The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM
Gentry

As dazling said..the title Sheikha is ginven to the royals in the gulf..
even in bahrain..king hamad's other wives are not sheikhas but they are titled as sheikhas..
A sheikhs wife is always titled as a sheikha=)

Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 AM
Nobility

Thanks for answering my questions...Another query--Why is Princess Haya of Jordan retained her title as Princess and not changed to Sheikha since she married Sheikh Mohammed???..

Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoogie View Post
Thanks for answering my questions...Another query--Why is Princess Haya of Jordan retained her title as Princess and not changed to Sheikha since she married Sheikh Mohammed???..
I guess it is one of the following:
- Princess is an equally high or higher ranked title then Sheikha so there is no use for Haya to change it
- Haya wants to distance herself from the other wives of Mo.
- Mohammad is very proud to have married a Jordan Hashemite princess and he wants everybody to know.
- Haya is very modern and the title princess sounds more modern then sheicha
- Haya is very modern so she didn't want to change her own name just because she married
Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Commoner

Bettina, to answer your question... i think the reason why Princess Haya didnt change her title is because: titled women do not loss their titles when they get married, unless through their marriage they are acquiring a higher title (for example, in the case of Haya it would be queen)...and since she wasnt going to get the title of queen, she retained princesss.
I actually read this some where.(not about about princess Haya but about titled women)

I also think your question was a very good one.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Aristocracy

i think princess and sheikha might be two words to describe something similar. like an orange and tangerine. they are both similar and one isnt better than the other. they are the same but different. please no one attack me for comparing princesses and sheikhas to fruit i was just trying to think of example and mean no offense!

i think the thing w haya that people forget that by being a member of jordan royal family she is a desendent of prophet mohammed. i am not muslim and not an expert but i heard that somewhere and i can only imagine that is a huge deal.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've just deleted a completely unnecessary exchange of hostilities on the topic of Princess Haya's title. It ought to be possible to disagree without accusing other people of malicious intent. Please remember our rule about exchanges of opinions at TRF:
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
I hope this nonsense won't flare up again, because it isn't fair to other people who are trying to have a sensible conversation.

Elspeth

Royal Forums admin
Old 03-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Aristocracy

Do people in Dubai usually have big wedding or only small ceremony? How about the children of Sheikh Mohammed? Because I saw pics of Sheikh Mohammed's wedding to Princess Haya, and it's a SMALL ceremony for a ruler and a princess..
Old 03-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Gentry

Well in the gulf..most of the people make big wedding ceremonies..
and abt Mohammed n haya..their marriage was not official to the UAE..they got married in jordan onlii in the presence of hayas family..it was a shock to the UAE PPL..
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryamii View Post
Well in the gulf..most of the people make big wedding ceremonies..
and abt Mohammed n haya..their marriage was not official to the UAE..they got married in jordan onlii in the presence of hayas family..it was a shock to the UAE PPL..
Sheikh Mohammed's son was there as well, Sheikh Hamdan.
I think since a signing took place & was announced than its considered an official marriage.
Yes, It did come as a suprise to many of the UAE people since it was very unexpected.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

But I have a question.Which wedding do Al Maktoum family make?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Aristocracy

I have a question.. So when for example a member of Al Maktoum family got married, will they make a big celebration, or mostly they just have a simple Muslim wedding ceremony, such as the Nikaah in a Mosque?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Aristocracy

it will be a very huge celebration of course!
Old 04-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Aristocracy

divorce is allowed. if i am not mistaken, sheikh hamdan bin zayed divorced his first wife. she is the mother of his 3 older sons. i heard she still lives in abu dhabi. adoption...........someone else will have to answer that one.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

abit off topic but a slight correction, its 2 sons. If im not mistaken, his first wife was a cousin. Second wife is a far relative.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

This thread has been cleaned up and re-titled Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family.

• Posts discussing marriage customs in the UAE, Gulf States, KSA, Jordan, Turkey and Uzbekistan have been moved to a new thread in Members' Corner called Marriage Customs in the non-Western World.

• Posts not discussing marriage customs have been removed.

Please keep all future posts relevant to the marriage customs of the Al Maktoum Ruling Family.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Warren, Humera and Dazzling
the Dubai moderators
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai-girl View Post
no she is not
but if she is okay with it
its fine her father wont say yes only when he knows that he is one of a kind

(she was enggaged since she was 12)
know this message is old BUT 12 YEARS YOUNG!!and enggaged i can't believe it, when your 12 u just wanne play with your friends being a fan of a boy/girlband and hate your homework NOT getting enggaged GONE Freedom GONE Childhood!! i think u don't eaven know what that means....

no hard feelings but this is really weird. i'm a moroccon we have the same culture but getting enggaged when your 12 years YOUNG i don't get it!!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

How interesting to learn about the marriage customs of the ruling family of dubai. It will be interesting to see what happens with Hamdan and Rashid in days to come.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

When a public announcement of Hamdan's engagement is made it's a sure bet the news will make it into these Forums.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

They announced the engagement of shka latifa bin mo al maktoum to shk mohammed al sharqi of fujariah. Does anybody have information as to when the wedding will happen?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

its true that sheikh rashid and sheikh hamdan could get married in the same day? its like a tradition in the UAE?? im just saying cuz i I would not like that my sister was stealing my thunder. just kidding lol!!!