Marriage Customs of the Ruling Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turkish Delight

Heir Apparent
City
Istanbul
Country
Turkey
well as far as i kno tht sh.manal is also loved coz shezz sh.mohammeds first daughter and + sh.manal is in the orgnization with.sh.fatima bnt mubarak..the mother of emarates..i mean they work like togather in the women thngy!!

You are right!;) People love Sheikha Manal but they PREFER to Sheikha Alia.;)

We've already had to make warnings in the past against members repeating second-hand "information" regarding the marriages of Sheikh Muhammad's children.
Unless you can back up your claims with credible published reports, please refrain from repeating gossip you may have heard from family and friends or read on other forums.
Further posts peddling such rumours will be deleted without notice.

UAE Forum Moderating Team

Hello Royal Friend.I thought your this comment very much and I am complicated about somethings.Sorry for answering late but I had to think.

Actually, this is something which I believe can be discussed here. In the early days of the UAE (70s and 80s), back when Sharjah was actually the "hot" city, not Dubai, many of the Sheikhs took non Emirati wives.

I don't know if Sharjah was hot city before in 70s and 80s.Which Sheiks took non-Emirati wifes?See that Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid is married to his cousin Sheikha Roda.Do you mean that like Sheikh Mohammed?His first wife was Manal's mother.

Over the past ten years, promulgated by Sheikh Zayed himself, there has been a push for Emiratis to marry Emiratis. This has been published from time to time in the news papers, both Arabic and English.

He has a point in that because Emirates has still not a big population but I think Emiratis people have to marry with a love ,not without love.(Like now)

In many cases, the Emirates, due to the small size of it's national population, is a country in which the people follow what they see within the ruling families. So, in today's world, it will be very difficult for a prominent sheikh or even businessman, to take for his first wife someone who is not Emirati.

What did ruling families do?You mean firstly marry with non-Emirati wifes?
I don't understand if they want to big population ,firstly they have to accept to marry with a love and not to marry with non-Emirati wifes.Why did they marry with non-Emirati wifes if they want a big population?

And when an individual is from a ruling family, arranged, or family decided, marriages are still the norm. These days, this is done mainly to strengthen ties between the families.
How could it be?This is very complicated.Sheikh Zayed just wanted Emiratis marry to Emiratis.Did he want to marry cousin from all Emiratis?Did Emirati people misunderstand this?and in my country families want to be their children's happiness.In Emirates how people can be happy?If you are not happy how your parents feel?Is is a bad destiny?

I am sorry for all Emiratis.
Hamdan's first wife will be from the UAE but if he doesn't accept this what will be?

Last edited:
Hello Royal Friend.I thought your this comment very much and I am complicated about somethings.Sorry for answering late but I had to think.

How could it be?This is very complicated.Sheikh Zayed just wanted Emiratis marry to Emiratis.Did he want to marry cousin from all Emiratis?Did Emirati people misunderstand this?and in my country families want to be their children's happiness.In Emirates how people can be happy?If you are not happy how your parents feel?Is is a bad destiny?

I am sorry for all Emiratis.
Hamdan's first wife will be from the UAE but if he doesn't accept this what will be?
I'm not sure I understand all your questions but I will try to answer the best I can.

With regard to the first around many Sheikhs taking non Emirati wives back in the "early days". Don't forget we are not just talking about the dominent and sheikhs in the press today but the hundreds of sheikhs across the whole of the country. And in this matter, one must also include the very prominent men in the various Emirates who are not Sheikhs. So relatively speaking, a large population compared to the remaining National population in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s when the UAE was becoming the country it is today.

There are many in across the region, not just the UAE, who marry for love as the West sees "love", but family arranged marriages are still very common. Especially amongst the prominent. Heck, with Western divorce rates at such high levels, who's to say some family "influence" isn't the way to go?

You missed my point in the third paragraph. My point is that the Emirati population is relatively small (~20% of total UAE population) at around 1m. It wasn't many years ago it was 400,000. Anyway, my point was that Emiratis emulate their leaders in many ways, partially due to their respect of them. Thus, if the leaders tend to marry other Emiratis, the masses will follow.

Finally, in many parts of the world where the family comes first, making the family happy is what makes the individual happy. I was just talking with a good friend of mine who is distantly part of the ruling family. His father has just died and thus he must take over as head of household. And now extreme pressure to marry quickly and with someone approved by the rest of the family.

Not all Emiratis of course follow the above and everyone can find exceptions. But I'm speaking of norms, especially over time.

Hope this helps.

RF

if hamdan or rashid married any lady from the public and she is 100% emiraty she still can be first lady and an official wife !!

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is Sheikha?are they engaged?

she is 15 yes they r enggaged

isn't she little?

Don't misunderstand me dubai-girl but isn't she little for engagement?:eek:Just 15 years old.:eek:

no she is not
but if she is okay with it
its fine her father wont say yes only when he knows that he is one of a kind

(she was enggaged since she was 12)

no she is not
but if she is okay with it
its fine her father wont say yes only when he knows that he is one of a kind

(she was enggaged since she was 12)

Since 12....:wacko:
Sorry dubai-girl but I think she is very little for this.I am respectful to the culture but she is very very little.:sad:
Because in my country and lots of country in the world allowing to get married at the age of 18 and also in my country people prefer to marry at the age of 24.;)
So, I am surprised when I heard this.:shock:
Sorry ,but she is really very little in my opinion.:sad:

Her father had to say that ''You are very little for engagement,you have to wait'' I think.:thistle:

I really love all Dubai Royals,but I am sorry for lots of girls...:verysad:

NO she is just engagged

no the uae u r not allowed to get married before 18 (i think that is true)

she not getting married only after she finishes her studying

NO she is just engagged

no the uae u r not allowed to get married before 18 (i think that is true)

she not getting married only after she finishes her studying

Of course she will marry after she finishes her studying but I meant engagement is also NOT good.They can be darling if Dubai culture accept this.Engagement is really different thing.

Now I have questions.
1-Why aren't they prefer to being darling?
2-Doesn't the culture accept this?
3-Is Nasser married?
4-Does Sheikha love him?
5-What did the family of Nasser say about engagement?
6-Didn't Sheikha think that 'Engagement is different,why aren't we being just as a darling '?
7-How old is Nasser?
8-Did Sheikha want to marry?
9-If Sheikha doesn't want to marry in future what will be?

If she is ready for engagement she had to think everything.But I think she is little and didn't think anything.

isnt shk nasser from bahrain? maybe i have him confused w someone else. i would think shk mo would want his daughter to marry from UAE.

isnt shk nasser from bahrain? maybe i have him confused w someone else. i would think shk mo would want his daughter to marry from UAE.

Sheikh Nasser is from Bahrain.If Sheikh is from the one of gulf countries,Mo can accept.But only gulf countries.;)

Please,can anyone answer my questions?dubai-girl where are you?

question

1-Why aren't they prefer to being darling? cause its not accepted in our culture
2-Doesn't the culture accept this? it answered it on the top
3-Is Nasser married? no
4-Does Sheikha love him? yes I think
5-What did the family of Nasser say about engagement? they said no first cause they were both small then he said he wont study aboard only if he is goin to get engagged to her
6-Didn't Sheikha think that 'Engagement is different,why aren't we being just as a darling '? cause its not right in the UAE and even if they r engagged they cant see each other alot
7-How old is Nasser? early 20s
8-Did Sheikha want to marry?she it was okay but not only after she finishs studying
9-If Sheikha doesn't want to marry in future what will be? no she wont say that cause she will grow with the idea that she is going marry nasser

turkish delight..
tradition in the gulf is in our blood+ sheikha accepted nasser..her parents did not forced her..
in Islam the gurl cannot just be a darling without getting engaged or married..
I think sheikha derserves nasser and whats the problem if they get engaged now or later..its the same..
so from our side..mabrook to sheikha n nasser and inshallah soon they get married:)

yes shk nasser is from bahrain

and no shk mohammed has no reason to not let his daughter marry from the UAE shka manals married shk mansoor and he is from the UAE

In olden days many ladies used to marry at early age..
but here sheikha is only engaged...they both love each other..
Islam does not accept darling and bf n gf stuffs coz its not ryt

my best wishes to the future husband n wife:p

hi this is my first post
i was just wondering if the maktoum men have to have more than 1 wife

hello and welcome to the forum
No it is not necessary tht the Maktoum men have to have more than one wife...
Sheikh Rashid <<Mohammed's father>> married to onlii one..he did not hav multiple wives:)

:in_love: Now Rashid is no longer candidate for CP, do you think he is free to marry outside the Maktoums or Nahyan family?

:doh: A girl from a decent Arab family I mean ofcourse ! Not just a common girl.

No bettina.He is not free.He has to marry a Sheikha from the Uae.Also Sheikha can be from another gulf countries.(Bahrain,Qatar etc...)

We can think 2 things.
1-Lots of times Sheikhs marry Sheikhas from the UAE.Emiratis people accept who is %100 EMIRATI as a first lady or another role.
See that they don't accept P.Haya.They love only and only Sheikha Hind.:wub:

2-Sheikha Sheikha bint Mohammed(Mo's daughter)is engaged to Sheikh Nasser of Bahrain.
I can see that Sheikha can be from another gulf country and she can maybe accept,because gulf people accept themselves.If they thought marry multiple, who is %100 Emirati people accept her.But I really do NOT think that Rashid will marry multiple and he will marry with felling in love like the others.;)

Now I have a question.
I really wonder what Sheikhas wear during the wedding?I mean are they wearing wedding dress?How is the dress?Wearing like European Princesses or another?What is the culture about wearing?

well in the gulf, in our wedding's we wear gowns,dresses...
the sheikhas in the gulf too wear gowns n dresses..
we were open in weddings coz only ladies
but wen the groom comes they make an announcement and all cover up

I could really imagine that Rashid (now that he's no longer in discussion for CP) marry somebody NOT from Emirati. As we know that he has long time relationships to non-emirati woman and he has a strong personality which makes it even more suggestable. (thats my opinion- no offfend)

my guess is that he isnt going to marry anyone anytime soon.......

my guess is that he isnt going to marry anyone anytime soon.......
Sheikh Mohammed got married for the first time when he was 29 years old to his first cousin..So the Emir isnt in a hurry to marry off his elder sons Rashid and Hamdan--they are just 25 and 26 years old..Maybe Sheikh Mo wants his sons to be bachelor for a little while and focus on sports and politics first..Just my guess..but it depends also on his sons--if they want to settle down sooner..

I could really imagine that Rashid (now that he's no longer in discussion for CP) marry somebody NOT from Emirati. As we know that he has long time relationships to non-emirati woman and he has a strong personality which makes it even more suggestable. (thats my opinion- no offfend)

Do you think the Maktoum boys would be allowed to have longtime relationships with anyone outside of marriage. I mean, islam doesn't approve obviously but would Hind know and think it's fine/inevitable as long as it is discreet? Would such girl be invited for tea with the Maktoums? What kind of girls would this be ?

Do you think the Maktoum family can accept a new member if that person is not an Emirati? For example, if the nephews or nieces of Sheikh Mohammed wants to marry someone who is not an Emirati, but they convert to Islam, will that be accepted?

Back
Top Bottom