Dubai Ruling Family and Endurance Racing

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
why don't wee see Rashid any more in sportive competitions for example riding??? :ermm: He used to do a lot of sports...
I am sure its much easier to c Rashid living it up in Vegas than doing something of importance for Dubai...:whistling:

It looked to me like Hamdan's horse was getting increasingly tired, dropping its head. Ultimately, looks like the horse stumbled forward and fell, causing Hamdan to come off. Don't know why that happened, perhaps the horse just wasn't in as good condition as it needed to be. It seems to be the Arab style of riding to let the horse have a lot of rein and drop its head, stretching out in front. You can see that Sh. Mohammed was not particularly impressed by Hamdan's explanation. I'm going to look at that tape again, see if I notice more about the horse's condition.

Yes, on a second look, near the end Hamdan's horse shows signs of wearyness, very downhill (really long hind legs on this horse), shakes its head sightly, ears start flopping to the sides, wants to drop down to a trot, but is encouraged to pick back up into a canter. Car horns right next to the track probably also an additional stress at this point. Looks like it is sweating heavily. Water has been poured over it, but it's not enough. Soon, the horse's head just goes out and down further and further until its knees buckle and it just falls forward. :sad: Probably would have been best for the horse to stop and be walked. I hope it makes a full recovery.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The horse looked very tired & I'm sure that Hamdan and his dad were disappointed but they didn't show it. If i were him I would be very Sad.

I agree with you. The horse looked very tired & I'm sure that Hamdan and his dad were disappointed but they didn't show it. If i were him I would be very Sad.

Sally he shouldn't be sad nor upset because he's always winning the races. I don't think he's THAT selfish though.

Yes, on a second look, near the end Hamdan's horse shows signs of wearyness, very downhill (really long hind legs on this horse), shakes its head sightly, ears start flopping to the sides, wants to drop down to a trot, but is encouraged to pick back up into a canter. Car horns right next to the track probably also an additional stress at this point. Looks like it is sweating heavily. Water has been poured over it, but it's not enough. Soon, the horse's head just goes out and down further and further until its knees buckle and it just falls forward. :sad: Probably would have been best for the horse to stop and be walked. I hope it makes a full recovery.

the horse did have a full recovery i saw him today... and the reason he looks like he wanted to drop to a trot is that hamdan was changing legs.
and LV-GIRL i dont think its funny at all (its never funny when someone falls) and really he got up to see how his horse is doing why would you think thats funny??

That has nothing to do with being selfish, But the feeling that you are near to achieve your goal, plus the car horns are a sign of celebrating his victory cause he was far away from other riders so he was supposed to win then suddenly that unpredictable accident ruined everyhthing. I think it would be a horrible experience to live for anyone not just for him.

the horse did have a full recovery i saw him today... and the reason he looks like he wanted to drop to a trot is that hamdan was changing legs.
and LV-GIRL i dont think its funny at all (its never funny when someone falls) and really he got up to see how his horse is doing why would you think thats funny??
@ Lady Blue u don't have to think its funny just b/c I thought it was funny. We are different people entitled to different pov. I thought his fall was hilarious so wat? Although I am glad he's ok!
;)

I am glad to hear that the horse is doing well.

Endurance races may look simple but that is only because everyone who enters such races must be able to demonstrate appropriate competence. Anyone who has even gone on a one hour guided trail ride should have some comprehension what it might mean to ride for hours, in heat or cold, over varying terrain, frequently at a canter. It is rough on both rider and horse. But this type of riding may be one of the last vestiges of what life has been like for humanity for much of history, and I applaud the Al Maktoum family for promoting it, participating in it, and protecting it.

the horse did have a full recovery i saw him today...

great to hear that! lady blue, do u live in the uae? or in which stable is this horse (naif?)?
endurance races look easier than they really are, yes! and for sure the horns are stress for the horses. we drove with Hamdan's convoy, it is loud and very very dusty and sandy when all the cars driving next to the riders!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of the Al Maktoum family participate in 3-day eventing or compete in dressage? Will there be competitors from the UAE in the Summer Olympics in London 2012?

Don't think so, if they did they would be doing it every summer in UK. The family is into racing thoroughbreds and Arabs and endurance races. Latfifa and is it Ahmed or Rashid have showjumped. Do they do polo ? If they did dressage they would end up in same place as former topless model Katie Price aka Jordan eek.

Don't think so, if they did they would be doing it every summer in UK. The family is into racing thoroughbreds and Arabs and endurance races. Latfifa and is it Ahmed or Rashid have showjumped. Do they do polo ? If they did dressage they would end up in same place as former topless model Katie Price aka Jordan eek.

No they don't, they just compete in the show jumping. I haven't read that any Al Maktoum has competed in dressage so far.

Yes I've read that too! And I have to say I'm pretty excited to see her, hope I can watch on TV. From what I know, Haya is a great rider with a lot of experience. No wonder her name means Horse in sanskrit. I think she's gonna do it great and I wish her good luck :)

doesn't she live in the UAE...then Y is she competing for Jordan???

doesn't she live in the UAE...then Y is she competing for Jordan???

Because she is a Jordanian :) she does live & spend most of her time in the UAE but that does not mean she has to compete for the UAE. She has joined endurance races in the past along with Sheikh Mohammed & she compete for Jordan as well.

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was born in Corfu. If HM The Queen's husband had competed in driving competitions at any level for Greece, I think Brits would be offended.

Kate Middleton lived in Jordan as a child. Just supposing for sake of argument she was Jordanian and competed in equestrian events after marriage as Jordanian, even as wife of the heir to the heir I still think Brits would be offended by that.

So personally I'm surprised that Haya, even as junior wife, will represent another country when married to the Ruler of Dubai.

Both Kate and the DoE are british even though they are born or they lived somewhere else. But Haya isn't an Emirati (even though she lives in Dubai). She's a Jordanian Princess! The fact where you are born or where you lived says nothing about your nationality. Haya also lived in France, Germany and England and still she's jordanian! So it's no surprise she's competing in the Jordanian Team as she still is holding the title of a royal born princess of jordan.

Both Kate and the DoE are british even though they are born or they lived somewhere else. But Haya isn't an Emirati (even though she lives in Dubai). She's a Jordanian Princess! The fact where you are born or where you lived says nothing about your nationality. Haya also lived in France, Germany and England and still she's jordanian! So it's no surprise she's competing in the Jordanian Team as she still is holding the title of a royal born princess of jordan.

Well said :)
I also think you compete on the passport you carry, I am assuming & makes sense to me that Haya did not give up her Jordanian passport after marrying the Sheikh as she is a Jordanian princess in her right. When you compete, you have to register as a local in your country to be listed as an FEI rider to compete in the FEI competitions.

The Duke of Edinburgh was born Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark and renounced the titles and took the surname Mountbatten before becoming engaged to the then Princess Elizabeth also converting from Greek Orthodoxy to Church of England and becoming a naturalised British subject.

When he got married to Elizabeth in 1947 he got HRH and Duke of Edinburgh but he didn't become a Royal Prince of the United Kingdom until after Elizabeth became Queen.

So actually Prince Phillip is Greek by birth and descent and didn't become British until just before he got engaged. :bang:

The DoE is half greek as his mom was princess alice (she's british so the DoE is half-british) He also is allied from both his mom and his dads side with his wife the queen (3rd grade I guess). So it's not like he has nothing british at all. I wonder why you seem to have a problem with the fact that the DoE is born in greece as a greek prince?
But this wasn't the theme before.
We were talking about why Haya is attending the games as a member of the jordanian team, I think this should be clear now :) (Btw. for me it would be more strange if she would attending for the UAE team as she doesn't hold an UAE passport from what I know.)

No Maktoum in the Kentucky Derby this year.

::::::ATTENTION::::: Does anyone know what race in NY the maktoums will be attending these weekend??? And what part of NY is the race happening?? If anyone knows about the info please help!!! THANKS :D

Back
Top Bottom