheikh majid's mother is the second wife. he divorced one of his children's mother, but i was told that he is still married to majid's mom and of course, sheikha hind. that would make haya his third(?). i think majid's mother also travels with the rest of the family (meaning hind's) and is accepted by them. maybe that is why majid appears to be so close to hind's children.

The mother of sheikh Majid is from Morocco.

I think that Haya is the nummer 4 as wife because I heard that sheikh Mohammad had a wife from libanon too and he has a children with her also. Sheikha Manal is one of them.

that's right. i forgot about sheikha manal's mother. however, no one knows if he is divorced from any of them. there is a ? about if he married all of his children's mothers.

Marriage & Children

Princess Haya is wife number four. All of the children you post about and whom are seen in public are viewed as "official children" which means they were not born out of wedlock. Sheikh Rashid is the first "official" child but there is an older half brother.

Thanks everybody, I hadn't realised Haya was wife number 4. I've only ever heard of Sheikha Hind so assumed there were no others.

I can't believe she's wife number 4. I can't believe that she accepted to be the fourth. It doesn't seem to be the mood or the habits at the jordanian royal house to share your husband. She didn't grow up in this spirit. Really I can't understand her...

me too I can't belive and understand why a young,Educated and beautiful princess Accept to be the Fourth wife.and share her husband with tree other women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom