The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Dubai

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

No surprises there.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Godolphin drug scandal - Mahmood Al Zarooni banned for eight years: The rush to reach a judgment leaves a sinister smell - Jonathan McEvoy | Mail Online

Usually the BHA will drag this topic through a lot of disciplinary proceedings. I am sure Godolphin used their powers to have this topic quickly dealt with for image reasons, preferring a quick end to the unfortunate events instead of endless hearings of staff in order to get to the bottom of it

Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Godolphin drug scandal - Mahmood Al Zarooni banned for eight years: The rush to reach a judgment leaves a sinister smell - Jonathan McEvoy | Mail Online

Usually the BHA will drag this topic through a lot of disciplinary proceedings. I am sure Godolphin used their powers to have this topic quickly dealt with for image reasons, preferring a quick end to the unfortunate events instead of endless hearings of staff in order to get to the bottom of it
A tabloid press article......little research, but a lot of accusation. Sheikh Mohammeds reaction was powerful, quickly and in the right way. I am glad that it has been clarified quickly and that the error was added by Al Zarooni without long debates. After all, he was the coach, responsible for race horses and the honor of the stables. He should know who, at what time and what is given (and allowed) to the horses exactly.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Royal Highness

BBC reported a lot about the case,but they mainly put the blame on the trainer.
However,I cannot believe that the trainer risked his job by doing something like that or that he did not know about the doping laws.Sheikh Mohammed´s horses have already been tested positive before,no drastic measurements are taken because without him horse sport would lose one of its most important/rich sponsors,especially UK depends on him with his Newmarket stable and breeding program.
Let´s see what kind of evidence and further investigations will tell about this incident.
. Helen Keller
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
A tabloid press article......little research, but a lot of accusation. Sheikh Mohammeds reaction was powerful, quickly and in the right way. I am glad that it has been clarified quickly and that the error was added by Al Zarooni without long debates. After all, he was the coach, responsible for race horses and the honor of the stables. He should know who, at what time and what is given (and allowed) to the horses exactly.
It's not about SM's reaction but the reaction of the BHA. Such cases usually take months to be dealt with, the BHA taking their time. It was obviously in somebody's interest to get this case over with and out of the headlines. Fact is, Newmarket would be dead without Godolphin & Dubai Money.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whoever signs the entries is the responsible party, suspension wise. In general this is the trainer, though occasionally an owner might have to sign if the trainer is away and a deadline is about to expire.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Royal Highness

I just don´t understand why a trainer would risk his position and future with such a really bad move unless he is urged to do so or so much under pressure to deliver good results that he is willing to take every measurement possible to win, even if it is illegal....
. Helen Keller
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Before the conspiracy theorists start up - a few points

1. The Trainer has admitted that he made a mistake in believing that he could give the drugs to horses out of the season - I think that makes him stupid and he's paid the price

2. The owner is also paying the price because all of the horses affected are not allowed to run for 6 months.

3. Some of the horses were due to run soon - that really puts pressure on decision making particularly from the betting lobby because they needed certainty. Bets have had to be repaid on future races.

4. The response by Godolphin has been appropriate and timely.

I have no interest in horseracing except for the usual bet on the Derby but as an outsider, I can see that this issue has been dealt with appropriately. The UK media would be all over the owner and BHA etc if there was any doubt.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

@1.point:
I do not believe that the trainer made an "accident",in his position he MUST know the rules and legislation of the FEI,otherwise he is not in the right job and should seek a job in a less demanding position.
Also,I do not believe that Sheikh Mohammed hires idiots,he is a smart man and knows how to find the right people to work for him-if a trainer does not know the FEI laws,he is an ignorant person and should not get such an important job.
Just imagine all the damage now-not only that the horses won´t be able to run and that all the money put on the horses will need to be paid back,but also the problems that every other person working for Godolphin will endure?
Eeveryone who works for G. will be suspected of wrongdoing,even if the never did anything wrong. It will be difficult to erase the shame & bad reputation brought by this scandal.

@4.point:That´s true,they reacted promptly,but I would like to have further investigations and results,because this scandal needs to be researched properly.

Here a very interesting excerpt from the 1st article on page 1:

The trainer said: "Because the horses involved were not racing at the time, I did not realise that what I was doing was in breach of the rules of racing.

"I can only apologise for the damage this will cause to Godolphin and to racing generally."

The substances detected were ethylestrenol and stanozolol. Adam Brickell, director of integrity, legal and risk for the BHA, said: "Ethylestranol and stanozolol are anabolic steroids and therefore prohibited substances under British rules of racing, at any time - either in training or racing."
. Helen Keller
Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Let´s see what kind of evidence and further investigations will tell about this incident.
There won't be any further investigations or evidence. The BHA imposed a suitable ban that Godolphin accepts, in return the topic is dead now for the authorities.

It remains the sentiment, that is obviously also shared by other posters, that it is hard to imagine that Mr. Super-in-control gives such an important job to a crook.

But this is Dubai: They will deal with the foreign authorities the way they have to, nothing more, and the rest will be dealt with internally. Whatever that means.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

I completely agree with you,Duke of Marmalade...
(On a side note:Your last sentence reminds me a little bit of Prince Charles famous "whatever love is" statement in the engagement interview.I found it strange at first,but over the years I believe I better understand what he wanted to say,because who can really pin down and say what "love" is ?)
. Helen Keller
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

A long but very interesting article on this issue
Godolphin doping scandal threat to horse racing - Features - Scotsman.com

further infos
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rac...ed-police.html
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It's not about SM's reaction but the reaction of the BHA. Such cases usually take months to be dealt with, the BHA taking their time.
Even if the error was added or someone pleads guilty?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I just don´t understand why a trainer would risk his position and future with such a really bad move unless he is urged to do so or so much under pressure to deliver good results that he is willing to take every measurement possible to win, even if it is illegal....
That could it be...... some also believe that manipulation to remain undetected.....I am not familiar in the theory of equestrianism. But I mean that some substances are allowed in UAE, which are considered as doping in Europe. Add to this: some drugs (painkillers) contain ingredients that are among the banned substances in Europe or/and U.S.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I do not believe that the trainer made an "accident",in his position he MUST know the rules and legislation of the FEI,otherwise he is not in the right job and should seek a job in a less demanding position. Also,I do not believe that Sheikh Mohammed hires idiots,
If you do not believe that it was the trainers mistake, and you also not believe that SM hires persons, who are unsuitable - who do you think committed the error?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There won't be any further investigations or evidence. The BHA imposed a suitable ban that Godolphin accepts, in return the topic is dead now for the authorities.

It remains the sentiment, that is obviously also shared by other posters, that it is hard to imagine that Mr. Super-in-control gives such an important job to a crook.

But this is Dubai: They will deal with the foreign authorities the way they have to, nothing more, and the rest will be dealt with internally. Whatever that means.
Hmmmm.......Sounds true! Nevertheless I see it positive it was negotiated as quickly, without long discussions. Finally, it is also about the reputation and prestige.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks for the articles. Sorry, I am aware that it is a serious matter, but in the latter it is written: "Hitting back: Al Zarooni has claimed that the Sheikh advised him daily....." Ouch...... I did not expect, he strikes back.....Does it be true or just a trick of the hot tabloid press?

In an other part we read: "By Thursday evening, as the final stragglers in the offices around the BHA's headquarters in London's Holborn made their way home, Al Zarooni climbed into a chauffeur-driven saloon car, racing's pariah bound for the airport and Dubai quicker than a thoroughbred horse." Okay ..... the author´s horses seem to run away at a gallop .....Sometimes press articles are to smile because of the mode of expression (phraseology).....

In the first article then also incorrectly Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum called the Crown Prince of Dubai twice - bad press research I would say. It is uncertain whether one can believe all the writing......

Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Well,to me it looks as if the people involved gambled with "calculated risks",they probably did not expect to get caught or they might have hoped to be saved because of Sheikh Mohammed´s influental position and wealth.
A few years I have personally dealt with some of the people of the stables in Dubai because one of the horses had to be transferred to France,some of them did not even speak proper English so I would not be surprised if they do not understand the subtetlies of the laws of the FEI.However the doping rules are quite simple:

Ethylestranol and stanozolol (the substances found in the horses) are anabolic steroids and therefore prohibited substances under British rules of racing, at any time - either in training or racing.

Anabolic steroids are only allowed in Dubai and Australia,nowhere else in the world.

That is such a simple rule,that even my 3yr-old niece could understand it....

That the trainer took full charge is not a sign that he is guilty-usually guilty people take time,first neglect,or they try to make themselves look better and get away with less punishement through the help of a brilliant (and well-paid) lawyer.
That´s the way it usually goes,even if I know I am guilty I would wait to ask my lawyer and let him/her handle the situation to the best og my interest.Anything else would be foolish...
I see it that way:The trainer took all the blame so that the people higher up the ladder would not get the shame and so that Godolphin can say it was only the trainer´s fault...
. Helen Keller
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
A few years I have personally dealt with some of the people of the stables in Dubai because one of the horses had to be transferred to France,some of them did not even speak proper English so I would not be surprised if they do not understand the subtetlies of the laws of the FEI.
I do not know who you're talking there (ostler/ stable boy?) but I am firmly convinced that the important people of the stables understand English well. At least may be sure to find someone who speaks English well enough in the yard.

Quote:
Anabolic steroids are only allowed in Dubai and Australia,nowhere else in the world. That is such a simple rule,that even my 3yr-old niece could understand it....
That could be the problem. Someone (or the trainer) has forgotten this rule or might to be hoped it would not detected.....

Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Royal Highness

Well,hoping that a certain rule or breach of a certain law will not be detected is not the right way to do business....

I was certainly NOT talking to a stable boy,I was talking to an Emirati man who has a responsible position in the training of the horses,but for reasons of discretion I cannot disclose his name in a public forum.

. Helen Keller

Tags
dubai ruler, godplphin, sheikh mohammed doping case