The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Gentry

Sheikh Hamdan is well-prepared for the possiton. And you are right his passions and hobbies may come into his advantage. In this way his people will respect him not only for his leadership and reign, but because of his personality and way of life.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
So I thought I will start a thread on Hamdan, as his will be a very vital position (if he becomes ruler). Bcos unlike other Euro royals, he has actual administrative role. And most of the time I see him following his 'passions' rather than focussing on his priorities in administration for future role..Well I may be wrong, so I put up this thread so that people will think how well he suits.
Personally, I see that there are differences between was is publicly visible and what is invisible. The images in the media constitute only a part of his life. That he was often photographed in leisure activities does not mean that it are his only purpose in life and he does nothing else. We perceive a distortion of his life and this be aware of all. He has enjoyed a very good education, accompanied his father and takes part in all important meetings. Sheikh Hamdan is well prepared, if he become the ruler of Dubai later.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Gentry

A future ruler or people in high administrative positions should have a certain dimesion for a feeling of responsibility what implies If he has some defective modes of behaviours he should be the first one who stays by it. I know for sure he can lure peole with his poetry... but this his private order.. and thats the next case... he does't seem to have a sense for making a difference between his private live and his role in his country. In my opinion he is more occupated with presenting himself in public for example posing on photos.. I've got the impression he is more interested in the "guarding" side of his job than the really important issues like the construction of the business as we all know Dubais oil recources are already carried to end..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Gentry

Desideria, with all my respects for you I think you are wrongly interpreting Sheikh Hamdan's behaviour. He is just a young man with lots of money he wants to enjoy himslef. And there's nothing wrong with that. This doesnt mean he is irresponsible. As every bachelor in his 30s his sense of repsonsibility is not fuly developed and shown. And about photos - photography is one of his hobbies and passions. Through sharing photos with his people he wants to correlate with them. He wants transparency. And I think this is the right path for every future leader. There's nothing better than that - to love and to be loved among your nation.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharata View Post
And about photos - photography is one of his hobbies and passions. Through sharing photos with his people he wants to correlate with them. He wants transparency. And I think this is the right path for every future leader. There's nothing better than that - to love and to be loved among your nation.
Well spotted..... He is near by his people. The people of UAE love Sheikh Hamdan for his way.......

Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideria View Post
...he doesn't seem to have a sense for making a difference between his private live and his role in his country...
You know him only from what you behold in public. That´s very superficially in opinion. A personal character is not outboard only. It is necessary to get to know closer before judging. You know nothing about Sheikh Hamdan´s thoughts, efforts and knowledge in state leadership or his daily work, right? It is the way of hasty judgments which causes to error in the analysis.

What do other members think? What qualities and skills a person need for a rulership? Please generally describe your thoughts without direct reference to Sheikh Hamdan for the first time. I think we can´t discuss it from an perspective without to know Sheikh Hamdan from his inner sight. Only to look on externally visible could lead to a dead end. Maybe we can get closer of the initial questions of vkrish in this way.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Gentry

As I said the first and uppermost quality for being a leader is dedication, assertiveness, openness and humility. I see all of this in Sheikh Hamdan expressed in his various activities and initiatives. On the business side, one always needs creativity, understanding of the economic issues and some sense of the business environment. I know His Highness attended LSE in London, though I'm not sure if he graduated. And here Sheikh Maktoum's education in Business Administration comes in handy. We must not forget that Sheikh Hamdan will not be an autocrat, he will rule in cooperation with his brothers and cousins and in general the members of Al Maktoum's family. The success of the UAE comes from unity, integrity and evaluation the needs of the society and the expatriates.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

The most appreciated leadership qualities are honesty, confidence, and knowledge.A leader/President should aim to bring unity to his people-to create a sense of belonging and purpose so that every citizen feels they are important and they can be proud of their country.They should work to imrove the living conditions of the citizens and do everything to ensure that the nation can prosper and compete with other nations in fields of science,infrastructure,business and culture.

A good leader represents and understands the values, culture, and traditions of the people he is governing.He should lead by example and live a moral lifestyle so that his subjects can look at him with respect and he is a positive figurehead/ambassador in foreign countries.
Being able to discuss difficult topics,finding solutions for clashing of opinions and interests is vital.In Dubai´s case a pivotal issue is to find a balance between cherishing old traditions and customs while at the same allowing innovation,new technology and scientific research to thrive.Loosing the connection to anscient wisdom and folkway would be like cutting the roots from a plant but ignoring change and progress would lead to isolation and economic disadvantage.
What should be selve-evident:Good manners,civil behaviour and decent appearance.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Serene Highness

Excellent work of maharata and blauerengel. Well done! It seems that we have potential rulers here on TRF or at least who knows what is important for this "job". I fully agree with both. Are there any other inner strengths that are missing in this good compilations?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Gentry

Women multi-task all the time, it's completely natural for us, instinctive - we couldn't combine the roles of working wife or working wife and mother without that ability.

For men, wherever they live, domestic issues are not seen as so important. In the West, men really aren't in touch with their feelings and aren't encouraged to be creative about problem-solving but rather to be very logical.

In life though the 'enemy' be that literal in warfare or figurative in business, doesn't always act according to the logical plan.

Being able to think creatively, outside of the box, laterally and strategically and being in touch with your emotions and the likely reactions of others is a good life skill. It means you can act decisively and swiftly.

I'm not a Muslim myself but the concept of Inshallah PBUH is a recognition that we are not always in control of our destiny and that unless we accept that then we're being arrogant rather than humble.

Omar Khayyam wrote:
" The Moving Finger writes; and having writ
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it "

The Moving Finger is surely Time itself.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Serene Highness

You do not know arab men.... We (exceptions apart) can be very emotional in everything we do. Enough of that! It leads us away from the real issue here. So you think, it is also important for a ruler to be patient and humble? Is my assumption correct?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=blauerengel;1489638]The most appreciated leadership qualities are honesty, confidence, and knowledge.A leader/President should aim to bring unity to his people-to create a sense of belonging and purpose so that every citizen feels they are important and they can be proud of their country.They....

Well said blauerengel. The most appreciated leadership also recognices progression as such one.

Also a critical point in muslim cultures/states is the fear of lost of their religious and cultural aspects and therefore their individual identification. It seems as they feel in "danger". That's why some or many of them have a critical approach against the "western world" with their model of "modernism" what is't automatically the idea of progression. And so they feel rightfully misunderstood. Because wherefrom does the "west" know how their modell will end in?

Despite of all these exposed arguments the muslim world will go down if they block the positive aspects of like what you mentioned...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
You do not know arab men.... We (exceptions apart) can be very emotional in everything we do. Enough of that! It leads us away from the real issue here. So you think, it is also important for a ruler to be patient and humble? Is my assumption correct?
Yes, because a ruler always needs the love and support of his or her people otherwise it all falls apart eg the French Kings.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideria View Post
Despite of all these exposed arguments the muslim world will go down if they block the positive aspects of like what you mentioned...
Go not so hard on us. The western knowledge and western culture alone are no guarantee for survival of the time. We value our traditions and religion and this is not be inconsistent with modern requirements. But nobody is perfect, right?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

I think, essentially we are approaching the core questions of vkish. What do you think, where or in which way a young man acquires these inner powers and skills?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
Go not so hard on us. The western knowledge and western culture alone are no guarantee for survival of the time. We value our traditions and religion and this is not be inconsistent with modern requirements. But nobody is perfect, right?
If I recall correctly, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, so hardly a relic of the past.

It does seem to me, that in the West we put Islam and Arab culture into one amorphous mass and they aren't the same and when we do that, we just show our own ignorance and insularity.

Hmm.. I'd say that first, a potential ruler needs to have a good education, as a foundation stone and to learn about his (in this context) nation's past. Then have decent people around him who will guide him without being toadying. Leading his people is an honour.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Before returning to Sheikh Hamdan, let´s do more objective considerations: In universities, courses and training students can acquire knowledge about politics, economy, polity and so on. This can be an opportunity to prepare for the rule. But how does it look with the soft skills? Where or how it were acquired? What do you think? Which role plays the family in the acquistion of specific leadership skills?

Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Gentry

The family can teach you valuable things: how to cope with rising tensions and play the role of bridge between different factions of society, how to assess everyone's wants and find the best way to fulfil them, how to respect the nation, the God, the land.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Serene Highness

What do you think: What conditions or principles must be fulfilled in the family so that the adult members can teach the younger generation valuable things?

I realize that the answer is not simple, but I hope we find a way slowly to approach the topic of vkish had asked. Thanks to all who participate in the conversation.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Gentry

Its also a cruical point to mention that the "modernism" is only the name of "this" epoch. The "modernism" has his more or less advantagable qualities and will find some day its end. It's not equalized with "trendy" or "to be kept up to date".. its only the name! Consequentionally beeng modern means "to be adapted to this age" .. not more and not less.

Apart from the industrial revolution and partly the IT-revolution it has more features like the formation of states and therefore national and cultural identification. The decomposition of it could implicate the loss of identification and as a result a "chaotic" circumstance like it could be given in globalisation, attheism, abstitence of "role modells"... which wouldn't be the "modernism" anymore but the "postmodernism" what means the "after"modernism.

The "time bar" doesn' only returns to the past but also to the future. The deception is the successful bridging of the potential "chaos".