The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 PM

I don't think there is anything regular or common about polygamy. It is not a legal practice is most of the world. In the US, it is practiced by a minority (as Veram pointed out) but usually it is done by people of the Mormon faith who belong to communities where it's allowed, or tolerated, if not officially legal.
There might also be some Americans or American citizens who are Islam in their faith and practice it, but I can't speak with any real knowledge about it.
As for the middle east, I'm not sure it's as mainstream as the Western media gives the impression it is.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

i heard the same thing, little star. i heard that it was frowned upon by most of the people in this region. i got the impression that most felt that it had out lived its usefulness. sheikh mo, sheikh maktoum, and sheikh mansour are the only ones that i can think of off the top of my head who have/had multiple wives. don't know about sheikh khalifa bin zayed.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
i heard the same thing, little star. i heard that it was frowned upon by most of the people in this region. i got the impression that most felt that it had out lived its usefulness. sheikh mo, sheikh maktoum, and sheikh mansour are the only ones that i can think of off the top of my head who have/had multiple wives. don't know about sheikh khalifa bin zayed.
As little star says, it makes sense that only the wealthy could practice polygamy. Marriage is an expensive enterprise. To do it multiple times, to take on another person, and on and on, into the household, can become a financial burden if you don't have the income to support it. Imagine an average person trying to support four wives and all the kids that come with each marriage. I don't know much about it but I am like you in that I can't think of anyone else besides the Emirate princes other than Saudi and Moroccan royals.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Aristocracy

I do not think that polygamy is a question of money,and being wealthey or very poor,but It's mostely a question of the culture and the social presure,while polygamy is very common in gulf states within wealthy and poor families,as men had presure sometimes from their own society if they keep only one wife...,but it's very rare in Morocco or Lebanon for example.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98
I think that UAE citizens are not unhappy with the fact that Sheikh Mo has several wives (that is really nothing new and in their eyes he has the right to) but that he married a woman who being a foreigner was not content with a secondary role like others before but plays a very visible role - somehow in concurrence to their beloved Sheikha Hind (they will never accept a first lady who is not from the UAE).
Its not the fact that he has several wifes because he does, and he does have a right to have 4 wifes. Im not going into details (staying out of trouble) but Haya does have a reputation in the UAE, so for those reasons she is unliked. Also to mention, the UAE people would rather accept a Local women/lady on Sheikh Mohammeds arm than a foreigner. I think a Local women would represent her country along with Sheikh Mohamemd better than a foreigner would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss b
Sheikh Khalifa does not have a second wife.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

The most important in the story is DOES Haya really add something to Dubai?
Some people keep saying that Sheikh Mohamed wanted her to be his public wife,and to give a modern image of Dubai royals,but Is that really true?Dubai is what it is,a very modern place with a very traditional society,where some 80% popualtion are not locals,and the locals prefer their local first wife Sheika Hind,and I belive that Haya won't change anything in that,considered by some the first lady or not.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomé
The most important in the story is DOES Haya really add something to Dubai?
Some people keep saying that Sheikh Mohamed wanted her to be his public wife,and to give a modern image of Dubai royals,but Is that really true?Dubai is what it is,a very modern place with a very traditional society,where some 80% popualtion are not locals,and the locals prefer their local first wife Sheika Hind,and I belive that Haya won't change anything in that,considered by some the first lady or not.
Haya has not changed anything in dubai nor added anything to it. If sheikh Mohammed wanted to give a modern image about the al maktoum family or dubai, then he should of married a local or someone from his family to obtain that image. I think the public wife, modern image etc is an excuse of their marriage.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
Haya has not changed anything in dubai nor added anything to it. If sheikh Mohammed wanted to give a modern image about the al maktoum family or dubai, then he should of married a local or someone from his family to obtain that image. I think the public wife, modern image etc is an excuse of their marriage.
That's very right,I think that if sheikh made his local wife in the pulblic eye,it would have more impact about what he would want to change in Dubai's traditions,rather than the local wife hidden and the foreigner in the public eye,which increase the fact that he keeps the values of a very closed society.I don't think that this aaditional marriage will change or add something as this doesn't have something to do with modernity.

If the excuse of the first lady who's on the public eye is more modern,as it's a value from the west,and what looks western is more modern,so why he exercices polygamy (yes he has the right but he wasn't obliged),and polygamy doesn't have something to do with the western values and culture,he would have kept a local wife and made her public (although non-public doesn't mean no duties,as far as I know that Hind has her own) would be more intersting and new in Dubai's society.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

How about just the fact that he is in love with Haya? Instead of kicking Sheika Hind out of the palace to make room for a younger model, he remains married to her and she still enjoys the position of "first wife" and the respect due her as the mother of his heir. Haya is a beautiful, intelligent woman who shares his equestrian passion and is perhaps his true "soulmate", for lack of a better word. Should he hide Haya away for that? She could have had her pick of men. Obviously there must be deep love there for her to agree to marriage.

Also, what "reputation" does Haya have? What has she done? (Not trying to be smart, I really haven't heard of anything and am curious)
Old 10-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Commoner

Princess haya is too beautiful for that men!he is not atractive at all!...
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
How about just the fact that he is in love with Haya? Instead of kicking Sheika Hind out of the palace to make room for a younger model, he remains married to her and she still enjoys the position of "first wife" and the respect due her as the mother of his heir. Haya is a beautiful, intelligent woman who shares his equestrian passion and is perhaps his true "soulmate", for lack of a better word. Should he hide Haya away for that? She could have had her pick of men. Obviously there must be deep love there for her to agree to marriage.
Then Sheikh Mohamed fall in love very often and can't find the love of his life,Haya is not the first woman he married after Hind,as far as I know he did already twice before,both were foreigners,the mother of Majid and the other the mother of Maita and Shamsa,so if it's that love,I fail to understund.
Nobility

kimebear i was writing that isnt it possible that they really love eachother and i saw your reply.i think you are totaly right. itsnot about money or looking modern to western its something about love its obvious that they are in love when you look at their photos.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Then Sheikh Mohamed fall in love very often and can't find the love of his life,Haya is not the first woman he married after Hind,as far as I know he did already twice before,both were foreigners,the mother of Majid and the other the mother of Maita and Shamsa,so if it's that love,I fail to understund.
To my understanding, sheikha Hind is not his first wife. She is his first "official wife" sheikh Majid's mother is the first wife (nobody hears anything about her).

Quote:
in my opinion, she might share his hobbies, but i dont find her pretty nor an intelligent women(again, i state people have different opinions). sheikh Mohammed did not have a choice when marying her to hide her away becasue she was already in the public eye, people already knew her, seen her.

Quote:
Also, what "reputation" does Haya have? What has she done? (Not trying to be smart, I really haven't heard of anything and am curious)
talking about reputation is not allowed to be posted on this forum, but can be talked about by using PM's.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Commoner

May i ask how MO divided his time between 2 wives??
Sorry for my poor english..
Old 10-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
To my understanding, sheikha Hind is not his first wife. She is his first "official wife" sheikh Majid's mother is the first wife (nobody hears anything about her).
I heard that she's German,right?and Maita's and Shamsa's mother is Moroccan or something.

Kimbear,the point is not that he should hide Haya or not,but the point is that she's not adding or changing something more than the other wives,and i doubt it's love,because as you can see the Sheikh changes wives from different horizons and nationalities like his shirts.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by florecita
May i ask how MO divided his time between 2 wives??
Sorry for my poor english..
I don't think we can answer you,u should write him maybe and ask him as he's the loenely person who knows better about this matter
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Many members have talked about the wedding pictures and how happy sheikh mohammed and haya looked. Ive looked at them, and i disagree with people who have said that they look happy. Ive posted some pictures which say alot. First picture, does not look like a happy man who just got married.Second picture also shows sheikh mohammeds face not being to happy. Third picture, shouldnt he be holding her hand or arm, i mean just married couples have more affection than that.and the last picture, being congratulated for his marriage on no smile or a happy look on his face.
© 2004 Maher Attar / MGA PRODUCTION

Old 10-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I heard that she's German,right?and Maita's and Shamsa's mother is Moroccan or something.

Kimbear,the point is not that he should hide Haya or not,but the point is that she's not adding or changing something more than the other wives,and i doubt it's love,because as you can see the Sheikh changes wives from different horizons and nationalities like his shirts.
I wasn't responding to whether or not she "added" something, but to the fact that she has a more public face than Hind. Does she need to add something more than the other wife(ves)? I do know that she is very active politically in the advancement of women in society, as Hind is also. Is it not true that it would be improper for her to take a more prominent lead over Hind in internal social affairs as a second wife?

I also doubt that it is something other than love. Looking at the situation logically, (and we can only guess because no one knows them) the marriage was more problematic than the rewards a non-love match would warrant. Sheikh Mo enjoys his own position, wealth and power. Marrying into the Jordanian royal family does nothing to significantly increase his position as he is wealthier than the JRF and Haya already had a high public profile before their marriage, so there was no keeping her "under wraps" so to speak. So in marrying her he gains a wife that does not benefit him financially or politically and in fact, she is disliked by his people. Haya is the daughter of a king, the half sister of a king, well educated (you can debate about her intelligence if you want to), a liberated Muslim woman used to a less restricted lifestyle than the women in Dubai enjoy, a member of a family that does not currently practice polygamy and a catch for many men who may not be as wealthy as Sheikh Mo, but can come close, where she does not have to suffer the injury of being seen as a "junior wife". So she certainly could have married elsewhere for money. Sheikh Mo must feel something for her. He married her, he didn't just parade around the world with her on his arm as a plaything. Don't forget that he is passionate about his horses (his website is almost 1/3 about his equestrian endeavors)and Haya is a world class competitor. If there is a more advantageous reason for them to have been married, please say so. As for seeming happy on his wedding day, show me an official photo of this man where he is smiling. I haven't seen one. Everyone else seems pretty happy to me including King Abdullah and I don't think he would allow his sister to marry into a loveless relationship. Abdullah is a little too progressive for that.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Aristocracy

You still can think it's love,but it's your opinion,and I respect it,but you don't answer my question,what it was with the two other wives who are non-less liberated than Haya,one German and the other Moroccan if we assume that Hind is not?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You still can think it's love,but it's your opinion,and I respect it,but you don't answer my question,what it was with the two other wives who are non-less liberated than Haya,one German and the other Moroccan if we assume that Hind is not?
I don't know what it was with the other wives. No one does except Sheikh Mo and the women themselves. The point being that he has never allowed his wife to be publicly acknowledged as much as Haya, so we really don't know anything about the women themselves or what their personal situations were.