Engagements of CP Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikh Maktoum & Sheikh Ahmed: May 15, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the woman can refuse to marry but in this case we are not talking about anybody, it is the ruling family, they all have their wife chosen from birth, they have no choice but to marry the parents send, as I see it they only gave them time for them to do their things separately it is clear that he did not want to marry before and neither now, you can see in his face. They had no other choice

I absolutely agree with you if you follow him on social media you can understand some thing gets wrong
(Dubaipoetry closed instagram account i was very sorry)
He is very emotional, romantic and tactful person if he love shaikha he never keep her waiting ten years to marry

I absolutely agree with you if you follow him on social media you can understand some thing gets wrong
(Dubaipoetry closed instagram account i was very sorry)
He is very emotional, romantic and tactful person if he love shaikha he never keep her waiting ten years to marry
I did not know that I had closed the account of dubaipoetry ahira where we will see the translations, I hope it returns.
Exactly why wait? It is obvious that none to date wanted to marry, in addition none of his direct sisters congratulate him and I could see that none gave me like any of the publicity of marriage, I hope he is happy with the time when they have children that I can help them as a couple .

I did not know that I had closed the account of dubaipoetry ahira where we will see the translations, I hope it returns.
Exactly why wait? It is obvious that none to date wanted to marry, in addition none of his direct sisters congratulate him and I could see that none gave me like any of the publicity of marriage, I hope he is happy with the time when they have children that I can help them as a couple .

isn't everything for those kids already? Dubai's future ruler
For blood tie, money, customs
Why we don't consider about ahmed and maktoum like hamdan because he opposed ten years ago and we are waiting he will marry for love like
prince harry so i can't understand this status

I don't understand how you can judge whether people are happy/in love/forced to get married based on a couple of photos posted on Instagram. I don't wanna be rude or anything... but they just signed the contracts and you keep talking that he can take a second wife. Maybe Hamdan isn't like his father at all and does't want to marry another woman? I hardly doubt he was forced by his family. Maybe when he got engaged with Shaikha years ago, he realised he WASNT not ready at that time. People change their opinion towards marriage over time.

Offtop: I can't see why photos of Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya and their kids mean that he loves her more than his other wives.He has 3 of them and I am sure they are treated equally. Take into consideration the fact that Sheikha Hind is a private person. Most of her daughters too and their pics arent posted online.

Congratulations to the couples!
I agree that people change their opinion towards marriage over time. Maybe he wasn't ready then, but I don't think this relationship was a fairytale one like those we have seen in European royals. Of course, they belong to a different royal family and the culture is very different as well, but to me, he doesn't look happy at all. And happiness doesn't choose gender, race or culture. If he truly loved her, he would be "jumping" with joy and happiness...which he isn't, by the way (he might be introvert, but when someone is truly happy, it shows on their faces).

About Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya, I said I didn't know of course, but it was what it seemed to me. It was just my opinion, that's all. He might love his wives, sure thing. But, no matter what people say, no man on this earth can love "equally" all of his wives, he likes them all, but I'm sure there must be one who he has more affection for. I live in a monogamous society, but it could compare to ex-girlfriends or ex-boyfriends, we never loved them equally, I'm sure there were some that made a greater impact on our hearts than others. Again...It's just my humble opinion, not that it matters much, anyways...:flowers:

I can't understand why people think that Fazza is unhappy with this marriage? He belongs to a conservative society that certainly doesn't allow him to express his feelings or private life publicly on social media.
Fazza & Sheikha are close relatives ( maternal cousins), they have been engaged for a while before, so they must know each other very well. I don't think their reunion after all these years is only to complete a traditional arranged family marriage.

BTW, Sheikh Mohammad has posted new poetry celebrating his sons' marriages.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnIdv7jHA7/

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Sheikh Ahmed got married? There was no announcement of engagement earlier!! How is the girl or any picture??

Last edited:
I'm sorry but if I understand well, sheikh Hamdan and Sheikha are first cousins, it means that their parents are siblings!!!! Is that normal in the muslim culture? I come from a culture (Greek orthodox) where marry your first cousin is absolutely unacceptable!!! It is extremely rare to occur and where it happens the social and family circle reject this. I know a couple of first cousins who fell in love and married but they were obliged to leave Greece and settle in another county, where their family bond was not known, and in top of that they decided not to have kids for obvious reasons.
Consequently I cannot understand that they Dubai royal family among all women in the world obliges the crown prince to marry his first cousin and have kids with her.

Ahmed was also engaged to his cousin for many years, so they did not commit themselves because they had already done so several years ago.

I'm sorry but if I understand well, sheikh Hamdan and Sheikha are first cousins, it means that their parents are siblings!!!! Is that normal in the muslim culture? I come from a culture (Greek orthodox) where marry your first cousin is absolutely unacceptable!!! It is extremely rare to occur and where it happens the social and family circle reject this. I know a couple of first cousins who fell in love and married but they were obliged to leave Greece and settle in another county, where their family bond was not known, and in top of that they decided not to have kids for obvious reasons.
Consequently I cannot understand that they Dubai royal family among all women in the world obliges the crown prince to marry his first cousin and have kids with her.

Marrying first cousins (even marrying your niece) was not that uncommon in Europe among royals into the 19th century. Prince Albert's father married his own niece as his second wife. Look at many of the older royal weddings, more then a century ago, and most were very closely related. Thankfully first cousins are unheard of in most cultures now.

But yes in the Middle East its still common. And all three grooms married cousins, not just Hamdan.

Its a long tradition. Hind's parents are first cousins, her mother was the daughter of Emir Saeed II, her father was the son of Saeed's brother Juma. This makes Hind and her husband both first and second cousins. First cousins on her mother's side (her mother and Mo's father are both kids of Saeed), and second on her dad's side where her grandfather and his are brothers.

Marrying first cousins (even marrying your niece) was not that uncommon in Europe among royals into the 19th century. Prince Albert's father married his own niece as his second wife. Look at many of the older royal weddings, more then a century ago, and most were very closely related. Thankfully first cousins are unheard of in most cultures now.

But yes in the Middle East its still common. And all three grooms married cousins, not just Hamdan.

Its a long tradition. Hind's parents are first cousins, her mother was the daughter of Emir Saeed II, her father was the son of Saeed's brother Juma. This makes Hind and her husband both first and second cousins. First cousins on her mother's side (her mother and Mo's father are both kids of Saeed), and second on her dad's side where her grandfather and his are brothers.
Thanks for explaining the Maktoub family bonds.
Yes in European royal families it was common because their main purpose when choosing brides was to marry into equal rank and also the bride was bringing territories and strategic alliances. Consequently it was almost impossible Not to be somehow parents, as they married always inside royal families.
For first cousins since catholic religion does not really allow it, they had to ask dispense from Pape, which of course was granted.
Now for the Maktoub there is no reason off territories or alliances, so the only reason should be just to follow the tradition of marrying first cousins. So if it is true that he does not want this wedding, it means that they made him unhappy only to follow a non sense tradition.
I
Is she?? The pic of the beginning of the thread below??
She is very pretty

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26098

Sheikh Hamdan: Future wife, wedding etc.

Last edited:
let's hope we get a picture of the brides. such a shame that we don't hear much from the new sheikhas.

:previous:
I shall be greatly surprised, if any photos (decorations, table settings, and etc) are shared.

I can't understand why people think that Fazza is unhappy with this marriage? He belongs to a conservative society that certainly doesn't allow him to express his feelings or private life publicly on social media.
Fazza & Sheikha are close relatives ( maternal cousins), they have been engaged for a while before, so they must know each other very well. I don't think their reunion after all these years is only to complete a traditional arranged family marriage.
I can't understand too,some photos from instagram and hoplaa he is unhappy he is forced and so on.....
- Hamdan is 38 in ME society he is old too old for single man,men in ME don't stay unmarried tell this age untile they don't want to be married....
-Sheikh Hamdan is the next ruler of Dubai sure as grown man of 38 knows how to strengthen his postion sush marriage is seen very often as a way to reinforce the statut....
-Hamdan also as heir needs heirs and he need a mothe that her statut in the ruling family is favorable to his children.

I am not saying he is madly in love but also hard to believe he is forced or under pressures to marry this particular Shaikha like a 18 years old..
I can understand we all like fairytale and Disney stories but we have also to understand some and beacause of their position and who they are simply chose the way of mind rather than heart...or just follow their society traditions and codes wich is not bad Imo.

But constant marrying persons closely related lead to serious genetic disorders, what history of Habsburg dynasty clearly shows.

But constant marrying persons closely related lead to serious genetic disorders, what history of Habsburg dynasty clearly shows.
Exactly!!! I didn't want to mention it but Indeed it is true and proven. We have a lot of diseases called "royalty diseases" because they were very commun into the européan royal families, just because of the multiple "consaguine" weddings!!! In this period royal grooms and brides were multiple times blood related and had full of family diseases because of the close parenting.
Even in animal breeding it is forbidden to cross them if they have close blood relation level.
It is another point also interesting. When you grow up as a child with your cousins, and you play since day 0 with your first cousin, you see her like a cousin, how could you 20 or 30 years after be in love with???

It is another point also interesting. When you grow up as a child with your cousins, and you play since day 0 with your first cousin, you see her like a cousin, how could you 20 or 30 years after be in love with???

Its like Mademoiselle Lilo wrote: “... simply chosen the way of mind and tradition rather than the way of heart...“

Last edited:
Of course. But in this case something is not clear. Where is the important point and tradition to follow?
Obey to parent's decision, or marry the first cousin?

Their wedding ceremony will be on June 6 and national holiday until the june 9
I can't still believe this i am so sorry

The national holiday is mainly for Eid Al Fitr which marks the end of Ramadan in UEA. The wedding celebrations are expected to take place during Eid break.

As per to the wedding invitation you posted above & many sources the wedding celebrations will be held on June 6.
I just want to clarify that the national holiday is not given for the wedding specifically. It also marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan & the official Eid Alfitr break.

Last edited:
Is the bride this beautiful lady quoted in my pre-previous post? I cannot quote it again

Of course. But in this case something is not clear. Where is the important point and tradition to follow?
Obey to parent's decision, or marry the first cousin?

Maybe it's both in his case. Here in UAE it's not uncommon to marry your first cousin even it is not a tradition carved in stone. Often it is seen as strengthening the inner ties within a large family. For a member of a ruling family it can be beneficial and wise to choose your wife strategically (mind instead of heart while the latter might be occur with time too). If the spouse is selected within own family - maybe also following/obey parents wish -, then it is almost guaranteed that the spouse is already fully familiar with everything and accepted from everybody in your family. Everything would be easier for the newlyweds.

Last edited:
Their wedding ceremony will be on 6 june

Thats right. The official ceremony to celebrate the marriages of CP Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikh Maktoum & Sheikh Ahmed will take place on Thursday, June 6. The event (wedding reception for men) held at Dubai World Trade Centre at 4pm and is expected to be attended by many guests. It follows a private wedding ceremony on May 15 at which the three couples signed the marriage contract called Al Akhd. After signing the marriage agreement there was a holy recitation followed by men performing a traditional Emirati dance.

As a part of the wedding invitation ornate gift boxes decorated with golden Arabic calligraphy were sent. Within the box is a silver pot, containing amber Omani halwa, a traditional sweet. The regional treat made of wheat starch, sugar, water, ghee, saffron, cardamom and nuts is often served during celebrations, decorated with almonds and crushed pistachios.

Last edited:
Thats right. The official ceremony to celebrate the marriages of CP Sheikh Hamdan, Sheikh Maktoum & Sheikh Ahmed will take place on Thursday, June 6. The event (wedding reception for men) held at Dubai World Trade Centre at 4pm and is expected to be attended by many guests. It follows a private wedding ceremony on May 15 at which the three couples signed the marriage contract called Al Akhd. After signing the marriage agreement there was a holy recitation followed by men performing a traditional Emirati dance.

As a part of the wedding invitation ornate gift boxes decorated with golden Arabic calligraphy were sent. Within the box is a silver pot, containing amber Omani halwa, a traditional sweet. The regional treat made of wheat starch, sugar, water, ghee, saffron, cardamom and nuts is often served during celebrations, decorated with almonds and crushed pistachios.

Thanks for the explanation Imanmajed!

Can you give a description on what happens in the wedding reception for the bride(s) and women guests? Do the men and women eventually congregate, or are the wedding festivities always segregate the men and women?

Can you give a description on what happens in the wedding reception for the bride(s) and women guests? Do the men and women eventually congregate, or are the wedding festivities always segregate the men and women?

Men and women have separate wedding receptions, which can be held on the same or on different nights. Guests of an Emirati wedding typically number in the hundreds or thousands and for this reason brothers, cousins and close male friends often marry on the same day. Each bride, however, is usually the star of her own big night. Today in the larger cities often a special wedding hall or hotel ball room is place of the festivity.

Women's receptions begin in the late evening. Guests are received at the door by female relatives of the bride and groom and are offered various perfumes before seating themselves at the table of their choice. Tables may be laden with appetisers and sweets. A multi-course meal is served throughout the evening and servers circulate with coffee, tea and snacks.

After a few hours, the bride enters and walks down a long catwalk in the centre of the hall to a stage where she seats herself on an elaborate sofa. She can stay there to receive guests or circulate among them. Later a change in music alerts female guests to the impending arrival of the groom – the evening culminates with his entrance. He also walks down the elevated aisle, dressed in a gold-trimmed bisht cloak, with a handful of other close male relatives. The men stay there for a while and accept congratulations before taking the bride home. Newly-weds can live together once the bride’s wedding reception has been held with female guests.

Mens wedding receptions are less lavish and extravagant. They meet in big halls to congratulate the groom(s) who are present too. Traditional dances are shown and a meal is served. Servers circulating around with tea and coffee. The celebration for the male can be held on day too. Bride(s) or women never appear(s) at the celebration of the men.

This is a common formula, but wedding practices change according to the time, fashion, family and region in UAE. There are still neighborhood weddings at homes in traditional coastal, desert and mountain communities too. Such weddings often happen during winter and still remain popular in different Emirates. Hundreds gather from early morning to drum, dance and feast. Women celebrate it more discrete joining other female relatives in a house beside the tents set up for the men.

Last edited:
Men and women have separate wedding receptions, which can be held on the same or on different nights. Guests of an Emirati wedding typically number in the hundreds and for this reason brothers, cousins and male friends often marry on the same day. Each bride, however, is usually the star of her own night. Today in the larger cities often a special wedding hall or hotel ball room is place of the festivity.

Women's receptions begin in the late evening. Guests are received at the door by female relatives of the bride and groom and are offered various perfumes before seating themselves at the table of their choice. Tables may be laden with appetisers and sweets. A multi-course meal is served throughout the evening and servers circulate with coffee, tea and snacks.

After a few hours, the bride enters and walks down a long catwalk in the centre of the hall to a stage where she seats herself on an elaborate sofa. She can stay there to receive guests or circulate among them. Later a change in music alerts female guests to the impending arrival of the groom – the evening culminates with his entrance. He also walks down the elevated aisle, dressed in a gold-trimmed bisht cloak, with a handful of other close male relatives. The men stay there for a while and accept congratulations before taking the bride home. Newly-weds can live together once the bride’s wedding reception has been held with female guests.

Mens wedding receptions are less lavish and extravagant. They meet in big halls to congratulate the groom(s) who are present too. Traditional dances are shown and a meal is served. Servers circulating around with tea and coffee. The celebration for the male can be held on day too. Bride(s) or women never appear(s) at the celebration of the men.

This is a common formula, but wedding practices change according to the time, fashion, family and region in UAE. There are neighborhood weddings at homes in traditional coastal, desert and mountain communities too. Such weddings often happen during winter and still remain popular in different Emirates. Hundreds gather from early morning to drum, dance and feast. Women celebrate it more distrect joining other female relatives in a house beside the tents set up for the men.

Thank you for your excellent explanation! I love learning about wedding customs from different parts of the world and from different religions. I'm surprised that the bride and groom can only live together once the women's reception has been held. Is there a reason for that, or simply it's tradition? Either way it is a very matriarchal custom in such a patriarchal society.

I suspect the women's festivities will be amazing, considering the brides are related to the Ruling family. To be a wall on the fly during the celebrations!

I'm surprised that the bride and groom can only live together once the women's reception has been held. Is there a reason for that, or simply it's tradition?

An Emirati wedding consists of several parts that end with the wedding reception of the bride. Only when all steps are completed the marriage is seen as official.

I suspect the women's festivities will be amazing, considering the brides are related to the Ruling family.

For sure amazing wedding receptions are to be expected. But even if bride and groom do not related to a ruling family Emirati marriages are often amazing and very expensive. This makes it difficult -if not impossible - for some young men to find an Emirati bride. Social expectations often force the Emirati couples to go into debt at the beginning of their marriage. This is a development that I see as very critical, even though it will certainly not be the case with the current weddings ahead of the ruling family.

Last edited:
The separate women's receptions are expected to be held next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom