Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Aristocracy

hello,
no they dont :)
and both shiekha and latifah did not wear crowns on thier weddings

Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

How come? Aren't they royals? Every royal house has a crown jewel. And yet sheikh Mohammed is richer than some of those European royals. That's puzzling...:ohmy

Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

It`s another tradtion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_GiRL View Post
How come? Aren't they royals? Every royal house has a crown jewel. And yet sheikh Mohammed is richer than some of those European royals. That's puzzling...:ohmy
The ruling families have no aristocratic tradition as in Europe. They are the leaders of their tribes and in modern times, the leadership of the Emirates. So they are no kings or nobles, but have within their tribal traditions a special rank. They lead to old tribal traditions continued success in the modern era for the benefit of the people. Therefore, there is no crown jewels and crowns for all sheikhs and sheikhas.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Like in Kuwait do you know that if the mother is non Kuwaity or the wife is non Kuwaity they can never Rule Kuwait even if it was their turn
[quote from the P Haya marriage thread]

This got me thinking if this applies in Dubai as well on an official and even unofficial level... I would understand not allowing a child born of the union to be accepted as the next Crown Prince or Emir, but can one really be disqualified simple for marrying a foreigner? I wonder if Princess Haya's marriage to Sheikh Mohammed has left such a bad taste in the mouthes of Emiratis that it would be difficult for his sons to mary foreign women. I wonder if CP Hamdan would be able to marry a European royal and whether or not she would be accepted in Dubai - by the people and by his family, or if it would result in him losing credibility in his family and the other royal families of the UAE. It seems that the monarchical system and society are very much based on tribal tradition, so I wonder if any major shake ups might spell the end of the Al-Maktoum dynasty (unless Saudi Arabia intervened as was the case in Bahrain). Any UAE comments from UAE or Gulf nationals and residents?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Serene Highness

I do not really know on what's your point .... If HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum has also married non-emirati women, I am convinced that he sees no problem in that his sons do so. The UAE society is deeply rooted in their traditions and I like that. But still, has changed in the last 40 years a lot and it will change much more with the younger generation of leaders. The Emirates is not a traditional dynasty nor a kingdom. As long as the leader the benefit of the people in their country at heart, so long as the old traditions will continue.I'm sure any decent girl is welcomed into the family of al Maktoum as the wife of Crown Prince Hamdan or one of the other sons. But the question is rather, which girl from outside the Arab world is willing to engage with the traditions of the UAE and to respect them? Every marriage in higher circles also means to be willing to let a big piece of the usual life behind and to the personal freedom behind the interests of a state.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Gentry

You sound out this question just in place, Imammajed. As I have always stated and mentioned before we cannot predict in which woman he is going to fall in love.
I am sure it must be a woman who values the traditions of the Emiratis and is somehow captivated by that magic which spring from the whole Arab world.
A woman who is ready for everything to fight for his Prince.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Serene Highness

Finding a woman who is willing to fight for the prince is not easy to find. It's about loving the other respectfully - as a person - and not just the position in society, which takes that person.

I'm sure a lot of women would marry him on the spot. But I'm sure too there will be hardly any among them who would sacrifice themselves for him as a person not for the prince-status only.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

A few posts have been deleted for being off topic.
Further off topic posts will be delete without a notice.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
The idea of a Sheikh marrying a Sheikha comes from that the traditions of in the UAE where people marry their cousins till this day. Its not a must but it happens in a lot of families but general speaking there is no such thing as a requirement of a Sheikh to marry a Sheikha.
Tradition? Didn't Shiekh Zayed make this a law back in the 1970's? It's part of a decree written therefore, it's a law not a tradition. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGirl View Post
Tradition? Didn't Shiekh Zayed make this a law back in the 1970's? It's part of a decree written therefore, it's a law not a tradition. Thanks.
Thats not true! The UAE was founded at 02 December 1971. How can Sheikh Zayed as early as 1970, have passed a law for all of the seven Emirates that stipulates that a Sheikh must married a Sheikha or/and not a Sheikha only? There is no law that determines who marries a Sheikh. In the history of the UAE - even before the founding of the state - were married traditionally a way of connecting between tribes or tribal strengthening existing relationships. It's definitely a tradition not a law.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Aristocracy

it is not a law, it is like Imanmajed said only a tradition.
and Shiekh Zayed was married to a non shiekha and alot of his sons are married to non shiekhas.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Commoner

Lady blue - are you sure? The tradition would be marriage to a cousin. I'm aware many Shiekhs' are married to non-Shiekha's. Thanks for your answer but it doesn't answer the question.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
So, are you suggesting that Sheikh Zayed and a lot of his sons have broken UAE laws by marrying non-Sheikhas?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Commoner

Apparently, it's easier to argue rather than have discussions. Here's the history..I've read that Shiekh Zayed wrote a law into place requiring Shiekhs' to marry Shiekhas'. The basis of the law was bec he noticed a lot of Shiekh's were marrying non-Shiekha and it was unfair since a Shiekha can only marry a Shiekh. When this took place...I believe the 70's rather he was just a Ruler or then Ruler & President.

Now, can we "discuss" not "argue"? Geesh...it's easier for some of you to be right rather than talk. It is a blog...or am I wrong about that?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGirl
...I've read that Shiekh Zayed wrote a law into place requiring Shiekhs' to marry Shiekhas'
Perhaps your source was incorrect, perhaps you misinterpreted what was stated, perhaps it's a faulty recollection of what you read.
Otherwise, can you provide a source?

Before this get's too out of hand (only one offensive message deleted so far), let's summarise...

dazzling (UAE) - tradition
Imanmajed (UAE) - tradition
lady blue (Bahrain) - tradition

USGirl (USA) - law

>. I'll leave it up to members to draw their own conclusions.

Quote:
It is a blog...or am I wrong about that? .
TRF is not a blog; strictly speaking it is a forum or discussion board.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I do not really know on what's your point .... If HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum has also married non-emirati women, I am convinced that he sees no problem in that his sons do so. The UAE society is deeply rooted in their traditions and I like that. But still, has changed in the last 40 years a lot and it will change much more with the younger generation of leaders. The Emirates is not a traditional dynasty nor a kingdom. As long as the leader the benefit of the people in their country at heart, so long as the old traditions will continue.I'm sure any decent girl is welcomed into the family of al Maktoum as the wife of Crown Prince Hamdan or one of the other sons. But the question is rather, which girl from outside the Arab world is willing to engage with the traditions of the UAE and to respect them? Every marriage in higher circles also means to be willing to let a big piece of the usual life behind and to the personal freedom behind the interests of a state.
My point is, is it practical considering the political turbulance in the Arab world, P Haya's marriage to Sheikh Mohammed and the reaction to it for any of Sheikh Mo's sons to marry a non-Emirati, non-Arab or non-Muslim and it was known to the public. I also wonder if this applies in the Maktoum family officially or unofficially:

Quote:
Like in Kuwait do you know that if the mother is non Kuwaity or the wife is non Kuwaity they can never Rule Kuwait even if it was their turn
I hope Sheikh mo's sons marry women who will be seen and photographed in public.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Commoner

For what it's worth, I never heard of Shaikh Zayed requiring Sheiks to marry only Shaikhas. He did encourage (not require only encouraged) Emiratis to marry Emiratis; and it is difficult to acquire Emirati citizenship to this day. I do believe that Zayed wanted to champion the continuation of Emirates' customs and tradition in the modern world he helped create. Correct me if I am wrong here (but my spell check has also corrected things to the point where I am not certain of which is right, so please don't bother with that).
Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Lady blue - are you sure? The tradition would be marriage to a cousin. I'm aware many Shiekhs' are married to non-Shiekha's. Thanks for your answer but it doesn't answer the question.
Then I have a question for you: What is your question exactly?
Did you want to ask anything or make a statement?
Why you can`t understand that for your question (?) or assertion (?) is no law that force a Sheikh in a prescribed marriage?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Apparently, it's easier to argue rather than have discussions. Here's the history..I've read that Shiekh Zayed wrote a law into place requiring Shiekhs' to marry Shiekhas'. The basis of the law was bec he noticed a lot of Shiekh's were marrying non-Shiekha and it was unfair since a Shiekha can only marry a Shiekh. When this took place...I believe the 70's rather he was just a Ruler or then Ruler & President.

Now, can we "discuss" not "argue"? Geesh...it's easier for some of you to be right rather than talk. It is a blog...or am I wrong about that?
If you set up a claim, we deny the obvious, then where will come a discussion? A Sheikha can also marry a person who is not a Sheikh. The question is whether the Sheikha would want to marry a non Sheikh?
There have been recommendations to marry a Sheikha in modern times. Since there is a difference of a law. For a long time were ALL Emirati women to marry only a Emirati man. Today, women from the UAE getting married men from other GCC states. Starting this year their children will have the opportunity to be then Emirati nationals. Previously this was only possible if the father was an Emirati.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotta
For what it's worth, I never heard of Shaikh Zayed requiring Sheiks to marry only Shaikhas. He did encourage (not require only encouraged) Emiratis to marry Emiratis; and it is difficult to acquire Emirati citizenship to this day. I do believe that Zayed wanted to champion the continuation of Emirates' customs and tradition in the modern world he helped create. Correct me if I am wrong here (but my spell check has also corrected things to the point where I am not certain of which is right, so please don't bother with that).
Isotta - I believe it's a Shiekha not all Shiekha. Still can't find this document. Don't know if it's in his autobiography, however, it's clearly his earlier work. He did rule several years prior to becoming President. Unfortunately, this question is taking an "inappropriate turn" so I'm going to leave it. When I find it, I'll be sure to post.

By the way, only a childish person will worry about your spelling...I understood every word. Thanks.