The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikodi View Post
My point is, is it practical considering the political turbulance in the Arab world, P Haya's marriage to Sheikh Mohammed and the reaction to it for any of Sheikh Mo's sons to marry a non-Emirati, non-Arab or non-Muslim and it was known to the public. I also wonder if this applies in the Maktoum family officially or unofficially:

I hope Sheikh mo's sons marry women who will be seen and photographed in public.
Sheikh Mo officially married twice. He also has other marriages that have been unofficially closed. I am aware that it is difficult for foreigners to understand our culture.

Your last point: Time will be changed! You can change the look of a city in 10 years, completely, but to change the traditions of a country, we need 100 years and more. Sometimes traditions such as these remain as they are - even if you can not understand why.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotta View Post
For what it's worth, I never heard of Shaikh Zayed requiring Sheiks to marry only Shaikhas. He did encourage (not require only encouraged) Emiratis to marry Emiratis; and it is difficult to acquire Emirati citizenship to this day. I do believe that Zayed wanted to champion the continuation of Emirates' customs and tradition in the modern world he helped create. Correct me if I am wrong here (but my spell check has also corrected things to the point where I am not certain of which is right, so please don't bother with that).
absolutely right. He did encourage (not forced) to marry Emiratis other Emiratis; The TRADITIONS he saw as important for the future at the United Arab Emirates. Because in his words: who has no past (who can forget his roots) has no future.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Commoner

Iman, as an Emirati, do you think your fellow Dubaians/Emiratis would accept if CP Hamdan or either of Sh Mo's sons married a foreign royal, a non-Muslim, a non-Arab or a non-Emirati as his official wife? How would you rate each on a scale of 1 to 10 for adverse reaction (10 being totally unacceptable and 1 being totally acceptable)? Example: a foreign royal (your score)
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Iman, as an Emirati, do you think your fellow Dubaians/Emiratis would accept if CP Hamdan or either of Sh Mo's sons married a foreign royal, a non-Muslim, a non-Arab or a non-Emirati as his official wife? How would you rate each on a scale of 1 to 10 for adverse reaction (10 being totally unacceptable and 1 being totally acceptable)? Example: a foreign royal (your score)
I`m one Emirati only, Im not a complete society with a uniform opinion. Therefore I can only answer the question on my person out.

official wife for CP HH Sheikh Hamdan
a foreign arab royal (1)
a foreign royal (4)
a non-Muslim (10)
a non Arab (7)
a non Emirati (4)

official wife for other unmarried sons of HH Sheikh Mo
a foreign arab royal (1)
a foreign royal (2)
a non-Muslim (10)
a non Arab (4)
a non Emirati (2)

For inofficial wifes all point the same - (1) for all unmarried Sheikhs, because marriage of an inofficial wife is their private affair only. There will always be those who are concerned and others who find it ok.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Aristocracy

i am sure 100% that everyone will be surprised with CP Hamdan's choice of wife. He's what you can call it a "modern prince," therefore i can see traditions being broken and a lot of people going... "WOW"!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Commoner

Thanks Iman! Would it really be that bad if hamdan or his brothers married a non-Muslim? Why is this the case? What about a non-Muslim foreign royal (Christian or Jewish)?

Any other Emiratis want to add their input?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
i am sure 100% that everyone will be surprised with CP Hamdan's choice of wife. He's what you can call it a "modern prince," therefore i can see traditions being broken and a lot of people going... "WOW"!
Being modern doesn't mean he has to break from tradition.
Hamdan seems like a very traditional person, he is very into tradition and tradition habits, sports etc. Hamdan does not seem like a person who will marry a non-emarati as a first wife and if he marries a an Emarati commoner that will be fine as many Sheikh's do.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

A lot of Sheikha's on their wedding day do wear tiaras which are later kept and handed do their children on their wedding day or converted into a necklace.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Hamdan seems like a very traditional person, he is very into tradition and tradition habits, sports etc. Hamdan does not seem like a person who will marry a non-emarati as a first wife and if he marries a an Emarati commoner that will be fine as many Sheikh's do.
Thanks for your opinion Dazzling. i still think that Hamdan will surprise everyone out with his choice of future wife.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks Iman! Would it really be that bad if hamdan or his brothers married a non-Muslim? Why is this the case? What about a non-Muslim foreign royal (Christian or Jewish)?
It is not really bad. But we love our traditions. It is acceptable in the eyes of many Emiratis when he marries a Muslim. But I think that an official marriage with a non-muslim would be difficult for the wife. Sometimes the sheikh more than one wife. Do you believe that a Christian woman would accept that? If the couple has children, then these Muslims and would grow in that faith. Can a Christian or Jewish woman do this?

We have a saying in Arabic: The stranger is blind, although he can see. This explains that for a non-emiraty it would be very difficult to come to terms with our traditions unconditionally. And just this absolute respect and acceptance of our traditions for the future wife of a CP is very important if she want to exist in our society.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
That is absolutely correct. I think his first official wife will be a UAE national or at least an Arab Mulim. That will be good for the future of our country. Should he marry more women unofficially, it does not matter where those come from or what religion they have. This is his personal private matter only.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
That is absolutely correct. I think his first official wife will be a UAE national or at least an Arab Mulim. That will be good for the future of our country. Should he marry more women unofficially, it does not matter where those come from or what religion they have. This is his personal private matter only.
Personally I think it would be the best for the good of the UAE too. Sometimes it's just hard for outsiders to fully incorporate themselves. Not saying that it is impossible, it would just be very hard.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
It is not really bad. But we love our traditions. It is acceptable in the eyes of many Emiratis when he marries a Muslim. But I think that an official marriage with a non-muslim would be difficult for the wife. Sometimes the sheikh more than one wife. Do you believe that a Christian woman would accept that? If the couple has children, then these Muslims and would grow in that faith. Can a Christian or Jewish woman do this?

We have a saying in Arabic: The stranger is blind, although he can see. This explains that for a non-emiraty it would be very difficult to come to terms with our traditions unconditionally. And just this absolute respect and acceptance of our traditions for the future wife of a CP is very important if she want to exist in our society.

Greetings Iman,

What is your take on a marriage between HH Sheikh Hamdan and a Zulu Princess (Christian, of course)? Obviously the bride would have to adjust, but would the population tolerate it?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Commoner

"Unofficial" wives

It is true that it can be very difficult for outsiders to understand Emirati or other Arab countries' customs. For example, would someone give me a definition of an "unofficial" wife? What rights does she have? Can she initiate a divorce? Can she own her own property? Does she have rights to inherit a portion of her husband's estate when he dies? What rights to support does she have if her husband divorces her? Does she have a right to keep her children with her? Do they have rights of inheritance? In what way do the "unofficial" wives rights, duties and responsibilities differ from those of the "official" wives? This is definitely an area where there is likely to be a great deal of misunderstanding on the part of non-Muslims and/or non-Arabs.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

An official wife of a sheikh or Arab prince would be a Muslim. An unofficial wife may have the option to convert or not to convert, if she is not already a Muslim. If she is aboard, it may not be an issue, but if she is living within the respective country, she will have to convert and the children will be raised as Muslims within the country.

The likelihood of an official wife being a non-Muslim is not plausible. A Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or Catholic would have to convert and learn the tradition and social/cultural norms to exist within the social constructs of a Muslim society. It would be very challenging for a non-Muslim to adjust, especially if they are use to (acclimated to) Western norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornianLady View Post
It is true that it can be very difficult for outsiders to understand Emirati or other Arab countries' customs. For example, would someone give me a definition of an "unofficial" wife? What rights does she have? Can she initiate a divorce? Can she own her own property? Does she have rights to inherit a portion of her husband's estate when he dies? What rights to support does she have if her husband divorces her? Does she have a right to keep her children with her? Do they have rights of inheritance? In what way do the "unofficial" wives rights, duties and responsibilities differ from those of the "official" wives? This is definitely an area where there is likely to be a great deal of misunderstanding on the part of non-Muslims and/or non-Arabs.
To answer your questions:

An unofficial wife would not have any official/public role other than "private wife." In the event of a divorce, the wife may be given a settlement or she might not. If it is an amicable split, she may get a nice settlement. As for children, it depends on the sheikh or prince (look at the Sultan of Brunei, his children with the second wife, whom he divorced, they live in London primarily with their mother). If the sheikh/prince wants his children to remain with him in his country, the woman probable would not get primary custody of the children. She would have to come visit or she not have access to her children at all.

In the event that sheikh/prince dies and there are official wives, they would be provide for first and their offspring, unless, the sheikh/prince has made provisions before his death, you might be out of luck.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent

What is the difference between an "unofficial wife" and a mistress or concubine? I assume that these unofficial wives are in addition to the 4 wives a Muslim man can have at the same time. Do official wives 1-4 have equal status or is it better to be wife #1 than wife #4?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What is the difference between an "unofficial wife" and a mistress or concubine? I assume that these unofficial wives are in addition to the 4 wives a Muslim man can have at the same time. Do official wives 1-4 have equal status or is it better to be wife #1 than wife #4?
An unofficial wife is is a women whom a sheikh or prince has married but he has not announced the union. It would be the same as getting married but not announcing in a newspaper or sending formal announcements associates/friends/co-workers.

No, unofficial wives are included in the 4 wives that a Muslim man is allowed to have according to the Quran. All wives are to be treated equally. However, that is not allows the case. For example, Sheikh Mohammad of the UAE has acknowledged Shiekha Hind and Princess Haya, but he has not acknowledged the union he had with Maitha and Christina's mother.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

I respect the UAE traditions and culture. However, i believe that it is inevitable for the whole world to go through changes and modernization and UAE not be affected by it. Wether the UAE people like it or not change will come. I have emirate friends and i was actually speaking to one of my friends and she said that emirate people are actually changing their views on having multiple wives. Especially with this economy, everyone i mean literally the whole world has been affected by it and we all know that the bigger your family is the more $ you spend. I believe that things are changing even if its slowly but things are changing in the UAE society. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay the same with all respect to my emirate brothers and sisters.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
I respect the UAE traditions and culture. However, i believe that it is inevitable for the whole world to go through changes and modernization and UAE not be affected by it. Wether the UAE people like it or not change will come. I have emirate friends and i was actually speaking to one of my friends and she said that emirate people are actually changing their views on having multiple wives. Especially with this economy, everyone i mean literally the whole world has been affected by it and we all know that the bigger your family is the more $ you spend. I believe that things are changing even if its slowly but things are changing in the UAE society. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay the same with all respect to my emirate brothers and sisters.
Thank you for your openness my european sister. Of course, our society is changing steadily in the UAE as well as all forms of society constantly changing in the world. Society is not static. Many Sheikhs have more than one wife at the same time. But the normal local in more than 80% of cases have only one wife. There is nothing so that all Emirati men have two, three or four wives. The possibility of several women comes from the Quran. But there is this from the religion of clear rules, under which circumstances this is possible. One of them is that they all women in the same way has to supply. This means you must have, of course, a good financial status. It therefore does not change the tradition - you have the opportunity to marry several women continue- but only the financial situation of individuals prevented such multible marriage.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Commoner

My husband once observed, "In the West we are polygamous, too, only we have one spouse at a time, get rid of them and take another. So we practice serial polygamy."