The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Dubai

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Manamah, Bahrain
Posts: 230
Well I'm not answering to the main subject but I will answer to people not speaking proper English , the thing is in the UAE we speak Arabic as a main language it is normal that a lot of people speak only their native language so when you are in UAE you should expect that a lot of people don't speak English, French, Spanish or any other language. I have been to one of the big stables in France and between my poor French and the trainers poor English I managed to call a friend to translate!
In the UAE normaly if they are not fluent in a language and somthing important is happening a translater will be present :)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
I do understand every nation has their native language,however if you want to do business with people from other countries you must be able to talk in a different language...nowadays most people speak English and for me English should be the absolute minimum to expect from an educated person...I would not even call it a foreign language,English is so important that everyone should try to at least speak at a basic level so that they can communicate with people from other countries.
Especially in such a rich country like UAE with so much resources and (as I believe) free education for every citizens,I do not understand why people fail to learn foreign languages or why they are not interested to cultivate their mind and develop/use their intellectual potential.
Again,this is not a racist-motivated comment,I get also disappointed by many European and US citizens who do not try to learn other languages even though they have all the possible chances to do so! Like public libraries,schools,university,private language courses or tuiton from nationals or learning by listening to radio or tv from foreign countries.If you live in a poor country with no proper educational system I would understand and try to talk to you by hand and foot and facial expressions because I understand that some people grow up in an environment that did not give them a chance to unleash their potential and learn. Maybe that is too much,but I expect a certain level of education & basic knowledge of English from somebody who is coming from a wealthy nation with all the opportunities to learn and use their brains.

BTW:To save the grace of stable staff and the people who do the menial unglamorous work in the stables I must say that most of them,nationals from Asian countries like India,Bangladesh,etc., spoke better English than the people they worked for....
__________________

__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
blauerengel, I refer to your statment in post # 42. I do not agree with some points in it. I am aware (and I carry the responsibility for it) that I´m in boiling water again if I criticize you publicly. I am far from embarrass you here. So I decided to write a personal message to you.....

Generally: It is not easy for everyone to learn and to express themselves in a foreign language confidently. I have great respect for those who try to learn a foreign language, and somehow strived for the development of a communication between persons with different native languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
I do understand every nation has their native language,however if you want to do business with people from other countries you must be able to talk in a different language.......
I agree, but why you don´t want to learn Arabic if you negotiate or "work" with UAE stables from time to time and you know that some (or the majority of) important persons can not speak a proper English? If you want to do business.......
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Well,hoping that a certain rule or breach of a certain law will not be detected is not the right way to do business....
Right, I agree. It is not the right way to do business, but some people (anywhere in the world) do their business in this way.....Usually they have success before they plunge deep.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
I was certainly NOT talking to a stable boy,I was talking to an Emirati man who has a responsible position in the training of the horses,but for reasons of discretion I cannot disclose his name in a public forum.
No one wants to know his name, it should be remain your secret and isn´t important for the discussion here. But unusually for a person in such a position, especially if negotiations are scheduled, necessary or to be run.....in such cases normally a translator of trust is been consulted.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,602
Suspended Goldolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni 'advised to appeal' eight-year BHA ban for horse doping - Telegraph

Al Zarooni to appeal?

The BHA also confirmed the trainer, who was at the helm of Moulton Paddocks in Newmarket, had personally brought the drugs into the United Kingdom on a flight from Dubai, where horses in training can be given anabolic steroids and can race 28 days later.

Key findings delivered in Mahmood al-Zarooni steroids doping case | Sport | The Guardian
Mahmood al-Zarooni brought steroids in Godolphin case back from Dubai | Sport | guardian.co.uk
Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni's trail of deceit over doped horses - Telegraph
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
I agree, but why you don´t want to learn Arabic if you negotiate or "work" with UAE stables from time to time and you know that some (or the majority of) important persons can not speak a proper English? If you want to do business.......
How interesting,so if Sheikh Mohammed´s horse got tested positive on doping in a large number I should defend myself because I do not speak proper Arabic? I miss to see the connection....

Again:I was not doing any business,I only assisted a friend who only speaks French & English and asked me to translate for him on the phone,nothing more...I did not take any money and I do not represent any company or organisation. I only did a favor to a friend who was unable to talk to the Emirati man on the mobile phone.

My issue is not the topic of this thread,but as it seems you like to use my lack of Arabic language knowledge to distract from the main topic-Who is the mastermind behind this whole doping mess?
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,602
Sheik Mohammed and Mahmood Al Zarooni doping scandal: Racing is in crisis - MARTIN SAMUEL | Mail Online

He only agreed to appear before camera at all because his horse, Dawn Approach, had just won the 2,000 Guineas. Getting a question he didn’t like, he loftily ended the interview. For a man who could have been held responsible for the actions of his employee, he seems rather confident.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
charlieprk's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, United States
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sheik Mohammed and Mahmood Al Zarooni doping scandal: Racing is in crisis - MARTIN SAMUEL | Mail Online

He only agreed to appear before camera at all because his horse, Dawn Approach, had just won the 2,000 Guineas. Getting a question he didn’t like, he loftily ended the interview. For a man who could have been held responsible for the actions of his employee, he seems rather confident.

Oh good grief... It seems that reality TV has infected everyone's minds and no one is happy unless cameras are following someone around 24/7 and picking up their every word.


Sheikh Mohammed has already issued a lengthy statement concerning this issue. He fired al-Zarooni, locked down his stables and is conducting an inquest into his other stables. He was swift and decisive in his action. Is that not enough? What else do want from the man?? Do you want him put in the stocks? Or flogged? See him burned at the stake? Or perhaps you want him to leave racing altogether and take with him hundreds (maybe even thousands) of jobs? Would that make you happy?


I don't blame the Sheikh for refusing to answer a silly question from an impertinent reporter. Her question was classless and downright tabloid and I wouldn't have responded to it either. The Sheikh has already made a statement about this matter and he doesn't owe the press anything beyond that. Anything else is just plain harassment.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
How interesting,so if Sheikh Mohammed´s horse got tested positive on doping in a large number I should defend myself because I do not speak proper Arabic? I miss to see the connection....

Again:I was not doing any business,I only assisted a friend who only speaks French & English and asked me to translate for him on the phone,nothing more...I did not take any money and I do not represent any company or organisation. I only did a favor to a friend who was unable to talk to the Emirati man on the mobile phone.

My issue is not the topic of this thread,but as it seems you like to use my lack of Arabic language knowledge to distract from the main topic -Who is the mastermind behind this whole doping mess?

You are right, your issue is not the topic of this thread....

But from whoever than you should we know about your personal impression (language problems by important people of the "foreign-owned" stables in Europe)? You add a personal touch to the topic. Remember? Read your own posts No. 38, 42, 46......Why do you like to show a deliberate misunderstanding?
.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieprk View Post
Oh good grief... It seems that reality TV has infected everyone's minds and no one is happy unless cameras are following someone around 24/7 and picking up their every word.

Sheikh Mohammed has already issued a lengthy statement concerning this issue. He fired al-Zarooni, locked down his stables and is conducting an inquest into his other stables. He was swift and decisive in his action. Is that not enough? What else do want from the man?? Do you want him put in the stocks? Or flogged? See him burned at the stake? Or perhaps you want him to leave racing altogether and take with him hundreds (maybe even thousands) of jobs? Would that make you happy?

I don't blame the Sheikh for refusing to answer a silly question from an impertinent reporter. Her question was classless and downright tabloid and I wouldn't have responded to it either. The Sheikh has already made a statement about this matter and he doesn't owe the press anything beyond that. Anything else is just plain harassment.
I agree with you charlieprk. The detection of doping was a "godsend" for the hot-blooded tabloid press, prone to exaggeration....Mostly they forget the objectivity. The matter was resolved quickly by all parties - comprehensively and competently. It was wise of Sheikh Mohammed to refusing to answer silly questions.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,602
Mahmood al-Zarooni has lodged an appeal over Godolphin steroids ban | Sport | The Guardian
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rac...g-scandal.html

Mahmood al-Zarooni has launched an appeal against the eight-year worldwide training ban he was given recently for doping horses with steroids. The news caught many in the sport by surprise, as Zarooni offered no defence at the original hearing 11 days ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Mahmood al-Zarooni has launched an appeal against the eight-year worldwide training ban he was given recently for doping horses with steroids. The news caught many in the sport by surprise, as Zarooni offered no defence at the original hearing 11 days ago.
In fact, this is very surprising....... Apparently, two different kind of souls dwell in his heart.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
I agree with you charlieprk. The detection of doping was a "godsend" for the hot-blooded tabloid press, prone to exaggeration....Mostly they forget the objectivity. The matter was resolved quickly by all parties - comprehensively and competently. It was wise of Sheikh Mohammed to refusing to answer silly questions.
Well,AFAIK there have been 15 horses tested positive,this is not a small number in this case.
This time,the press did not over-exaggerate,it was only right that they invest time and efforts into researching who and why this could happen.

Don´t tell me that the media is biased-if it is biased,it is biased in favour of Sheikh Mohammed because everyone in horse-business knows that there is far much more to lose than the 1000 jobs (or more,just a number from a British newspaper article) that are directly linked to Godolphin in Newmarket.Nobody wants Sheikh Mohammed to pull out from Great Britain,nobody wants him to invest his money elsewhere-but still: People expect him to play by the rules and they wish to see clean horse sport,no doping or any other illegal means to win the races.There is no racism,discrimination or bias,only the fact that a large number of horses have been tested positive and someone must accept responsibility for this.
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Well,AFAIK there have been 15 horses tested positive,this is not a small number in this case.
This time,the press did not over-exaggerate,it was only right that they invest time and efforts into researching who and why this could happen.
I agree, 15 horses tested positive is a large number. But with my statement I did not mean the investigating authorities. Of course, the approach of the authority was correct. They had to examine what is happened and who bears responsibility in any form. My statement was referring to the yellow press reports, which are over-exaggerate. They were like hungry predators catching their prey without mercy. I have missed a little bit objectivity in their reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
People expect him to play by the rules and they wish to see clean horse sport,no doping or any other illegal means to win the races.
This is also the concern of Sheikh Mohammed. He has responded quickly but with a pinch of sanity, prudence and assertiveness.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,602
Godolohin put Saeed Bin Suroor in charge of Newmarket stable | Mail Online
Godolphin drugs scandal yard set to stay shut until Royal Ascot | Sport | The Guardian
BBC Sport - Godolphin plans for Saeed bin Suroor stables move blocked

Godolphin's plans for Saeed bin Suroor to take charge of the Newmarket stables previously run by the banned Mahmood Al Zarooni have been blocked.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-10-2013, 04:16 AM
charlieprk's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, United States
Posts: 35
Dubai Equestrian Club pulls plug on Euston Park sponsorship. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/hor...onsorship.html

Can't help but wonder if this is related to the scandal. Also, Princess Haya was recently named head of the Dubai Equestrian Club.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
Interesting article,charlieprk :-) I do believe that it might have something to do with the doping scandal but who knows what thoughts or plans lead them to this decision?
I hope they will find someone else to sponsor the Endurance rides. Maybe Qatar or a rich private investor might jump in for Sheikh Mohammed´s investments?

Also interesting to know the number of his horses,I always knew he has a lot of horses,but so many horses are quite impressive! I imagine all of the horses running around free in Hyde Park (LDN)*lol*:

Sheikh Mohammed, who owns 700 endurance horses, had underpinned Euston for years, and funded world championship events. (taken from the telegraph article)

Also from the article above:
If Middle Eastern federations are excluded, endurance riding has a cleaner doping record than the Olympic discipline of show jumping worldwide.

Karen Collier added: “Endurance GB puts the welfare of the horse at the heart of our sport, with strict veterinary controls at all stages of our competitions.
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Godolphin's plans for Saeed bin Suroor to take charge of the Newmarket stables previously run by the banned Mahmood Al Zarooni have been blocked.
The main reason for this step is certainly the fact that the authorities want to wait for the results of further testing. Only then a decision of a successor make a sense.
__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
charlieprk's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orlando, United States
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post

Also from the article above:
[I]If Middle Eastern federations are excluded, endurance riding has a cleaner doping record than the Olympic discipline of show jumping worldwide.
Misleading quote. As far as I know, steroids are also allowed in training/therapy in the US & Australia. You just can't use them on race day. Europe is the only place where these substances are banned which is why the rest of the world has has met this scandal with a collective shrug.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieprk View Post
Misleading quote. As far as I know, steroids are also allowed in training/therapy in the US & Australia. You just can't use them on race day. Europe is the only place where these substances are banned which is why the rest of the world has has met this scandal with a collective shrug.
Right, in UAE the substances are also allowed for therapy or training legally.
__________________

__________________
ماجد (engl. translation: Majid)


Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dubai ruler, godplphin, sheikh mohammed doping case


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]