The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I understand the confusion, but it really is graaf (gravin) van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. It is confirmed on the website of the Royal House (in English): https://www.royal-house.nl/members-r...ce-friso/title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the source. There are indeed discrepancies between the website and the Royal Decrees: The website not only says that "van Oranje-Nassau" is included in the title, but it additionally says that "jonkheer van Amsberg" is a title, whereas according to the Royal Decrees "jonkheer" (without "van Amsberg") is a predicate.
I remain inclined to trust the Royal Decrees over the website regarding the legal definition of the title, given that the decrees are legal documents and the website is not. In Belgium family names are also unofficially referred to as a part of the title, even though from a legal point of view they are not.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 4,585
Please explain why Nassau-Dillenburg is sometimes placed after Willem's first name.
Willem (Nassau-Dillenburg) van Oranje Nassau
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Please explain why Nassau-Dillenburg is sometimes placed after Willem's first name.
Willem (Nassau-Dillenburg) van Oranje Nassau
I have not seen anyone referring to King Willem-Alexander as a Nassau-Dillenburg, but his ancestor Willem the Silent, from whom all members of the Orange-Nassau dynasty descend, was from a branch of the Nassau family based in Dillenburg.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Please explain why Nassau-Dillenburg is sometimes placed after Willem's first name.
Willem (Nassau-Dillenburg) van Oranje Nassau
Because he was from the Nassau branch which resided on Dillenburg Castle. When Willem I inherited the prestigious sovereign principality of Orange from his cousin René von Nassau-Breda, the House Nassau-Dillenburg became known as Orange-Nassau. From all the many Nassau branches, the comital branch Merenberg is the only one existing and on the brink of extinction with only one lady alive.

Wilhelm Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg, Herzog von Nassau
x Pauline Prinzessin von Württemberg
= Nikolaus

Nikolaus Prinz von Nassau
x Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina, cr. Gräfin von Merenberg
= Georg Nikolaus

Georg Nikolaus (von Nassau) Graf von Merenberg
x Olga Alexandrovna Romanova, cr Princess Yurjevskaya
= Georg

Georg (von Nassau) Graf von Merenberg
x Elisabeth-Anne Müller-Uri
= Clotilde

Clotilde von Rintelen née (von Nassau) Gräfin von Merenberg (*1941) is the last living Nassau from a legal male-only descendance.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Please explain why Nassau-Dillenburg is sometimes placed after Willem's first name.
Willem (Nassau-Dillenburg) van Oranje Nassau
Can you cite a source? I assume you are referring to the 'first' Willem de Zwijger (William the Silent; the forefather of the royal family) whose family was part of the 'Dillenburg' section of the Nassaus. See for example this explanation on Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
From all the many Nassau branches, the comital branch Nassau-Merenberg is the only one existing and on the brink of extinction.
I presume you meant only the patrilineal Nassau branches, as the branch in Luxembourg is a long distance from extinction.

The counts of Merenberg never were Nassaus (the name "von Nassau-Merenberg" alleged on Wikipedia does not cite any source). Had they been Nassaus, Count Georg of Merenberg rather than Princess Marie-Adelaide of Luxembourg would have become Grand Duke of Luxembourg in 1912 under the Nassau family pact, which before 2011 gave priority to male relatives in patrilineal line (which he was).

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/nassau.htm
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thanks, that was my understanding of Duc_et_Pair's explanation. In Belgium, however, it works differently: The legitimate child of a count (assuming that his title is hereditary) is a count(ess) even if they use their mother's surname. Les titres de noblesse sont associés à la personne, pas au nom - La Libre
That was not the interpretation ( or the position) , however, of the Association of the Belgian Nobility. In fact, in its submission to the government on the new name law, the ABN explicitly said that, in their opinion, titles of nobility should not be transmitted if the children carried their mother’s name only as surname.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That was not the interpretation ( or the position) , however, of the Association of the Belgian Nobility. In fact, in its submission to the government on the new name law, the ABN explicitly said that, in their opinion, titles of nobility should not be transmitted if the children carried their mother’s name only as surname.
It would be interesting to learn whether the Belgian government concurs with the ABN's position or the position of the specialist cited in the La Libre article. I have been unable to find any information regarding the Belgian government's interpretation. The point would have to be tested if and when a Belgian nobleman registers his child under the mother's name only.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I presume you meant only the patrilineal Nassau branches, as the branch in Luxembourg is a long distance from extinction.

The counts of Merenberg never were Nassaus (the name "von Nassau-Merenberg" alleged on Wikipedia does not cite any source). Had they been Nassaus, Count Georg of Merenberg rather than Princess Marie-Adelaide of Luxembourg would have become Grand Duke of Luxembourg in 1912 under the Nassau family pact, which before 2011 gave priority to male relatives in patrilineal line (which he was).

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/nassau.htm
The counts von Merenberg were 100% Nassaus, but because Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina was seen as a mésalliance for a Prince of Nassau, the descendants of that marriage were known as Counts and Countesses von Merenberg instead of Princes and Princesses of Nassau.

There has been a big dispute on the succession and the vast House of Nassau wealth when Marie-Adélaïde did succeed the throne of Luxembourg and in the end the Luxembourg Parliament agreed to pay an annual sum of 40.000 gold Marks to the Nassaus, eh... "Merenbergs" as compensation for their lost rights. (Similar to the compensation given to Arveprins Knud and his son Prince Ingolf in Denmark, when they lost their succession rights in the 1950's).
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The counts von Merenberg were 100% Nassaus, but because Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina was seen as a mésalliance for a Prince of Nassau, the descendants of that marriage were known as Counts and Countesses von Merenberg instead of Princes and Princesses of Nassau.

There has been a big dispute on the succession and the vast House of Nassau wealth when Marie-Adélaïde did succeed the throne of Luxembourg and in the end the Luxembourg Parliament agreed to pay an annual sum of 40.000 gold Marks to the Nassaus, eh... "Merenbergs" as compensation for their lost rights. (Similar to the compensation given to Arveprins Knud and his son Prince Ingolf in Denmark, when they lost their succession rights in the 1950's).
According to Luxarazzi's summary, Count Georg of Merenberg's lawsuit was fruitless and his claim of having succession rights was not acknowledged, in spite of the 40,000 gold mark pension.

Quote:
At the time, there were three officially legal opinions by distinguished scholars. Two of them stated that Count Georg of Merenberg had no right to the grand ducal crown as his parents' marriage was both not equal and lacked the consent of the then head of the House of Nassau, Adolph, and was thus a morganatic one. This stance was also supported by Luxembourg's government and the Council of State. A third legal opinion, however, argued that as the last male descendant, Count Georg's claim to the throne was a stronger one than that of his female cousins born of an equal and approved marriage.

[...] He also filed a suit with German courts in Wiesbaden for the right of disposition of the Nassauisches Hausvermögen, the assets of the Nassau family.

[...] Having lost this battle, Count Georg also abandoned his lawsuit in Germany shortly thereafter. However, he didn't come away empty-handed as he received a yearly pension of 40,000 Goldmark.
Luxarazzi 101: Counts of Merenberg and Their Claim to Luxembourg's Throne

I have not seen any documentation suggesting that the Merenbergs were ever given the Nassau name or membership in the House of Nassau, but if it exists, please correct me.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,918
Yes, of course it was "fruitless" but he got 40.000 Goldmarks a year (a gold mark was on a gold standard with 2790 marks equal to 1 kilogram of pure gold) which was of course an eye-popping annual capital for those years. They would never have been paid this, were they indeed not male-line Nassaus. That is pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, of course it was "fruitless" but he got 40.000 Goldmarks a year (a gold mark was on a gold standard with 2790 marks equal to 1 kilogram of pure gold) which was of course an eye-popping annual capital for those years. They would never have been paid this, were they indeed not male-line Nassaus. That is pretty obvious.
If they were indeed male-line Nassaus, they would never been excluded from the throne of Luxembourg. That is according to the rules set down in the 1783 Nassau Family Pact and the 1907 family bylaw, which must be seen as more obvious than a large pension.

Note article 26 and article 42 of the Nassau Family Pact (prior to the amendments in 2011):
https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/nassau.htm#26

Furthermore, article 1 of the 1907 Nassau bylaw (before the amendments in 2012)
Mémorial A n° 37 de 1907 - Legilux

Edited to replace the link with the correct one.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Portraits of the Dutch Royals carlota Dutch Royals 46 02-20-2017 05:38 AM
Royals With Many Names & Titles marian Royal Life and Lifestyle 113 08-27-2014 01:11 PM
Dutch Buildings Connected with Dutch & Foreign Royalty Marengo Dutch Royal Residences 3 12-11-2008 07:27 PM
Dutch Royals at the Torino Winter Olympics: February 2006 Marengo King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 187 05-06-2006 01:24 PM




Popular Tags
"chinese gordon" bracelets british royal family britishroyals camilla ceremony clothes corruption current events cypher danish royal family discussão duchessofcambridge duchess of cornwall duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of edinburgh duke of sussex extramarital affairs fashion genealogy general news germany head of the house her children infanta cristina jack brooksbank jacobite juan carlos kate middleton lady louise mountbatten-windsor letter lineage meghan markle modernization nelson mandela bay osborn patron plantagenets porphyria prince aymeric prince harry prince harry of wales prince nicholas prince peter princess princesses princess louise princess royal public opinion queen elisabeth queen mary of teck quizz relationship royal royal ancestry royal ancestry; oscar and sophia royal geneology royal wedding rumania sarah duchess of york soldier state visit tiara van belgië wedding windsor windsor castle windy city wivies



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises