The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
Well it appears she's proud about being the first Arab to be in a UN position. What's wrong with that? Many of groups of people are always happy about being the "first" in something or another. Forgot about the equestrian club position. :o Also, Haya was pursuing a dream that apparently she had for a long time. I can't see how it would be a problem for anyone to follow there dreams.

IMO, she did accomplish a lot before marrying. However, maybe you missed or tend to ignore the things she did while she was in Jordan, and while being abroad. I'm too lazy, and that is really sad, to go search and type up information about the things she has done before marrying. Some people make the situation seem as if being married to Shk Mohammad has made her somehow. While she may have gained a few positions she didn't have at first, Haya was well known before becoming married, and her list of accomplishments prior to marrying speak for themselves.
don't get me wrong, i am not saying that she had accomplished nothing before being married..... but all i am saying is, that since she has been marroed, she has gotten into some better, more meaningfull and higher positions. look, the UN thing is a great thing - but the means of getting it are not on merit of previous accomplishments. people who work for the UN usually work tirelessy in the field they become goodwill ambassadors. did you ever see haya work for the abolishment of world hunger?? or any sort of charity that dealt with feeding and providing for those you do not have?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Courtier

Not sure, but before being appointed the position by Kofi Annan, she did focus her charitable work for those less fortunate in Jordan, and now Dubai. Now as a goodwill ambassador, she can flex her muscles, and reach beyond to help other less fortunate in other countries. I don't recall reading anywhere either where Angela Jolie worked tiredlessly in her field before becoming a goodwill ambassador, but she is one, and since becoming one, she has done extensive work. Haya has done a lot of humanitiarian work, so maybe it wasn't necessary that she had to have experience in abolishing world hunger. Does anyone know how the ambassador program works?

Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Courtier

This link discusses PH's appointment.

www.wfp.org/english/?moduleID=137&K=1977.

Some of the points from this article.

* Princess Haya, daughter of His Majesty the late King Hussein Bin Talal of Jordan and wife of HH General Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and Denfense Minister of the UAE, was appointed WFP's goodwill ambassador last October by WFP's Executive Director, James Morris.

* WFP's Excutive Director James Morris said it was such a great honour for WFP to have such a prominent advocate of the hungry poor. "Her Royal Highness philanthropy, dedication, and distinguished record of public service and her outstanding commitment to humanitarian causes will undoubtedly help us reach out to more people, not only in the Arab and Muslim world, but across the globe."

It also goes on to state that her appointment was by Kofi Annan. So, she didn't approach anyone. She was appointed by James Morris. Now if she hadn't been doing anything at all besides riding horses, do you think James Morris would publicly get on the WFP website to praise her for things she has done if they weren't true? No. I don't think so.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Majesty

This discussion seems to be going around in circles. As Little_star has pointed out, Princess Haya is now a Princess of UAE and that is where her first loyalties lie. Her duties now reflect her postion as wife of Sheik Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai and she is probably expected to participate in more prominent undertakings for Dubai. I see no reason why she shouldn't participate in charitable organizations for Dubai and for the UN if she has Mohammed's blessing. Given her warm, enthusiastic personality, it came as no surprise (to me) that she was chosen as a UN Goodwill Ambassador.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Nobility

http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=403579

Arab royalty in Malawi to see hunger "face to face"

Blantyre, Malawi, 12/29 - Princess Haya Bint al Hussein, daughter of the late King Hussein of Jordan, spend a daylong visit to Malawi on Wednesday to see first-hand the impact of the food crisis affecting the poor southern African country.

Princess Haya, who is the UN World Food Programme (WFP)`s Goodwill Ambassador, told PANA at the end of her day-long tour her visit was touching as she has seen "hunger face-to-face."

She added: "I have had a fascinating day and I can`t ever seen my life ever being the same after what I have seen today. I will be able to eloquently tell the world how hunger looks like and how it is affecting people, not only in Malawi, but the world over."

The princess, who is married to the Crown Prince of Dubai, the United Arab Emirates` Defence Minister, General Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, arrived in the country on a chartered flight.

On arrival she drove to a remote village in the southern district of Chiradzulu, 20 km east of the commercial capital, Blantyre.

"I want to talk to people and understand what they are going through so I can speak to the world on their behalf," she said. "Malawi experiences food shortages every year...and the cameras are not always there to tell the world" the story.

She visited a WFP food distribution site in the district where - seated on a simple plastic chair - she interacted with hungry villagers, including old men and women, children orphaned by AIDS and people living with HIV/AIDS.

Dressed casually in trousers and a WFP blazer, the princess heard from the villagers how dry spells had affected harvest of the staple food maize. She also heard of how HIV/AIDS had weakened a lot of them from working in their gardens.

Princess Haya, an accomplished athlete who has won several international accolades in Equestrian Sport (Show Jumping), displayed her athletic prowess when she sprinted for cover when a heavy downpour interrupted her visit.

Later she told PANA: "I have seen hunger face-to-face. Poverty is often only a file on someone`s desk until they are confronted with its realities."

She added: "It is unforgivable that, in this day and age, people are still living under such dire circumstances and are suffering from extreme hunger and poverty. It`s insane that this is happening in the world today and there should be more done to stop it."

According to the WFP, some ten million people in six countries in southern Africa are on the brink of starvation after failed harvests in the region.

In Malawi alone, five million people are said to be in urgent need of food aid, the UN agency said.

The WFP`s traditional Western donors have been from the USA, Britain, the European Union and Scandinavian countries.

Domenic Scalpelli, the WFP country director for Malawi, said Princess Haya`s visit provided a perfect opportunity for the UN agency to start speaking to the oil-rich Arab states and tap their huge potential for assistance.

"She became the first Arab and first woman to take up this position (of WFP Goodwill Ambassador) and she chose Malawi because she was shocked with what she read and listened on the hunger situation here," he said.

Princess Haya flew back home to Dubai late Wednesday.

Also.Malawi hunger shocks Jordanian princess
by Isaac Masingati, 31 December 2005 - 04:07:19
Her Royal Highness Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan Thursday said she was shocked with the extent of the food crisis in the country.
Princess Haya was on her first field visit as a United Nations World Food Programmes Goodwill Ambassador to see the impact of the food crisis in the country.
Speaking after visiting a WFP food distribution centre in Chiradzulu and a childrens nutrition and rehabilitation centre at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH) in Blantyre, Haya said she was touched to see how people, particularly children, were affected by the food shortage.
She said she would raise alarm for international awareness now that she had seen how children were suffering from the food shortage and how people were affected by HIV and Aids.
Much of the worlds attention is focused on major crisis areas, but Malawi experiences food shortages every year, and the cameras are not always there to tell the world, said Haya.
She said she was touched by the food crisis in Malawi because of, among other things, the high prevalence of HIV and Aids which has made peoples livelihood extremely fragile.
Haya, who was made WFPs Goodwill Ambassador last October by WFPs Executive Director, James Morris, said it was sad that the world had become used to seeing the faces of hungry children on television clips yet no one does anything to change that.
What we see on the screen is nothing compared to what is actually on the ground and I feel that it is my duty to experience that myself and relay it to the world, she said.
Up to 4.9 million people in the country need food assistance and the WFP is providing half of the requirement.
Haya, who came with a tight security of six officers and five officials, flew in on a 200-seat American Arab Emirates (UAE) chartered plane and left for Dubai the same day.
She is daughter of late King Hussein Bin Talal of Jordan and wife of General Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, crown prince of Dubai and defence minister of the UAE.
In his remarks, WFP country director Momenico Scalpelli said his organisation would scale up food distribution from the current 1.3 million people to 2.4 in January.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Courtier

I 'm happy for Princess Haya for the two titels and i believe that she has working hard, but don't get me wrong I really wonder if she has receives thoose titels if Sheikh Mohammad was'nt in her live.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Haya is not restricted to having only certain "interests". I think she could have easily accomplished the same things w/o Shk Mohammad's influence.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Courtier

She looks so wonderful with her with ice outfit. So glamourous.

Certainely Princess Haya is very intelligent. She has a target and she worked hard to get it. I admire her for the fact that she "gets what she wants" with "intersting connections". Very smart.

"Happy birthday 32 Princess Haya"
Old 05-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ
just because sheikh mohammeds other wives do not run around in public does not make them any less important. why not reverse the comment, haya might be trying so hard, because she is jealouse of the standard he holds sheikha hind to.
I have always been rather suspicious of people who are political as if they are really good as they PR to be. I am glad the ones who are not as vocal about their goodness are recognized within the inside people. :)

"So I guess you would apply the same standard to Sheikha Hind? After all as Mo's wife she hasn't earned any of her wealth, just utilised his?"

Shikha Hind is a first causin to Mo. Thus she is part of the family which means money is not an issue for her. She also has many children with him-a traditional women are like that-they do not also seek the spotlight as they are raised to be discreet. PHaya is very political just like her father-plus she is very much of an western woman in education who feels comfortable being indpendent and getting the spotlight. She is also not as traditional, which may well-fit Sheikh Mo`s forward personality.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julial
I have always been rather suspicious of people who are political as if they are really good as they PR to be. I am glad the ones who are not as vocal about their goodness are recognized within the inside people. :)
Just because a person receives publicity for their good deeds doesn't make their actions any less valuable. After all, Angelina Jolie is always under the spotlight when she carries out a UN mission, nobody questions her sincerity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julial
Shikha Hind is a first causin to Mo. Thus she is part of the family which means money is not an issue for her.
I understand money isn't an issue for Hind, I was just wanting to know why a poster earlier expected Haya to "earn her money" and whether they applied the same standard to Hind.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
UN Ambassadors don't take sacks of rice or money with them on their visits. It's not done, so why you would expect the rules to change for Haya?!
Thank you for pointing this out. I've tried to in previous posts....

Quote:
Furthermore are you suggesting that as a muslim Haya should only help other muslims?!
Wouldn't be a first time...something similar was suggested. The difference was the other poster felt she should help muslims first, then everyone else. However, she is already doing that.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Zabadani, SYRIA
Jordan's Princess Haya, goodwill ambassador of the World Food Program, visits a Lebanese refugee camp in Zabadani, 40 kms west of Damascus, Syria 04 August 2006. UN and other humanitarian organisations estimate that between 700,000 and 800,000 people have been forced from their homes since the Israeli military moved against Lebanon after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers on July 12. Some 140,000 Lebanese are sheltering in Syria, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

photos from LOUAI BESHARA/AFP/Getty Images & AP + Reuters (via yahoo)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71583063.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	257747   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583071.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	257748   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583096.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	257749   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583105.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	257750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	71583113.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	257751   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583132.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	257752   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583160.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	257753   Click image for larger version

Name:	71583239.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	257754  

Attached Images

Old 08-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Love the pictures Jess. Thanks for posting them.
Its wonderful to see Princess Haya fully embracing her work for the WFP, she's proving to be a good ambassador for the program, especially at a time like this.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Love the pictures Jess. Thanks for posting them.
Its wonderful to see Princess Haya fully embracing her work for the WFP, she's proving to be a good ambassador for the program, especially at a time like this.
I love these pictures of Princess Haya! It is wonderful that she is so involved with refugees in Syria. I like the one where she is looking at several babies.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Nobility

great pictures, wonderful to see princess haya using her power & fame for such a humanitarian cause.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Courtier

thanx for posting the pictures , although the people are refugees and suffering but they seems happy to see princess Haya

good work princess
Old 08-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Just love the Pictures of Princess Haya. Onet thing I love about her is how natural she appears in the photos. She looks great with makeup and without it. It just proves she has natural beauty.
For those who have seen the Earth from space, and for the hundreds and perhaps thousands more who will,The experience most certainly changes your percetive.The things that we share in our world are far more valuable than those which divide us.
Donald Williams.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Courtier

totally agree , PHaya is so simple person , i think she gained this rom her late mother .
And there does not come a moment when I do not look into the sky or indeed at anything beautiful and am not reminded of him whom I loved most in life and find a joy in the knowledge that .....he is finally reunited with Her whom I loved most
Old 08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Courtier

Princess Haya in Syria helping the children of Libanon

http://pdf.lahamag.com/pages/08-2006/309People01.pdf

It was too good to be true...
Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Courtier

UNITED NATIONS, UNITED NATIONS: Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein of Jordan, wife of Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai, and Goodwill Ambassador for the World Food Programme, speaks during a program launching the United Nations Humanitarian Appeal 2007, 30 November 2006, at UN headquarters in New York. The program is an annual appeal to donors to replenish funds that the UN uses for humanitarian aid. AFP PHOTO/Stan HONDA (Photo credit should read STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images)

Photo 1 http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679433&cdi=0
Photo 2http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679437&cdi=0
Photo 3 http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679475&cdi=0
Photo 4http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679426&cdi=0
Photo 5 http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679391&cdi=0
Photo 6 http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679412&cdi=0
Photo 7 http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...72679424&cdi=0

Tags
goodwill ambassador, princess haya, princess haya un, princess haya wfp, princess haya wfp goodwill ambassador, wfp