Future of Sheikh Hamdan as administrator

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vkrish

Courtier
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
Prince Hamdan has been regularly appearing at public events and carrying out engagements. But it is not enough as he is not some European CP who will have to just sit tight when his reign stats. He will be the actual ruler. And it is very risky, especially these Arab rulers always have the threat of revolts.
So how far do you think Prince Hamdan has come in moulding himself as the future ruler? What is the public perception of him?( I mean as a future ruler..not that he is gorgeous or gud at poetry and adventures and all). Did he identify any of his 'priorities'..like his father almost single-handedly concentrated on infrastructure and tourism.
Did Hamdan give any interviews or written any articlesabout his views of administration?
I mean moving beyond that..'attended', 'chaired', 'inaugurated', 'visited', etc..
What do you see in him as the future leader of Dubai and UAE?

As of now it is true Sheikh Hamdan is the CP. But this doesnt mean that when the time for a new leader comes, he will be the Ruler of Dubai. I think we can expect any surprises in the future.

:previous: Oh are there many chances of Hamdan being changed? Since he is the CP, and a son, not a brother/ nephew of the ruler,like Jordan/Saudi I think he may not be changed..

We cant be sure what it is on Sheikh Mo's mind. But he is a wise leader and I know whoever replaces him he will be the right person. King Abdullah also wasnt his father's favourite but in the end he bacame the King of Jordan. That's why I say this because within the Middle Eastern monarchies there are always a lot of unexpected happenings.

Last edited:
I completely agree with everything Maharata has said. Unexpected changes happens, imo quite alot when it comes to monarchies in the Middle East. I would make a safe bet IF for some reason Sheikh Mo changed his mind about who will replace him in the future to rule dubai i could definetely see Maktoum as the next ruler. When it comes to work, i think Maktoum is more by his dad's side than Sheikh Hamdan himself. The only time when you'll not see Sheikh Maktoum by his father's side is when it comes to Horse Racing, and that's where Sheikh Hamdan is all the way in sharing the same passion with his dad. IMO i do think that Sheikh Maktoum works harder than Sheikh Hamdan, and i can explain why. #1. Sheikh hamdan seems to really be dedicating his time to photography lately doing ALOT of travels around the world, #2. Sheikh hamdan seems to also spend ALOT of his time SKYDIVING with his friends.
PS: (just my opinion) As sheikh Hamdan reaches the age of 30 i think he should play less and work more. He needs to buckle up and take life more serious. When you look at Maktoum and Hamdan in a meeting with their dad, one will always find sheikh Maktoum serious and paying attention to what is happening around him and never on his CELL PHONE. When it comes to sheikh hamdan, he's ALWAYS on his cell phone texting, spinning on a chair while his dad is talking, i mean you can see that he rarely takes those meetings serious. Positives of sheikh Hamdan: He is blessed with an amazing charisma that every leader ought to have, he's humble, the locals seem to really like him and look up to him as a future leader (big advantage here), he is definetely a dreamer, He also values sports & a healthy lifestyle. (this is all i can think of). Again, I am saying all of these things "judging by appearances", seeing how each behave in work meetings w/ their dad. I am well aware that "judging by appearances" can actually turn out to be completely wrong. But what we need to have in mind is that at the end of the day only GOD knows who will be fit to be the next ruler of Dubai. ;)

Future ruler of dubai: IF NOT hamdan, definetely Maktoum.

Last edited:
Yes, LV Girls you are right for many thing said. I also observe well the behaviour of the two. But except for charisma, one future leader must have a developed sense of responsibility for the people he is in charge of. Moreover, Sheikh Maktoum is the Dubai Deputy Ruler. But I dont favour making predictions. The good thing is they both are dignified people just like their dad.

Don´t forget, the UAE isn´t a monarchy in the classical sense. That Sheikh Hamdan named CP does not mean that he automatically will be the next ruler of Dubai.

Normally when the succession must be regulated, the members of the ruling family held a meeting in seclusion and then decided who will undertake the next ruler. Sheikh Hamdan can be the one or one of the other sons of Sheikh Mohammed. Very likely Sheikh Maktoum, because he is already Deputy Ruler of Dubai since 1st February 2008. It is also quite possible that a brother, cousin, nephew of Sheikh Mohammed or someone other of the family will be the next ruler. Even if it does not appear at public appearances with his father, Sheikh Hamdan working very hard every day. Even though he recently reached the age of 30 years, that would be not a age for beginning a reign in UAE. It is more likely when he is older - 40/45 years. Until then, he still has time to make his marks in politics, state and economy. Already now Sheikh Hamdan is very popular among the younger generation of Emiratis and it is certain that he has the support of them.

Short: Nothing is decided now.

Last edited:
I think, a short cultural explantation is also necessary. In western countries, especially in Europe, you find cultures with a linear conception of time. It means to organize the activities of a clear time-line and not spontaneously modify the order. In UAE we have a polychronic time understanding. Time is not linear for us, but is considered as a circular concept. This meant that anyone can edit many things and the processing of transactions can jump at the same time. At official meetings or public appearances it is not uncommon for someone busy with other things during a lecture, for example, received calls, replying messages, held a discussion with others to another topic or leaves the room unexpectedly. This is not rudeness but simple component of our cultural behaviors. Fatalism in this context is acceptance with grace. We will make our plans but at the same time we will accept that such plans may founder at the last minute and for the tiniest of reasons which are outside our control. So do you not surprised by other activity going on around you if you meet Emiratis.

I know that some Westerners find this style chaotic. Emiratis feel their use of time is efficient and accomplished by so much activity. On the other hand, the common view of Westerners who give their full attention to one task at a time seem to be a highly inefficient by us. So what you have noticed at Sheikh Hamdans behavior is just a cultural issue and not a lack of interest or seriousness. Simply Sheikh Hamdan uses his time in real terms in sense of our Emirati lifestyle. :flowers:

Do you want to know more about the lifestyle, culture and traditions of the UAE or the Gulf States? Then visit this thread here on TRF: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-social-and-cultural-traditions-32797-50.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fay
Imanmajed said:
. I know that some Westerners find this style chaotic. Emiratis feel their use of time is efficient and accomplished by so much activity. On the other hand, the common view of Westerners who give their full attention to one task at a time seem to be a highly inefficient by us.

When you see Arabian Rulers or Ministers, they have assimilated to "Western" culture. So, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. Sh. MBR is a prime example of an Arabian Ruler who Assimilated a western lifestyle. I find the Al Mak more western than any other UAE family.

I feel this system of unpredictability ( anyone can be appointed CP anyday..) should be changed. One person should be fixed and thoroughly groomed for the job. See by the time kids/brothers reach mid-20s, the ruler can assess which person can handle the job well. He should be groomed so that he can be perfect by the time he reaches his 40s..and take over whenever necessary.

I´m sure, that Sheikh Mohammed prepares all his children well for the future or the possible future tasks. The Al Maktoums are also a family business with a place for all family members and therefore the responsible gets transferred to all of the young Sheikhs. In this sense, the children grow up. They are well prepared, even if they are not named CP.

I´m sure, that Sheikh Mohammed prepares all his children well for the future or the possible future tasks. The Al Maktoums are also a family business with a place for all family members and therefore the responsible gets transferred to all of the young Sheikhs. In this sense, the children grow up. They are well prepared, even if they are not named CP.
I do not agree with you on this, Imanmajed. You simply cannot prepare a bunch of kids (no one knows the real number,right) for c crucial job. A CP should be named and completely focussed on training to become a good administrator.

I do not agree with you on this, Imanmajed. You simply cannot prepare a bunch of kids (no one knows the real number, right) for c crucial job. A CP should be named and completely focussed on training to become a good administrator.

I´m sure, that Sheikh Mohammed knows how many children he has.....This certainty is sufficient for me.

The most parents can prepare all of their kids for the future. You will be find a small number of parents they do not care what happens to their children. The family of al Maktoum is a well-structured family with strong bands between all members and you can be sure, that all kids of Sheikh Mohammed appropriately prepared well for their future responsibilities in the Emirati society from early childhood on.

Finally: Our ruling families in UAE are not royals. They are equals among equals. Our society is a tribal society and based on other rudiments as a western monarchy.

Last edited:
When you see Arabian Rulers or Ministers, they have assimilated to "Western" culture. So, I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. Sh. MBR is a prime example of an Arabian Ruler who Assimilated a western lifestyle. I find the Al Mak more western than any other UAE family.

You have misunderstood me. Even though we live in some points a western lifestyle does not mean that we have outplaced our Emirati traditions and culture or our time management completely. The same goes for HH Sheikh MbR. If you are professionally in the UAE you will be remember it quickly.

Last edited:
I feel this system of unpredictability ( anyone can be appointed CP anyday..) should be changed. One person should be fixed and thoroughly groomed for the job. See by the time kids/brothers reach mid-20s, the ruler can assess which person can handle the job well. He should be groomed so that he can be perfect by the time he reaches his 40s..and take over whenever necessary.

I do not agree with you on this, Imanmajed. You simply cannot prepare a bunch of kids (no one knows the real number,right) for c crucial job. A CP should be named and completely focussed on training to become a good administrator.......

;) And what should you be? It´s not been the problem of the family of al Maktoum that you struggled with the ruler succession in UAE. It's the way with us since a long time and ever we got well prepared rulers. We Emiratis trust their foresight in this matter. Who will always be the next ruler from the clan of Al Maktoum, he will be the best.

Last edited:
But what was the crucial factor for this sudden decicion? Is it for sure? Will CP hamdan really deselected?

But what was the crucial factor for this sudden decicion? Is it for sure? Will CP hamdan really deselected?

Oh no no no.....:ohmy:HH Sheikh Hamdan will not deselected. How did you come to this conclusion? Sheikh Hamdan is and remains CP. Nothing is or will be changed now. In United Arab Emirates we do not follow the rules of classical monarchy. Also our rulers are not royals or nobles. We are a tribal society and follows our traditional rules. It need not always be a son of the current ruler, who is appointed as CP. It may e.g. also a brother or a nephew to be appointed to CP of a Emarat.

In the UAE the title "CP" does not mean that automatically the holder of the title will be the next ruler of Dubai. But he can be theoretically the next ruler of Dubai. Usually the Sheikh is named for CP, who has the most prestige in the Emirati community and therefore the maximum support. The current ruler shows that he appreciates and repects the will of his people with the appointment. Thats all.

If Sheikh Hamdan will have the most power and knowledge later and he will be the best for this position then he will be the next ruler of Dubai for sure.

Last edited:
I can't see the point why his future as administrator came so sudden in discussion...

Ha ha why cant you see the point..
Every CP is well discussed and debated in TRF..What is he like..His interests..His suitability, acceptability etc.
So I thought I will start a thread on Hamdan, as his will be a very vital position (if he becomes ruler). Bcos unlike other Euro royals, he has actual administrative role. And most of the time I see him following his 'passions' rather than focussing on his priorities in administration for future role..Well I may be wrong, so I put up this thread so that people will think how well he suits.

Hey everyone, the point here is NOT whether Hamdan will remain CP or not.
The point is how well he is preparing himself for his future role as administrator..
What do you thinkk of it? Based on his personality, his attitude..

Sheikh Hamdan is well-prepared for the possiton. And you are right his passions and hobbies may come into his advantage. In this way his people will respect him not only for his leadership and reign, but because of his personality and way of life.

So I thought I will start a thread on Hamdan, as his will be a very vital position (if he becomes ruler). Bcos unlike other Euro royals, he has actual administrative role. And most of the time I see him following his 'passions' rather than focussing on his priorities in administration for future role..Well I may be wrong, so I put up this thread so that people will think how well he suits.

Personally, I see that there are differences between was is publicly visible and what is invisible. The images in the media constitute only a part of his life. That he was often photographed in leisure activities does not mean that it are his only purpose in life and he does nothing else. We perceive a distortion of his life and this be aware of all. He has enjoyed a very good education, accompanied his father and takes part in all important meetings. Sheikh Hamdan is well prepared, if he become the ruler of Dubai later.

Last edited:
A future ruler or people in high administrative positions should have a certain dimesion for a feeling of responsibility what implies If he has some defective modes of behaviours he should be the first one who stays by it. I know for sure he can lure peole with his poetry... but this his private order.. and thats the next case... he does't seem to have a sense for making a difference between his private live and his role in his country. In my opinion he is more occupated with presenting himself in public for example posing on photos.. I've got the impression he is more interested in the "guarding" side of his job than the really important issues like the construction of the business as we all know Dubais oil recources are already carried to end..

Desideria, with all my respects for you I think you are wrongly interpreting Sheikh Hamdan's behaviour. He is just a young man with lots of money he wants to enjoy himslef. And there's nothing wrong with that. This doesnt mean he is irresponsible. As every bachelor in his 30s his sense of repsonsibility is not fuly developed and shown. And about photos - photography is one of his hobbies and passions. Through sharing photos with his people he wants to correlate with them. He wants transparency. And I think this is the right path for every future leader. There's nothing better than that - to love and to be loved among your nation.

And about photos - photography is one of his hobbies and passions. Through sharing photos with his people he wants to correlate with them. He wants transparency. And I think this is the right path for every future leader. There's nothing better than that - to love and to be loved among your nation.

Well spotted..... He is near by his people. The people of UAE love Sheikh Hamdan for his way.......:flowers:

...he doesn't seem to have a sense for making a difference between his private live and his role in his country...
You know him only from what you behold in public. That´s very superficially in opinion. A personal character is not outboard only. It is necessary to get to know closer before judging. You know nothing about Sheikh Hamdan´s thoughts, efforts and knowledge in state leadership or his daily work, right? It is the way of hasty judgments which causes to error in the analysis.

What do other members think? What qualities and skills a person need for a rulership? Please generally describe your thoughts without direct reference to Sheikh Hamdan for the first time. I think we can´t discuss it from an perspective without to know Sheikh Hamdan from his inner sight. Only to look on externally visible could lead to a dead end. Maybe we can get closer of the initial questions of vkrish in this way.

As I said the first and uppermost quality for being a leader is dedication, assertiveness, openness and humility. I see all of this in Sheikh Hamdan expressed in his various activities and initiatives. On the business side, one always needs creativity, understanding of the economic issues and some sense of the business environment. I know His Highness attended LSE in London, though I'm not sure if he graduated. And here Sheikh Maktoum's education in Business Administration comes in handy. We must not forget that Sheikh Hamdan will not be an autocrat, he will rule in cooperation with his brothers and cousins and in general the members of Al Maktoum's family. The success of the UAE comes from unity, integrity and evaluation the needs of the society and the expatriates.

The most appreciated leadership qualities are honesty, confidence, and knowledge.A leader/President should aim to bring unity to his people-to create a sense of belonging and purpose so that every citizen feels they are important and they can be proud of their country.They should work to imrove the living conditions of the citizens and do everything to ensure that the nation can prosper and compete with other nations in fields of science,infrastructure,business and culture.

A good leader represents and understands the values, culture, and traditions of the people he is governing.He should lead by example and live a moral lifestyle so that his subjects can look at him with respect and he is a positive figurehead/ambassador in foreign countries.
Being able to discuss difficult topics,finding solutions for clashing of opinions and interests is vital.In Dubai´s case a pivotal issue is to find a balance between cherishing old traditions and customs while at the same allowing innovation,new technology and scientific research to thrive.Loosing the connection to anscient wisdom and folkway would be like cutting the roots from a plant but ignoring change and progress would lead to isolation and economic disadvantage.
What should be selve-evident:Good manners,civil behaviour and decent appearance.

Last edited:
Excellent work of maharata and blauerengel. Well done! It seems that we have potential rulers here on TRF or at least who knows what is important for this "job". :flowers: I fully agree with both. Are there any other inner strengths that are missing in this good compilations?

Last edited:
Women multi-task all the time, it's completely natural for us, instinctive - we couldn't combine the roles of working wife or working wife and mother without that ability.

For men, wherever they live, domestic issues are not seen as so important. In the West, men really aren't in touch with their feelings and aren't encouraged to be creative about problem-solving but rather to be very logical.

In life though the 'enemy' be that literal in warfare or figurative in business, doesn't always act according to the logical plan.

Being able to think creatively, outside of the box, laterally and strategically and being in touch with your emotions and the likely reactions of others is a good life skill. It means you can act decisively and swiftly.

I'm not a Muslim myself but the concept of Inshallah PBUH is a recognition that we are not always in control of our destiny and that unless we accept that then we're being arrogant rather than humble.

Omar Khayyam wrote:
" The Moving Finger writes; and having writ
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it "

The Moving Finger is surely Time itself.

Back
Top Bottom