The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Majesty

Titles for Willem-Alexander and Máxima following abdication

following this thread here on Máxima title as queen, i wonder what titles her and WA will take following abdication to Amalia. of course this is a long way away at this point, but i was dissappointed to see Beatrix being made "only" a princess again when she abdicated, and i hope this is reconsidered for Willem-Alexander and Máxima...

Princess Máxima's Future Title

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

That is highly unlikely. After Wilhelmina, Juliana and Beatrix, I just don't see them changing it. After the death of Princess Beatrix, hopefully far away, she will be listed as Queen Beatrix again.

A different scenario would be Queen Máxima surving King Willem-Alexander. The last time this happened was with Queen Emma, née Princess of Waldeck-Pyrmont. She was Koningin-Moeder (Queen Mother) and Regentes because of her underage daughter.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Isn't Maxima really "only" a princess but styled as Queen because of tradition?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Isn't Maxima really "only" a princess but styled as Queen because of tradition?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Yes. At the time of their Wedding it was discussed that she should remain Princess Máxima after WA's accession but the then goverment ndecied to leave the Issue to the goverment who would be in charge at the time of the abdication. Her official title is now Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands not Queen of the Netherlands.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Royal Highness

Dutch law says that a monarch upon addication is styled "Prince of the Netherlands" and that would be Willem-Alexander's title if he stepped down. Maxima, on the other hand, is already a Princess of the Netherlands (and Princess of Orange-Nassau) in her own right and would continue to be so if WA abdicated. In fact, those are her only true titles; she is referred to as "queen" and HM by courtesy only, and not by law.

In any case, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. There is no requirement that WA should abdicate in favor of Amalia and maybe he will never do it. Wilhelmina and Juliana abdicated for health reasons. It is not so clear to me why Beatrix abdicated, as she could easily have kept the job for many years to come, but, again, the fact that she did abdicate doesn't mean her son will do the same in the future.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Majesty

thanks for the clarification! it's interesting seeing all these differences in titles in the different monarchies...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is not so clear to me why Beatrix abdicated, as she could easily have kept the job for many years to come, but, again, the fact that she did abdicate doesn't mean her son will do the same in the future.
The Queen herself stated on television (announcing her abdication):

"I am abdicating, not because my duties are becoming too burdensome, but because I am convinced that it is time for the responsibility for our country to be passed to a new generation. On the 30th of April this year, with the utmost confidence, I shall hand over the kingship to my son, the Prince of Orange."

Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal House Act 2002 says it clear:

Article 8
1. The presumed successor of the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands

Article 9
1. The King, the presumed successor of the King, and the King who has abdicated the kingship, bear the title Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau

wetten.nl - Wet- en regelgeving - Wet lidmaatschap koninklijk huis - BWBR0013729

So, like Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix, also King Willem-Alexander will revert to the style he had before the kingship:

Since 4 September 1948
HRH Princess Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau

Since 30 April 1980
HRH Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg

Since 30 April 2013
HRH Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld

Since ??-??-??
HRH Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg