HH Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid, Ruler of Dubai (1943 - 4 Jan 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorja Fox

Gentry
City
AD
Country
United Arab Emirates
Death of Sheikh Maktoum

His Highness Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid died this morning, nobody knows the reason, it's a major shock.....
condolesto the Maktoum family.....:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sad for this news , I opend the TV today and I saw his pic with the sound of Quran and I was shocked , but every one will die some day so I will just pray for him ( Alllah yarhama ) .

Haven't heard from you in awhile Jorja Fox. I just read about it.

Now Cheikh Mohamed has become New ruler of Dubai.

Dubai ruler Sheik Maktoum dead at 62
Emir's brother, a well-known businessman, to succeed him.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- The emir of Dubai, Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, died Wednesday while visiting Australia, the president's office said.
The emir, 62, was a vice president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates and ruler of Dubai.
He is expected to be succeeded by his younger brother, the crown prince of Dubai, Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Emirates' defense minister and a high-flying businessman and breeder of horses.
"The United Arab Emirates today lost a historical leader who devoted his life to establishing the United Arab Emirates and enhancing its structure and the welfare of its people," the Emirates government said in a statement.
Dubai TV interrupted its programs to show a picture of the sheik smiling and the voice of a Muslim cleric reading verses of the Quran, Islam's holy book.
In Australia, Queensland Police spokeswoman Chelsea Roffey said Sheik Maktoum died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in Queensland state. He arrived in Australia on December 28.
His body was expected to be flown back home later Wednesday. A spokesman for Brisbane airport, Jim Carden, said the shiekh's private Boeing 747-400 was ready for the trip.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/04/dubai.death.ap/

Attachments

• story.dubai.emir.jp.jpg
    story.dubai.emir.jp.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 2,168
God rest his sole
i hope hamdan and rashid are ok..

sudden death is really hard!

walla i'm still shocked:confused:

Polfoto 04-01-2006 The Boeing 747 of Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum sits idle at the International Airport in Brisbane, Australia, on Wednesday, Jan 4, 2006. Sheik Maktoum died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in Queensland state, his body will be returned back to the Emirates rapidly to observe the burial requirements.

Attachments

• AP533703_guest.jpg
    AP533703_guest.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,341
It was a shock to all of us... his death(due to a sudden heart attack) was unexpected may his soul rest in peace....

His funeral will take place on Thursday morning at Umm Hurair cemetery in Bur Dubai, according to www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae.

The ceremony will be held after his body arrives back from Australia. The funeral prayer will be read at the Zabeel mosque in Dubai at 10am.

Last edited:
A new ruler in Dubai

Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and the Emir of Dubai has died. He will be replaced as ruler of Dubai by his brother Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum. The family, including two other brothers: Sheikh Hamdan and Sheikh Ahmed have been responsible for building up Dubai both as a business and a sporting centre.
Sheikh Mohammed, the new ruler, is considered to be the major force in the development and is credited with projects such as The Palm, a $4 billion development reclaimed from the sea; the Burj Al Arab hotel and as the man behind the Dubai World Cup, the world's richest horse race. His son Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum ius the man who is behind the development of the Dubai Autodrome.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16080.html

Last edited:
well... this is really unexpected right?

another article from AP via yahoo :

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060104/ap_on_re_mi_ea/obit_dubai_emir

Ruler of Dubai Dies While in Australia

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The emir of Dubai, Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, died Wednesday during a visit to Australia. He was 62.
Sheik Maktoum, who also was vice president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in eastern Queensland state, Queensland police spokeswoman Chelsea Roffey said.
The emir, a horse racing aficionado, arrived in Australia on Dec. 28, apparently for a world-renowned yearling sale known as the Magic Millions.
Authorities in Dubai would not give a cause of death. Australian police would only say the emir did not die of suspicious causes.

Last edited:
my sincere condolences and sympathy for Sheik Maktoum
may he rest in peace

houri said:
I feel sad for this news , I opend the TV today and I saw his pic with the sound of Quran and I was shocked , but every one will die some day so I will just pray for him ( Alllah yarhama ) .

The idea of someone's death is upsetting even if I disagree with the person, as a matter of a fact, the death of a one whom he embodies almost everything you resent in life (lack of democracy,impose blind loyalty...etc) could be far more upsetting than the death of someone you admire as it leads you to think of what he had done and the amount of good deed in his work.
I know we all will die someday. The most common saying I heard today was "it's his day" ( a common saying in our dialect), however, it's shocking because people still didn't over come the death of shk. Zayed and it's hard to loose another governor in such a short period. Emaraties are still adjusting with the fact that shk. Khalifa is the President, not skh. Zayed.
Though when skh. Rashid died years ago I was seven, I grew up with the fact that skh. Maktoum is the governor of Dubai, so again, it will be difficult to cope up with the fact that skh. Mohd. is the new governor of Dubai, sometimes people call him Crown Prince without pronouncing his name, we just got used to it.
Also, so many people "anticipated" that another skh. will pass away which is plain rude, as the skh( I will pass his name) is the oldest of all the sheikhs.
The situation here is critical, our lives have been "paused" and everything is postponed. Though most of the schools had finished the exams, universities and colleges didn't, school teachers who were busy in checking the papers aren't allowed to go to school and their vacation will be delayed. DSF is about to start, wonder how Dubai will deal with it during the mourning and most importantly, Eid al Adha is approaching, there will be no official celebration.

Last edited:
sommone said:
Haven't heard from you in awhile Jorja Fox. I just read about it.
Thanks for recalling me :eek: , I have been busy here and there and I faced difficulties with a rude member which made me choose to step out for a while, though logging here today made me feel good! I will try to be as active as possible. I can see some changes were made, I loved the new banner!
May ask where did you read about the news? Here in TRF or somewhere else? Is the western media concerned/interested with the death of Maktoum? I wouldn't think so.....

My sincere condolences to Sheikh Maktoum’s family, may his soul and body rest in peace .

Last edited:
I've just heard the news. May his soul rest in peace. MY sincere condolences to his family and the people of Dubai

Jorja Fox said:
Thanks for recalling me :eek: , I have been busy here and there and I faced difficulties with a rude member which made me choose to step out for a while, though logging here today made me feel good! I will try to be as active as possible. I can see some changes were made, I loved the new banner!
May ask where did you read about the news? Here in TRF or somewhere else? Is the western media concerned/interested with the death of Maktoum? I wouldn't think so.....

Actually Jorja, I read it first at another site. Then I came here to see if anyone else had written about it. My condolences. Well, it's good to see you posting again. I wonder where you had gone to.

Respect

This is a sad occasion People should respect the dead or at list the deceased family. After all he was a father, husband, and brother of someone, the Positions and titles will came and go but individuals makes people.

Lexrex said:
My sincere condolences to Sheikh Maktoum’s family. may his soul and body rest in peace .
Ramin Etezad

I just wanted to echo these senitments, and I'll quote you in doing so, Lexrex, as you did it far more eloquently than I could.

Jorja Fox said:
Is the western media concerned/interested with the death of Maktoum? I wouldn't think so.....

Actually the Australian media is very interested in it, probably because it happened here. I'm glad they have been giving the situation decent coverage. The news has been on all the major news programs and has also been getting significant coverage in newspapers.

I feel very sad for the people of the UAE especially Dubai.

From news.com.au (originally published in The Australian newspaper)

Emirates PM dies on the Gold Coast

By Greg Roberts
January 05, 2006

ONE of the world's richest men and highest-profile Arab rulers has died on the Gold Coast.

United Arab Emirates Prime Minister Maktoum bin Rashid al-Maktoum - whose family fortune of $US10 billion ($13.6 billion) ranks it 35 on the list of the world's richest people - died in the Gold Coast hospital yesterday after suffering a heart attack.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17731500-421,00.html

Last edited:
From National Nine News, ninemsn.com.au

Dubai ruler dies on Gold Coast

Thursday Jan 5 07:10 AEDT

The ruler of Dubai, United Arab Emirates Deputy President Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashed al-Maktoum, died on Wednesday on Queensland's Gold Coast.

The UAE's official WAM news agency confirmed his death in Australia.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=79926

There is also a link to a video of the story on the webpage.

From National Nine News, ninemsn.com.au

Brains behind Dubai becomes ruler

Thursday Jan 5 05:57 AEDT

The man who transformed Dubai from a dusty Gulf city into a glitzy metropolis took over as ruler of the booming emirate, succeeding his elder brother who died in Australia.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=79856

My condolences to his family and Dubai. May he rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom