Divorce For Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid & Princess Haya

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They for sure have a prenup and I believe that adultery should be in. But here is the question:how do we define adultery for a guy who has already 6 wifes? Having an affair or to take a 7th one?

Just to be clear the maximum number he can have is 4 at a time.
As for the amount of wives he had in his life that does not happen only in the Arab world a lot of famous ppl and non famous have married many women over their life time and had many children.

Has it been decided who the children are going to stay with ? also if they stay with there mom, will there father only be able to see them in the UK in case he try's to kidnaped them?

I suppose it will be settled as you say.

I think when the Sheikh and princess married, they would have signed a traditional Islamic marriage contract. Surely her advisors, brothers and uncles would have advised her to receive a substantial payment towards her total mahr at the time of their marriage's beginning. She perhaps became quite wealthy independently at that time; it's possible the sheikh may have also paid her additional money under the marriage contract after the initial payment, including when he religiously divorced her in the UAE. This is a payment I think he would make. And she seems to own the house in London already on her own, and has not had to leave that house or anything, so this would suggest she already received substantial monies from the sheikh. ?? Maybe?

He is still married to Majid mother as well ( she lives in Dubai with her daughters)

This Instagram account @almaktoum.family.fans who generally gives real information related to the family said they are divorced.

Makes me speechless...I didn't expect her to have an affair out of wedlook. What a mess...
Imanmajed, may I ask you a question?

I´d like to know if you think that the fact that Princess Haya committed adultery will cause those people in the UAE who were willing to take a second look at the role and lifestyle of women and either allow or initiate some changes in their own family or, if not that, be more tolerant and open towards others who make such changes, to now re-think their stance and draw back on it?

I am asking because I suppose that Princess Haya served as some sort of a new role model who combined the „best of two worlds“, so to speak, being an attractice woman who played a public role but who was at the same time a faithful and loving wife and mother (as it seemed), an intelligent person with a university degree who gracefully accepted her role as the „junior wife“... - I think you get the picture.
But now, after it has become known that she committed adultery I suppose that is completely over because by that (however dire her situation may have been, it is not my intent to judge her) she must have confirmed the fear of the more traditionalist people that a woman who leads a public life and is her own person will sooner or later give in to the temptations that come with that free life and cannot be trusted morally.

So, instead of giving people hope that freedom and traditional moral values can go together, Princess Haya explicitly crushed that hope. And I´d like to know if you think that this will influence people in the UAE in the way I have outlined. Or does not make it that much of a difference because Princess Haya was never that important in this respect anyway, being an outsider for whom the rules were different from the beginning and would always have been?

Please, also accept my heartfelt sympathy on the occasion – all this is not a pretty story and must be highly depressing to witness.

Imanmajed, may I ask you a question?

I´d like to know if you think that the fact that Princess Haya committed adultery will cause those people in the UAE who were willing to take a second look at the role and lifestyle of women and either allow or initiate some changes in their own family or, if not that, be more tolerant and open towards others who make such changes, to now re-think their stance and draw back on it?

I am asking because I suppose that Princess Haya served as some sort of a new role model who combined the „best of two worlds“, so to speak, being an attractice woman who played a public role but who was at the same time a faithful and loving wife and mother (as it seemed), an intelligent person with a university degree who gracefully accepted her role as the „junior wife“... - I think you get the picture.
But now, after it has become known that she committed adultery I suppose that is completely over because by that (however dire her situation may have been, it is not my intent to judge her) she must have confirmed the fear of the more traditionalist people that a woman who leads a public life and is her own person will sooner or later give in to the temptations that come with that free life and cannot be trusted morally.

So, instead of giving people hope that freedom and traditional moral values can go together, Princess Haya explicitly crushed that hope. And I´d like to know if you think that this will influence people in the UAE in the way I have outlined. Or does not make it that much of a difference because Princess Haya was never that important in this respect anyway, being an outsider for whom the rules were different from the beginning and would always have been?

Please, also accept my heartfelt sympathy on the occasion – all this is not a pretty story and must be highly depressing to witness.

UAE people are still very traditional in privat and family matters. A society change may be in slow process but will need time even if other parts of life seems to be very modern.

Regardless of Princess Haya's committed adultery, it is still the case that the honor of female family members is equated with the honor of the entire family. There was no change of this traditional view before people knew about all what was released in trial. Its more the events seem to agree with all those who hold on to outdated views. This is what makes up the majority of Emirati society.

Nevertheless the case of princess Haya definitely will cause backlashes to Emirati women who was on their way being more equally to males. In this way she may crushed the version of the younger generation that a more western lifestyle and highly respected traditional moral values can works together as a new unit.

Last edited:
The case of princess Haya definitely will cause backlashes for Emirati women who was on their way being more equally to males.
This is sad, but I am not surprised to hear it.

Thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate that.

Having read the entire fact-finding document, I'm very shocked. I doubt Princess Haya will ever be able to return to the Middle East after admitting her affair which is a punishable crime in the laws of almost all Arab countries (for men, too).

I still think that she has the right to custody of her children and would like to see her win this case. So much respect for this woman.

What will happen to the bodyguard? If I understood it correctly, he also testified, so that would mean that he is in the UK and likely to stay there?!

What will happen to the bodyguard? If I understood it correctly, he also testified, so that would mean that he is in the UK and likely to stay there?!

Bodyguard Russell Flowers is the ex-soldier at the centre of Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein's divorce from Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed. He is British from Suffolk. So he is safe I think

Its said: the bodyguard “has since gone into hiding and was not called to give evidence at the Family Court hearings.... He has never spoken about the affair and declined to comment on the relationship that led to the breakdown of his marriage when tracked down to his Suffolk home. Friends said he was in fear of his life after his involvement with the princess became public knowledge.“

Source: dailymail uk

Last edited:
Still, the judgment does not identify the bodyguard who had an affair with Princess Haya, other than that he is British.

It´s interesting to read what arguments are being brought forward on the issue of publication (of the judgments).

The children´s guardian seems to have been opposed to publication but has lately changed his mind:
The guardian had at all previous stages expressed caution over the issue of publication. However, his recent engagement with the children and with the mother has caused him to change his position. He has been particularly struck by matters, including those set out in the mother’s witness statement, which indicate the clear and stark psychological, social and emotional pressure that she has experienced as a result of the false narrative that presently exists. It is said that the sustained impact that this has had on the mother impinges directly on the welfare of the children.
Princess Haya herself seems to have been desperately waiting for the publication:
People think that I have wronged the children and wronged Sheikh Mohammed. The public narrative is of me leaving Dubai with the children, taking Sheikh Mohammed’s money following an affair. People do not want to be associated with us. I have not been able to protect fully the children or defend myself against the lurid reporting and character assassination. ...People have said that they want to help and begin to ask for information about the trial. When I have said the proceedings are closed and I am not able to discuss the matter, I have faced increasing hostility including from members of my own family who have accused me of not trusting them or wondering what I am hiding. There is nothing I can say, and no way to explain our situation to them. My silence, and that of the children, only serves to distance them from us. There is an entire year of our lives we cannot speak of.
Source

What I find interesting and – honestly – very surprising is that Haya´s affair in and of itself does not seem to have been that much of a problem for her husband. The moment she got herself into real trouble was when she insisted on questioning the situation with Latifa.
This seems to confirm Latifa´s statement in the video (about her father caring only for his reputation) to a degree that is actually amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find interesting and – honestly – very surprising is that Haya´s affair in and of itself does not seem to have been that much of a problem for her husband. The moment she got herself into real trouble was when she insisted on questioning the situation with Latifa.
This seems to confirm Latifa´s statement in the video (about her father caring only for his reputation) to a degree that is actually amazing.

Clearly, he doesn't care about any affairs of his wife as long as it is in private nobody knows about it and they can pretend to be a happy couple. Here is the interview Princess Haya gave in January 2019 after Mary Robinson came to see Sheikha Latifa II she said if there is any truth in this she wouldn't have stand for it. How she thought about her children getting freedom if anything happens to her like her when her mother died in a helicopter accident looks like after this she started questioning Sheikh Mohammed which led to the divorce in February then her escape to London

Clearly, he doesn't care about any affairs of his wife as long as it is in private nobody knows about it and they can pretend to be a happy couple. Here is the interview Princess Haya gave in January 2019 after Mary Robinson came to see Sheikha Latifa II she said if there is any truth in this she wouldn't have stand for it. How she thought about her children getting freedom if anything happens to her like her when her mother died in a helicopter accident looks like after this she started questioning Sheikh Mohammed which led to the divorce in February then her escape to London

I honestly don’t think that was the reason she ran! She didn’t care about Shamsa since she got married ( who is living with Maitha and their mom) and she didn’t care for Latifa for quite some time. She probably was thinking about her own life and being in love. Long ago she didn’t think this through and ended up living on help from other royalties. I think she wants to live her life and wants to make sure she is well set money wise ( and her children with her)
She could have done all this quietly if she wanted at least for the sake of children who will grow up hearing that their mom cheated on their dad ( which is wrong no matter where you’re from)

I honestly don’t think that was the reason she ran! She didn’t care about Shamsa since she got married ( who is living with Maitha and their mom) and she didn’t care for Latifa for quite some time. She probably was thinking about her own life and being in love. Long ago she didn’t think this through and ended up living on help from other royalties. I think she wants to live her life and wants to make sure she is well-set money wise ( and her children with her)
She could have done all this quietly if she wanted at least for the sake of children who will grow up hearing that their mom cheated on their dad ( which is wrong no matter where you’re from)
Something is not adding up her husband was fine with her affair then what happened in January that Sheikh Mohammed divorced her in February. The last thing was this interview after Mary Robinson's meeting Latifa II. Of course just like everyone Princess Haya knew everything than what really happened? I still can't believe she had an affair inside UAE she is brave and still alive I am surprised. I wonder what going to happen to her children in the future. Latifa II case might realised her that she is next so she ran away

Something is not adding up her husband was fine with her affair then what happened in January that Sheikh Mohammed divorced her in February. The last thing was this interview after Mary Robinson's meeting Latifa II. Of course just like everyone Princess Haya knew everything than what really happened? I still can't believe she had an affair inside UAE she is brave and still alive I am surprised. I wonder what going to happen to her children in the future. Latifa II case might realised her that she is next so she ran away

I don’t think there is anything brave about having an affair, she used Latina’s story to get her children ,
A lot of men especially non emotionally attached don’t care if his wife cheats and give her a divorce peacefully
The problem probably accrued when she figured out that a divorce means living in Dubai and probably cannot get remarried since she has children unless she leaves her kids

I don’t think there is anything brave about having an affair, she used Latina’s story to get her children.

It doesnt sound fair to me to judge the decisions made by Princess Haya in this way. Nobody always does everything right throughout life. Mistakes are good to learn from and we need them to get a better outcome of issues we faced day by day. Making mistakes are a part of what makes us human.

Also I don't think she just took advantage of Sheikha Latifah's story to get more benefits in the dispute over child custody. For me it looks more she was looking for the best decision for the future of her two children.

Last edited:
:previous:
I think your opinion is most likely, regarding her primary motivation to make the move for the safety of her children. Especially since there were rumours about the eventual marriage/engagement of her daughter to the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. That must have sent a chill through her. Haya is a princess by blood from the Hashemite line, a very prized and historic lineage. Sister of a king, daughter of a king, she had premier status among the other wives. And now her daughter was in danger if they remained in Dubai. I think it was brilliant planning on her part.

Other posters have criticized her for having an affair. We know of this alleged affair because her husband has made it public. A man who has six wives and at least 30 children! Why shouldn't she have an affair?? Even in this cloistered society, these things happen more than one would think.

I think your opinion is most likely, regarding her primary motivation to make the move for the safety of her children. Especially since there were rumours about the eventual marriage/engagement of her daughter to the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia. That must have sent a chill through her. Haya is a princess by blood from the Hashemite line, a very prized and historic lineage. Sister of a king, daughter of a king, she had premier status among the other wives. And now her daughter was in danger if they remained in Dubai. I think it was brilliant planning on her part.

Other posters have criticized her for having an affair. We know of this alleged affair because her husband has made it public. A man who has six wives and at least 30 children! Why shouldn't she have an affair?? Even in this cloistered society, these things happen more than one would think.
There was no arrangement for any kind of marriage between cp and her daughter, if that was the case the CP would choose a much prettier daughter than hers , secondly his wife is 10 time prettier than alJalilah and finally sheikh Mohammed through out the years never forced any of his daughters to get married to anyone . And the court found that not to be true! She did claim it was the king of Bahrain at the start then thought it through as to CP more believable.

He does not have 6 wives at the same time he only has two and that does not justify an affair no matter what ! She could easily ask for a divorce then do what she wants

It doesnt sound fair to me to judge the decisions made by Princess Haya in this way. Nobody always does everything right throughout life. Mistakes are good to learn from and we need them to get a better outcome of issues we faced day by day. Making mistakes are a part of what makes us human.

Also I don't think she just took advantage of Sheikha Latifah's story to get more benefits in the dispute over child custody. For me it looks more she was looking for the best decision for the future of her two children.

An affair is never brave!

I'm in no way defending Sheikh Mohammed (who I have no respect for for doing this to his two daughters and intimidating his ex-wife in such horrible ways), BUT she married him knowing that he can have up to four wives at a time and she cannot. As long as the other marriages were agreed upon (I don't know if he married anyone after Haya and if she gave her blessing), it's not considered cheating. I'm aware that this sounds like a double standard, but it's not. So her having an affair, although understandable, is still wrong.

That being said, the fact that she made a mistake doens't mean that she deserved what happened to her or having her children taken from her.

Having an affair is questionable but to cheat on a man who is married to another woman is different. Why is he allowed to have 30 children from no one know how many wives without beeing criticised, when Princess Haya is threatened because of an affair.
The man is atrocious toward his family.

Call it a culture clash or even just a very different way of life that has been ongoing for centuries in the Muslim world. That, to me, is to be respected. Just because what we're familiar with is deemed "right", it does not mean that in another part of the world, in another culture and in another set of religious beliefs that it is "wrong".

As in any marital relationship, its unique to the two people involved in it and, as an outsider, I can't honestly place blame anywhere in this matter. Both of them did what they felt they needed to do and it was taken to a high court in the UK for judgement and resolution that to me, that's all that really matters.

I just wish the best for all involved.

An affair is never brave!

Its not brave, its a mistake. But we should not judge her for it. Everyone of us is doing mistakes.

.... So her having an affair, although understandable, is still wrong.

That being said, the fact that she made a mistake doens't mean that she deserved what happened to her or having her children taken from her.

Call it a culture clash or even just a very different way of life that has been ongoing for centuries in the Muslim world. That, to me, is to be respected. Just because what we're familiar with is deemed "right", it does not mean that in another part of the world, in another culture and in another set of religious beliefs that it is "wrong".

As in any marital relationship, its unique to the two people involved in it and, as an outsider, I can't honestly place blame anywhere in this matter. Both of them did what they felt they needed to do and it was taken to a high court in the UK for judgement and resolution that to me, that's all that really matters.

I just wish the best for all involved.

Totally agree with both of you.

Last edited:
Having an affair is questionable but to cheat on a man who is married to another woman is different. Why is he allowed to have 30 children from no one know how many wives without beeing criticised, when Princess Haya is threatened because of an affair.
The man is atrocious toward his family.

That is not the same thing she married him knowing he had 28children.
If you married and divorced six men should ppl judge you or your seventh husband cheat on you because you have six or twelve or what even number with your husbands befor him?

What happened to her was wrong and she shouldn’t be threatened or miss treated , she should have been left to live in peace with her children but that does not mean what she did was justified

There was no arrangement for any kind of marriage between cp and her daughter, if that was the case the CP would choose a much prettier daughter than hers , secondly his wife is 10 time prettier than alJalilah and finally sheikh Mohammed through out the years never forced any of his daughters to get married to anyone . And the court found that not to be true! She did claim it was the king of Bahrain at the start then thought it through as to CP more believable.

He does not have 6 wives at the same time he only has two and that does not justify an affair no matter what ! She could easily ask for a divorce then do what she wants

lady blue, I'm afraid you have missed my point! The CP of Saudi Arabia would not be choosing Haya's daughter for marriage on the basis of who is prettier or more beautiful or smarter.... what a shallow way to pick a wife for the CP who wants to shine on the world stage! He has other wives far prettier, I am sure, but he and his kingdom have craved the unique " legitimacy" of marrying into the ancient Hashemite lineage. Which was also a consideration for Haya's husband when he wooed her. The sort of consideration that is used for breeding horses, his favourite hobby, besides fathering 30 children. I think Haya and her family knew her unique value when they married and expected he would be "different" with her. She was a princess of the blood, which none of his other wives are. If Haya had nicely "asked" for a divorce to do "what she wants" as you suggest, she would never have managed to leave Dubai with her children, and perhaps even ended up drugged and imprisoned like her husband's daughters. The girls who decided to rebel.

Jalila is only 11. We have no idea how beautiful, smart or anything else she will turn out as an adult. Girls grow into their looks. Judging her against the beauty of a grown woman is faulty at best.

But yes I highly doubt the looks of Jalila would ever come into play. She is a princess, a political wife, one of two royal lineages at that. The Hashemite blood even on her mother's side. It isn't hard to believe that she would be a prize even as a trophy wife (not beauty trophy but prize stock). It is sad, but yes in many cases it seems that breeding horses is seen as the same as having children among some of these circles. Its all about pedigree and Jalila has prize pedigree her father would not be dumb not see the value of.

He may or may not have pressured any of his daughters into marriage. None were child brides true, but we don't know if those married wed for love. We do know this man has kidnapped two of his children in the past. There is certainly good reason to believe Jalila may be in danger. Especially if she stays in the UK and does something her father doesn't think is conservative or proper enough in his eyes. She could be another Latifa or Shamsa. The only thing that likely protects her is how high profile she has become thanks to her mother. And this divorce now.

lady blue, I'm afraid you have missed my point! The CP of Saudi Arabia would not be choosing Haya's daughter for marriage on the basis of who is prettier or more beautiful or smarter.... what a shallow way to pick a wife for the CP who wants to shine on the world stage! He has other wives far prettier, I am sure, but he and his kingdom have craved the unique " legitimacy" of marrying into the ancient Hashemite lineage. Which was also a consideration for Haya's husband when he wooed her. The sort of consideration that is used for breeding horses, his favourite hobby, besides fathering 30 children. I think Haya and her family knew her unique value when they married and expected he would be "different" with her. She was a princess of the blood, which none of his other wives are. If Haya had nicely "asked" for a divorce to do "what she wants" as you suggest, she would never have managed to leave Dubai with her children, and perhaps even ended up drugged and imprisoned like her husband's daughters. The girls who decided to rebel.

Ok, I will take your point. CP has one wife his brothers have one wife each , a lot of men from the royal family have only one wife. The Hashemite lineage is not not only in Jordan and is not carried through daughters , is Saudi we have alsada and alashraf who are also traced back to prophet Mohammed and raised in a manner considered more appropriate for Saudi
I am not saying alJalilah is ugly but it makes no sense at all as there is a law in uae passed some years ago for marriage only at the age of 18 and above .

That point was found to be not true in court!

Jalila is only 11. We have no idea how beautiful, smart or anything else she will turn out as an adult. Girls grow into their looks. Judging her against the beauty of a grown woman is faulty at best.

But yes I highly doubt the looks of Jalila would ever come into play. She is a princess, a political wife, one of two royal lineages at that. The Hashemite blood even on her mother's side. It isn't hard to believe that she would be a prize even as a trophy wife (not beauty trophy but prize stock). It is sad, but yes in many cases it seems that breeding horses is seen as the same as having children among some of these circles. Its all about pedigree and Jalila has prize pedigree her father would not be dumb not see the value of.

He may or may not have pressured any of his daughters into marriage. None were child brides true, but we don't know if those married wed for love. We do know this man has kidnapped two of his children in the past. There is certainly good reason to believe Jalila may be in danger. Especially if she stays in the UK and does something her father doesn't think is conservative or proper enough in his eyes. She could be another Latifa or Shamsa. The only thing that likely protects her is how high profile she has become thanks to her mother. And this divorce now.

I will answer two points here , in Saudi and because sadly many people care too much about pedigree the all Maktoum are not considered pure bloods or are valued to be married into ( other than for money)
So AlJalilah carrying that name does not give her value , and because of tradition and how very strict people are here with holding one to it, and the fact that they care too much about the mothers( as a mother is a representative of how the child would be) again AlJalilah would loose value because of her mothers past ( runaway with Spanish trainer , cheating on her husband) ... now as much as I’m against this sadly it is true.

The second point is the following, I only know of two of sheikh Mohammed daughters to be married for love, the others have traditional marriages but after them accepting the proposals

What is acceptable is some parts of the world may not be approved in others but that does not make one side wrong or right.

I wish the children happy and healthy childhood and lives because divorce is never easy on them

Back
Top Bottom