The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikodi View Post
My point is, is it practical considering the political turbulance in the Arab world, P Haya's marriage to Sheikh Mohammed and the reaction to it for any of Sheikh Mo's sons to marry a non-Emirati, non-Arab or non-Muslim and it was known to the public. I also wonder if this applies in the Maktoum family officially or unofficially:

I hope Sheikh mo's sons marry women who will be seen and photographed in public.
Sheikh Mo officially married twice. He also has other marriages that have been unofficially closed. I am aware that it is difficult for foreigners to understand our culture.

Your last point: Time will be changed! You can change the look of a city in 10 years, completely, but to change the traditions of a country, we need 100 years and more. Sometimes traditions such as these remain as they are - even if you can not understand why.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotta View Post
For what it's worth, I never heard of Shaikh Zayed requiring Sheiks to marry only Shaikhas. He did encourage (not require only encouraged) Emiratis to marry Emiratis; and it is difficult to acquire Emirati citizenship to this day. I do believe that Zayed wanted to champion the continuation of Emirates' customs and tradition in the modern world he helped create. Correct me if I am wrong here (but my spell check has also corrected things to the point where I am not certain of which is right, so please don't bother with that).
absolutely right. He did encourage (not forced) to marry Emiratis other Emiratis; The TRADITIONS he saw as important for the future at the United Arab Emirates. Because in his words: who has no past (who can forget his roots) has no future.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 21
Iman, as an Emirati, do you think your fellow Dubaians/Emiratis would accept if CP Hamdan or either of Sh Mo's sons married a foreign royal, a non-Muslim, a non-Arab or a non-Emirati as his official wife? How would you rate each on a scale of 1 to 10 for adverse reaction (10 being totally unacceptable and 1 being totally acceptable)? Example: a foreign royal (your score)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikodi View Post
Iman, as an Emirati, do you think your fellow Dubaians/Emiratis would accept if CP Hamdan or either of Sh Mo's sons married a foreign royal, a non-Muslim, a non-Arab or a non-Emirati as his official wife? How would you rate each on a scale of 1 to 10 for adverse reaction (10 being totally unacceptable and 1 being totally acceptable)? Example: a foreign royal (your score)
I`m one Emirati only, Im not a complete society with a uniform opinion. Therefore I can only answer the question on my person out.

official wife for CP HH Sheikh Hamdan
a foreign arab royal (1)
a foreign royal (4)
a non-Muslim (10)
a non Arab (7)
a non Emirati (4)

official wife for other unmarried sons of HH Sheikh Mo
a foreign arab royal (1)
a foreign royal (2)
a non-Muslim (10)
a non Arab (4)
a non Emirati (2)

For inofficial wifes all point the same - (1) for all unmarried Sheikhs, because marriage of an inofficial wife is their private affair only. There will always be those who are concerned and others who find it ok.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 140
i am sure 100% that everyone will be surprised with CP Hamdan's choice of wife. He's what you can call it a "modern prince," therefore i can see traditions being broken and a lot of people going... "WOW"!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 21
Thanks Iman! Would it really be that bad if hamdan or his brothers married a non-Muslim? Why is this the case? What about a non-Muslim foreign royal (Christian or Jewish)?

Any other Emiratis want to add their input?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
i am sure 100% that everyone will be surprised with CP Hamdan's choice of wife. He's what you can call it a "modern prince," therefore i can see traditions being broken and a lot of people going... "WOW"!
Being modern doesn't mean he has to break from tradition.
Hamdan seems like a very traditional person, he is very into tradition and tradition habits, sports etc. Hamdan does not seem like a person who will marry a non-emarati as a first wife and if he marries a an Emarati commoner that will be fine as many Sheikh's do.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,504
A lot of Sheikha's on their wedding day do wear tiaras which are later kept and handed do their children on their wedding day or converted into a necklace.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Being modern doesn't mean he has to break from tradition.
Hamdan seems like a very traditional person, he is very into tradition and tradition habits, sports etc. Hamdan does not seem like a person who will marry a non-emarati as a first wife and if he marries a an Emarati commoner that will be fine as many Sheikh's do.
Thanks for your opinion Dazzling. i still think that Hamdan will surprise everyone out with his choice of future wife.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikodi View Post
Thanks Iman! Would it really be that bad if hamdan or his brothers married a non-Muslim? Why is this the case? What about a non-Muslim foreign royal (Christian or Jewish)?
It is not really bad. But we love our traditions. It is acceptable in the eyes of many Emiratis when he marries a Muslim. But I think that an official marriage with a non-muslim would be difficult for the wife. Sometimes the sheikh more than one wife. Do you believe that a Christian woman would accept that? If the couple has children, then these Muslims and would grow in that faith. Can a Christian or Jewish woman do this?

We have a saying in Arabic: The stranger is blind, although he can see. This explains that for a non-emiraty it would be very difficult to come to terms with our traditions unconditionally. And just this absolute respect and acceptance of our traditions for the future wife of a CP is very important if she want to exist in our society.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Being modern doesn't mean he has to break from tradition.
Hamdan seems like a very traditional person, he is very into tradition and tradition habits, sports etc. Hamdan does not seem like a person who will marry a non-emarati as a first wife and if he marries a an Emarati commoner that will be fine as many Sheikh's do.
That is absolutely correct. I think his first official wife will be a UAE national or at least an Arab Mulim. That will be good for the future of our country. Should he marry more women unofficially, it does not matter where those come from or what religion they have. This is his personal private matter only.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Kalila18's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minneapolis-St.Paul, United States
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
That is absolutely correct. I think his first official wife will be a UAE national or at least an Arab Mulim. That will be good for the future of our country. Should he marry more women unofficially, it does not matter where those come from or what religion they have. This is his personal private matter only.
Personally I think it would be the best for the good of the UAE too. Sometimes it's just hard for outsiders to fully incorporate themselves. Not saying that it is impossible, it would just be very hard.
__________________
The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~Arabian Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 70
Quote:
It is not really bad. But we love our traditions. It is acceptable in the eyes of many Emiratis when he marries a Muslim. But I think that an official marriage with a non-muslim would be difficult for the wife. Sometimes the sheikh more than one wife. Do you believe that a Christian woman would accept that? If the couple has children, then these Muslims and would grow in that faith. Can a Christian or Jewish woman do this?

We have a saying in Arabic: The stranger is blind, although he can see. This explains that for a non-emiraty it would be very difficult to come to terms with our traditions unconditionally. And just this absolute respect and acceptance of our traditions for the future wife of a CP is very important if she want to exist in our society.

That is absolutely correct. I think his first official wife will be a UAE national or at least an Arab Mulim. That will be good for the future of our country. Should he marry more women unofficially, it does not matter where those come from or what religion they have. This is his personal private matter only.
Greetings Iman,

What is your take on a marriage between HH Sheikh Hamdan and a Zulu Princess (Christian, of course)? Obviously the bride would have to adjust, but would the population tolerate it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kensington, United States
Posts: 23
"Unofficial" wives

It is true that it can be very difficult for outsiders to understand Emirati or other Arab countries' customs. For example, would someone give me a definition of an "unofficial" wife? What rights does she have? Can she initiate a divorce? Can she own her own property? Does she have rights to inherit a portion of her husband's estate when he dies? What rights to support does she have if her husband divorces her? Does she have a right to keep her children with her? Do they have rights of inheritance? In what way do the "unofficial" wives rights, duties and responsibilities differ from those of the "official" wives? This is definitely an area where there is likely to be a great deal of misunderstanding on the part of non-Muslims and/or non-Arabs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Akilah's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 202
An official wife of a sheikh or Arab prince would be a Muslim. An unofficial wife may have the option to convert or not to convert, if she is not already a Muslim. If she is aboard, it may not be an issue, but if she is living within the respective country, she will have to convert and the children will be raised as Muslims within the country.

The likelihood of an official wife being a non-Muslim is not plausible. A Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or Catholic would have to convert and learn the tradition and social/cultural norms to exist within the social constructs of a Muslim society. It would be very challenging for a non-Muslim to adjust, especially if they are use to (acclimated to) Western norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornianLady View Post
It is true that it can be very difficult for outsiders to understand Emirati or other Arab countries' customs. For example, would someone give me a definition of an "unofficial" wife? What rights does she have? Can she initiate a divorce? Can she own her own property? Does she have rights to inherit a portion of her husband's estate when he dies? What rights to support does she have if her husband divorces her? Does she have a right to keep her children with her? Do they have rights of inheritance? In what way do the "unofficial" wives rights, duties and responsibilities differ from those of the "official" wives? This is definitely an area where there is likely to be a great deal of misunderstanding on the part of non-Muslims and/or non-Arabs.
To answer your questions:

An unofficial wife would not have any official/public role other than "private wife." In the event of a divorce, the wife may be given a settlement or she might not. If it is an amicable split, she may get a nice settlement. As for children, it depends on the sheikh or prince (look at the Sultan of Brunei, his children with the second wife, whom he divorced, they live in London primarily with their mother). If the sheikh/prince wants his children to remain with him in his country, the woman probable would not get primary custody of the children. She would have to come visit or she not have access to her children at all.

In the event that sheikh/prince dies and there are official wives, they would be provide for first and their offspring, unless, the sheikh/prince has made provisions before his death, you might be out of luck.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
What is the difference between an "unofficial wife" and a mistress or concubine? I assume that these unofficial wives are in addition to the 4 wives a Muslim man can have at the same time. Do official wives 1-4 have equal status or is it better to be wife #1 than wife #4?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Akilah's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
What is the difference between an "unofficial wife" and a mistress or concubine? I assume that these unofficial wives are in addition to the 4 wives a Muslim man can have at the same time. Do official wives 1-4 have equal status or is it better to be wife #1 than wife #4?
An unofficial wife is is a women whom a sheikh or prince has married but he has not announced the union. It would be the same as getting married but not announcing in a newspaper or sending formal announcements associates/friends/co-workers.

No, unofficial wives are included in the 4 wives that a Muslim man is allowed to have according to the Quran. All wives are to be treated equally. However, that is not allows the case. For example, Sheikh Mohammad of the UAE has acknowledged Shiekha Hind and Princess Haya, but he has not acknowledged the union he had with Maitha and Christina's mother.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 140
I respect the UAE traditions and culture. However, i believe that it is inevitable for the whole world to go through changes and modernization and UAE not be affected by it. Wether the UAE people like it or not change will come. I have emirate friends and i was actually speaking to one of my friends and she said that emirate people are actually changing their views on having multiple wives. Especially with this economy, everyone i mean literally the whole world has been affected by it and we all know that the bigger your family is the more $ you spend. I believe that things are changing even if its slowly but things are changing in the UAE society. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay the same with all respect to my emirate brothers and sisters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 AM
Imanmajed's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
I respect the UAE traditions and culture. However, i believe that it is inevitable for the whole world to go through changes and modernization and UAE not be affected by it. Wether the UAE people like it or not change will come. I have emirate friends and i was actually speaking to one of my friends and she said that emirate people are actually changing their views on having multiple wives. Especially with this economy, everyone i mean literally the whole world has been affected by it and we all know that the bigger your family is the more $ you spend. I believe that things are changing even if its slowly but things are changing in the UAE society. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay the same with all respect to my emirate brothers and sisters.
Thank you for your openness my european sister. Of course, our society is changing steadily in the UAE as well as all forms of society constantly changing in the world. Society is not static. Many Sheikhs have more than one wife at the same time. But the normal local in more than 80% of cases have only one wife. There is nothing so that all Emirati men have two, three or four wives. The possibility of several women comes from the Quran. But there is this from the religion of clear rules, under which circumstances this is possible. One of them is that they all women in the same way has to supply. This means you must have, of course, a good financial status. It therefore does not change the tradition - you have the opportunity to marry several women continue- but only the financial situation of individuals prevented such multible marriage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Isotta's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newport, United States
Posts: 26
My husband once observed, "In the West we are polygamous, too, only we have one spouse at a time, get rid of them and take another. So we practice serial polygamy."
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruling Family of Kuwait: Al Sabah dynasty La la Royal and Ruling Families of the Gulf States 313 09-09-2014 03:07 PM
Ruling Family of Fujairah: Al Sharqi dynasty Warren Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates 64 06-07-2014 02:36 PM
Ruling Family of Ajman: Al Nuaimi dynasty Warren Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates 120 06-04-2014 01:29 PM
JRF marriage customs iowabelle Royal House of Jordan 41 10-20-2012 03:42 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games olympics ottoman poland prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]