The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates > Ruling Family of Dubai

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2006, 02:52 AM
Gentry

Unhappy HH Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid, Ruler of Dubai (1943 - 4 Jan 2006)

Death of Sheikh Maktoum

His Highness Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid died this morning, nobody knows the reason, it's a major shock.....
condolesto the Maktoum family.....:(

Old 01-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Courtier

I feel sad for this news , I opend the TV today and I saw his pic with the sound of Quran and I was shocked , but every one will die some day so I will just pray for him ( Alllah yarhama ) .

Old 01-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Courtier

Haven't heard from you in awhile Jorja Fox. I just read about it.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Courtier

I heard in the news that he died in Australia .
Old 01-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Nobility

Now Cheikh Mohamed has become New ruler of Dubai.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Dubai ruler Sheik Maktoum dead at 62
Emir's brother, a well-known businessman, to succeed him.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- The emir of Dubai, Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, died Wednesday while visiting Australia, the president's office said.
The emir, 62, was a vice president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates and ruler of Dubai.
He is expected to be succeeded by his younger brother, the crown prince of Dubai, Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Emirates' defense minister and a high-flying businessman and breeder of horses.
"The United Arab Emirates today lost a historical leader who devoted his life to establishing the United Arab Emirates and enhancing its structure and the welfare of its people," the Emirates government said in a statement.
Dubai TV interrupted its programs to show a picture of the sheik smiling and the voice of a Muslim cleric reading verses of the Quran, Islam's holy book.
In Australia, Queensland Police spokeswoman Chelsea Roffey said Sheik Maktoum died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in Queensland state. He arrived in Australia on December 28.
His body was expected to be flown back home later Wednesday. A spokesman for Brisbane airport, Jim Carden, said the shiekh's private Boeing 747-400 was ready for the trip.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ubai.death.ap/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	story.dubai.emir.jp.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	222852  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Courtier

I'm soooo shocked!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 AM

God rest his sole
i hope hamdan and rashid are ok..

sudden death is really hard!

walla i'm still shocked
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Polfoto 04-01-2006 The Boeing 747 of Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum sits idle at the International Airport in Brisbane, Australia, on Wednesday, Jan 4, 2006. Sheik Maktoum died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in Queensland state, his body will be returned back to the Emirates rapidly to observe the burial requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP533703_guest.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	222882  
Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 AM

It was a shock to all of us... his death(due to a sudden heart attack) was unexpected may his soul rest in peace....
Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

His funeral will take place on Thursday morning at Umm Hurair cemetery in Bur Dubai, according to www.sheikhmohammed.co.ae.

The ceremony will be held after his body arrives back from Australia. The funeral prayer will be read at the Zabeel mosque in Dubai at 10am.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Aristocracy

Is his brother teh one married to Haya of Jordan?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

A new ruler in Dubai

Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and the Emir of Dubai has died. He will be replaced as ruler of Dubai by his brother Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum. The family, including two other brothers: Sheikh Hamdan and Sheikh Ahmed have been responsible for building up Dubai both as a business and a sporting centre.
Sheikh Mohammed, the new ruler, is considered to be the major force in the development and is credited with projects such as The Palm, a $4 billion development reclaimed from the sea; the Burj Al Arab hotel and as the man behind the Dubai World Cup, the world's richest horse race. His son Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum ius the man who is behind the development of the Dubai Autodrome.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16080.html
Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

well... this is really unexpected right?

another article from AP via yahoo :

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060104/...bit_dubai_emir

Ruler of Dubai Dies While in Australia

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The emir of Dubai, Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, died Wednesday during a visit to Australia. He was 62.
Sheik Maktoum, who also was vice president and prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, died at the exclusive Palazzo Versace hotel on the Gold Coast, a resort in eastern Queensland state, Queensland police spokeswoman Chelsea Roffey said.
The emir, a horse racing aficionado, arrived in Australia on Dec. 28, apparently for a world-renowned yearling sale known as the Magic Millions.
Authorities in Dubai would not give a cause of death. Australian police would only say the emir did not die of suspicious causes.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Serene Highness

my sincere condolences and sympathy for Sheik Maktoum
may he rest in peace
Old 01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri
I feel sad for this news , I opend the TV today and I saw his pic with the sound of Quran and I was shocked , but every one will die some day so I will just pray for him ( Alllah yarhama ) .
The idea of someone's death is upsetting even if I disagree with the person, as a matter of a fact, the death of a one whom he embodies almost everything you resent in life (lack of democracy,impose blind loyalty...etc) could be far more upsetting than the death of someone you admire as it leads you to think of what he had done and the amount of good deed in his work.
I know we all will die someday. The most common saying I heard today was "it's his day" ( a common saying in our dialect), however, it's shocking because people still didn't over come the death of shk. Zayed and it's hard to loose another governor in such a short period. Emaraties are still adjusting with the fact that shk. Khalifa is the President, not skh. Zayed.
Though when skh. Rashid died years ago I was seven, I grew up with the fact that skh. Maktoum is the governor of Dubai, so again, it will be difficult to cope up with the fact that skh. Mohd. is the new governor of Dubai, sometimes people call him Crown Prince without pronouncing his name, we just got used to it.
Also, so many people "anticipated" that another skh. will pass away which is plain rude, as the skh( I will pass his name) is the oldest of all the sheikhs.
The situation here is critical, our lives have been "paused" and everything is postponed. Though most of the schools had finished the exams, universities and colleges didn't, school teachers who were busy in checking the papers aren't allowed to go to school and their vacation will be delayed. DSF is about to start, wonder how Dubai will deal with it during the mourning and most importantly, Eid al Adha is approaching, there will be no official celebration.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommone
Haven't heard from you in awhile Jorja Fox. I just read about it.
Thanks for recalling me :o , I have been busy here and there and I faced difficulties with a rude member which made me choose to step out for a while, though logging here today made me feel good! I will try to be as active as possible. I can see some changes were made, I loved the new banner!
May ask where did you read about the news? Here in TRF or somewhere else? Is the western media concerned/interested with the death of Maktoum? I wouldn't think so.....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Commoner

My sincere condolences to Sheikh Maktoumís family, may his soul and body rest in peace .

Old 01-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Gentry

I've just heard the news. May his soul rest in peace. MY sincere condolences to his family and the people of Dubai
Old 01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorja Fox
Thanks for recalling me :o , I have been busy here and there and I faced difficulties with a rude member which made me choose to step out for a while, though logging here today made me feel good! I will try to be as active as possible. I can see some changes were made, I loved the new banner!
May ask where did you read about the news? Here in TRF or somewhere else? Is the western media concerned/interested with the death of Maktoum? I wouldn't think so.....

Actually Jorja, I read it first at another site. Then I came here to see if anyone else had written about it. My condolences. Well, it's good to see you posting again. I wonder where you had gone to.