Dubai World Cup: 2005-2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So happy for Animal Kingdom! He had an injury that prevented him from running last year. His connections are good people. Yay for the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner now the 2013 Dubai World Cup winner as well!

So happy for Animal Kingdom! He had an injury that prevented him from running last year. His connections are good people. Yay for the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner now the 2013 Dubai World Cup winner as well!

He is one of the very few top contenders in the field, a Kentucky Derby Winner. The only question was how he would cope with Tapeta instead of dirt. Funny enough, he broke is pelvis like a previous winner, Well Armed, and returned to win the DWC.

In general, there is critizism that the whole Carnival is all about the money, the british don't send their best horses because of the timing, its too early for the season. Therefore a lot of second string or older horses will the big prizes that don't stand any chances during the summer season in Europe.

The Americans now start coming over but most horses are dirt horses and don't like the Meydan Tapeta, lots of superstar horses have flopped there (Game on Dude last year, this year Little Mike, Dullahan or Royal Delta).

Two of the Coolmore horses won this year, they used to boycott the DWC because Sheikh Mohammed & John Magnier do not speak to each other. But money talks, and maybe Magnier is having a laugh stealing some big prizes on Arab home turf.

He is one of the very few top contenders in the field, a Kentucky Derby Winner. The only question was how he would cope with Tapeta instead of dirt. Funny enough, he broke is pelvis like a previous winner, Well Armed, and returned to win the DWC.

In general, there is critizism that the whole Carnival is all about the money, the british don't send their best horses because of the timing, its too early for the season. Therefore a lot of second string or older horses will the big prizes that don't stand any chances during the summer season in Europe.

The Americans now start coming over but most horses are dirt horses and don't like the Meydan Tapeta, lots of superstar horses have flopped there (Game on Dude last year, this year Little Mike, Dullahan or Royal Delta).

Two of the Coolmore horses won this year, they used to boycott the DWC because Sheikh Mohammed & John Magnier do not speak to each other. But money talks, and maybe Magnier is having a laugh stealing some big prizes on Arab home turf.

That is interesting, I use to follow the races a little bit and I like horses, but I must say that I am not very well-informed about the background and what is going on behind the scenes.
Well,I don´t understand why the British don´t send their horses to DWC-if I had a fine horse that has chances to win,I would definitely send it...
But maybe the pride and personal relations of the men prevent that:ermm:

That is interesting, I use to follow the races a little bit and I like horses, but I must say that I am not very well-informed about the background and what is going on behind the scenes.
Well,I don´t understand why the British don´t send their horses to DWC-if I had a fine horse that has chances to win,I would definitely send it...
But maybe the pride and personal relations of the men prevent that:ermm:

It has to do with the British horse racing season for flat races, which only starts these days and peaks from June onwards. The horses are simply only beginning to be trained for the big meetings like Royal Ascot, Classics etc. these days.

Therefore, unless you have older American horses, who are out there to grab some big price money before they go to stud or local horses, who will not compete in Europe, there is not prime competition like eg in the Breeder's Cup that takes place in October.

So DWC is about big price money but less quality, and it comes back from the days when Sheikh Mo was desperate to get Dubai on the horse racing map. March is not good timing for Superstar horses to perform on highest level.

Actually it wasn't really a big question for him. Animal Kingdom has won on synthetics before. He's also raced on grass.

Also, he did not fracture his pelvis, he had a stress fracture in his left hind leg. Before that, he had a slab fracture the year before in the same leg.

In their excitement about Animal kingdom´s win,they wrote his father´s name wrong-the horse is not called "Leroidesanimaux",but Le roi des animaux! (Meaning the king of animals in French!)
Congratulations to all the winners & good luck to the rest of the competitors:flowers:

Nope, it is printed right. Leroidesanimaux is correct. Here's his stud page from his farm.

Leroidesanimaux (Brz) | Hallmarc Stallions

Nope, it is printed right. Leroidesanimaux is correct. Here's his stud page from his farm.

Leroidesanimaux (Brz) | Hallmarc Stallions

Maybe,but it doesn´t really makes sense,it´s like writing Sheikhmohammedbinrashidalmaktoum instead of his name with spaces inbetween...I really wonder about some horse names,they are on the verge of the ultra-ridiculous sometimes:whistling:

Maybe,but it doesn´t really makes sense,it´s like writing Sheikhmohammedbinrashidalmaktoum instead of his name with spaces inbetween...I really wonder about some horse names,they are on the verge of the ultra-ridiculous sometimes:whistling:

There's a difference between a man's name and the name of a racehorse....

Last edited:
It is not a funny name,but a name written in the wrong way,it is like calling a horse "Mashulla" when it really means "Mashalla".That is considered strange,not funny,just plain sloppyness and absolutely nothing that tells that the owner have respect for the beauty of the French language.
As I have told-le roi des animaux has MEANING in French,it means the king of animals!

For thoroughbreds the Jockey Club limits the number of characters including spaces in a horses name. They must also approve the horses name.

Oh,thank you NGalitzine,that makes perfect sense to me!
Very smart way of chosing a too long name and cleverly dodging the Jockey Club rules ;-)
I thought something like that,but I don´t know so much about the specific rules and laws in equestrianism and special requirements of FEI/certain clubs :)
So good luck to "le roi des animaux" and his kid,"Animal Kingdom" :clap:
A very pretty and well-trained horse indeed, I like the colour of his coat and the cute white part on LRDA´s head!

"As a racehorse, Leroidesanimaux was scintillating. He set a record for largest margin of victory in the Atto Mile, a race he won by 7 3/4 lengths while carrying the highest weight of any winner in the history of the race."

Last edited:
Yep, the Jockey Club rules can be a bit annoying sometimes. Especially when they reject perfectly good names yet allow some horses to be called "Panty Raid", "Bodacious Ta Ta's" and "Date more Minors".

Haha,the name suggestions above are too funny to be true *lol*
Yes,I am sure they have some strange rules that riders and owners need to follow.
When I visited a large stable,walking around and looking at all the names I sometimes could not stop myself from thinking how the owners arrived at such an excentric name choice! But hey, we live in a free world and everyone should take names they want- so let´s take it with a dose of healthy humour :)

Haha,the name suggestions above are too funny to be true *lol*
Yes,I am sure they have some strange rules that riders and owners need to follow.
When I visited a large stable,walking around and looking at all the names I sometimes could not stop myself from thinking how the owners arrived at such an excentric name choice! But hey, we live in a free world and everyone should take names they want- so let´s take it with a dose of healthy humour :)

LOL, but they are true racehorse names! Some are funny, others are kinda questionable. ;)

Really? Haha,that is really the joke of the day,you are not fooling me?Especially the last name is *eeeek*...how did they allow that?
I am sorry for the horses who need to run around with those names. They deserve better than that.I would take my names from literature and opera, I think they would make special and beautiful names,imagine "Manon Lescaut" or for a lively horse "Huckleberry Finn", a very strong horse might get a name from Greek mythology etc.
I have plenty of ideas for the names, now I only need the horses to give it to them ;-)

Really? Haha,that is really the joke of the day,you are not fooling me?Especially the last name is *eeeek*...how did they allow that?
I am sorry for the horses who need to run around with those names. They deserve better than that.I would take my names from literature and opera, I think they would make special and beautiful names,imagine "Manon Lescaut" or for a lively horse "Huckleberry Finn", a very strong horse might get a name from Greek mythology etc.
I have plenty of ideas for the names, now I only need the horses to give it to them ;-)

Yes, they are true names. Panty Raid was trained by Todd Pletcher, won the Spinster Stakes a couple years ago.
http://niallbrennan.com/images/niallbrennan.com/V3_PantyRaid.jpg

Bodacious Ta Ta's Bodacious Tatas Thoroughbred

And Date more Minors Date More Minors Horse Pedigree

oh no,the first two names still go under "ridiculous,but hey-why not let them have the fun?" but the last name is making me cringe...
At least the horses won´t get bullied in school for their names like some poor girls and boys who have got a very unusual name and get treated badly by their fellow students because of that.

Wow,Maryam looks so great in this picture! I love her dress and her hairstyle,she is such a natural beauty:)
Thanks for sharing,khalidi!

did u guys see how cute sheikha al jalila was?! she's so pretty mashallah. sheikh mo is such a down to earth guy he let her tickle him infront of all the press and all the people around him. it was just the nicest thing to see.
who was the little girl with sheikha al jalila? is she one of her jordanian cousins?

The last year's race at Meydan was more of a family gathering. However this year we didn't see neither Sheikh Rashid nor the daudghters of Sheikh Mohammed. And the high-profile guests were Ramzan Kadyrov - the president of Chechnya and Akon. Why is Sheikh Rashid absent from these events. For an outsider it's too difficult to comprehend the reason, but you guys have some observations, it'll be nice to discuss this issue. :flowers:

Oh no,Kadyrow was at that World Cup? If he was present,I can understand that Mohammed´s daughters did not want to go there....I am glad that the girls are so cautious and don´t want to be seen with a man of such doubtful reputation....

"A Russian daily, Gazeta, reported that according to a poll conducted by the independent Levada Center, only 33 percent of Russians believe that Ramzan Kadyrov can be trusted, while 35 percent believed that he cannot. Asked whether they thought Kadyrov could normalize the situation in Chechnya and end the bloodshed there, 31 percent said yes and 38 percent said no."

(Source:http://www.gazeta.ru/)

About Sheikh Rashid I don´t know,I thought it was nice he could attend last DWC,but maybe Sheikh Mohammed is more careful now and did not want him top attend or maybe he had something else to do.Hopefully not watching the match Borussia Dortmund-Malaga,because that was such a lousy game and DWC is definitely a better and more exciting event ;-)

sheikha sheikha was at the races i saw a picture she (i assume) has taken of sheikha sheema and in the background was the race track. they were in one of those closed booths ( i dont know what theyre called) looking down at the races

Really? How interesting! I absolutely adore Sheema:)
Hope they hada great time at the race track,maybe it inspires the little Princess to pursue a equestrian career when she is older.
Can you post the picture you´ve found? I would love to see it too,as you know by now, I am very much enchanted by cute Sheema & happy to watch her photographs!

A picture for the Al Jalila fan club: His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, UAE Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai and Shaikha Al Jalila following competitions Dubai World Cup 2013:

Shaikh Mo and Shaikha Al Jalila at DWC 2013

Back
Top Bottom