Titles of the Dutch Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jonkheer/ jonkvrouwe is the lowest noble title in The Netherlands and Belgium, lower than baron/baroness; best compared to the untitled nobility in Germany. When a jonkheer marries his wife will not even become a jonkvrouwe...just plain mrs. X (unless she has some titles of her own).

I was reading in Hello! that the children of Johan-Friso and Mabel will be Dukes/Duchesses, and that the Children of Constantijn and Laurentien would become Count/Countess. Why would J-F and Mabel's children become Dukes/Duchesses? Arn't they higher than Count/Countess? Why would their children out rank Constantijn and Laurentien? I don't get it? Or is a count ranked higher than a Duke?

:huh: I thought that Friso and Mabel's children would be counts/countesses...

I think that the children of prince Johan Friso and princess Mabel will be count and countes of Orange-Nassau, just like the children of prince Constantij and princess Laurentien. The only difference is that Constantijn and Laurentien have the title Prince and Princess of the Netherlands, and Johan Friso and Mabel don´t have that.
The newly weds only have Prince and Princess of Orange nassau.
Besides, In the Dutch Nobility we don´t have dukes anymore.

Thank You for you replies. Royalty Magazine... Was wrong!

Royalty Magazine is wrong more often than not. It has great pictures but isn't known for it's accuracy.

All the children of The Prince of Orange (WA) and Princess Maxima will be His/Her Royal Highness Prince/ss of The Netherlands, Princ/ess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkeer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

The children of Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentine will be The High Born Lord/Lady Count/ess of Orange Nassau, Jonkeer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg with hereditary nobility they also have succession rights within the second degree of kinship to whomever the current monarch may be.

The future children of Prince Friso and Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau with be The High Born Lord/Lady Count/ess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkeer/Jonkvrouw van Orange-Nassau van Amsberg with the hereditary noblity (the hereditary title Count of Orange-Nassau was bestowed on Friso) but with no succession rights.

Only the sons of Queen Beatrix have been allowed to pass on the name of Orange-Nassau.

When did the grandchildren of the Dutch Monarch on the male line be styled "counts and countesses"??? When did this happen. I dont think it was like that historically. They should've also been Prince ans Princesses.

Their haven't been any male line grand children in well over 100 years. So, it would be hard to tell what the precident was for male line grand children.

Willem III (1817-1890) was the last male monarch. He was actually the last male member of the Dutch Royal House that didn't marry into it. He was predeceased by his sons Willem 1840-1879, Maurits 1843-1850, and Alexander 1851-1884. It as his youngest child and only daugter Wilhelmina that succeeded him. There have been only females from the time of Wilhelmina until the daughters of Queen Juliana had sons.

They would have been prince/ss but the government downsized the family and even put a cap on the succession.

The goverment of the Netherlands wanted that the children of Contstantijn and later Friso would have a other tittle than Prince or Princess. They thought that there were too many princes and princesses, and the goverment had to be responsible for the royals. At that time there were 17 members of the royal family.
If Willem Alexander becomes a king, the Magriet line will not be a part of the royal house anymore, The tittles of Magriet´s children are also not hereditary.
And so the goverment gave the tittle count and countess to the grandchildren of queen Beatrix, except for the children of Willem ALexander

The Royal Family is different than the Royal House in the Netherlands. The government has ministerial responsiblity for only the royal House not the Family. The royal family is quite large and includes all the queen's sisters and also their children/grand children while the royal house is regulated to those with succession rights and their spouses (plus ex-monarch and spouse).

1. By Royal Decree of February 16th, 1966 is declared that the children from this marriage (then Crown Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus) would bear the style and title HRH Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands, Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer (Jonkvrouwe) van Amsberg.

2. By Royal Decree of January 25th, 2002 is declared that the children from this marriage (Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess Maxima) will bear the style and title HRH Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands, Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau.

3. The marriage of Prince Johan Friso to Mabel Wisse Smit was conducted without the necessary permission of the Parliament. Prince Johan Friso was therefore automatically declined of the right of succession for himself and his descendants.

By Royal Decree of March 19th is declared that from the moment of his marriage Prince Johan Friso retained the personal title Prince of Orange-Nassau with the style Royal Highness and received the hereditary title count as well as the surname "van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg.

4. By Royal Decree of May 11th, 2001 is declared that the children from this marriage (Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentein) will bear the title Graaf if male (Gravin if female) van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkheer if male (Jonkvrouwe if female) van Amsberg.

A distinction is made in the Netherlands between the royal house and the royal family. Not every member of the Orange-Nassau family is a member of the royal house. Membership of the royal house is restricted by Act of Parliament to the head of state, the former head of state, the members of the royal family in line for the throne, and their spouses. The monarch is head of the royal house. The present royal house consists of Queen Beatrix and her sons - Princes Willem-Alexander and Constantijn, Princess Catharina-Amalia, the daughter of Prince Willem-Alexander, countess Eloise and count Claus-Casimir, the daughter and son of Prince Constantijn, the Queen's father Prince Bernhard, the Queen's younger sister Princess Margriet, her husband Mr Pieter van Vollenhoven, and their four sons Princes Maurits, Bernhard, Pieter-Christiaan and Floris, and the Princesses Máxima, Laurentien, Marilène and Annette.

So how many different ways of styling does the family have at present? I believe it is a great mess without much logic at the moment.

So how many different ways of styling does the family have at present? I believe it is a great mess without much logic at the moment.

children of Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus:
HRH Prince/Princess of the Netherlands, Prince/Princess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrou van Amsberg

Prince Friso lost his title Prince of the Netherlands because he married without the consent of the parliament and was created a Count of Orange-Nassau which is heriditary in the male line

children of Prince Willem-Alexander:
HRH Prince/Princess of the Netherlands, Prince/Princess of Orange-Nassau

children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn:
Count/Countess of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg

children of Princess Margriet:
HH Prince/Princess of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (this titles are personal and not heriditary)

daughters of Queen Juliana:
HRH Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess zur Lippe-Biesterfeld

Princess Irene and Pricness Christina keept her title Princess of the Netherlands when the married without the consent of the Parliament (in contrary to their nephew Friso) because the act of the membeship of the Royal House was changed later so that members of the royal House who marry without the Consnet of the Parliament lose this title.

And to create even more confusion: Princess Irene refers to herself as plain Miss van Lippe Biesterfeld. The children of Parince Maurits have the last name van Lippe Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, while those of his brothers are just plain van Vollenhoven.

I believe the titles of the children of Friso and Constantijn were slightly different too, something to do with the van Amsberg part, but I don´t have time to look that up now.

In over-all the royal family has about 10 different ways of styling, which is a mess indeed.

And to create even more confusion: Princess Irene refers to herself as plain Miss van Lippe Biesterfeld. The children of Parince Maurits have the last name van Lippe Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, while those of his brothers are just plain van Vollenhoven.

I believe the titles of the children of Friso and Constantijn were slightly different too, something to do with the van Amsberg part, but I don´t have time to look that up now.

In over-all the royal family has about 10 different ways of styling, which is a mess indeed.

The van Lippe Biesterfeld name was given to the children of the eldest son of Princess Margriet in honour of Prince Bernhard,ofcourse,to see the name wouldn't phase out in The Netherlands.

The children of Friso and Mabel are Countess of Oranje-Nassau,Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Are you sure that they are also Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw? I thought they were Counts van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, while Constantijns children are Counts of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Are you sure that they are also Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw? I thought they were Counts van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg, while Constantijns children are Counts of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer/Jonkvrouw van Amsberg.

Quite sure,yes.Friso's and Constantijn's children have the same titles:
The Dutch Royal House

:)

Well, I stumbled over the complete title of HM The Queen:

Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, Queen of The Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Duchess of Limburg; Marchioness of Veere and Vlissingen; Countess of Buren, Culemborg, Diez, Katzellenbogen, Leerdam, Spiegelberg and Vianden; Viscountessof Antwerpen; Baroness of Beilstern, Breda, Cranendonk, Land of Cuijk, Diest, Eindhoven, the city of Grave, Liesveld, Warnelou, and IJsselstein; Ladyof Baarn, Bredevoort, Borculo, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Ter Eem, Geertruidenberg, Heilo, Hooge en Lage Zwaluwe, Klundert, Lichtenvoorde, Maartensdijk, Montfort, Polanen, Soest, Sankt Vith, Steenbergen, Turnhout, Willemstad, Zevenbergen and Ameland.

Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld; Jonkheer/Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg

Queen Beatrix and her sisters are bearing the name "Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld" in their names. The sons of Queen Beatrix and Count Claus-Casimir are styled as Jonkheer van Amsberg, her daughers-in-law and her granddaughters (without Amalia, Alexia and Ariane) are also styled as Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg. My question is: Why aren't the sons of Queen Beatrix also styled "Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld", why aren't the daughters of Willem-Alexander and Maxima also "Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg" and don't have a second family name "Zorreguieta", why aren't the children of Constantijn and Laurentien also named "Brinkhorst" and the Luana and Zaria "Wisse Smit"? Has it something to do that the Queen's daughters-in-law are former commoners?

Queen Beatrix and her sisters are bearing the name "Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld" in their names. The sons of Queen Beatrix and Count Claus-Casimir are styled as Jonkheer van Amsberg, her daughers-in-law and her granddaughters (without Amalia, Alexia and Ariane) are also styled as Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg. My question is: Why aren't the sons of Queen Beatrix also styled "Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld", why aren't the daughters of Willem-Alexander and Maxima also "Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg" and don't have a second family name "Zorreguieta", why aren't the children of Constantijn and Laurentien also named "Brinkhorst" and the Luana and Zaria "Wisse Smit"? Has it something to do that the Queen's daughters-in-law are former commoners?

Doesn't it have to do with the fact that titles and surnames usually (with the obvious exception of the titles connected to the Crown) come from the male side? Beatrix and her sisters are Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, as their father, Prince Bernhard, was a prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld. These titles go with the male line, so they wouldn't go to either of the children of the sisters.

Similarly, Prince Claus was Jonkheer of Amsberg - but as he only had sons, and not daughters, these titles go from his sons to their children. I don't know why the daughters of Maxima and WA don't have the Jonkheer van Amsberg, though.

Also, Queen Juliana was also Duchess of Mecklenburg, because of her father, Prince Hendrik was originally a Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. This is not a title of Beatrix, if I've understood the elegant video Marengo posted earlier correctly.

To reply to your final question, it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they're commoners, but rather the fact that they're women. Last names go through the male. If you'll observe the van Vollenhaven family; Pieter van Vollenhaven isn't a royal, but his sons also carry his last name in addition to the of Orange-Nassau. :flowers:

Well I'll admit I dont speak the language, but still, thats quite the mouthfull!

Perhaps it is easier to understand when it is written down? ;)
HM Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard, by the grace of God:
- Queen of The Netherlands
- Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld
- Duchess of Limburg
- Marchioness van Veere en Vlissingen (Flushing)
- Countess of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Dietz, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg
- Viscountess of Antwerpen
- Baroness van Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the city Grave, the Land of Cuijk, IJsselstein, Cranendonck, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Waasten, Arlay and Nozeroy
- Hereditairy and Free-lady of Ameland
- Lady of Baarn, Besançon, Borculo, Bredevoort, Bütgenbach, Daasburg, Geertruidenberg, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Klundert, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Montfoort, Naaldwijk, Niervaat, Polanen, Steenbergen, Sint Maartensdijk, Sankt Vith, Soest, Ter Eem, Turnhout, Willemstad, Zevenbergen

For those who read dutch, this wikipedia site might be helpfull.

Last edited:
Yes it is, thank you Marengo!

I dare someone to try to read all of the queen's titles without taking one single breath? I think I could not do it so many titles and in such litte time.Thanks for posting all the queen's titles I knew some of them but to see them all is wonderful.

The governor of Limburg informed in September with the High Counsil of the Nobility if it was possible for the king to use the title 'Duke of Limburg' again.

According to the counsil, the title was never created by royal decree and thus doesn't have an official status. In the constitution of 1815 it was chosen not to list the titles of the king. However people are free to mention the title at culturally important events in Limburg.

Royalty Online

Interesting,if the Limburg title was re-created by His Majesty would it be the sole dukedom in the Netherlands?

Interesting,if the Limburg title was re-created by His Majesty would it be the sole dukedom in the Netherlands?

If it would be re-created yes.But there are other regions with claims to a Ducal title,like Gelre and Brabant,old mediëval Dukedoms.

As a Crown Prince the Belgian King Filip held the title Duke of Brabant too,referring to the Belgian part of the province of Brabant.We have what we call Noord-Brabant,to make a distinction and to not puzzle the Belgians more then they can manage...grin...

Last edited:
If King Willem-Alexander will abdicate while Queen Maxima is still living, will Maxima then be transfered to HRH Princess Maxima of the Netherlands or could she remain Queen of the Netherlands?

Back
Top Bottom