The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Well,there are not many poems available in English so I canīt say.I havenīt read enough of his writing that I would feel comfortable to give an opinion,but I do like the poem he wrote for Sheikha Hind.
The love poems...ahhem..I think you already know;-) They are not my cup of tea,but I believe most girls go crazy when they hear such poems and he has a beautiful way of reciting his poetry.
I have to admit that I swoon a bit when I hear Hamdan read his poetry in Arabic. I have no what he's saying but it sounds lovely.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think you misunderstand that proverb-for people who are not as attractive as Sheikh Hamdan or Aishwarya Rai, it means they can still snatch a good-looking,smart & nice partner-because in the dark of the night everything looks the same
I understand the meaning of the proverb well, but I was trying to look at it from another side.....from a poetic point. Sheikh Hamdan looks "gray" in the middle of the night, like anyone else of us. And we "carry the same color" like Sheikh Hamdan in the darkness. At the end, the inner values ​​count - and this is also true when you see it in brightness.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
Back to the topic: What do you think about the poetry style of Sheikh Hamdans poetry? Do you like?
The problem for us non-Arabic speakers is that his poems do not translate well into English. I think the problem stems from the fact the English language does not have as many descriptive words as Arabic so when they translate it, it comes out sounding strange. I will use this poem as an example to show what I mean:

Quote:
To my mother

For all its vast ocean, Dubai seems small
Because its sun has disappeared

Weep, Dubai`s deserts and trees
And the birds have lost their will to sing

And Zabeel, its palace darkened
Only the echo replies

And stars seek their full moon
Which will illuminate the dark black night

Oh candle and light of our house
Oh mother,with yearning, I am burning

If my verses are not enough
My sighs show my yearning

She lends her fragrance to the breeze
Scented flowers are green with envy

The heart beats with with her memory
The vision of her in my eye sleeps

My Allah bestow long life upon her
To stay with us so long

And bring her soon from her travels
By His will she will return in good health
I love this poem, but in English it almost sounds as if he is writing to a lover and not his mother. Especially phrases like this:

Quote:
Oh mother,with yearning, I am burning

If my verses are not enough
My sighs show my yearning
We would never use words like "burning" and "yearning" about our mothers because those words, when said to or about another person, are used to convey passion, romance or sexual desires. Of course, the other problem with the English language is that our words often have double meanings. For example, phrases like "my house is burning down" or "I am yearning to learn about Arabic culture" have nothing to do with love or romance. It can be very confusing unless someone explains the meaning behind it.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I understand the meaning of the proverb well, but I was trying to look at it from another side.....from a poetic point. Sheikh Hamdan looks "gray" in the middle of the night, like anyone else of us. And we "carry the same color" like Sheikh Hamdan in the darkness. At the end, the inner values ​​count - and this is also true when you see it in brightness.
You are right, the inner qualities are the most important. I have found that a person's character can actually make them become more or less attractive then what they really are.

For example, Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian would be considered attractive women. However, their actions and attitudes are not always good so when you see them you become repulsed by them even though they might be considered attractive on a physical level.

Another example is this - my friends and I watched the movie "Sense & Sensibility" that starred the actor Alan Rickman. He is older and not someone that my friends or I would typically find attractive. However, his character was so nice and kind to Kate Winslet's character in the movie that we all fell in love with him and had to go and watch all his movies. Silly, I know. But it just shows how actions can change someone's perception of you.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

Muhaha,two men discussing that inner values are more important than looks,I canīt stop myself from laughing!
If there is anyone who rather looks at inner qualities (kindness,intelligence,humour,empathy,experience,creativity etc.) than it would rather be females,how else can you explain that so many young & pretty women fall for older guys? I know itīs a clichee but if you look around you will find out that most men are judging women mainly by standards of appearance. (Not all of them-of course,but for the vast majority itīs true.) That also (partly) explains why divorced men do get remarried more often than divorced women-simply because a woman who has had several pregnancies or a difficult marriage will not look as fresh and cute as she did when she was a 20-something innocent,naive young girl.
I do have a lot of girlfriends my age who are crazy about Alan Rickman or Javier Bardem,they find that men with character and edges are more interesting than "babyfaces".I have never heard a man say that he wants to have a girlfriend with grey hair and wrinkles that tell her lifestory. (Of course,there are exceptions to the rule,but it is scientifically proven that men are looking for women who seem fertile-young-healthy while women rather look for security-character & father qualities.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieprk View Post
The problem for us non-Arabic speakers is that his poems do not translate well into English. I think the problem stems from the fact the English language does not have as many descriptive words as Arabic so when they translate it, it comes out sounding strange.
I love this poem, but in English it almost sounds as if he is writing to a lover and not his mother. Especially phrases like this:
We would never use words like "burning" and "yearning" about our mothers because those words, when said to or about another person, are used to convey passion, romance or sexual desires. Of course, the other problem with the English language is that our words often have double meanings. For example, phrases like "my house is burning down" or "I am yearning to learn about Arabic culture" have nothing to do with love or romance. It can be very confusing unless someone explains the meaning behind it.
Thatīs right,coming from a similiar cultural background I understand what you mean. "burning and yearning" are very strong,passionate words that would work well in a romantic poem but I would never write it to my mum or anyone I am not romantically linked to.
Maybe I would write that I am missing her,or that I anticipate her with joy & happiness-something like that.
Itīs true-the double meanings are quite tricky and sometimes you need to know colloqial language or local gossip/sayings to understand the fun in a pun or the important point in a poem.
Nabati poems also use that double-meanings (there is a musical instrument-oud-that also has a different meaning as well) just like Robert Frost does to either cleverly mislead the reader,challenge his intelligence or say things which are not politically correct or would not be said openly in the public.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Muhaha,two men discussing that inner values are more important than looks,I canīt stop myself from laughing!
Two men?!?! I'm a girl!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Oh,sorry,i thought that Charlie stands for a male name like Charlie Chaplin or Charlie Sheene;-) So you are Charlene or Charlotte?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Oh,sorry,i thought that Charlie stands for a male name like Charlie Chaplin or Charlie Sheene;-) So you are Charlene or Charlotte?
No worries, I seriously had the best laugh over that. It's Charlotte.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieprk View Post
(1)I imagine that being attractive, wealthy and well-known would make it difficult for Hamdan to find the "right one". There are many beautiful women throwing themselves at him because of his money and status. It's hard for many men to say no to these temptations. (2)Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? The problem is that when a nice girl does come along, (3)she may not be so inclined to be involved in a relationship with a man who could be seen as a womanizer. Hamdan himself even wrote a poem where he said that he had (4)"many roses in the bush". He also wrote a couple of poems about a woman that he loved who left him. Maybe this is the reason why....
I have highlighted the most interesting parts & numbered important sentences
(1)That is certainly true,money attracts a lot of bad people who only want superficial things and donīt have moral values.The Quran is warning believers from the dangers of too much wealth and that it might corrupt oneīs character,just as well as it is expected that every muslim gives at least 10% of his wealth to charity,it is one of the five pillars of Islam and people will look down on you if you are extremely wealthy and donīt give to the poor.
You will see that ALL Muslim royals have some charity and donate a lot of money-Sheikha Hind is very generous just like S.Mohammed,Haya and most of Moīs kids have a foundation that serves a good cause.

(2)You have adopted Benjamin Franklinīs way of thinking-practical,pragmatic and prosaic. (Notice that alliteration,I love alliterations)

(3) Thatīs true,I would be very very guarded and careful if I meet Sheikh Hamdan or Rashid,they are followed by girls like bees follow honey
Itīs always creating traffic jams when Hamdan turns up somewhere and girls are shouting like groupies at a pop concert!Terrible,I really hope that doesnīt make him afraid of women,such gaudy girly behaviour would completely turn me off but maybe he enjoys that.
Queen Rania of Jordan said in an interview that when she first met Abdullah she thought he was just a womanizer and didnīt want a serious relationship because heīs a prince and has lots of money etc.

(4)Did he really write it with that words?I know itīs silly but I really canīt help myself-you know,we were discussing double meanings of certain words and what they might imply... itīs simply hilarious
. Helen Keller
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
If there is anyone who rather looks at inner qualities (kindness,intelligence,humour,empathy,experience,creativity etc.)
Maybe it is funny for you, but some men have a look at inner qualities by the ladies. I think, these qualities are more important than a beautiful outside with a empty content. Maybe this is the reason why Sheikh Hamdan wrote a lot of love-poems but didnīt find his soul mate.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Maybe it is funny for you, but I have a look at inner qualities by the ladies. They are more important for me than a beautiful outside with a empty content. I'm serious.
I believe you,but unfortunately you are in a scaringly small minority and a lot of men are constantly picking on their girls to make them invest more time & efforts in their looks,lose weight or change the colour of their hair The irony is that a lot of men men expect women to be slim,smart,funny,young & look like the distorted,surreal images of women in glossy fashion magazines while at the same time they are obese,boring and uneducated
. Helen Keller
Old 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Gentry

I think we can all agree that poetry is extremely open to individual interpretation by it's reader. We can never be completely sure what the writer was thinking when he/she wrote it. Poets can take on personas when writing, I know I have when writing some of my poetry. You channel another person, whether fictional or real, when writing the poem. Sometimes it can reflect the author, other times it might not. For example, here's a poem I wrote recently.

The Existence of Love
by:Kalila18
Love is a fallacy.

Love, merely a factor in impoverishment.
Love, that which bewitches both alike.
Love, a fatal twist for all involved.
Love, the ultimate fantasy that fails to thrill.
Love, that which rips what is left of a beautiful life.
Love, an atrocious beast sent to ruin us all.
Love, a fleeting fire that only burns; leaving choking ash.
Love, romance is it's only downfall.

Love is a fallacy.

I wrote this when I was going through a rough patch in my life, but it had nothing to do with love at all, at least when I wrote it. I just used it as a metaphor for my feelings at the time.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalila18 View Post
I think we can all agree that poetry is extremely open to individual interpretation by it's reader. We can never be completely sure what the writer was thinking when he/she wrote it. Poets can take on personas when writing, I know I have when writing some of my poetry. You channel another person, whether fictional or real, when writing the poem. Sometimes it can reflect the author, other times it might not. For example, here's a poem I wrote recently.
Yes,itīs true that for writing stories/poems you can slip into other peopleīs mind and create the story as if it was your personal experience,some are so skilled that everyone believes the novel or song they created is autobiographical while it is a conglomerat of stories youīve heard,read in the newspapers & mixed up with your own imagination and feelings.

Maybe youīve heard the song "Jeanie" by Falco,itīs a marvelous song-captivating,strong and tragic at the same time because the singer/songwriter wrote it after he heard about the rape & murder of a young girl.He was so shocked,moved and also angry about this so he used his emotions to create that song and express his feelings.It was written as if it were from the rapist himself and the public was shocked and wanted to ban the song because they believed it was promoting sexual violence against women.Still today-many years after it was released, the song is quite controversial!
Or take the song "I donīt like Mondays"-it sounds very joyful and pretty,but when you read the lyrics you will be shocked by the story behind the song.It was about a boy who shot a young woman because he doesnīt like Mondays and she happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time

Back to the topic-I think that Sheikh Hamdan knows every line of his poems will be analyzed to death by his fans & critics as well-so he should not be surprised that everyone is wondering about the mystery girl he is writing about!Being single with no kids-with his looks,family background and the large crowd of female admirers is strange or at least raises a few questions.
But using charlieprkīs quote we could say he might want to enjoy the milk without having to buy the cow;-)

However I donīt think he wants to be single forever,as he seems to enjoy spending time with children a lot & if he wants children it is only fair that he marries that girl who is giving him children.At least thatīs what I believe is the right thing to do,but maybe I am too old-fashioned
. Helen Keller
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
However I donīt think he wants to be single forever,as he seems to enjoy spending time with children a lot & if he wants children it is only fair that he marries that girl who is giving him children.At least thatīs what I believe is the right thing to do,but maybe I am too old-fashioned
I'm sure, one day he will find his "Mrs. Right". At the right time, with the right lady (or ladies???) he wants to be a father of a couple of sweet kids. Sheikh Hamdan is still young. @blauerengel: sometimes the "old fashioned style" is the best way to be happy.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Back to the topic-I think that Sheikh Hamdan knows every line of his poems will be analyzed to death by his fans & critics as well-so he should not be surprised that everyone is wondering about the mystery girl he is writing about!Being single with no kids-with his looks,family background and the large crowd of female admirers is strange or at least raises a few questions.
If Sheikh Hamdans "large crowd of female adimirers" analyzed his poems to death and believe to discover a mysterious unnamed lady behind some verses, than first it is the readers problem to think so. Sometimes a poem should not too much seasoned with personal assumptions. Only, enjoy Sheikh Hamdans art of dealing with the words.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Imanmajed,can you tell us what you think about that poem,I could not really make much sense out of it...well,at least I know that obviously the person in the poem was left by a beautiful girl because of his mistakes or egoism but I donīt understand how Arab horses,camels and birds have anything to do with a broken heart or an unlucky miserable relationship?
I think that poem is not from his own experience but rather his imagination and creativity,he may have used a story that he has heard?When he recited the poems,he didnīt seem overly emotional or sad about the fact that this "queen of my heart" hes left him,but thatīs only my impression.

“I am sorry” (or possibly Sorry,sorry)
How I loved the impossible, how I hauled impossibilities…until I reserved
my place in the first raw
I love a pure Arabian horse, because she symbolizes tradition… both in
Arab and non-Arab countries
And camels and birds and the sea and land and its fondness…and love
and kindness and poetry with every letter of its alhpabet
Poetry is state, and change into a thousand states… from humility to
love to hostility to arrogance
What I wrote I write from knowledge not from ignorance.. the sun of my
thoughts never sits and embers of my creativity are alive
A lover his his genuine feelings, and a poet has his imagination… He
plays his feelings on the strings of Samaritan melodies
The northen wind howled, and it felt like my heart from north… no south
could sense the wind outside
It’s all for the eyes of my beloved and the queen of my heart alone… a
queen with dark eyes and wild features
I remember every time the northen wind blew through her shawl… and
buckled around her slim body fold above fold
And I remember every time a branch bent, her body didn’t… Her body
has some of a branch’s curve and the branch has some
And I remember her morning laughter, and the night through it… and
her forehead like forenoon sun on Eid Al Adha
And I remember the color of her cheeks every time they mention her…
two red roses in a garden, not a vase
And I remember her smile, her tenderness and her fondness… the smile
of her lips and the naughty look in her eyes
Before she went and left me without a telling me or leaving me a
messaga… I’m narcissistic and in her love I never knew narcissism
What do I do with a loved one who considers my heart her property…
and the problems is my heart agrees and my inner self is satisfied
The problems is how I’m longing to her but I can’t get in touch… Love
judges, who can resolve my issue
Since she took my heart from my chest, she needs to find me a
replacement… and if she doesn’t have a replacement, she needs to give
it back
She shouldn’t leave me without a heart, it’s a burden for the lover… she
knows I have one intention, not fifty
If her heart tells her to stay away I still wouldn’t trade her… How would
I trade a beloved so dear, no one comes close
She shouldn’t part for long, and she should consider coming back a
favor…. and returning the favor is the duty of a real man
One look at my eyes, while we stand face to face… is enough and
makes up for not feeling her hands in mine
If I made a mistake, I told her a million times… a person makes mistakes
and repents, and God forgives his sins
How wide is every wilderness and how many grains of sands are there…
How many hard and soft branches are there on the face of the earth
And how many people go on a pilgrimage to the House of God and pack
their belongings… how many people say: May the Peace and the Grace
of Allah be Upon our prophet Mohammed
This is how many times I’m sorry… sorry, sorry, as long as I have the
ability to say sorry

A youtube video of that poem:
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

On a fazza fanpage I also found this poem translated:

Three magic days had passed in my life

For three magic days , I fell in love and I loved you

For three magic days , I am spelling the bird ‘s speech

The speech is more benign than any kind of speeches

Look out for love ‘s letter , it is full of love

Live in my heart , live in your house

I am very thirsty but you are my water

impossible will be possible , just for you

If you want to sat in the sky , I will give you that

My love

The love is image without delineation

Its images are in every eye ‘s wink when I see you

My love

bid wants some of estimation if I announce for you I your liver and your dead

Three magic days had passed in my life

For three magic days , I fell in love and I loved you

For three magic days but I don’t know what the explanation is

But I know that

I loved you For three magic days
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

This seems to be a rather new one,
I found a translation on afangirlsguidetofazza-page:

You and I

Your face going through the veins of my heart and escalates the flow of my blood
god you have, envy and envy us
Reomve your scarf and put up your hair
the shyness has finished me and I
You are sweet and provided, you are beautiful hope
God enables character in lips and DNA
Those eyelashes that bend to provide shadow to the cheeks
Reverse, come and see my heart has not bent
Poison me yourself to cool me down
Destiny,! It is one of the arts of this world
I said, the sun is half present in Talha
The day has brightened and the roses have flowered and I am ready to leave for Jannah
As I say the light of your face shines the day
Heart’s game and tears of the eyes
. Helen Keller
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

You and I in Arabic,so that our Arabic-speakers can verify and decide wheter the translation comes close to the original:

ياللي تِـمر عْروق قلبي نَـظـرتك وتْتـلَّها
ألله عليك مْن الحسد واهل الحسد والله لنا
الشيله اللي فوق وجهك يا حبيبي شلَّها
خل الخجل منّك وسولف لي ما غير انته وانا
سوالفك حلوه ، ومن زود الغلا ما املّها
ألله من حرفٍ تمَكَّن في شفايفك وْ دَنا
إلى ثنيت رموشك اللي فوق خَدّك ظِلّها
يعكس تثنّاها ، تعال وشوف قلبي لا انثنى
إر سم لي اللهفه ودع نفسي تبرِّد غِلَّها
مصيرنا نفنى ، وكم واحد من الدنيا فنا
لو قلت إن الشمس ت شبه طلّتك في طلّها
يوم اشرقت والورد متفتِّح وجاهز للجنا
أقدر أقول لنور وجهك يوم تشرق ذلَّها
ميّزك من سوّاك عنها في الشروق وْفي السنا
القلب بَعْدك ثار ، والعين الدموع تهلَّها
Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

honestly would hamdan be this oblivious, and at the same time this obvious,to write about a mysterious girl, if he has so many female followers? They would surely want to know who she was? And I cannot believe everything he writes is from his imagination purely, but I also don't believe he is single..whatever single means to the community..its TOO good to be true.

Tags
al maktoum, dubai, hamdan, hamdan bin mohammed, poem, poetry, sheikh hamdan, sheikh hamdan married