Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Dubai royals horse doping issues

Sheikh Hamdan in horse doping inquiry

...Although refusing to comment on the specifics of the two cases under investigation, a spokeswoman for the FEI confirmed: "Our rules state that the person responsible is the rider."... - Article

Equestrian body checks 2nd horse doping case

...The governing body said Friday that Princess Haya of Jordan will step aside from her presidential duties when it considers the case against Sheik Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, the son of her husband, Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum... - Article

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

The FEI has a zero tolerance policy. Not an aspirin, etc. At the last 2 Olympics several horses were disqualified due to capsaisin, etc in the sold over the counter hoof packing and poultice.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Equestrian federation bans its president's husband, Dubai ruler Sheik Mohammed, for 6 months

The International Equestrian Federation banned its president's husband — Dubai's Sheik Mohammed — from riding in endurance races for six months after his horse twice failed doping tests... - Full Article
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Commoner

Yeah I heard about the ban! I'm dissapointed for him but 6 months doesn't seem too long. I have to give him credit for notifying the FEI about his horse testing positive.. perhaps he really had no clue and it was all the trainer's doing? who was probably under so much pressure that he got desperate?

Isn't sheikh Hamdan under investigation also? I wonder what his outcome will be...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPixie View Post
Yeah I heard about the ban! I'm dissapointed for him but 6 months doesn't seem too long. I have to give him credit for notifying the FEI about his horse testing positive.. perhaps he really had no clue and it was all the trainer's doing? who was probably under so much pressure that he got desperate?

Isn't sheikh Hamdan under investigation also? I wonder what his outcome will be...
Yes Hamdan is also being investigated. I think we will know in a few days or in a few weeks. I think he will also get a ban but not sure for how long. My guess is that Sheikh Mohammed didnt get 1year is because he notified them and that is only my guess where I think Sheikh Hamdan didnt. I also think the doping has a ban of 1 year (I dont recall where I read it, maybe it was on the FEI site)
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Sheik Mohammed ban shame: Endurance horse's failed dope test leads to six-month penalty | Mail Online

6 months, Mo should be opening the champagne. The media never intended to really pick up on the topic, a huge scandal since he's one of the biggest sponsors of racing at least in the UK and Dubai. Can't even imagine what would happen to the sport if Mo withdrew his money. All in all he got off lightly, others are banned or warned off for a much longer time period.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Sheik Mohammed ban shame: Endurance horse's failed dope test leads to six-month penalty | Mail Online

6 months, Mo should be opening the champagne. The media never intended to really pick up on the topic, a huge scandal since he's one of the biggest sponsors of racing at least in the UK and Dubai. Can't even imagine what would happen to the sport if Mo withdrew his money. All in all he got off lightly, others are banned or warned off for a much longer time period.
I think he got off lightly too. No excuses should have been entertained. < ed by Warren >
Old 08-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1 View Post
I think he got off lightly too. No excuses should have been entertained.
Maybe because he notified the FEI about the situation that they felt a shorter ban would be ok.. plus the fact that the trainer admitted that it was him who had given the drug to the horse also took the blame off sh. Mohammed. Overall Mo had been very co-operative and even launched a personal investigation into why he had discovered his horse tested positive and why he was informed so late.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure Princess Haya is not best pleased about all of this. How unfortunate.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
I'm sure Princess Haya is not best pleased about all of this. How unfortunate.
I dont think she is since she is running an-anti doping campaign
Old 08-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Gentry

The most amusing part of his six month ban is that it ends on October 3.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrashad View Post
The most amusing part of his six month ban is that it ends on October 3.
I did not understand th eban if it ends in October then Sheikh Mohammed would be banned from racing since April but yet he participated in a race in England and won 1st place. Where is the ban? Unless I am missing something which I am sure I am not.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
I did not understand th eban if it ends in October then Sheikh Mohammed would be banned from racing since April but yet he participated in a race in England and won 1st place. Where is the ban? Unless I am missing something which I am sure I am not.
I am only gessing now but maybe the event he participated in and won was not listed as FEI event or something that counts as "official". Maybe he set up and sponsored his own event and won it - wouldn't be the first time would it

It was clear that there wouldn't be too much fuss about the issue since nobody will harm the goose that lays the golden eggs so to say. Where would parts of horsesport be without Mo's money
Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am only gessing now but maybe the event he participated in and won was not listed as FEI event or something that counts as "official". Maybe he set up and sponsored his own event and won it - wouldn't be the first time would it

It was clear that there wouldn't be too much fuss about the issue since nobody will harm the goose that lays the golden eggs so to say. Where would parts of horsesport be without Mo's money
Euston Park Endurance ride is listed as FEI CEI 3* ride. Looking at the calender the ride was listed as private and the actuall race ok place August 9, 2009
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Dubai crown prince banned from equestrian for riding doped horse
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — The International Equestrian Federation has banned the crown prince of Dubai from riding in endurance races for 10 months after his horse tested positive for a steroid.

Sheik Hamdan bin Mohammed al Maktoum was also ordered to pay 5,250 Swiss francs (C$5,337) in fine and costs, according to a ruling published on the FEI's website... - Full Article
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — The International Equestrian Federation has banned the crown prince of Dubai from riding in endurance races for 10 months after his horse tested positive for a steroid.

Sheik Hamdan bin Mohammed al Maktoum was also ordered to pay 5,250 Swiss francs (C$5,337) in fine and costs, according to a ruling published on the FEI's website... - Full Article
Thanks for this Dazzling!
I suppose it could have been worse..
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Here is an article talking about Sheikh Mohammed's ban and that it ended on October 3, 2009 - Article
Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Nobility

didn't exactly know where this would fit...but yeah like 25 mins ago...Sheikh Rashid's horse Conveyance lost the Kentucky Derby really bad....he led the race in the beginning but towards the just seem to have run out of gas...n fell really behind...not sure but i think conveyance came in 15th.
does anyone know if sheikh Rashid was there at the race himself?
*pix hopefully...fingers crossed
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

He did it again!!!! I can't believe it!! I told him not to do so
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Gentry

Sheikh Mohammed's recycled racehorses

If you live in the UK and are an EXPERIENCED rider, able to provide an ex Goldolphin horse with continuing training and a loving home, if approved you could have a Goldolphin gelding for 100.00 GBP + VAT.

I love the idea that Sheikh Mo funds rehabilitation for horses that haven't made the grade or are retired.

Lots of them are getting a new career in dressage, showjumping, showing, eventing, hunting, polo or just being companion animals and family hacks and doing Pony Club stuff.

www.darleyrehoming.co.uk