Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that there is had an erroneous concept of the marriage in Al Maktoum
You thinks that because he marries going to become to be a husband dedicated to the home. What a joke!
Everything will continue equally. He will continue his activities but without evidence (photographs) or with minor intensity.
And i agree with Lindinha, Hamdan continues being immature

Well that's one way to avoid adultery... or at least having it be called adultery :whistling:

Hamdan is a Muslim and slavery is not hip anymore. So even the CP will have to settle for four wives at a max. Or do you think he will change them once in a while, except for the public misses. Does anyone knows how the Maks generally cope with this dillema :lol: ?

In regards to marriage Hamdan will do whatever he damn well pleases. It's his prerogative as a Muslim to have as many wives as he deems fit for whatever purpose (at any given time of course as the max is 4). He can and most likely will act with impunity as there is no check for him other than his father and we see how well he set the example in terms of his own polygamous marriages. The atheist side of me really abhors the emphasis placed on the sanctimony of marriage as defined by religious groups when people so clearly exploit their "rights or privileges" to that extent. The multiculturalist side of me is like 'hey...let them operate in the way their cultural norms dictate', but I still can't help feeling that the acceptance of polygamy is right (therefore giving girls hope that they can be wife 2-4). Rightly or Wrongly.

Besides, I honestly don't believe in anything but going for the gold. If a woman can't be 1st place wife then don't settle for silver-place wife, bronze-place wife, or an honorable mention-wife.

I think it would be poetic justice if women were allowed multiple male partners in marriage. But of course it would be sacrilegious to do such a thing....'o the hypocrisy.

Hamdan is a Muslim and slavery is not hip anymore. So even the CP will have to settle for four wives at a max. Or do you think he will change them once in a while, except for the public misses. Does anyone knows how the Maks generally cope with this dillema :lol: ?

It depends what IF he marries someone else not being his cousin and the girl is the devil encarnated... "It's either ME or the other women!!" And if he at least likes her a lot i guess he'll probably think twice b4 doing any stupidity or involve w/ other women knowing that his wife is NO FOOL... I guess that it all depends on the woman and if she's willing to put up w/ his crap. IF she respects and loves herself 1st i am sure he';ll look at her w/ another eyes.... INSIGHTS???

"It depends what IF he marries someone else not being his cousin and the girl is the devil encarnated... "It's either ME or the other women!!" And if he at least likes her a lot i guess he'll probably think twice b4 doing any stupidity or involve w/ other women knowing that his wife is NO FOOL... I guess that it all depends on the woman and if she's willing to put up w/ his crap. IF she respects and loves herself 1st i am sure he';ll look at her w/ another eyes.... INSIGHTS???"

My insight is...wishful thinking. It doesn't matter if his 1st wife puts up with his adultery or challenges it he can still do what he pleases vis a vis Sharia law. Let's not be overly romantic here. Hamdan will marry as per his wishes. The cousin-wife will deal with it and not complain. After all her role in this is to pump out babies the rest of her life to promote the virility and manliness of her husband.

Wow ! So much for Dubai and it's modern rulers.
I personally think rulers should set an example when it comes to their personal lives or treating their family fairly. All that polygamous stuff, it is just rich people who are bored and spoilt. :nonono: It is not tradition and it has never been tradition except for the rich and ugly. :eek: I feel sorry for the girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren, that's for sure!!

I see nothing wrong that Sheikh Hamdan marries his first cousin as long as they are both in love. ;)

In that case he may as well marry his sister as first cousins no real difference. You can not keep trying to justify stupidity by saying "it is tradition " or "it is custom". It was custumary for everone to ride camels. Is everyone riding camels today? And why?

Last edited:
In that case he may as well marry his sister as first cousins no real difference. You can not keep trying to justify stupidity by saying "it is tradition " or "it is custom". It was custumary for everone to ride camels. Is everyone riding camels today? And why?

What annoys me is they pick and choose which customs to follow. If they did everything according to custom I could agree with things I dont understand or agree with more. They marry cousins and have multiple wives according to custom but they(some not all) drink alchohol and other vices not allowed in Islam. In my opinion, its very hypocritical.

What annoys me is they pick and choose which customs to follow. If they did everything according to custom I could agree with things I dont understand or agree with more. They marry cousins and have multiple wives according to custom but they(some not all) drink alchohol and other vices not allowed in Islam. In my opinion, its very hypocritical.

True. Some of these rich, 'modern'guys only pick out the short-term-convenient stuff but are not so modern when it comes to giving up priviliges. Don't know who they think they are fooling since if even we notice, then everbody will :whistling:

But Hamdan is not married yet and we still don't know if he will get married soon or whom his wife will be. So let's not jump to conclusions too soon. Sure Hamdan doesn't seem a very responsible person yet but with Mo around, that's probably not really encouraged. Perhaps one day Hamdan will settle for a happy, traditional family with a (nice and glamorous) wife and 4-6 kiddies. He doesnt seem to be so over-ambtious as his father so maybe we should give him some more credit for now. :flowers:

Marrying his sister is against the religion and that is very clear. I see no problem in marrying your cousin and I dont see where it is stupid. It has been done for so many years. In the Gulf people would rather marry a relative than an outsider. It is also done to keep everything in the family.

Comparing riding camels to marrying your cousin isnt the same.

Marrying his sister is against the religion and that is very clear. I see no problem in marrying your cousin and I dont see where it is stupid. It has been done for so many years. In the Gulf people would rather marry a relative than an outsider. It is also done to keep everything in the family.

Comparing riding camels to marrying your cousin isnt the same.

Riding camels is a tradition just like marrying cousin.
- The tradition of riding camels is not practised anymore other then for recreation since people want to ride in cars. That is regarded as modern, fast and easy.
- The tradition of marrying in the family is still practised although it is not healthy and it doesn't seem to be very satisfying either since it is often followed by other marriages.
It seems that the only reason why the first tradition is abandoned and the marriage-tradition is still practised is opportunism and materialism. :flowers:

They just want to keep all the $ in the MAktoum Family...THATS ALL...:whistling::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But regarding to Hamdan's marriage we'll see what happens...:angel::flowers:

I agree 100% with Lindinha856. They are afraid if they keep someone other than family as his official wife she can take away the family wealth...

But what I dont understand... its very likely that Hamdan will marry other women as well... Why are they still enforcing family marriage when there is a possibility that there will be second, third, fourth and perhaps more wives that may or may not be foreigners... I dont think its tradition when it comes to this...

What are your views?

Riding camels is a tradition just like marrying cousin.
- The tradition of riding camels is not practised anymore other then for recreation since people want to ride in cars. That is regarded as modern, fast and easy.
- The tradition of marrying in the family is still practised although it is not healthy and it doesn't seem to be very satisfying either since it is often followed by other marriages.
It seems that the only reason why the first tradition is abandoned and the marriage-tradition is still practised is opportunism and materialism. :flowers:

I wouldnt call marrying your cousin a tradition at all IMO.

Many people have married their cousins which did and did not last just as when you dont marry a relative it doesnt always work out. So you whether he does or doesnt marry her he still has a 50% it will or not workout.

First cousin is the nearest thing to brother or sister but evidently not the same. If it is Sheikh Hamdan culture to marry a cousin is ok for him, but not for me in my country it is forbidden to do so. Unless the customs change, Sheikh Hamdan will marry his cousin or whomever he desires.

I dont like to judge but marrying your first cousin is gross. IMO you shouldnt share the same grandparents with your husband/wife. :sick:

Genetically mating with your half brother or sister or your Mother or Father is exactly the same as mating with your first cousin... & as near as makes no difference full brother or sister. It is a very, very close relation. Nature abhors this.
With all due respect, I don't think you understood my question. This is just a statement without any logic applied to the issue. Do you mean to say that you don't know the REASON that maryring first cousins is forbidden in your country & all other advanced societies for that matter or that that reason... should not apply to cultures that have (through no fault of their own), less eductional enlightenment? To continue an outdated practice despite the fact that it has been made known to you that, inbreeding let alone perpetual... inbreeding is not only a perversion of nature but that it also causes harm & the kind of harm that has the potential to send a dynasty that practices inbreeding backwards in evolution... To continue this practice inspite of this knowledge is an act of stupidity and to justifiy it because it "has always been" which means both customary & traditional, is just plane infantile. This is not opinion it is logic, reason. As Bettina has logically layed out the Ruling Families have an oportunity to lead the social advancement & welfare of those they preside over, by their example. That would be conducive with Sheikh Mohammed's vision for a modern & socially advanced Dubai. As I've said before, any autocratic ruler can build glass towers in the sky, when he answers to no one & he requisitions the wealth of his subjects country as his own... that is easy & not deserving of any particular respect. The real challenge, IF Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum is the man he wants the world to think he is & if he wants to the world to perceive Dubai as a modern & socially advanced state is one that he will never meet without both social & political change. In my opinion which is based on evidence, he is not up to that challenge as he has fallen captive into the trap set by western PR men, men who are wileier foxes than Sheikh Mohammed or Sheikh Hamdan will ever be, & he has allowed an insecure ego to be massaged to the benifit of Western, mostly British big business interests & nor most certainly Dear God is Sheikh Hamdan up to that challenge. The big question is who will be, as the calamity of an increasing local population in an (ultimately) unsustainable desert state, when global peak oil starts to kick in?

That's a mouthful Tommy. However, I understood and agree with every word of it. So, you gonna tell Shk Mo all this? lol. Does he have a lot of 'yes' men around him telling him yes to everything he wants to hear? No one to tell him 'no' he can't do that because it's not logical or whatever other reason there would be. Wonder what would happen if someone did stand up and say, no, you can't do that.

Okay, we all know the problems when mating with your first cousin but this is not the topic, the topic is Marriage Customs of the Ruling family, so could we please get back on topic.

Thanks
Dazzling

I dont know if is out of topic or not. But I wonder How Sheikhas must feel with theirselfs knowing that they´ll be consider by their husbands only Baby Factories!!! I mean they have all charities but as far as I can tell there´s nothing Big and important to they to work on. I mean, this women as all men must be raised to work for they country in equal terms.

i agree with Tommy, Mo has open his own page on FB & Twitter, he is d " all so modern and so open minded" ruler of Dubai and Queen ERlizabeth favorite Sheikh, but he still continues in this "babaric unholy, unedifying first cousin marriage of a thing" this is so wrong this custom must be abolished if he is truly d open minded ruler he thinks he is then he shd stop it, and not marry his son off to first cousins

I dont know if is out of topic or not. But I wonder How Sheikhas must feel with theirselfs knowing that they´ll be consider by their husbands only Baby Factories!!!

I could agree that this was a few years back but nowadays its toatlly different, most of the generation now are marrying for love are marrying whom they want. As for a Sheikha, she has to marry a relative or a family or someone from a ruling family as for a Sheikh he can marry whom ever he wants but many choose to marry their cousins.

Many of the newly married couples have no children and that is prove that they arent baby machines, im talking about the ruling families in the UAE and not normal people.

i agree with Tommy, Mo has open his own page on FB & Twitter, he is d " all so modern and so open minded" ruler of Dubai and Queen ERlizabeth favorite Sheikh, but he still continues in this "babaric unholy, unedifying first cousin marriage of a thing" this is so wrong this custom must be abolished if he is truly d open minded ruler he thinks he is then he shd stop it, and not marry his son off to first cousins

Being modern and open about things IMO isnt stopping marriage to a cousin which is a common thing in the region and not only in the UAE. Sheikh Hamdan is marrying for love and does want the girl so why stop it off just because she is a cousin. If he had been engaged to someone else many would say he isnt marrying for love or something on those lines.

How can you affirm that sheikh hamdan loves the girl??..IF he was the one who in his last poem said that " He was looking for his sweetheart but can't find her in Dubai" ? Well doesn't his cousin live in Dubai?? Isn't that a lil' of contradiction???:whistling::whistling:

As I said: It would be OK for Sheikh Hamdan because of his culture or customs, not for me I would never like to marry with my first, second or whatever cousin, but I cannot change anyones customs.
I am aware of birth defects etc
If Hamdan marries his first cousin is because of some very personal reason, only he knows why or maybe he marries someone else at the last minute, who knows!!

Lindinha856 could you please post this poem?Thanks:)

Oh, yes... I would LOVE to read that poem... It has put me in such suspense.
I don't think it had to do with his life but a lot if his poems do... Maybe there is a twist we don't know about?

The Maktoums are a close knit family. Sheikh Mohammed even said that Arabs are big family people and if the Maktoums rule Dubai they all should be in one city.

I will defenitlly read the poem... :) and yes, i agree with all of u, those women have only one big thing to do- give birth to as much kids as they can... Sheikha Hind have how much, around 12. 13 kids? Yes she is important to humanitarian work but... :-/

I will defenitlly read the poem... :) and yes, i agree with all of u, those women have only one big thing to do- give birth to as much kids as they can... Sheikha Hind have how much, around 12. 13 kids? Yes she is important to humanitarian work but... :-/

Sheikha Hind has 12 children and I dont think anybody forced her to have 12. She couldve easily stopped having them at any number she wanted. I think its quite unfair to always say that they are there to produce babies but without considering that maybe the women do want to have so many and its difficult for many to think or agree that some of these men really like their ladies or marry for love. They are no different than others.

I would love to have as many kids as i could, that is for sure, but somehow it always seems like those women have a presure to have many kids. Sheika Hind did a great job by rasing tham, but like a said, since shes not public person and since she does have that many kids, it seems like shes been under a presure to have tham... it is a bit strange for me that someone has so many kids, because in my country the top is maybe 5 kids... dont get me wrong, i would love to have many kids, but for me 'many kids' are like 5... so, like i said, maybe because of there tradicional befaivor or whatever, but it really looks like they are taken like not so nice say 'factories'...

Back
Top Bottom