The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady blue View Post
Shiekh Majid wouldn't be the fifth son if you count Marwan!!!
He is the fifth son , Rashid 1981, Hamdan 1982,Maktoum 1983, Ahmen 1984 so if we add Marwan the Majid would say he was the sixth son not the fifth
You are right. Sheikh Ahmed was born before Sheikh Majid. Sorry, my fault! So, my former post wasn´t an explanation, which brings us further ahead in this matter .... But I think, Sheikh Ahmed was born in February in 1987, seven/eight month before Sheikh Majid and not in 1984. http://www.en.acnolympic.org/acno/fi...php?id=60&l=en Please, correct me if I´m wrong.

But Sheikh Marwan is refered to the al Maktoum family with this title: http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=11392

I almost suspect, we can´t clarify the situation truely. Maybe Marwan is the biological son of Sheikh Mohammed, or maybe he is not and only an adopted child. In the latter case, the name-line of Marwan can not be right.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Aristocracy

Ahmed was born Feb 1984

Shiekha Hind is called Um Rashid it is costum to be called by ur first child in this part of the world like shiekh Mohammed being called Abu Rashid
The mother of Majid and Mansour would be called Um Majid
As for Um kalthoum that is not the case as the name umm kalthoum is a female name used as a first name prophet Mohammed's daughter was named um kalthoum.
Also when you are not married there are names associated with other names for example every Ahmed is named Abu shihaab until he has a son with another name also Hamdan is usually Abu Rashid and so one with other names

Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for your input,it´s very interesting to learn about the subtetlies of Arabic culture and I hope I can keep some of the information.
As a matter of fact I heard an Egyptian man in Dubai referring to Sheikha Hind as "Um Hamdan" and that´s why I assumed that some people chose to say that,but maybe he is taking Hamdans´name because he believes he is the Crown Prince therefore he must be the oldest son.(That man is more interested in horses than gossip so he may not know much about the extended Al Maktoum family.)

Yes, Um Kaltoum was deeply religious and therefore she carried the name of Prophet Mohammed´s daughter, but the word "Um" is used in the same way as in "Um Majid",the singer Um Kalthoum full name was ʾUmm Kulṯūm Fātima ʾIbrāhīm as-Sayyid al-Baltaǧī.Her father was an imam in a mosque and therefore he chose that special name.

But I don´t understand how Ahmed is turned into Abu shihaab?In Japan they sometimes connect a prefix at the end of the name if they want to say it very polite or if you use O, Go, or san prefix/suffix combination means someone else's; lack of it means it is yours. So there are different rules how to apply the suffix/prefix which sometimes copletely changes the meaning of the word. For instance in Arabic you have Salma BINT Mohammed (daughter of Mohammed) and than you have Khaled BIN Abdullah (son of Abdullah)-to an outstander it is only one letter difference! ... but how is the rule for non-married people?
. Helen Keller
Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ahmed was born Feb 1984
Sure? Do you know the exact date? As the attached link of United Arab Emirates National Olympic Committee mentioned, his birthday is officially confirmed for: 07/02/1987
http://www.en.acnolympic.org/acno/fi...php?id=60&l=en

Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Royal Highness

I believe they are using the correct date for the Olympics,it is probably a reliable source and they will verify the information before they upload it.But even the Olympic commite makes mistakes,like playing the wrong national anthem-which already happened twice...
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
For instance in Arabic you have Salma BINT Mohammed (daughter of Mohammed) and than you have Khaled BIN Abdullah (son of Abdullah)-to an outstander it is only one letter difference! ... but how is the rule for non-married people?
Name of honor (called: khunja) after the eldest son has nothing to do with marital status. In general, it would be unusual for us, unmarried and at the same time also have a child (out of wedlock). In case of divorce, the name of honor remains. The marital status is, as I said, not connected with the name of the award.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Gentry

Hello everybody ! This is my first post on TRF even I have been reading your posts for a long time now:)
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but today is sh.Mahra's birthday so HAPPY BIRTHDAY mademoiselle !
unfortunately no member of her family posted anything or whished her an happy birthday on social networks :/ ( not cool!)
I don't remember where exactly but I have read somewhere on TRFthat Mahra doesn't get on well with her others siblings, so that must confirm this idea
I haven't checked out all their accounts but from the few I went (Maitha, shaikha,Maryam 1st and 2nd) they ignored her :(

that's sad,poor Mahra.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by berber princess View Post
unfortunately no member of her family posted anything or whished her an happy birthday on social networks :/ ( not cool!)
that's sad,poor Mahra.
First:
Second: It isn´t cool to wish Happy Birtday to your sisters or brothers via social networks in my view-a form of impersonality. Maybe they congratulated her personally. For me it is a better way to show your siblings that they are important to you and you feel love for them through personal congratulation.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Gentry

@Imanmajed : Of course that's better to wish a happy birthday to a member of your family face to face ,but since al maktoum children often did so for other birthdays , I just meant that they forgot/ignored her ( deliberately or not, we don't know), which is not nice of them :/
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Hello! Welcome to TRF berber princess
Well, to regards of the Maktoum girls not wishing Sh. Mahra happy birthday via social media one could think many things. YES! The girls do wish happy birthday to their other sisters/ brothers on social media. But i think that when it comes to Sh. Mahra i can not say that "they don't get along well" because i don't know them personally, but one can definetely see that the maktoum girls are not use to Sh. Mahra. Mahra is pretty new in the DUbai scene, she was not born in Dubai, she didn't grow up in Dubai like all the others brothers and sisters did. So, it's kind of hard to just accept a new addition to the family. (Let's be honest here). I say, they are only acquainted but not close friends and that's why you don't see alot of interaction between them.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 AM

I noticed before that during her last birthday (18th?) she had 2 parties (or maybe one was for her 18th and the other for her 17th?) there were no siblings at either of them. Mo, of course, was present at one (which makes me think it was just 2 separate parties for her 18th) but there were no photos with siblings. I recall someone saying that she had been seen speaking to two of her sisters a few times at some events but none of the other siblings seemed to ever interact with her.

That said, I can fully understand why they may not interact with her. I personally have 3 half-siblings and I have only interacted with one via-mail a few times and the other 2 via-Facebook but I've not interacted with any in almost 2 years. It's hard to really "deal" with siblings you've never grown up with or who come from a different mother or father than your own. And, not to preach or get one a soapbox, but even if polygamy is accepted in the Middle East, I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for them to get along with their half-siblings when they probably know it must hurt their mother (even if she has been raised to accept it) to know their father has another wife and children. And awkward. And confusing. And... yeah. This is one reason why I'm hoping (most definitely wasting my time doing so) that Hamdan & his brothers choose monogamy - it saves a lot of drama, confusion and emotional turmoil for all. Just my opinion, of course - no offense intended at all or fight wanted. Please don't flame me! LOL

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later." - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Yes, Um Kaltoum was deeply religious and therefore she carried the name of Prophet Mohammed´s daughter, but the word "Um" is used in the same way as in "Um Majid",the singer Um Kalthoum full name was ʾUmm Kulṯūm Fātima ʾIbrāhīm as-Sayyid al-Baltaǧī.Her father was an imam in a mosque and therefore he chose that special name.

But I don´t understand how Ahmed is turned into Abu shihaab?In Japan they sometimes connect a prefix at the end of the name if they want to say it very polite or if you use O, Go, or san prefix/suffix combination means someone else's; lack of it means it is yours. So there are different rules how to apply the suffix/prefix which sometimes copletely changes the meaning of the word. For instance in Arabic you have Salma BINT Mohammed (daughter of Mohammed) and than you have Khaled BIN Abdullah (son of Abdullah)-to an outstander it is only one letter difference! ... but how is the rule for non-married people?
The word umm means the mother off , umm Majid is the mother of Majid ... Um kalthoum is a proper first name for a lady just like Sara or Fatima it is not a nick name or a call name , it means the lady with full cheeks . But the word umm has the same meaning .

When a man is not married he is nick named Abu (what ever his father name is) , Abu meaning the father of. In some cases there are famous names with spesific call names attached to them like the name Ahmed is abu shihab unless he has a son or you call him after his father, for example if we take shiekh Ahmed bin Mohammed he would be Abu Mohammed (after his father) or Abu Shihab.
There are other names also but I can't really think of any.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ahmed was born Feb 1984
Seems to be wrong, because Sheikh Maktoum was born in November 1983 (if my memory is correct). Since Sheikh Ahmed is his full brother (both have the same mother), he can hardly have been born in February 1984. In between there are only 3 months!

As I know, Sheikh Ahmed is born in February 1987 (the official homepage of the Olympic Committee of the Emirates mentioned this date also).

Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Um is a word for "mother of"+name of her oldest son,a honorary title that is sometimes used instead of her name-so let´s say we have Sheikha Hind we could also call her "Um Rashid" or "Um Hamdan" (because for reasons that have been already discussed enough in previous posts,Rashid is not in high esteem).
Quote:
Shiekha Hind is called Um Rashid it is costum to be called by ur first child in this part of the world like shiekh Mohammed being called Abu Rashid
The mother of Majid and Mansour would be called Um Majid
Also when you are not married there are names associated with other names for example every Ahmed is named Abu shihaab until he has a son with another name also Hamdan is usually Abu Rashid and so one with other names
Quote:
Thanks for your input,it´s very interesting to learn about the subtetlies of Arabic culture and I hope I can keep some of the information.
As a matter of fact I heard an Egyptian man in Dubai referring to Sheikha Hind as "Um Hamdan" and that´s why I assumed that some people chose to say that,but maybe he is taking Hamdans´name because he believes he is the Crown Prince therefore he must be the oldest son.(That man is more interested in horses than gossip so he may not know much about the extended Al Maktoum family.)
Regarding the name of honor: Usually it is correct like blue lady said, that the parents are named after their eldest son. In the case of Sheikh Mohammed and Sheikha Hind they were called Umm Rashid and Abu Rashid regular. But if someone wants to speak to the parents about a very specific child, then one uses the name of this child. So if you want to address to Sheikh Mohammed directly to his son Sheikh Hamdan (perhaps because Hamdan has just won a horse endurance race), then you can call him (Sheikh Mohammed) Abu Hamdan (to honor him as the father of the winner). It would be not wrong.

Sheikh Majid's mother is referred as Umm Majid, because her eldest son's name is Majid. When you want to respond Sheikh Mohammed regarding to his son Majid, then in this case you can say Abu Majid to him (make a sense, because he has more than one wife with a own eldest male child).

For instance: it sounds funny if we were to say: "Abu Rashid and Umm Majid, I want to speak with you about your son, Sheikh Mansoor". In this case better to say: "Abu Mansoor and Umm Mansoor, I want to speak about your son....." (from the beginning the parents would know, who do you want to talk about. )

It is therefore possible to appeal to a mother in her honorable name with the name of the eldest daughter, if she has no sons. In order if a woman would like, for example, talking about a specific daughter of the other women (eg want to know if this daughter is already engaged or not), then one uses the name of the daughter, who is meant.

There are so many variations. But the rule in general: the addressing by the name of the eldest son (if any).

Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
Seems to be wrong, because Sheikh Maktoum was born in November 1983 (if my memory is correct). Since Sheikh Ahmed is his full brother (both have the same mother), he can hardly have been born in March 1984. In between there are only 4 months!

As I know, Sheikh Ahmed is born in February 1987 (the official homepage of the Olympic Committee of the Emirates mentioned this date also).
I have to check FEI for passport copy but I am 100% sure he is older than Majid
Old 02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Gentry

im kinda curious how sheikh hamdan will treat mahra, i mean he is going to be the next vice president and "head of family" isnt it important for him to have a good relationship with all his siblings
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Aristocracy

Being crown prince does not mean he would be head of the family
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Being crown prince does not mean he would be head of the family
oh , then who would be after sheikh mohammed passing? just curious
Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcrackle View Post
oh , then who would be after sheikh mohammed passing? just curious
Please look at the thread: Future of Sheikh Hamdan as administrator We have this issue discussed there.

The status of CP is the third highest position in the emirate "only". The second highest position is that of the Deputy Ruler. Currently, Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum (brother of the current Ruler), hold and share this position in cooperation. The highest position is that of the Ruler. But the latter is clear, I think.

That Sheikh Hamdan is named CP doesn´t mean, he would be the next ruler of Dubai. Who will be the next ruler of Dubai is decided only, when Sheikh Mohammed is dead or if he can no longer fulfill his duties.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have to check FEI for passport copy but I am 100% sure he is older than Majid
Of that there is no doubt. Definitely Sheikh Ahmed is older than Sheikh Majid. Only unclear is the exact date of birth of Sheikh Ahmed. As far as I know, he was born in February 1987 and not in February 1984, because Sheikh Maktoum - his full sibling - is born November 1983. So Sheikh Ahmed may not have been born in February 1984. It would be very unlikely!

Tags
sheikh mohammed's children, sheikh mohammed's daughters, sheikh mohammed's sons