Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think the Maktoum boys would be allowed to have longtime relationships with anyone outside of marriage. I mean, islam doesn't approve obviously but would Hind know and think it's fine/inevitable as long as it is discreet? Would such girl be invited for tea with the Maktoums? What kind of girls would this be ?

They can do but,the girl or the boy must be DESCENT.

Of course, Islam approve all marriages.The important is being Moslem.If he/she is Moslem,it is ok.But if not,it is not ok.
Marriages from relative is NOT about Islam.It is about gulf culture.
Turkey(my country)is also Moslem,but nobody marry with relative.We marry with felling in love.
Gulf countries is also marry with felling in love but with relative.I don't know how they love but,they fell in love with their cousins.
This is not about Islam.

Hind is not secret.She is just not in public because of the culture.
In gulf ,men doesn't want to see their wifes in public.They say that women are like diamond.Diamond must be hide.I don't know why but they are happy with that.Women are always HOLY in Islam.
Girl can be invited for everything,not just a tea.
Girl must be descent.I meant reading university,knowing languages etc..

I hope I helped but I was very sorry when I read.

Friends lots of times,I reliaze that you think gulf culture is always like Islam.
This is Not true. Yes gulf culture is suit for Islam but some of them are not in Islam.
For example women are not in public in gulf.But for Islam it can be.

Please and please don't complicate.Lots of things because of the gulf culture.
You can not see in Turkey like that things.Yes Turkey is not Islamic country,Turkey is laic and liberal.But Islam is suit for everywhere and give women lots of rights.
I am very sorry when you complicate Gulf and Islam.If you think when you want to ask,I will be happy.:)Of course you are all respectful when you are asking but I am really sorry when I read some questions.:)

lets not forget that just bc we dont have pictures of sheikhas after they marry doesnt mean they dont go out in "public." granted they cant go to clubs or things like that but they do go out. they just arent photographed.

Do you think the Maktoum family can accept a new member if that person is not an Emirati? For example, if the nephews or nieces of Sheikh Mohammed wants to marry someone who is not an Emirati, but they convert to Islam, will that be accepted?

Sheikh Mohammeds nephew married an Eastern European lady mid 2007 ( I think she was a muslim ). Sheikh Mohammeds sisters is married/seperated now from a Saudi prince. So Marrying an outsider or non-Dubaian does happen in the al-Maktoum family.
Whether they have long term relationships, that we dont know of because its not a public thing.

Yes of course.But they must be descent.

&you know firstly marry Sheikha lots of times.
I don't think that Mo's sons will marry multiple.(also the others)
If Sheikh Mo's sons would be like King Abdullah of Jordan who has a western and modern belief of having one and only official wife, then they wont have a wife number 2,3 and 4..but oh well thats their lives and its accepted in their religion,who are we to judge,lol--as long as the wives and children are happy and feel very loved...

Last edited:

[shortened post]

.... Girl must be descent.I meant reading university,knowing languages etc..

Universities, reading and writing do not make people decent. Family and upbringing usually do. I am not sure whether universites are required for Sheikhas. They can be educated at home with help of various governesses (i.e.,gouvernante). The families can definitely afford it.

Last edited:
Its not true that if boys and girls from outside want to marry into the family that they have to finish their university. For example HH Sarah from Brunei she was i think 17/18yr old when she married and now she studies Foreign politics.
To candygirl_68: Dubai has a modern image but not everything is modern, f.ex. the law system. their was the case of the young french boy who was...i dont want to say. Im sure you all know that. It was a big deal between France and Dubai. But i have to admit that His Highness Shk Mo is really a good leader and when im allowed to say a really nice person. He answered to a question concerning the case that the law system in Dubai is 15yr behind european countries. I mean he admitted it that showed his honesty. In addition he said that he wants to reform the law system but he has to do it with a lot of care in respect to the culture of his country:flowers:.

You have a point!;)But also girls or boys from outside if want to marry,they have to finish university.I am not sure but I remember like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few off-topic posts have started :evil:could we please leave this thread to talk & discuss Dubai Marriage Customs. Furthermore off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Thank you
Dubai Moderators

I have another question.. If the member of Al Maktoum family marry an outsider, will they be granted a title Sheikh or Sheikha and the Maktoum family name? Or they will just be an ordinary citizen who happens to marry someone from the Al Maktoum family?

I have another question.. If the member of Al Maktoum family marry an outsider, will they be granted a title Sheikh or Sheikha and the Maktoum family name? Or they will just be an ordinary citizen who happens to marry someone from the Al Maktoum family?

A title is always given. Sheikh Hasher's wife was anormal citizen, after marriage she got the title "Sheikha". A title is also given in other ruling familys in the UAE.

As dazling said..the title Sheikha is ginven to the royals in the gulf..
even in bahrain..king hamad's other wives are not sheikhas but they are titled as sheikhas..
A sheikhs wife is always titled as a sheikha=)

Thanks for answering my questions:flowers:...Another query--Why is Princess Haya of Jordan retained her title as Princess and not changed to Sheikha since she married Sheikh Mohammed???..

Thanks for answering my questions:flowers:...Another query--Why is Princess Haya of Jordan retained her title as Princess and not changed to Sheikha since she married Sheikh Mohammed???..

I guess it is one of the following:
- Princess is an equally high or higher ranked title then Sheikha so there is no use for Haya to change it:cool:
- Haya wants to distance herself from the other wives of Mo. :ermm:
- Mohammad is very proud to have married a Jordan Hashemite princess and he wants everybody to know. :rolleyes:
- Haya is very modern and the title princess sounds more modern then sheicha:neutral:
- Haya is very modern so she didn't want to change her own name just because she married:D

Bettina, to answer your question... i think the reason why Princess Haya didnt change her title is because: titled women do not loss their titles when they get married, unless through their marriage they are acquiring a higher title (for example, in the case of Haya it would be queen)...and since she wasnt going to get the title of queen, she retained princesss.
I actually read this some where.(not about about princess Haya but about titled women)

I also think your question was a very good one.

i think princess and sheikha might be two words to describe something similar. like an orange and tangerine. they are both similar and one isnt better than the other. they are the same but different. please no one attack me for comparing princesses and sheikhas to fruit i was just trying to think of example and mean no offense!

i think the thing w haya that people forget that by being a member of jordan royal family she is a desendent of prophet mohammed. i am not muslim and not an expert but i heard that somewhere and i can only imagine that is a huge deal.

I've just deleted a completely unnecessary exchange of hostilities on the topic of Princess Haya's title. It ought to be possible to disagree without accusing other people of malicious intent. Please remember our rule about exchanges of opinions at TRF:
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
I hope this nonsense won't flare up again, because it isn't fair to other people who are trying to have a sensible conversation.

Elspeth

Royal Forums admin

Do people in Dubai usually have big wedding or only small ceremony? How about the children of Sheikh Mohammed? Because I saw pics of Sheikh Mohammed's wedding to Princess Haya, and it's a SMALL ceremony for a ruler and a princess..

Well in the gulf..most of the people make big wedding ceremonies..
and abt Mohammed n haya..their marriage was not official to the UAE..they got married in jordan onlii in the presence of hayas family..it was a shock to the UAE PPL..

Well in the gulf..most of the people make big wedding ceremonies..
and abt Mohammed n haya..their marriage was not official to the UAE..they got married in jordan onlii in the presence of hayas family..it was a shock to the UAE PPL..

Sheikh Mohammed's son was there as well, Sheikh Hamdan.
I think since a signing took place & was announced than its considered an official marriage.
Yes, It did come as a suprise to many of the UAE people since it was very unexpected.

But I have a question.Which wedding do Al Maktoum family make?

I have a question.. So when for example a member of Al Maktoum family got married, will they make a big celebration, or mostly they just have a simple Muslim wedding ceremony, such as the Nikaah in a Mosque?

divorce is allowed. if i am not mistaken, sheikh hamdan bin zayed divorced his first wife. she is the mother of his 3 older sons. i heard she still lives in abu dhabi. adoption...........someone else will have to answer that one.

abit off topic but a slight correction, its 2 sons. If im not mistaken, his first wife was a cousin. Second wife is a far relative.

This thread has been cleaned up and re-titled Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family.

• Posts discussing marriage customs in the UAE, Gulf States, KSA, Jordan, Turkey and Uzbekistan have been moved to a new thread in Members' Corner called Marriage Customs in the non-Western World.

• Posts not discussing marriage customs have been removed.

Please keep all future posts relevant to the marriage customs of the Al Maktoum Ruling Family.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Warren, Humera and Dazzling
the Dubai moderators

no she is not
but if she is okay with it
its fine her father wont say yes only when he knows that he is one of a kind

(she was enggaged since she was 12)

know this message is old BUT 12 YEARS YOUNG!!and enggaged i can't believe it, when your 12 u just wanne play with your friends being a fan of a boy/girlband and hate your homework NOT getting enggaged GONE Freedom GONE Childhood!! i think u don't eaven know what that means....

no hard feelings but this is really weird. i'm a moroccon we have the same culture but getting enggaged when your 12 years YOUNG i don't get it!!

How interesting to learn about the marriage customs of the ruling family of dubai. It will be interesting to see what happens with Hamdan and Rashid in days to come.

When a public announcement of Hamdan's engagement is made it's a sure bet the news will make it into these Forums.

They announced the engagement of shka latifa bin mo al maktoum to shk mohammed al sharqi of fujariah. Does anybody have information as to when the wedding will happen?

its true that sheikh rashid and sheikh hamdan could get married in the same day? its like a tradition in the UAE?? im just saying cuz i I would not like that my sister was stealing my thunder. just kidding lol!!!

Back
Top Bottom