The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Dubai

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

Without video or picture it is very hard to answer your question. However, I am sure that the little one is not Sheikh Rashid's daughter. However, the relationsship between Sheikh Rashid and his father isnt the best, that's no secret. But it's better than it was 2-3 years ago.

It is possible that the images / videos / or what you have seen showed Sheikha Aisha (daughter of Sheikha Latifa), Sheikha Sheema (daughter of Sheikha Sheikha), Sheikha Hind (daughter of Sheikha Hessa) or Sheikha Mouza (daughter of Sheikh Marwan) . As I said, the correct answer is only possible if you have a specific picture.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Serene Highness

Mashallah, externally Sheikh Saeed bin Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum has resemblance to Sheikh Rashid bMbR with a touch of Sheikh Maktoum bMbR to. And Sheikh Ahmed bMbR is a mixture of Sheikh Hamdan bMbR and Sheikh Maktoum bMbR now. Interestingly.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Royal Highness

Sheikh Majid opens Dubai International Jewellery Week 2012 | ALTA Arabia - The Middle East's Luxury Intelligence Site

A "new" old picture from the International Jewellery Week 2012 with a great picture of Sheikh Majid
Hes got such a charming smile:-)

And a video where he visits a health care-related event October 2012(Dubai Health Care):HH Sheikh Majid visits the DHA stand | Learn the Secrets of Good Health & Fitness
There were a lot of people,must have been a though job to listen to all of them carefully.He seems a little bit exhausted to me.

And heres a fairly new picture from January 2013:Scot golfer Gallacher crowned OMEGA Dubai Desert Classic 2013 Champion | ALTA Arabia - The Middle East's Luxury Intelligence Site

Ive noticed that he often wears a long kerkusha (the dangling string flowing from the neck),and Ive read that the length of the kerkusha bears a certain meaning-so what could we read out of Sheikh Majids style-Could you enlighten us,Imanmajed?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
First: Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your posts here.

To your questions: The issue of succession in rule is not automatically determined by the time of birth, but depends on the personal qualities and skills of a Sheikh in the UAE.

In the past 10 years there was several things which have spoken against an appointment of Sheikh Rashid as CP and showed his inappropriate character evidently. Also a lot of rumors are circulating about Sheikh Rashid. The truth is hidden surely somewhere in between. We can discuss here only by assumption. We will not be able to find the truth definitely. There is no public statement from the al Maktoum family for that issue which provides a clear explanation. That such a statement still takes place in the future is unlikely.

Thank you for the welcome. Your answer was so diplomatic and free of bias. I asked because I am a political buff and after observing the leadership in the area, Sheikh Rashid really stood out. So I wondered why there was so much mystery around him.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
A "new" old picture from the International Jewellery Week 2012 with a great picture of Sheikh Majid
Hes got such a charming smile:-)

And a video where he visits a health care-related event October 2012(Dubai Health Care):There were a lot of people,must have been a though job to listen to all of them carefully.He seems a little bit exhausted to me.

Ive noticed that he often wears a long kerkusha (the dangling string flowing from the neck),and Ive read that the length of the kerkusha bears a certain meaning-so what could we read out of Sheikh Majids style-Could you enlighten us,Imanmajed?
Thank you for sharing the articles, pictures and video with us. I agree with you: Sheikh Majid has a wonderful smile and exceptionally balanced appearance. Admirable, that is beyond question. In addition, he is very intelligent, traditionally and conservatively which has a good influence on his impeccable manners. I admire him.

The video certainly reflects that it is very hard to cope with such public appearances. But he does it with a lot of composure and self-confidence. A tower of strength. That's not easy when you want to give the same attention to all, the whole time under public scrutiny and many photographers make hundreds of pictures (with flash ) in a minute. This can be very exhausting. But to me he looks more outstanding. Excellent work!

To your last point: It seems that you are a attentive reader of the thread "traditions and cultures of the UAE and the Gulf countries" in the members corner. Well, we have discussed the topic of the lenght of the kerkusha one time. In the past - and only in the past - the lenght of the kerkusha showed the degree of love and inner feelings of a man. The longer it was the deeper his feelings.

Today, the length of the kerkusha has no meaning or significance. It is only part of our traditional clothing and indicates that the carrier is an Emirati or a person who has close ties with the Emirates. As I mentioned above, Sheikh Majid is very traditional. Thus we see him often with a khandoura including a "Emirati-length-kerkusha". Thats all and I hope, not to disappoint you with this simple answer. About length of his kerkusha we can not see into his heart. His feelings remain a mystery.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for taking time to answer my question,Ive read about the kerkusha in an old book my father bought in Abu Dhabi in the 70ies and I wondered if it was still accurate.Here,in Europe traditions and social dos and donts have changed dramatically in the last decades,especially in urban areas.For instance,there was a tradition that married women and unmarried women wear different dresses (they look the same to somebody who is unaware of the details,but they have certain features that indicate the social status of the woman.)
In Hawai they have a similiar custom:Wearing the hibiscus flower on the right or the left side tells you if a woman is already married or not:-)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

You are welcome! Another name for the kerkusha is tarboosh. It is used frequently in language in the UAE.

In all cultures clothes are used to express themselves, to maintain identity, to present your pride for your own culture and to belong to a particular group. Clothing is a cultural mirror that makes traditions visible and bring current style into life. Therefore, an interesting topic. Thanks for asking this.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness

al-Bayan : Sheikha Salama & Sheikha Shamma Bint Mohammed Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum progressing Knights Pink convoy 10,Feb,2013

Sheikha Salama and Sheikha Shamma events on the eighth day of the march Knights Pink convoy - an initiative of Friends of Cancer Patients charity - that roam throughout the UAE to raise awareness of the need for early detection of breast cancer and provide free tests for citizens and residents through mobile clinics for the Pink convoy was chosen Sheikha Salama and Sheikha Shamma to be Ambassadors for the Pink convoy .

2 Pics
س„ا…ة ˆ ش…‡ ب†ت …*…د ب† راشد تت‚د…ا† فرسا† ا„‚اف„ة ا„ˆردŠة - ا„بŠا†
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness

Companies and institutions who implemented sustainable transport projects and ideas were honoured on Tuesday by Sheikh Maktoum Bin Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, at the Dubai Awards for Sustainable Transport 2013. The fifth edition of the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) award was held under the patronage of Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

DAST award honours contributors to sustainable transport | GulfNews.com

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Royal Highness

Thats interesting! by the way,as much as I know Sheikh Maktoum is the only one in the family who does not ride horses (am I right?) and he seems to be the most serious working person from Sheikh Mohammeds children.Do we know anything about his hobbies,does he write poems or hunts with falcons?He cant be studying and working all day!Everybody should have some "fun" activities to relax and enjoy in order to relieve stress and remain a healthy body&mind.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Aristocracy

Actually Maktoum does ride horses but not like sh.Hamdan he also goes on falcon hunting trips wih his family.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

I didnt know that because I havent seen a picture or read about it,thanks for your information lady blue! It would be a little bit strange if he didnt ride horses when his father is one of the best-known thoroughbred-horse owners in the world.But I can understand that he doesnt want to compete in championships,because it is very exhausting and training-intensive.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

Sheikh Maktoum has won some championships in local equestrian events. He rides with the same enthusiasm as other family members. News - Horse Talk UAE

Furthermore, he is interested in football and modern technology. He has a lot of overall management capabilities: Currently he is the Deputy Ruler of Dubai (since 2008) and Chairman of Dubai Media Incorporated. Sheikh Maktoum is also the Chairman of Dubai Technology and Media Free Zone Authority (TECOM Investments). He accompanied his father and President HH Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan to several Gulf, Arab and international political and economic conferences.

He graduated from the American University in Dubai with a bachelor's degree in Business Administration in 2005 and attended diverse training courses in the Dubai School of Government, as well as Harvard University in US. Sheikh Maktoum is open minded and has also contributed to humanitarian causes. Along with his siblings (especially with Sheikh Majid, Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikha Manal and Sheikha Maitha), where he was a representative diplomat on behalf of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and played a major role during the Dubai Cares philanthropic campaign, which aims at educating more than a million children in the developing and poor countries.
Dubai Cares
Dubai Cares celebrates 5th anniversary - Khaleej Times
HH Sheikh Maktoum asks private sector to contribute to 'Dubai Cares' campaign | Dubai Cares | AMEinfo.com

Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

I knew he has studied a lot and works hard,but not that hes also competing in equestrianism.I just follow the UAE sports via Kaleeji and theNational,but didnt read anything about him there.
IMO he has the best formal education from Sheikh Mohammeds children,he can be proud of his acchivements.I cant really see him playing football,he always looks so serious and earnest but well,I was wrong with my other assumptions too:-)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
IMO he has the best formal education from Sheikh Mohammeds children,he can be proud of his acchivements.
Right, he has studied a lot and I agree with you that he is the most serious of Sheikh Mohammed's children. But he isnt the only one with a good education.

Sheikh Majid graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2006 and received his Masters degree on Security Crisis Management from the Dubai Police Academy in 2009.

Sheikh Hamdan studied at Dubai School of Government before he continued his studies in the UK where he graduated from Sandhurst in 2002 and later attended the London School of Economics.

Sheikh Rashid attended Sandhurst Military Academy in the United Kingdom and graduated in 2007.

Sheikh Mansour graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2008.

Sheikh Marwan has studied towards business and finance. What exactly, I do not know.

Sheikha Manal graduated to a Bachelor's degree in Interior Design and a Master's in Marketing of the American University of Dubai.

Sheikh Ahmed is still studying or have studied business and finance in the banking sector. But Im not sure in his case.

Some of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashids younger children are still at school or be at university.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Sheikh Maktoum studied at Harvard University, US? How reliable is your source? I personally never heard that any of Sh. Mohammed's kids studied at Harvard University. I do know that Sh. Maktoum graduated from AUD.
By the way, i don't think Sh. Hamdan got to actually finish his studies at London School of Economics. Don't know exactly why though..Maybe it was too hard for him.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Sheikh Maktoum attended several training courses at Harvard University. I think, I had written this in my post before. Right? He wasnt for several years in U.S. to be completed a study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
By the way, i don't think Sh. Hamdan got to actually finish his studies at London School of Economics. Don't know exactly why though..Maybe it was too hard for him.
First: Read my posts better. I have not written that he graduated or finished from London School of Economics. I wrote, that he attended the London School of Economics. He attended courses there, but did not graduate (same principle as in the case of Sheikh Maktoum at the Univerity in the U.S.). I think, there is an difference between the meaning of the english words of "graduated" and "attended". Is that correct?

Second: May I ask, why you feel that way about it? But please keep all strange remarks (hope, you know, what I mean) for yourself! You do not know his reasons for attending the courses, nor can you know if it was particularly difficult or easy for him. Here is an interview with Sheikh Hamdan from the last year. Maybe this article will help you in your considerations: http://vision.ae/en/special_report/a..._modern_prince

Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
May I ask, why you feel that way about it?
#1: IF you are attending a course AT ANY UNI you are studying THERE. It does not matter if it's 4 years of studying or 2 months of studying. YOU ARE STUDYING THERE. Let us use our logic here.
#2: It's a FACT that Sheikh Hamdan DID NOT finish his studies at London School of Economics. Now, as to WHY he didn't finish it i do not know. Maybe someone in this forum knows why and could enlighten us as to why he did not finish his studies. Especially for a status of Crown Prince; the more you study the better you are off. But perhaps, school is not that important for him. I understand that everyone is different, and they make their own choices as to what they want to pursue in life. As we can see school is an important factor for Sh. Maktoum.
Now, let us not get all touchy feely about the subject. I asked you that question because i have never heard of ANY of Sh. Mohammed's sons studying at Harvard. IF Sh. Maktoum did really attend some courses at Harvard i am 100% sure that the media would have mentioned. Especially because Sh. Maktoum has a very important position in Dubai. As we all know, after Sh. Hamdan's post comes Sh. Maktoum.

PS: "Strange remarks"? Sorry brother, what you talking about? This is a FORUM and any member of the forums has the right to share their ideas regardless if YOU like it or not. PEACE!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
#1: IF you are attending a course AT ANY UNI you are studying THERE. It does not matter if it's 4 years of studying or 2 months of studying. YOU ARE STUDYING THERE. Let us use our logic here.
Your logic is missing the final goal, if it is allowed to be noted....
If someone attends a course at University (no matter for how long), then he studied. Okay, I agree. However, it does not mean that he graduated a whole field of study at the end with a Bachlor or Master degree. So it is quite possible to study without having obtained a degree. Thats what I mean with "he attended". Its my logic here and I hope you can follow me.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Aristocracy

YUP! Now you make more sense!
I totally agree that you can attend a school and for some reason not be able to graduate. I have seen that a lot actually. Thanks for the article, i have read that article before where Sh. Hamdan states that "school is very important". But, the question is.. if so, why didn't he finish his own schooling?! This is something to consider. (Very interesting indeed)

Tags
sheikh mohammed's children, sheikh mohammed's daughters, sheikh mohammed's sons