Princess Haya's Title

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Bubbette@May 7th, 2004 - 11:06 am
isn't she now Sheikha Mohammed?
I read somewhere that she is to keep her name Haya Al Hussein after marriage

My Arabic isn't good but the two letters on the site were "H" and "M", which means it stands for Haya and Moh'd. QR's site displays also "R" and "A". The difference is that QR is holding Abdullah's name, she switched from Al Yassin to Al Abdullah but Haya didn't, she didn't even change her title, she's still—according to her site-- HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein, not a Sheikha or Haya Moh'd, so why did she put the initials of her husband?
Also, what will happen to Team Harmony? It's still under construction but will it ever be proceeded?

I think the reason might be that while she has her husband's name, she is still a Jordanian Princess and so identifies herself as the daughter of the late King Hussein. As far as I know she has no new royal title through her marriage. The media continues to refer to her as Princess of Jordan.

magnik said:
I don't know how it is, but on the official site she is still as HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein. She is know as Princess Haya bint Al Hussein too.
http://www.princesshaya.net/profile.shtm

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Her correct name and title is: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan, wife of HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai[/FONT]

i have a question being a sheikha is something you born with or after you married with a sheikh automatically you become a sheikha?

Veram98 said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Her correct name and title is: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan, wife of HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai[/FONT]
Yes, I know. But isn't she now as a wife of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Moktum, PM and Vice President of the UAE, Ruler of Dubai only HRH Pss Haya bint Al Hussein?

azrayy said:
i have a question being a sheikha is something you born with or after you married with a sheikh automatically you become a sheikha?
Shaikh, also rendered as Sheik, Shaykh or Sheikh (Arabic: شيخ), is a word in the Arabic language meaning elder of a tribe, lord, revered wise man, or Islamic scholar. A daughter or wife of a Sheikh (lord) is sometimes called Sheikhah (Arabic: شيخة).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikhahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikha (not always a good source)

Last edited:
azrayy said:

Your born with it and its taken when you marry a sheikh if its an official wedding.

magnik said:
Yes, I know. But isn't she now as a wife of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Moktum, PM and Vice President of the UAE, Ruler of Dubai only HRH Pss Haya bint Al Hussein?

Jordanian princesses do not lose their titles after marriage. Princess Basma, the daughter of a King like Haya, is still known as Basma bint Talal and not by her husband's name.
Princess Haya's "HRH" ranks above her husband's "HH" anyway.
King Hussein's other married daughters are also known by their father's name.
The royals of Brunei do things the same way, a sultan's daughter is still known by her father's name after her marriage, this is an Islamic tradition which seems to be prevalant among many Muslim royal families.

Humera said:
Jordanian princesses do not lose their titles after marriage. Princess Basma, the daughter of a King like Haya, is still known as Basma bint Talal and not by her husband's name.
Princess Haya's "HRH" ranks above her husband's "HH" anyway.
King Hussein's other married daughters are also known by their father's name.
The royals of Brunei do things the same way, a sultan's daughter is still known by her father's name after her marriage, this is an Islamic tradition which seems to be prevalant among many Muslim royal families.
Yes Humera I wrote that she is still with her father's name.:) I'm only curious is what about "of Jordan" as she is a wife of the Ruler of Dubai?

magnik said:
Yes Humera I wrote that she is still with her father's name.:) I'm only curious is what about "of Jordan" as she is a wife of the Ruler of Dubai?

what do you mean "of jordan"

with the middle eastern royalty, i don't think the sheikhas or princesses take on their husband's identity at all when they get married. they are still known as .....daughter of..... sheikha manal, although married to sheikh mansour bin zayed, is still referred to as sheikha manal bint mohammed, wife of sheikh mansour bin zayed, minister of presidential affairs. does that make any sense, magnik. i think when princess haya is referenced to dubai that is incorrect.

magnik said:

well that's because she is still a Princess of Jordan as well as the wife of Sheikh Muhammad.

miss b said:
with the middle eastern royalty, i don't think the sheikhas or princesses take on their husband's identity at all when they get married. they are still known as .....daughter of..... sheikha manal, although married to sheikh mansour bin zayed, is still referred to as sheikha manal bint mohammed, wife of sheikh mansour bin zayed, minister of presidential affairs. does that make any sense, magnik.

It goes for princesses/sheikhas and the normal people in the UAE. Name does not change.

i think when princess haya is referenced to dubai that is incorrect.[/quote]

Yes. That is incorrect, but as another member clarifyed its a western way of saying

Haya cant be compared to Queen Sofia. The latter received a Spanish title after her marriage. Haya's only title is HRH Princess of Jordan, she got none after marrying Sheikh Muhammad. She cant be called Princess of Dubai, there's no such thing, nor is "wife of Sheikh Muhammad, ruler of Dubai" a title.
Haya's royal title, therefore, is still Princess of Jordan.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia was given the title of Queen of Spain just on 1975 when General Franco allowed them to back,she was married to Juan Carlos on 1962,and she had a title of Greek princess daughter of the King,which she didn't lost,but after her marriage with Juan Carlos,she kept her title of Princess,but without of Greece,between 1962 and 1975.

I don't say she should be called princess Haya of Dubai,since in Dubai they don't give title of princess but shikha,I said she should be called Princess Haya wife of Sheik Mohamed Maktoum of Dubai,without of Jordan.

dazzling said:
Thanks for clarifying the X and Y thing and i understand where they get it from but it is not done that way in this region.

Yes correct HRH is her tiiel in the UAE the titles are HH. Haya's title is higher than HH (i hope someone can correct me, but im pretty sure that it)

As in press in the Area/region she is refferred too as wife of sheikh Mohammed not as jordan and dubai princess. So maybe the west adapted their syatem of refferring titles to Haya when it does not happen in the arab world.

Ok, thank you for sharing that. I understand now. I also understand now why on her official site she uses only the title she was born with.
So only the first wife of the sheikh is "sheikha"(sp), is that right?

Dazzling, you are right about how the Western press "adapts" the titles of the Arab world to their equivalent or closest relation in the Western traditions. In the West, the media doesn't really know how to distinguish among the wives. So many of us are very ignorant of your part of the world. But we're learning, I guess! :)

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio said:
Ok, thank you for sharing that. I understand now. I also understand now why on her official site she uses only the title she was born with.
So only the first wife of the sheikh is "sheikha"(sp), is that right?

:)

First, second third and fourth wife can be "a sheikha" but only when Married and its been announced. Its usually not given when the sheikh marry's in a very low ceremony or without anyones knowledge (something like a secret marriage).:)

Veram98 said:
You cannot compare Muslim royals or princes with royals in Europe, where a woman marrying a prince is sharing his title almost automatically or gets at least another title (like Camilla). In Muslim countries it is rather unusual that she gets a new title, she usually becomes just “the wife of” and keeps the title she had before (if she had one). Most of the spouses of sheikhs in the Gulf region or Saudi princes for example are sheikhas or princesses because they were members of the same royal or princely families as their husbands and got the title by birth (marrying later a more or less distant cousin like Sheikha Hind). Of course, a ruler can confer such a title to a wife if he wants to honor her this way. Lalla Salma was the first wife of a Maroccan king to be bestowed with the title of a princess (not queen). But why should a royal princess like Haya want to become a lower-ranking sheikha?

The Hashemites are following special rules – more familiar to Westeners: in Jordan the wife of the prince becomes a princess of Jordan and her royal highness and takes on the name of her husband: PP Alia al-Faisal, Reem Ali, Noor Hamzah etc. and, of course, Queen Rania al-Abdullah or Noor al-Hussein. But this is the exception in the Arab world – as well as the title queen for the consort of a king.

Thank you for the information. I have read this thread with interest. It amazes me the debate that PH's marriage to SheikhMo brings to these forums - either people approve or they don't.

Last edited:
Someone help me--why isn't she sheikha haya?

Simply because she is a Princess in her own right.

What is more power-name, sheika or princess? Does somebody know?

What is more power-name, sheika or princess? Does somebody know?
Princess outranks both Sheikh and Sheikha. Shk & Shka are for "Ruling" families whereas Princess and Prince are for "Royal" families.

Also, Haya is a descendant of the Prophet Muhammad, huge plus compared to any Shk. or Shka.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom