Sheikh Majid & Hessa Beljafla's engagement: January 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Sheikh Majid is engaged Hussa bint Baljaflah.She comes from a big family in Dubai. Not related to the ruling family.

The announcement was on instagram and on his forum.

Hussa is not a public figure though her sisters are. Her sister has a well know women's fashion line in the UAE, her name is Reem. Her sister Hind recently got married to Sheikh Majid Al Qassimi.

Last edited:
Do you know when the wedding will take place?

Sheikh Majid is engaged Hussa bint Baljaflah.She comes from a big family in Dubai. Not related to the ruling family.

The announcement was on instagram and on his forum.

Hussa is not a public figure though her sisters are. Her sister has a well know women's fashion line in the UAE, her name is Reem. Her sister Hind recently got married to Sheikh Majid Al Qassimi.

Mashallah. Alf mabrouk! Congratulations to him and his fiancee. Perfect match I think! Very good news! :flowers:
BTW: Her name should be Hussa bint Ali Beljafla.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Sheikh Majed & his bride :)

Mashallah. Alf mabrouk! Congratulations to him and his fiancee. Perfect match I think! Very good news! :flowers:
BTW: Her name should be Hussa bint Ali Beljafla.

They are known according to the DAS founders website "Reem & Hind Beljafla" I guess they leave out their fathers name which is Ali and use their surnames/tribe name.

Was there a official announcement made?? I haven't heard or seen anything about Sheikh Majid been engaged.

Was there a official announcement made?? I haven't heard or seen anything about Sheikh Majid been engaged.

There was been no official announcement as far as I know. But dazzling wrote it was mentioned on instagram and on Shaikh Majid´s forum.

Last edited:
Can someone in Dubai clarify if Majid is married or engaged? My source in the UAE said that he married to Hessa Beljafla. Most of the people on Instagram are saying that he signed the marriage contract and there are even photos of this. However, other people are saying that he is engaged and many others are wondering why there was no official announcement made in the press. Can anyone clear up this confusion? :flowers:

Can someone in Dubai clarify if Majid is married or engaged? My source in the UAE said that he married to Hessa Beljafla. Most of the people on Instagram are saying that he signed the marriage contract and there are even photos of this. However, other people are saying that he is engaged and many others are wondering why there was no official announcement made in the press. Can anyone clear up this confusion? :flowers:

I think a melcha was made which includes signing a marriage contract. A melcha is more a privat matter and celebrated with family and close friends only. From the legal point of view with melcha the couple tie the knot. The phase of melcha can be seen as a kind of official phase of an engagement, because the marriage was concluded now but not consumed yet.The last step is to seal the marriage with wedding reception. In the case of Shaikh Majid it is more likely that the last step was not made yet.

Last edited:
I think a melcha was made which includes signing a marriage contract. A melcha is more a privat matter and celebrated with family and close friends only. From the legal point of view with a melcha a marriage was closed. The phase of melcha can be seen as a kind of official phase of an engagement, because the marriage was concluded now but not consumed yet.The last step is to seal the marriage with wedding reception. In the case of Shaikh Majid it is more likely that the last step was not made yet.

Thank you, Imanmajed! :flowers:

I have never heard the word melcha before. Is that the same as what they call the Nikah? Also, would you mind telling me how to spell the melcha in Arabic writing? I am trying to learn Arabic & I am having trouble with some of the words that are native to the Gulf region.

Last edited:
I was told not to believe anything to a official announcement was made my UAE ruling family.

Can you break a Melcha?? Is that what Sheikh Hamdan had with the girl he broke his engagement too??

I was told not to believe anything to a official announcement was made my UAE ruling family.

The melcha is a private family affair and the ruling family would never make an official announcement about it. However, the marriage has been confirmed by posts on Sheikh Majid's forum, and by Instagram and Twitter posts by known friends and family members of the couple. Also, photos have been published of the event by Hessa's sister and a close friend of Sheikh Majid's. :flowers:

Can you break a Melcha?? Is that what Sheikh Hamdan had with the girl he broke his engagement too??

Melcha = marriage. You would have to divorce to break it. As far as I know, Sheikh Hamdan was only engaged. I never heard any reports of him signing a marriage contract with Sheikha Sheikha.

Perhaps Majid learned from his brother and kept his engagement to Hessa a secret until they were sure that they would marry. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I finally seen a picture of it. I was just confused cause I haven't seen anything on his official instagram and on other pages I looked on. I agree I think the ruling family decided to keep this a secret till they knew they was going sign a contract between the families. I think they learned from Hamdan's broken engagement.

as a complement to terms:

- khutooba (first sight or engagement)
- melcha (signing marriage contract)
- henna (special night celebreated by women)
- ers al reyayeel (men´s wedding reception)
- ers al hereem (women`s wedding reception)

Perhaps Majid learned from his brother and kept his engagement to Hessa a secret until they were sure that they would marry. :whistling:

It seems to be no longer a secret....:whistling:

I agree I think the ruling family decided to keep this a secret till they knew they was going sign a contract between the families.

A marriage contract seems to been signed (see #364), but this is a very private matter and usually not anounced officially by the ruling family.

Last edited:
So Sheikh Majid is getting married ? congratulations ! That's a very great and unexpected news !
Congratulations to both bride and groom:flowers:

From my understanding, there's no marriage ceremony held yet ? just the religious one , right ?

From my understanding, there's no marriage ceremony held yet ? just the religious one, right ?

Thats right. In UAE there is only religious one and is binding legally. A wedding reception may be held later.

Last edited:
I've read this girl will not be the ofgicial wife. Could this be true?

I've read this girl will not be the ofgicial wife. Could this be true?

Why not???? There is no reason not to take her as an official wife. The Beljafla family is a respected and very successful family. The girls of the family are well educated, have extensive knowledge in the international field. One of Hessa`s sisters is also married with an Shaikh and not hidden as a secret wife.

Last edited:
Because the engagement and the wedding has not been officially announced. No member of the groom's family referred to them and congratulated him publicly ...

Because the engagement and the wedding has not been officially announced. No member of the groom's family referred to them and congratulated him publicly ...

Mariquilla: Shaikh Majid binding to the daughter of Ali Beljafla via melcha. Perhaps it can compare with a Western type of engagement. It is a very private matter which would not made ​​public in any case by the ruling family and which is celebrate only in the circle of family and close friends. Within this ceremony the marriage contract will be signed and bride and groom tie the knot. Now the couple is considered to be married legally. Therefore from this day the couple can see each other, talk to each other in private and refer to themselves as spouses. But the marriage is not consumed yet and the couple do not live together. With the official wedding reception which can celebrated weeks, months or even years later the marriage will sealed and the couple begin a married life together. With the wedding reception the marriage will be officially announced also.

As a hint for those who are interested in the customs of gulf region: In the members area there is a thread which helps to understand cultural and traditional things of UAE and the gulf states. There's more to learn about different topics like engagements, weddings, divorces, traditions, way of life in the UAE and gulf countries, food, spices, heritage, family life, present and past and and and......

May you will have a look: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...tes-social-and-cultural-traditions-32797.html

Apparently nothing was signed between the couple and they are only engaged. Many families go ahead with a melcha but that does not necessary that they start living together as husband and wife, they wait for the big day to do so.

People don't congratulate publicly when its an engagement, its not a big deal. When the wedding has taken place then people will start congratulating the Sheikh publicly and in newspapers.

Last edited:
Apparently nothing was signed between the couple and they are only engaged. Many families go ahead with a melcha but that does not necessary that they start living together as husband and wife, they wait for the big day to do so.

People don't congratulate publicly when its an engagement, its not a big deal. When the wedding has taken place then people will start congratulating the Sheikh publicly and in newspapers.

So there not married?? Just engaged.

Married or engaged :) congratulations to the couple

So there not married?? Just engaged.

Read posts #23 and #24: Their wedding reception has not taken place. They tied the knot legally but it should be seen more as a kind of an engagement you may know. :flowers:

Last edited:

I think people are getting confused because of translation. An engagement in the modern Western world is not legally binding. It is really difficult to translate melcha but I think that using the word engagement or betrothal in it's place is probably not the best idea because it does not convey the serious nature of the melcha. However, those in the West that are familiar with the Bible will easily recognize this tradition because it is the same practice that is talked about throughout scripture. :flowers:

There are photographs on Instagram of Majid signing a marriage contract. He is in the presence an Islamic cleric and a man who I believe to be the bride's father.

Instagram
Instagram

Hessa Beljafla's sister, Hind, just posted a photo on Instagram that says "Hessa Bride".
Instagram

Yes, its very confusing. I have done some reading on a melcha, but its still a little confusing.

Yes, its very confusing. I have done some reading on a melcha, but its still a little confusing.

There was a lot of explanations here, I think. Maybe a short version will be more enlightening:

melcha=engagement with signing a marriage contract - private matter
wedding reception=start a married life together - publicly

You will not find public announcements for melcha which is quite normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom